Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2020 9:37 pm  #121

Re: AltHL - Owner Draft and Beyond

Today, Los Angeles Titans owner Stickman quietly announced two new teams to be used as farm league teams, leaving the press conference before questions could be asked regarding his role in the "Cheap Motel Drone" incident, which caused Senator Seymore Richards to resign his position.

AAA: Sacramento Whales

AA: Long Beach Surf  

(EDIT: Realized I the two team names worked better when reversed, so that's why there's an edit here.  Nothing to do with the Drone incident, which owner Stickman still denys having a part of).

I'll have to PM you later with design ideas!

Last edited by Stickman (4/12/2020 10:01 am)

4/11/2020 9:55 pm  #122

At the AAA level, JHA has announced they will be affiliated with their hometown F-M Hjemkomst (Fargo-Moorhead Homecoming) in Fargo/Moorhead, ND/MN. Down in the Southern Dakota, the AA Rapid City Mounts will take the ice.

The Hjemkomst was named after the ship of the same name that was built in nearby Hawley, sailed to Norway, and shipped back to its permanent residence in Moorhead. Hjemkomst, Norwegian for homecoming, represents the Great Plains, America's Heartland, and those that have increasingly moved to the coasts to seek fame and fortune but have returned to the place they truly call home.

The Mounts were named after both Mount Rushmore, famous for the busts of four former U.S. presidents, and the history of riding horses for hunting and ranching in the area. Another large sculpture in the area, the Crazy Horse Memorial, depicts a mounted Crazy Horse pointing to the future.

(Edited for grammatical accuracy, it really bugs me when I do this.)

Last edited by JamHeronArk (4/12/2020 9:07 am)

4/11/2020 10:18 pm  #123

Stickman wrote:

the "Cheap Motel Drone" incident, which caused Senator Seymore Richards to resign his position.

Oh no

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

4/11/2020 10:20 pm  #124

Section30 wrote:

The Minnesota Loons would like to announce the Duluth Giants as their AAA Affiliate. The Giants name comes in reference to the cities location on the shores of Lake Superior as well as the iconic Aerial Lift Bridge in Duluth.

The Loons would also like to announce the name of their new AA affiliate, the Rochester Rattlers. To the surprise of many of you I'm sure, Southeast MN is known to have Timber Rattlers that live in the valleys of the area. Serpents are also a symbol in medicine and Rochester is home of the world famous Mayo Clinic.

I have always loved the name Giants for a Minnesota team.  You would know better than me but i think there is a myth of Scandinavian Giants in Minnesota.  I am pretty sure there are remains that they have found..https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/local/saukrapids/2016/01/14/tall-tale-sauk-rapids-giant-skeleton-remains-mystery/78649100/

4/11/2020 10:25 pm  #125

Context for the team names:

Barrels (AAA) refers to the multiple people who have ridden Niagara Falls in a barrel, including Annie Taylor, Bobby Leach, William “Red” Hill Sr., and Charles Stephens (Okay, that last guy died and had his arm ripped off, but he made it over the falls, so he still counts).

Syrup Kings (AA) refers to maple syrup. Obviously.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

4/11/2020 10:40 pm  #126

I am proud to announce the two affiliates of the Winnipeg Arrows:

AAA Thunder Bay Osprey or River Hawks (River Hawks being another name for an Osprey) I had them as the Giants, named after the natural landmark of the Sleeping Giant, but of course Section30 beat me to the punch. Nothing really special about the Osprey other than it would be a bird in the area, and something a little different, wouldn't mind some feedback on if I should stick to Osprey or go River Hawks instead

AA Kelowna Bobcats
Once again simple but I love Kelowna so I thought I would give them a team as well, might flip flop the two yet on which level as Kelowna is a bigger city, but I figured the Thunder Bay/Duluth rivalry would be a good one to keep intact.

4/11/2020 10:59 pm  #127

CHICAGO, Illinois-- Today Chicago Ghosts' owner WithaCapitalG announces plans to honor a long-time farm team commitment as well as help jump start a new team to the farm league field.

Chicago will be the parent organization to AAA team Indianapolis SuperChargers after several weeks of dicussion with Indy ownership about potentially moving on from the partnership.

"At the end of the day, it was better to honor a commitment that Ghosts fans have long had since the black and grey's birth. Indianapolis is an outstanding team and we're proud to have them with us as we head into a new era of Chicago hockey," WithaCapitalG said.

Ghosts' front office personnel toyed with the idea of starting their second team in Milwaukee to replace the AAA need. Indianapolis and Chicago have been partners since the AltHL's inception in 2000. The SuperChargers play its games at Pennzoil Ignition Arena in downtown Indianapolis.

On the AA front, WithaCapitalG announced a new team in Daytona Beach, Florida.

"I know this isn't exactly something fans were expecting," WithaCapitalG said, "But city leaders approached us about their plans to unveil a multi-purpose downtown arena and we just couldn't say no to that opportunity."

Chicago has had rotating relationships at the AA level with failed teams in Des Moines, Iowa, Lexington, Kentucky, and Green Bay, Wisconsin over the past few seasons.

Last week Daytona Beach revealed that the AA team will be donned the Daytona Wraiths under navy and red banners. Local reports say the team logo is expected to be a tattered checkered flag to honor the famous NASCAR race as well as the parent club's moniker. The Wraiths plan to play at the new Halifax Health Arena in downtown Daytona.

"Again, we want to thank Daytona and the Wraiths for their commitment. We know this is kind of off-the-wall but the ownership made it clear to make a distinction between hockey and motorsports without completely abandoning the culture of NASCAR altogether. Come Speedweek, we fully expect to see many Wraith Car fans in attendance," WithaCapitalG said.

4/11/2020 10:59 pm  #128

The owner of the New York Gargoyles; Dr. Pepper, is proud to announce the minor league affiliates of the team as the following:

The Hartford Narwhals as the AAA affiliate.

and

The Syracuse Spartans as the AA affiliate.

The Narwhals are named so the put a fun twist on the long history of whaling in Connecticut. The Spartans were named after the city itself. Syracuse was named after the ancient Greek city, Siracusa.

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (4/11/2020 11:00 pm)

4/12/2020 12:56 am  #129

CHICAGO, Illinois
--In addition to the minor league team announcements, the Chicago Ghosts unveiled plans to officially open The Haunted Ice House in the Fall of 2020 as the official home of the Ghosts for the foreseeable future on Saturday.

"This is incredibly exciting," WIthaCapitalG said, "It's an opportunity to leave the early Ghosts history in the past and to be ushered into the new era of Chicago hockey."

The Haunted Ice House plans to seat around 16,000 spectators each night hosting a variety of games in addition to Ghost matches like basketball, interscholastic hockey, high school tournament games, neutral site contests, concerts, etc.

This is the second home in Chicago's history coming off a near 20-year stint at Donald Arena which saw little on-ice success and an ownership era shrouded in darkness. Donald Arena, and the team playing on it, was famously referred to as the Horror Show on ice for abysmal performances sprinkled with a few successful seasons.

With special events being an option for AltHL franchises, WithaCapitalG hopes for a traditional "Halloween Game" every year along with outdoor classics hosted in Chicago at potential sites of Soldier Field, Wrigley Field, Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, and possibly Ryan Field in Evanston.

"Instead of being headstrong about the history, we will embrace it. This is meant to be a rebirth, another chance, at a special team in a special place with passionate fans," WithaCapitalG said, "It creates opportunity for something really fun to be had. We won't ignore the blemishes of the past but we will embrace it, threading it in with our identity."

Earlier today, WithaCapitalG announced AAA and AA affiliations for the upcoming seasons. Both farm teams will play at The Haunted Ice House at some point during the 2020 campaign.

"Excited is an understatement. I'm just stoked to get this thing going," WithaCapitalG said.

FACTS ABOUT THE HAUNTED ICE HOUSE:
- Seating capacity of 16,000
- Construction costs $58 Million
- Official "super fan" section at either end dubbed "Ghost Squad"
- Luxury suites and boxes available
- Overhead projectors for on-ice graphics
- Officially team entrance song "I've Got 5 On It (Teathered Remix)" from 'Us'

Last edited by WithaCapitalG (4/12/2020 12:57 am)

4/12/2020 1:26 am  #130

The Halifax Kingfishers announced their minor league affiliate teams today. Their AAA affiliate will be located in Moncton, New Brunswick and will be called the Moncton Magnetics. The team is named after a popular tourist attraction near the city called Magnetic Hill, a gravity hill and entertainment complex. The "Mags" are sure to be a popular minor league team in the booming economy of Moncton.

Also joining the Halcyon Sports Group is the Kingfishers' new AA affiliate in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia which will be named the Cape Breton Highlanders, after the historic infantry regiment of the Canadian Army and the deep Scottish-Gaelic heritage in the area. In keeping continuity with the great province of Nova Scotia, Steelman wanted to make sure the team honored their heritage and roots.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera