Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2020 3:35 pm  #951

Re: AltHL Legacy

I'll take 7th, but I was hoping I'd might slip into the top 5 somehow, especially with Minnesota's failures in the Shield. Oh well congrats to those who did. I'm also glad Bourque made it to the Pantheon.

8/26/2020 8:08 pm  #952

Starting off our Top 5 are the Minnesota Loons.  The CHL's lone American team, the Loons raised the first ever Canadian Shield.  They won their second in 2008.  I understand that people may have wanted either Vancouver or New York ahead of the Loons but I just couldn't do it.  

The Loons were one of the true models of consistency.  They had 15 playoff appearances and over 850 wins.  When I was ranking the Loons I considered the fact that they went to the Finals 8 times.  That is almost half of all Canadian Shield Finals.  

The Loons were known for the suffocating defense and shut down goaltending.  The CHL had to invent rules to prohibit the Loons style of play in order to increase offense.  

MARTIN BRODEUR is our next inductee to the Pantheon.  I had to debate between Marty and Hasek.  Ultimately I went with Brodeur for two reasons.  1.) He won more GOY Awards (by one).  2.) He led the Loons to much more team success (not necessarily Dom's fault but it is a factor).  I wasn't worried about it too much since Dom will get in next year.

8/26/2020 9:35 pm  #953

It’s embarrassing that I forgot about Marty being in the Canadian league, that takes the sting out of Hasek missing it.

Welcome to the Pantheon, Martin Pierre Brodeur.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/27/2020 5:39 am  #954

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

It’s embarrassing that I forgot about Marty being in the Canadian league, that takes the sting out of Hasek missing it.

Welcome to the Pantheon, Martin Pierre Brodeur.

No, no it does not. I voted for him!

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

8/27/2020 10:24 am  #955

#4 The Halifax Kingfishers

The Kingfishers vaulted into the top five thanks to two Shield Victories in the final two seasons.  The Legacy Project unfortunately cuts out a decade of dominance by Halifax.  The project started with Ed Belfour, Chris Chelios and Jeremy Roenick and ended with Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith and a juggernaut roster.

Halifax only made the playoffs 8 times. That isn't that many considering their four CHL titles.  They boast one of the best playoff records in the AltHL.  It is a shame that the majority of the project was bookended by two mini-dynasties but largely took place during the rebuild in between.

CHRIS CHELIOS is proudly admitted to the AltHL Pantheon.  Chelios a many of infinite years was the captain and leader of the early Fisher title teams. He made the all star team 6 times.  He finished his career with Toronto where he won another 4 Shields.  He was a slam dunk for the Pantheon.  

The Pantheon thus far:

CHL:
G - Martin Brodeur (MIN)
D - Chris Chelios (HAL & TOR)
F - Wayne Gretzky (QUE & BOS & PHL)
F - Joe Sakic (MTL)

AHA:
G - Patrick Roy (SF & MTL)
D - Ray Bourque (NY & MTL)
F - Jaromir Jagr (CHA & PHL & SEA)
F - Mario Lemieux (CHA)

8/27/2020 10:40 am  #956

This team was the definition of bookending on our time. That’s nuts.

Also, after all the recent controversy, bold to put Roenick and Belfour’s names out there! JK, they were excellent players and deserving

And as usual, welcome to the Pantheon, Christos Kostas Chelios.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/27/2020 11:19 am  #957

Also, after all the recent controversy, bold to put Roenick and Belfour’s names out there! JK, they were excellent players and deserving

Ha very true. I would like to think that Steelman's influence in Halifax would have straightened them out a bit

8/27/2020 2:57 pm  #958

I'll take a top 5 finish

Crazy to think that there was a legitimate chance that we could have won 8 Shields...

Glad to see Marty in the Pantheon as he deserves

8/27/2020 6:29 pm  #959

Gritty wrote:

Ha very true. I would like to think that Steelman's influence in Halifax would have straightened them out a bit

Irene gave them boys a stern talking-to and they straightened right out.

Nice to see Chelios get some love. If this team had been given 5 years before or after, we'd be #1, I'm sure of it. 4th place feels about right, though I might have tried to argue for 3rd, which I assume will be Philadelphia. Tough break to weather a nasty basement-dwelling rebuild in the middle of the project years, but that's how it goes. What a ride.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/27/2020 6:31 pm  #960

Congratulations on 4th to more successful Calgary!

Board footera