Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2020 10:47 pm  #1

Washington to retire name

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2899931-washington-nfl-team-reportedly-expected-to-retire-team-nickname-monday

So...this.

This is a bit strange, to say the least—a controversial name is finally getting changed. There have been situations like this in the past with college teams (Arkansas State, North Dakota) but this is the first time a pro team is doing it.

What do you think they’ll do with the identity? I definitely want to see the colors kept but I don’t have a clue what the new name could be.

Discuss here, and for the love of all that is good and holy, BE CIVIL.

7/12/2020 11:06 pm  #2

Re: Washington to retire name

Either Warriors or Redtails.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

7/12/2020 11:12 pm  #3

They said they'll be keeping the colors, so maybe go with Redtails or Warriors as Fine mentioned. 

7/12/2020 11:23 pm  #4

I've seen Redwolves floating around on Twitter, but I don't like that one. My money is on Warriors but who ever knows what Dan Snyder is doing?

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/12/2020 11:56 pm  #5

I don't mind Redwolves, but I feel like "Wolves" would just be better. I don't think that's an option though. 

Really don't want Warriors. It feels like a super basic name, but that's probably what it's going to be. 

7/13/2020 7:11 am  #6

I've been assuming that Warriors would not be chosen because of Golden State.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

7/13/2020 8:02 am  #7

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I've been assuming that Warriors would not be chosen because of Golden State.

I don’t know, we have a Jets in two sports. And the presumed identity of the new Warriors probably wouldn’t be very similar.

7/13/2020 8:18 am  #8

So Redtails had a big push early on and were the Vegas odds on favorite and Lord knows you don't mess with Vegas oddsmakers.  For me, Redtails is cool cause it uses 'Red' and it pays homage to the Tuskegee Airmen, but it sits oddly with me cause it doesn't really have a strong connection to Washington.  If it was a team from Alabama then it would be a slam dunk for me.

The Warriors have become more likely over the past few days.  There are examples of multiple sports teams being named the same thing...but those were named before the hyper copywrite sensitivity.  Giants, Jets, Kings, Cardinals, Panthers, Rangers.  But remember back to when NHL Vegas was naming their team and they were discouraged from using 'Knights' because of the OHL's London Knights and the West Point Black Knights.  And if we are going t move away from Redskins shouldn't we move farther awya from Native American imagery.  And while 'Warriors' can be non-Native American - in this case I don't think it's different enough.  

I doubt the Seahawks would let them do the Redhawks.

Personally, as an Eagles fan I don't mind if they go with a slightly goofy name.  What about the Hogs or Pigskins.  You can keep the color, it references their history.

Also what is going to be really funny is that Washington is going to get a new name than the Seattle NHL team.  If you want a funny IG follow...follow NHL Seattle - no matter what they post 95% of their comments are people trolling them about the lack of name.

Last edited by Gritty (7/13/2020 11:04 am)

7/13/2020 12:36 pm  #9

I saw a suggestion for Washington Warthogs the other day and its kinda growing on me

7/13/2020 4:56 pm  #10

It probably slipped under the radar for most people, but when I posted the writeup for the most recent NDL Expansion Board, I listed Washington's NFL team as the Americans. This isn't something I've seen thrown around much, but I think it could be a way to still represent Native American culture while not being complete racists about it, or it could be more inclusive and generic. (It also has the bonus of not being a name I would consider for an NDL team.) That said, I think it's much more likely that they completely cut ties with everything except the colors and go with a name like Redwolves or something.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

Board footera