Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2019 6:54 pm  #181

Re: An Alternate History of American Football: The NAFA

I really really like the Riders name and identity! Washington's logo looks a bit modern for its time though. Maybe remove the circle and monument for now? I'm not too sure what else could fix it however. I do like the name and colors though.

7/22/2019 1:27 am  #182

Both of the new identities are nice. I like the color scheme for Boston, along with the shoulder yokes. I think the logo is a good start but needs to later morph into something more aggressive. I think a rider on a galloping rather than prancing horse while holding the famed lantern might be cool.

I really like Washington's logo and color scheme. I think the outlines make it seem more modern, I'd revert to flat numbers to match the logo and change the home numbers to blue for now.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/02/2019 10:39 pm  #183

After another break, I'm back with the:

1960-61 NAFA Season Summary

Regular Season Standings

East Division
2 - Boston Riders: 11-3-0
Philadelphia Americans: 7-7-0
New York Blues: 6-6-2
Washington Federals: 0-14-0

Central Division
1 - Ottawa Capitals: 12-2-0
3 - Detroit Sparks: 10-3-1
4 - Cleveland Lumberjacks: 9-4-1
Toronto Nationals: 3-10-1

West Division
5 - St. Louis Knights: 8-5-1
6 - Indianapolis Chiefs: 8-6-0
Minneapolis Black Bears: 7-5-2
Chicago Cougars: 3-11-0

Headlines

- Boston secures the 2nd seed in the playoffs in their first season in franchise history.
- Ottawa wins their division for the first time in franchise history.
- After starting the season 2-6, the Indianapolis Chiefs rack off 6 straight wins in order to clinch the 6th seed in the playoffs.
- The Central and West Divisions dominate, with Philadelphia and New York both having disappointing seasons in the East.
- Washington goes win-less in their first season.

End-of-Season Awards

Most Valuable Player: Guy Ward | QB | Ottawa Capitals
Rookie of the Year: Roman Hamilton | WR | Cleveland Lumberjacks
Coach of the Year: Perry Daniels | Boston Riders

Postseason Results

PLAY-IN GAMES

Indianapolis Chiefs 23   at   Detroit Sparks 18
January 14, 1961 | GM Field | Dearborn, MI

Indianapolis' defense allows 6 red zone trips by the Sparks, but prevent a touchdown all 6 times. Chiefs TE Sean McDonald catches 2 touchdowns and receives the game ball.

St. Louis Knights 21   at   Cleveland Lumberjacks 28
January 15, 1961 | Erie Bowl | Euclid, OH

Cleveland QB Stuart Hunter dominates the Knights' young secondary, going 26-29 for 341 yards at 4 touchdowns. In the loss, St. Louis HB Christopher Allison rushes for 177 yards and 2 touchdowns.

SEMIFINALS

Indianapolis Chiefs 34   at   Ottawa Capitals 21
January 21, 1961 | Marchand Field | Ottawa, ON

Indy increases their win streak to 8 games behind great games from HB Ruben Zimmerman (126 yds & 2 TD) and CB Ray Floyd (13 tkls, 2 INT, TD). Guy Ward plays his worst game of the year, going just 12-28 for 131 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT.

Cleveland Lumberjacks 14   at   Boston Riders 31
January 22, 1961 | Rodgers Stadium | Boston, MA

After taking the lead 14-3, Stuart Hunter would exit the game with an ankle injury and not return. The Riders then racked off 28 straight on their way to a Continental Bowl appearance in just their first season.

CONTINENTAL BOWL XIII

Indianapolis Chiefs 30   vs   Boston Riders 34
January 29, 1961 | Kings County Stadium | Brooklyn, NY

Trailing 30-27 with 2:03 remaining, Boston QB Scott Jacobs leads the Riders on an 84-yard drive down the field. With :23 left, Jacobs throws a 34-yard touchdown to TE Erik McKenzie in the back of the end zone that would be deemed "The Throw of the Century." This play would set the record for passing yards in a Continental Bowl.

Continental Bowl XIII MVP: Scott Jacobs | 28-37 | 442 yards | 4 TD

Congratulations to the Boston Riders on their historic Continental Bowl Victory! They are the 6th franchise that has been able to call themselves NAFA Champions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for viewing, C&C is appreciated.

Last edited by DoctaC (8/02/2019 11:07 pm)

8/02/2019 10:44 pm  #184

Steelman wrote:

Both of the new identities are nice. I like the color scheme for Boston, along with the shoulder yokes. I think the logo is a good start but needs to later morph into something more aggressive. I think a rider on a galloping rather than prancing horse while holding the famed lantern might be cool.

I really like Washington's logo and color scheme. I think the outlines make it seem more modern, I'd revert to flat numbers to match the logo and change the home numbers to blue for now.

Boston will get a new logo in the future that will look much more aggressive.

I went back and changed the numbers for Washington, thanks for the suggestion. I think it matches the logo much better.

8/03/2019 1:48 am  #185

You've left me speechless, but in the best possible way. Go Ridahs!

8/03/2019 5:25 pm  #186

Riiiiiiiged. - salty Jacks fans (me) haha

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/03/2019 8:26 pm  #187

How do we make it but lose everytime, cmon chiefs.

8/03/2019 9:21 pm  #188

Wow!  Nice job Riders!  First season champions!  I believe the Cleveland Browns in real life pulled off a similar feat around the same time period (within a decade), but unless I'm mistaken, didn't they have an established (great) team when they entered the NFL?  I'd imagine the Riders having to start from scratch, so very cool story to read!   

Last edited by Stickman (8/03/2019 9:21 pm)

8/04/2019 11:08 pm  #189

1961 NAFA Off Season: Part I

Since the inception of the league, NAFA teams have just been able to sign players exiting the college football scene. At last year's league meetings, the NAFA Board of Owners voted (10-2) on the creation of a new entry draft for players leaving college and entering the NAFA. The draft will be held on the second Friday of June every year and consist of 15 rounds.

1961 NAFA DRAFT
June 9, 1961 | NAFA Headquarters | Manhattan, NY

First Round

Round 1, Pick 1: Washington Federals select Travis Bryan
QB | 6-3 212 lbs | Memphis State (8-1)

Round 1, Pick 2: Chicago Cougars select Anthony Thomas
QB | 6-0 183 lbs | #1 USC (11-0)

Round 1, Pick 3: Toronto Nationals select Abraham Weber
RB | 5-10 177 lbs | Ohio State (6-3)

Round 1, Pick 4: New York Blues select Greg Holland
G | 6-2 239 lbs | Michigan (2-7)

Round 1, Pick 5: Philadelphia Americans select Nelson Stokes
MLB | 6-3 249 lbs | Nebraska (9-2)

Round 1, Pick 6: Minneapolis Black Bears select Larry Murray
S | 5-11 183 lbs | West Texas A&M (9-2)

Round 1, Pick 7: St. Louis Knights select Junior Coombs
CB | 6-0 185 lbs | Duke (8-2)

Round 1, Pick 8: Detroit Sparks select Aaron Barnes
TE | 6-3 228 lbs | Arizona (5-5)

Round 1, Pick 9: Cleveland Lumberjacks select Isaiah Perrin
G | 6-1 244 lbs | Kansas (6-3-1)

Round 1, Pick 10: Ottawa Lumberjacks select Sean Smith
Offensive Tackle | 6-2 243 lbs | Dartmouth (9-0)

Round 1, Pick 11: Indianapolis Chiefs select Jacob Weaver
WR | 6-3 186 lbs | Ohio State (6-3)

Round 1, Pick 12: Boston Riders select Stefan Mock
DT | 6-2 248 lbs | Georgia Tech (7-3-1)

IN THE NEWS

After spending that past 13 years coaching and owning the New York Blues, Commissioner Tom Evans has decided to sell them. Instead of splitting his focus between his franchise and the NAFA, he will now zero-in on the league and growing it from coast to coast. Don't worry, the Blues aren't going anywhere, as Evans is selling the team to business associate Bob Patrick. 

Now in the need of a new head coach, the Blues went out and hired James Goodwin of USC. Goodwin coached the Trojans to a national championship this past season and will hope to continue his success in the NAFA.

A blockbuster trade occurred between the two Canadian teams; the Toronto Nationals and Ottawa Lumberjacks. Toronto sent their 1962 1st & 3rd Round Picks, 1963 1st & 11th Round Picks, and DT Daryl Johnston in exchange for MVP QB Guy Ward. Ward had had a falling out with Capitals management over his contract and demanded a trade. This is a huge move for the Toronto Nationals, as it intermediately makes them contenders.

Another trade that got less press than the Canadian deal was one between the Chicago Cougars and Philadelphia Americans. The Cougars sent their 1963 2nd & 13th Round Picks and WR Ron Wheeler to Philadelphia for their 1962 1st Round Pick.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading, C&C is appreciated.

Last edited by DoctaC (8/08/2019 1:26 pm)

8/05/2019 3:00 pm  #190

1961 NAFA Off Season: Part II

Two teams changed their looks this off season; the Ottawa Capitals and the Philadelphia Americans.

The Capitals went under a complete re brand and now look much more like a football team. They kept the tradition of the "Northwestern Style" stripes on their white uniform.

The Americans became the first team to use an alternate uniform. It is blue and will be worn for divisional home games.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for viewing, C&C is appreciated.

Last edited by DoctaC (8/05/2019 3:00 pm)

Board footera