Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2019 7:56 pm  #211

Re: An Alternate History of American Football: The NAFA

Name: Adam Libby
Bio: 4th Generation Owner of Libby Glass and Steel
Choices for Expansion: Dallas:  Largest City in the South, will be able to handle the trips up north thanks to the new DFW Airport.  Montreal: one of the Original cities of the NAFA, can have excellent rivalry with Detroit, Toronto and Ottawa. Pittsburgh, Steel City is close to the teams in the League, shouldn't hurt in travel cost. LA, another large city the can handle the travel cost with the LAX airport. 

Last edited by ZO82 (8/26/2019 8:02 pm)

8/26/2019 9:28 pm  #212

DoctaC wrote:

Here are a few options for a different Cleveland Lumberjacks helmet design:

C&C is appreciated.

I think 3 or 4 work/look best to me. The filled version is more striking to me, so whichever one of those two goes best with the set would be my vote. I think I'd lean toward #4 though.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/27/2019 11:14 am  #213

I like number 4. Also Montreal is in Quebec, not Ontario. Probably a simple error.

8/27/2019 1:32 pm  #214

Name: John "Red" Karcz
Bio: Red was an Army man through and through, and after returning from WW2 opened an auto parts store in his hometown, Muncie, IN. That store grew quickly, and Red now owns 37 stores across the Midwest, and is looking to expand further. He's a die-hard Chiefs fan, even using their colors for his store's signage.
Choices for Expansion: Red has traveled around the Midwest for work, and has started expanding his travel radius. As with his own business, he knows that you're either growing, or dying, and feels that an expanding footprint is the best course of action. As such, he votes:
1) Dallas - Not too far, but not in the same footprint. This is a logical first step west. Not too far from St. Louis.
2) Houston - A natural rival for Dallas right off the bat, keeping the Dallas travel a little more manageable.
3) Miami - A gorgeous city with great weather. Players will want to play there, fans will enjoy games the entire season, it could easily be a league favorite quickly.
4) Los Angeles - They almost need another city between them and Dallas (if added) or St. Louis (if Dallas not added). I'd love to see them make the west the NAFA's newest playground, and a future Denver or more west coast teams will make them the cornerstone of the NAFA's western expansion.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/27/2019 1:37 pm  #215

As for the Lumberjacks, I like #3. The axes don't get lost in the shell, and the green helmet is a better look.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/27/2019 6:05 pm  #216

Definitely gonna throw my hat into the ring for helmet 3 too.

8/27/2019 8:12 pm  #217

Thanks for the feedback on Cleveland, everyone. I went back and went with helmet #3, as well as returning the brown socks.

8/27/2019 9:02 pm  #218

1962-63 NAFA Season Summary

Regular Season Standings

East Division
(1) Boston Riders: 13-1
(4) Philadelphia Americans: 10-4
Washington Federals: 6-7-1
New York Blues: 2-11-1

Central Division
(3) Toronto Nationals: 10-3-1
(6) Ottawa Capitals: 9-5
Cleveland Lumberjacks: 4-8-2
Detroit Sparks: 2-12

West Division
(2) Indianapolis Chiefs: 11-2-1
(5) Chicago Cougars: 9-3-2
St. Louis Knights: 7-6-1
Minneapolis Black Bears: 1-11-2

Headlines

- Chicago's dominant defense leads them to the playoffs despite their offense averaging just 12.5 ppg for the season.
- Boston starts 12-0 before losing at Philadelphia in Week 13 for the best start in NAFA history.
- Detroit HB Ruben Ross sits out over half the season due to a contract dispute.
- With Stuart Hunter (now age 31) missing another year with his collarbone injury, the Cleveland Lumberjacks fail to make the playoffs once again.
- The Riders' offense sets and NAFA record, averaging 26.1 ppg.

End-of-Season Awards

Most Valuable Player: Scott Jacobs | QB | Boston Riders
Rookie of the Year: Larry Sims | DE | Chicago Cougars | Rd. 1 Pk. 3
Coach of the Year: Byron Beauchamp | Indianapolis Chiefs

Postseason Results

PLAY-IN GAMES

Ottawa Capitals 13   at   Toronto Nationals 10
January 19, 1963 | Toronto Stadium | Toronto, ON

In the Battle for Canada, Ottawa's defense came up big, allowing just 3 points over the first 3 quarters. On the offensive side of the ball, TE Jared Cox led them with 5 receptions for 65 yards and a touchdown. Former Ottawa QB Guy Ward exited the game in the second quarter with a left forearm injury.

Chicago Cougars 21   at   Philadelphia Americans 0
January 20, 1963 | National Field | Philadelphia, PA

Chicago's stellar defense was headed by rookie DE Larry Sims who finished with 8 tackles, 3 sacks, and a forced fumble. They only allowed Philadelphia to enter the red zone twice. QB Anthony Thomas passed for 194 yards and also led the team in rushing with 105 yards.

SEMIFINALS

Ottawa Capitals 14   at   Boston Riders 23
January 26, 1963 | Rodgers Stadium | Boston, MA

The Riders were led by QB Scott Jacobs who went 23-28 for 234 yards and 3 TD. Ottawa was unable to get their offense going until late in the fourth quarter, scoring two touchdowns in the final 6 minutes of the game.

Chicago Cougars 17   at   Indianapolis Chiefs 13
January 27, 1963 | Miami Stadium | Indianapolis, IN

Wanting to play in front of a home crowd in the Continental Bowl (Lakeside Memorial Stadium is the host of this year's CB), the Cougars defense showed out once again. They forced 5 turnovers (3 INT, 2 FF) and scored both of the team's touchdowns. In the loss, HB Ruben Zimmerman rushed for 92 yards and a TD for Indy.

CONTINENTAL BOWL XV

Chicago Cougars 24   vs   Boston Riders 20
February 3, 1963 | Lakeside Memorial Stadium | Chicago, IL

In arguably the most hyped Continental Bowl yet, the best offense and best defense in the league went at it. After a slow start (the score was 0-0 after the 1st), the offenses for both teams picked it up, and the score was 10-10 entering the break. Boston came out and quickly took the lead, 17-10, and then 20-10 on their next drive. At the close of the third quarter, Chicago QB Anthony Thomas scampered in for a 15-yard TD, cutting the lead to just one possession. After both teams couldn't get anything on the first three drives of the quarter, Chicago's defense came up big once again. With 5:05 remaining, Boston QB Scott Jacobs was picked off by Chicago CB Jermaine Maldonado who returned it to the house giving Chicago the lead 24-20.

Continental Bowl XV MVP: Jermaine Maldonado | 4 Tackles | 1 TFL | 1 INT | 1 TD

Congratulations to the Chicago Cougars on their 2nd Continental Bowl!

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for viewing, C&C is appreciated.

8/27/2019 9:20 pm  #219

Big fan of the Cleveland update! Although the green and white helmet bares a little resemblance to Boston, I do really like the logo though, its probably the best you've done!

Name: Abigail Winter
Bio: College Professor at the Eastern Kentucky University, originally from Cincinnati, currently a fan of the Indianapolis Chiefs, hoping for a team to reach her hometown.
She votes for the following:

Cincinnati, a great market that is the finishing touch to the ohio river valley area.
LA, the next biggest market, and the west is just starting to open up, San Fran might be next
Dallas, Texas is probably the most marketable market still without a team, so take the biggest city.
Miami is an emerging city that holds a lot of potential. I'd really like to see how the league handles a team down there!

Edit: And c'mon Chiefs. God we can't play in the postseason, I swear.

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (8/27/2019 9:21 pm)

8/28/2019 5:52 pm  #220

Name: Charles Singleton
Bio: Originally from White Plains, NY, and a graduate of Yale University, Singleton is the Chairman and Founder of Singleton's Sports Warehouse, a growing sporting goods retailer in the Northeastern US. Singleton is also a fan of the 5x NAFA Champions, the New York Football Club.
Choices for Expansion: 

Dallas, TX
Los Angeles, CA
Montreal, QC
Pittsburgh, PA

Board footera