Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2019 10:42 pm  #141

Re: An Alternate History of American Football: The NAFA

I've shortened the write-ups so that they're quicker to make. That way I can go faster through the seasons and focus more on expansions and off seasons.

1957-58 NAFA Season Summary

In celebration of the NAFA's 10th season, all teams wore a patch on the left shoulder of their uniforms. Here is an example of this patch applied to the Cleveland Lumberjacks' set:

Regular Season Standings

East Division
x - Cleveland Lumberjacks: 10-2-0
x - Philadelphia Americans: 8-3-1
Ottawa Capitals: 7-4-1
New York Blues: 5-5-2
Toronto Nationals: 5-6-1

West Division
x - Indianapolis Chiefs: 8-4-0
x - Minneapolis Black Bears: 6-5-1
St. Louis Knights: 5-7-0
Chicago Cougars: 4-7-1
Detroit Sparks: 2-9-1

x - Playoffs Clinched

Headlines

- Cleveland QB Stuart Hunter sets the NAFA record for passing yards in a season with 3,086.
- Ottawa has a very good season as an expansion franchise, just barely missing the playoffs.
- After the final game of the season, New York HB Lester Riley announces his retirement from football.
- Indianapolis wins the west for the second year in a row.
- Minneapolis' stellar rookie class leads them to their first playoff berth.

End-of-Season Awards

Most Valuable Player: Stuart Hunter | Cleveland Lumberjacks | QB
Rookie of the Year: Grady Hayes | Minneapolis Black Bears | QB
Coach of the Year: George Pratt | Ottawa Capitals

NAFA Postseason Results

East Division Final: Cleveland Lumberjacks 28, Philadelphia Americans 24
January 4, 1958 | Erie Bowl | Euclid, Ohio

Trailing 24-21 with 3:04 left, Stuart Hunter led the Lumberjacks on a game winning drive that clinched their second Continental Bowl appearance in a row.

West Division Final: Indianapolis Chiefs 34, Minneapolis Black Bears 11
January 5, 1958 | Miami Stadium | Indianapolis, IN

After leading 9-3 at the end of the first quarter, Minneapolis gave up 31 unanswered points before a safety with less than two minutes remaining.

Continental Bowl X: Cleveland Lumberjacks 23, Indianapolis Chiefs 6
January 12, 1958 | Yankee Stadium | New York, NY

Stuart Hunter capped off his historic season with another great performance, leading the Lumberjacks to their first Continental Bowl win while going 22-27 for 239 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Congratulations to the Cleveland Lumberjacks and their fans on their first Continental Bowl in franchise history! They have finally completed their turnaround behind the arm of Stuart Hunter, and seem to just be getting started.

Thanks for viewing, C&C is appreciated.

Last edited by DoctaC (7/08/2019 10:45 pm)

7/09/2019 2:48 am  #142

This series is a good one! The Ottawa uniforms are unique and readily identifiable with them. Keep up the spectacular work!

7/09/2019 7:23 am  #143

Awesome!  Nice to see Cleveland finally pull it off!

I think the shorter write ups are a good idea for the reasons you said, plus it's easier to read through as well!  Keep up the great work!

7/11/2019 12:56 am  #144

Congrats to the Jacks! Well worth the heartache!

Good stuff, Doc. Enjoying the series.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/11/2019 12:33 pm  #145

1958 NAFA Off Season

Due to the increased presence of the NAFA on television, two teams have added TV numbers to their uniforms. Many will also do this in the coming years.

Toronto added the TV numbers but made no real changes to their look:

St. Louis, on the other hand, went under a pretty major rebrand. They now have a new logo and uniform design with the same color scheme:

Other than those two changes nothing else happened this off season that was worth mentioning. Thanks for viewing, C&C is appreciated.

Last edited by DoctaC (7/11/2019 8:20 pm)

7/11/2019 1:04 pm  #146

I think the fleur de lis in shield could work for the logo on their own. If you wanna keep the St. Louis text I would try like a ribbon below the shield more like a soccer crest, or at the very least lowering the text box so the fleur de lis is fully visible.

7/11/2019 1:26 pm  #147

^I agree. I think the slanted text makes it look quite modern, but the fleur de lis in the shield is a good idea. 

7/11/2019 4:09 pm  #148

I think I also agree.  While I'm not by any means a uniform historian, the St. Louis wording seems a little modern to me.  However, the shield and fleur de lis is a good enough logo for the time frame.  Also, I like the switch to blue as their primary color.

Toronto, as usual, looks incredible despite the simplicity of the design. Still the best looking team in my opinion so far.

7/11/2019 7:55 pm  #149

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I changed the St. Louis Knights logo to just the shield with the fleur de lis.

7/11/2019 8:03 pm  #150

Excellent update by St. Louis. I like the shoulder hoops for them a lot.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera