Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2020 5:23 pm  #521

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

Really interesting draft, normally rivals wouldn't be so willing to trade with each other..but I guess with the size of the league there isn't much avoiding it.

I think Boston did..okay? I've got no idea where they'll be going forward. Personally, I think it's Worcester's division to lose. 

7/08/2020 5:32 pm  #522

Well with Montreal blowing it up, hopefully that means we have a slightly higher chance of making our first postseason appearance. As for us, I think we did okay in the draft overall. Heights as a risky pick seemed like an interesting choice, but I like it. If he sticks than it might be what we need to just push us in, if it's not than I don't think it hurts us too much. Sucks that Bowman was off the board, would've been really cool to see him fall to us. Settling for Spencer won't hurt too much I hope.

7/08/2020 7:56 pm  #523

This has to be my favorite draft so far with all the wild trades and high risk picks. This coming season is really shaping up to be the most interesting one yet with so much change going on.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

7/09/2020 4:16 pm  #524

Re-Sign Stage - 1955

Sean Bowen and Frazier Brooks Stay in Buffalo 
Buffalo Blue Wings
After acquiring DL Sean Bowen at the draft last year, Buffalo had to make a great impression for Bowen to accept his player option which would add 2 more seasons to his contract. The good news is that they clearly did with Bowen taking home Defensive Player of the Year. Bowen will remain in Buffalo for the next 2 seasons. Frazier Brooks also signed a mega-deal which will make him the highest-paid safety in the league with numbers nearing the best QBs in the league. Brooks signed a 6-year contract worth a total of $154,000. He will be played $24,000 next season with increases in years 3 and 5 of the deal to $26K and $27K respectively. Alongside Brooks and Bowen, Buffalo also locked up DL Johnathan Brown for another couple seasons at $19,000 a year and the recently acquired DB Ollie Guy to 3 years at $17,500 a year. 

Star Running Backs Don’t Go Anywhere
Boston Independents, Montreal Rouge

Both Boston and Montreal have shown a clear change of direction this offseason. They have both been great teams over the first 6 years of the NAAF, but they clearly needed to get younger. Despite that change of direction both of the team’s aging backs decided to stick around for a couple more seasons. Montreal RB and 3-time MVP Élisée Marchal signed on for 2 more years at $28,000 per year, and Boston’s Joel Bonner stayed put with 2 years at $26,000. Both players love their teams and will continue to provide their skill to the teams despite what could be a couple of down years. 

Bonner Stays, Floyd, McFadden Out
Boston Independents

With Joel Bonner sticking around, you would think several other Boston players would stay but a pair of veterans have decided to test the market and possibly compete one more time. OL Randy McFadden wasn’t happy with the team trading longtime teammate OL James Chambers and decided to change things up himself. The OL has been a big part of the Independents' success and will be a great anchor for a team. WR Samuel Floyd on the other hand was looking at fewer touches with other WRs Ethan Walters and Ellis Lindholm who were becoming the new 1-2 punch in the offense. Floyd has been known as one of if not the fastest WRs in the league and will be a great addition for any team. DB Francis Veillette will also join the two players in free agency as Boston rebuilds their secondary.

Other signings
S Michael O’Brien BOS - 2Y, $18,500 - Player Option in year 2
WR Nathan Green BUF - 3Y, $11,000
QB Maurice Norris BUF - 1Y, $11,000
OL Lewis David LI - 2Y, $16,000
DB Jontray Cox MTL - 4Y, $14,000
S Jumon Cobb MTL - 4Y, $14,000
DL Napoléon Chevalier ON - 1Y, $18,000
WR John Rivera ON - 1Y, $22,000
DL Robert Garrison ON - 3Y, $14,000
LB Mickaël Beaumont OTT - 2Y, $17,000
LB Leo Davenport OTT - 2Y, $12,000
DB Will Atkinson PRO - 2Y, $12,000
S Marvin Tillman PRO - 2Y, $8,500
OL James Chambers WOR - 1Y, $13,500 

Top 10 Free Agents
OL Randy McFadden - BOS
WR Samuel Floyd - BOS
QB Bruce Woodard - PRO
DB Francis Veillette - BOS
RB Timothy Weeks - ON
DL Reilly Cooper - ON
RB Jacque Montier - WOR
QB Andrew Sexton - LI
DB Anthony Massey - MTL
DL Jean-Michel Duchane - MTL 

Last edited by Wallflower (7/09/2020 4:17 pm)

7/09/2020 4:32 pm  #525

Uh oh..I don't like seeing that 3 out of the top 4 Free Agents are all Independents. 

7/09/2020 6:27 pm  #526

Rebuilding year, here we come.

7/11/2020 3:54 pm  #527

1955 Free Agency 

The Independents Scatter
Heading into the free agent window, 3 of the top 4 free agents were coming off of the Independents roster. WR Samuel Floyd, OL Randy McFadden, and DB Francis Veillette. Each of them has helped Boston to win Championships and get to 5 of the first 6 NAAF finals. However, all good things come to an end as each player decided to go different directions. WR Samuel Floyd was probably the most intriguing with his lightning speed and big-play potential. Floyd was approached by several teams that wanted to boost their receiving core. Providence and Worcester were early competitors for the WR, but they would ultimately lose out to Buffalo who would sign Floyd to a 2-year deal with $19,500 a season. Floyd will be at the top of the WR core with WR Joseph Barry. A great addition after the team traded WR Travis Gallagher at the draft.  

OL Randy McFadden would sign next. Similar teams were interested in McFadden but he would ultimately decide to join the Athletics. The biggest factor was longtime Boston teammate OL James Chambers who was traded there at the draft. The Chambers trade was a major factor as to why McFadden left in the first place. 
Finally, DB Francis Veillette surprised a lot of people with his choice. While many expected him to join a contender like Ottawa or Buffalo, Veillette would decide to go with the underdog Raiders. Bringing on Veillette gives the Raiders a solid secondary with DB Slay Mitchell and DB Amyre Rouleau which further gives some much-needed hope on Long Island. 

Woodard Hits the Sideline
QB Bruce Woodard has likely seen his last starting job in the NAAF. With the Gold Stars going forward with QB Connor O’Rourke it was clear that Woodard would move on, but with the Raiders drafting Lyle Painter and Montreal grabbing Lee Rogers, the rest of the league has their starting guy. Woodard was waiting till the Gold Stars called to have him back as the backup next season with all the craziness happening, but the team never called. It was another squad that was all for bringing on the former MVP. The Royals would sign Woodard to a one-year deal to bring him in to back up fellow former MVP Jean Matieau. Woodard won't be taking many snaps, but he might get another shot at a trophy, following in the footsteps of QB Maurice Norris and QB Evan Morrow.  

Minor Trades Were Sprinkled Throughout Free Agency
Following the big moves that occurred during the NAAF draft, there were another handful of minor trades that happened as GM’s try to fine-tune their teams heading into the season. The Ontario Tigers were going into the free agency window without much space on the payroll to go after any players. While they have most of their roster set, GM Joseph Johnson was willing to make a pair of moves to improve the team and save some money. The first would send DL John Prince, who they had acquired from Buffalo at the 1954 Draft, to Providence in exchange for OL prospect Patrick Reinsdorf. The move saved the Tigers $9,500 and opened up a roster spot for 5th overall pick DL Olympus Heights. A week following the trade, the Tigers would acquire another player from Montreal. Veteran OL Pierre-Louis Trouvé would be acquired by the Tigers in exchange for undrafted WR Marty Jay. Trouvé is a long time Rouge OL and will be a big help to Ontario’s O-line, but he also had a high salary, but they would get Montreal to pay for $8,500 of his $14,500 salary to free up the space for the Tigers. In return, Montreal gets WR Marty Jay who has shown lots of growth with the Tigers and could be a great piece for the Rouge.  

The other two moves come from the American teams. The Worcester Athletics acquiring DB Eugene Christensen from Buffalo for their 1956 4th Round Pick. Christensen is a veteran DB who will be able to help out in Worcester, while Buffalo gets a spot for DB Lou Lake to be on the roster in his first season. The final trade happened between Boston and Providence, where backup TE Alexandre Moisan would be sent to Boston in exchange for undrafted OL Cory Alston.  

Top Free Agent Signings
OL Randy McFadden - WOR - 3Y, $15,000
WR Samuel Floyd - BUF - 2Y, $19,500
QB Bruce Woodard - OTT - 1Y, $15,000
DB Francis Veillette - LI - 2Y, $18,000
RB Timothy Weeks - WOR - 1Y, $8,000
DL Reilly Cooper - WOR - 2Y, $14,000
RB Jacque Montier - OTT - 1Y, $11,000
QB Andrew Sexton - PRO - 1Y, $5,000
DB Anthony Massey - OTT - 1Y, $10,000
DL Jean-Michel Duchane - OTT - 1Y, $10,000 

Undrafted FA Signings
K Henderson Schumacher - LI
RB Sam Snell Jr. - MTL
QB Tony Malcolm - MTL
TE Phineas Vandenlangenberg - WOR
LB Phillip Murphy - BOS
LB Bastiano Cerutti - LI
WR Tomas Skoglund - PRO
LB Patrick Lynch - PRO 

7/11/2020 4:37 pm  #528

Tough offseason for Boston hopefully my gold stars can take advantage of this opportunity.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

7/11/2020 6:37 pm  #529

I think Boston misses the playoffs, and I think Worcester takes the New England Divsion.

7/11/2020 10:03 pm  #530

Phineas Vandenlangenberg is my favorite named player. My company had employed someone with that last name, and I knew I wanted to use it.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera