Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/12/2019 12:15 pm  #231

Re: An Alternate History of American Football: The NAFA

1963-64 NAFA Season Summary

Thanks for all the comments on the previous off season.

Regular Season Standings

East Division
(1) Boston Riders: 14-0
(6) Philadelphia Americans: 7-6-1
New York Blues: 2-12
Washington Federals: 1-12-1

Central Division
(5) Ottawa Capitals: 8-5-1
Toronto Nationals: 7-6-1
Detroit Sparks: 6-7-1
Cleveland Lumberjacks: 2-10-2

West Division
(2) Indianapolis Chiefs: 13-1
(3) St. Louis Knights: 11-2-1
(4) Chicago Cougars: 9-4-1
Minneapolis Black Bears: 4-9-1

Headlines

- Boston records the first undefeated regular season since the New York Football Club in 1950.
- St. Louis' only two losses come against Indianapolis.
- Chicago's defense has another great season, but their offense lags behind.
- Washington QB Travis Bryan suffers a possibly career-ending leg injury in week 2.
- Philadelphia defeats Toronto in Week 1 (28-17) giving them the tie-breaker for the 6th seed in the playoffs.

End-of-Season Awards

Most Valuable Player: Scott Jacobs | QB | Boston Riders
Rookie of the Year: Sal Broderick | QB | Indianapolis Chiefs
Coach of the Year: Perry Daniels (Boston Riders), Bryon Beauchamp (Indianapolis Chiefs)

Postseason Results

PLAY-IN GAMES

Philadelphia Americans 19   at   St. Louis Knights 14
January 18, 1964 | Sportsman's Park | St. Louis, MO

Philly LB Nelson Stokes dominated the St. Louis O-Line, recording 9 tackles, 3 sacks, and 2 FF. Rookie QB Nick Phillips connected with WR Nate Jennings twice for TDs.

Ottawa Capitals 9   at   Chicago Cougars 28
January 19, 1964 | Lakeside Memorial Stadium | Chicago, IL

Ottawa's only points come off 3 Robert Johnson field goals from 32, 34, and 41 yards. Anthony Thomas goes 14-23 for 138 yards and a TD, as well as 12 rushes for 78 yards and a TD for the Cougars.

SEMIFINALS

Philadelphia Americans 23   at   Boston Riders 32
January 25, 1964 | Rodgers Stadium | Boston, MA

The Riders continue their undefeated season behind a big game from MVP Scott Jacobs who finished 27-32 for 341 yards and 4 TDs. Nick Phillips was intercepted twice in the loss.

Chicago Cougars 21   at   Indianapolis Chiefs 23
January 26, 1964 | Miami Stadium | Indianapolis, IN

Trailing 14-3 after the 1st quarter, the Chiefs rack off 20 unanswered before Chicago finally scores a TD in the final seconds. Rookie QB Sal Broderick continues his electrifying season going 13-14 for 200 yards and a TD with 11 rushes for 123 yards and a TD.

CONTINENTAL BOWL XVI

Indianapolis Chiefs 37   at   Boston Riders 30
February 2, 1964 | Yale Bowl | New Haven, CT

It was practically a home game for the Riders, whose fans filled ~70% of the Yale Bowl. Those who attended the game were treated with a spectacular offensive showcase by both teams, especially by the quarterbacks, who combined for 594 passing yards. In the end, Indianapolis performed in the clutch, winning the 4th quarter 13-0, capturing their first Continental Bowl victory in franchise history.

Continental Bowl XVI MVP: Sal Broderick | 24-37 | 291 yards | 3 TD | 17 carries | 98 yards | TD

Congratulations to the Indianapolis Chiefs on their first Continental Bowl victory!

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for viewing, C&C is appreciated.

Last edited by DoctaC (9/12/2019 12:16 pm)

9/12/2019 12:33 pm  #232

A Chiefs championship, and some new teams coming! This is awesome!

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

9/12/2019 7:20 pm  #233

Finally! We seal the deal. Let's go Chiefs!
Excited for the new team identities! 

9/12/2019 11:25 pm  #234

Man, my OG team the Lumberjacks are really struggling. Wasn't Hunter supposed to be back this season?

Looking forward to the new Pittsburgh team!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

9/13/2019 4:38 am  #235

Cool!  The Chiefs finally got the monkey off the back!  Very nice, really thought they were going to be the "cursed" franchise!  Stinks for the Riders to lose after that great undefeated season (but then, it's always fun to see New England based teams blow a championship after an undefeated season....).

9/14/2019 1:56 pm  #236

Steelman wrote:

Man, my OG team the Lumberjacks are really struggling. Wasn't Hunter supposed to be back this season?

Looking forward to the new Pittsburgh team!

Hunter did return this season, but he just wasn't the same as before his injury. Cleveland claims he still wasn't 100% and hopes he can put it back together for their 1964-65 campaign.

1964 NAFA Off Season: Part I

Pittsburgh was the first expansion franchise to reveal their identity. It was revealed at a press conference in downtown Pittsburgh on March 7, 1964:

They're named after the three bridges that cross the Allegheny River known as the "Three Sisters," and the 3 rivers that meet in Pittsburgh - the Allegheny, Monongahela, and Ohio.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Los Angeles reveled their identity the next week on March 13, 1964 at their own press conference inside the LA Memorial Coliseum:

The team is named after the palm trees that are spread across the LA landscape. 

In terms of divisional realignment, it will not take place until the next two expansion franchises are added next season. For now, LA will join the West Division and Pittsburgh will join the Central.

Only one team, the Toronto Nationals, made an adjustment to their look. They added a word mark across the front chest of their jerseys. This is actually the first change Toronto has made since 1951:

Thanks for viewing, C&C is appreciated.

9/14/2019 2:35 pm  #237

LA and Pittsburgh look amazing! I love both of the names as well, especially the uniqueness of Pittsburgh's name. Although their highlighter yellow is a tad bright, I might try and tone it down. Los Angeles' color scheme is great, green and blue wouldn't be my first option for an LA team but the shades you chose represent the city and tropical feel greatly! Both logos are also great!
Toronto's update feels collegiate, not the biggest fan. Reminds me of the current browns set a tad, with the redundant wordmark.

And are you doing sigs? Could I get a Chiefs sig if you are?

9/14/2019 3:12 pm  #238

First things first.  I absolutely LOVE what you did with Pittsburgh's jersey!  That city would be had to work around creatively, since pretty much every single Pittsburgh ever has black and yellow as a color combination.  The yellow first approach is phenomenal!  I'm personally fond of the yellow myself, but even if it was darker, it'd still look great!  Only complaint is that I personally don't care for the team name much.   But it's absolutely unique indeed and a nice tie-in to the city's bridges!

Los Angeles... excellent.   Perfect logo, unexpectedly fun color combination, and that number font is pretty sweet too!  Fits a flashy style that I'd expect out of a 60's LA team!  

As for Toronto's wordmark, while it looks nice, I'd actually say that it's too modern for the time frame.  I'm not sure when teams started the wordmark trend, but I'm nearly 100% sure it wasn't until in the 1960s, actually maybe not till the 2000s.  Otherwise, yeah they look great!

Great job as always!

9/14/2019 8:35 pm  #239

Man! That Pittsburgh set is GLORIOUS. I am a very satisfied fan! The name is still growing on me but really fantastic work there. I would love to have a Pittsburgh sig in the size of my THL or the Dashball sigs.

Nice color scheme for LA, unexpected but really works.

For Toronto I think the wordmark front would work better if the front number was removed or significantly made smaller, seems it would better fit the style of the time. Maybe a maple leaf on the front with a small number inside of it? Something wacky like that. Currently seems too modern.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

2/04/2020 11:04 am  #240

I hate to bump a topic that's been dormant since last September, but it would be a shame to see all this great work go to waste.

Board footera