Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/29/2020 3:53 pm  #41

Re: The North American Association of Baseball!

2004 Offseason:

After California's dominating run to the league championship, fans of other teams were hoping for a good offseason. The Golden Suns got even better, adding 7.3 WAR, while most teams actually lost WAR. That said, the Golden Suns are projected to finish only third in their division. In fact, every Western Division team is projected to be over .500. Of course, this would mean that the Eastern division winner would be under .500. That team is projected to be the Monuments, hoping for their first playoff appearance. 

In related news, Commissioner Rose has announced that the NAAB would be expanding for the 2006 and 2007 season! The league sent invitations to ten cities across the country: Charlotte, Phoenix, Miami, Seattle, Nashville, Cleveland, Kansas City, Dallas, St. Louis, and Denver. All ten responded, and potential owners were contacted and began developing their presentations. Four cities will be selected, to be added over two years. In related news, the league will realign in 2007 to have two leagues instead of divisions, East and West, with six teams in each league. 

(I'll add the expansion rules in a post that will come directly after this one.)

2/29/2020 5:03 pm  #42

Candidates for the 2006-2007 NAAB Expansion:

Charlotte, NC:
2005 Population: 610,949
Stadium: Planned stadium conditional on gaining an NAAB team. The city has just spent tons of money on the new arena for the Charlotte Hornets after new owner Bob Johnson pitched in some to convince the city to help out. However, if the city gets a team, they’ll build a new stadium with 35,000 seats. Rank: A-
Fan Support: Both the Panthers and Hornets bring in plenty of fans, and the Charlotte metro is the fastest-growing in the country. However, the transplant nature of the city means fans might be inclined to root for the teams from other cities, and not a Charlotte team. Rank: B+ 

Cleveland, OH:
2005 Population: 452,208
Stadium: City officials have been upfront about saying that as long as the city gets a team, they will fund most of the stadium with new taxes and bonds. They have presented the best plan for a stadium and city officials are hoping it alone will push Cleveland into the discussion. Rank: A+
Fan Support: Cleveland fans are known for their incredible support of the Browns throughout their weaker years, and the Cavaliers have received a huge boost known as LeBron James. Rank: A 

Dallas, TX:
2005 Population: 1,213,825
Stadium: Both Dallas and Arlington have submitted independent proposals to help fund a new stadium. Dallas’ requires more from the ownership group, but allows for more seats and in a central location downtown. Arlington’s, however, would be almost entirely publicly-funded, but wouldn’t have the same benefits Dallas does. Rank: Arlington - B, Dallas - A-
Fan Support: Dallas is known for its sports and baseball is no exception. When the prospective owner put out a fan poll through the Cowboys’ email network, he found that almost 90% of them would support a Dallas baseball team. Dallas looks like the city to beat in the expansion. Rank: A+ 

Denver, CO:
2005 Population: 557,917
Stadium: Mile High is where the team would play until a new baseball-specific stadium can be built, hopefully by 2008. However, baseball conditions at Mile High are unknown. Rank: B+
Fan Support: Denver’s sports teams have been doing great, with the expansion Avalanche tearing up the NHL and the fans coming out in droves to see them. However, league officials are concerned that could be due to the team’s success. Rank: B

Kansas City, MO:
2005 Population: 444,965
Stadium: The ownership group is in talks with the Chiefs to retrofit Arrowhead Stadium to fit a baseball field and are hopeful that the massive parking lot next to Arrowhead could fit a new stadium in due time. As of now, however, they have no stadium, even a temporary one. Rank: C+
Fan Support: Kansas City goes crazy for the Chiefs and would also go wild for any baseball team. Rank: A 

Miami, FL:
2005 Population: 386,417
Stadium: The ownership group plans to use Pro Player Stadium, which was built with baseball in mind. Conditions haven’t been tested except for exhibition games, which have reported less than stellar conditions. Rank: C
Fan Support: Fans in Miami are known for their long-standing support of the Dolphins and the Heat, but the NHL’s Panthers haven’t been doing well. League officials aren’t very confident about Miami’s fan support to last, especially while the team isn’t a contender. Rank: B- 

Nashville, TN:
2005 Population: 549,110
Stadium: Nashville would play at Vanderbilt’s stadium until a new stadium could be constructed, and there hasn’t been any discussion among league officials, city officials, and the ownership group about funding and construction. Nashville’s ownership group has been somewhat disorganized and seems to be a last-minute rush job. Rank: C-
Fan Support: The Titans haven’t been a huge success since moving and the Predators have been flat-out abismal in terms of attendance. Ownership claims that this is because both teams haven’t been successful on the field/ice, despite the Titans reaching the Super Bowl in 1999. Rank: C 

Phoenix, AZ:
2005 Population: 1,461,575
Stadium: A domed stadium currently used by Arizona State University, any prospective Phoenix team would have to make room for itself in the growing Phoenix sports market, with the Suns, Cardinals, and the relatively new Coyotes all proving themselves to be somewhat popular. The stadium is also seven years old and doesn’t have some of the profit-driven aspects of other stadiums, like plenty of luxury boxes. Rank: B-
Fan Support: As stated earlier, Phoenix fans are in no short supply of teams to support. However, with plenty of them, the ownership group is confident that fans will embrace any Phoenix team. Rank: A- 

Seattle, WA:
2005 Population: 573,911
Stadium: The city currently has no stadium fit for the NAAB and city officials have been cold in response to using public money to build one. However, with Seattle’s plethora of billionaires, the league is hopeful that someone will step up and join the ownership group if the city is granted a conditional franchise. Rank: F (but A if ownership will step up)
Fan support: The Seahawks and SuperSonics have plenty of fans, and the city is known for its loud and proud fandom of both teams. Rank: A 

St. Louis, MO:
2005 Population: 324,945
Stadium: The city of St. Louis and the Busch brewing company have submitted a joint proposal to build a new stadium for the new team with Busch getting the naming rights. The plan is solid, and is likely to happen anyway to build a combined baseball and football stadium to keep the Rams satisfied. Rank: A-
Fan Support: It’s known that St. Louis loves sports. The Rams and Blues have been doing great, and St. Louis looks to be a frontrunner for the MLS. Rank: B

Ok, here are the expansion council rules: Pick four (4) cities you think would be the best fit for the NAAB, in order. After the 2005 postseason is posted, I'll close the polls and announce the cities that won. Feel free to include suggestions for names along with your cities, although I have a couple in mind for some cities already.

Last edited by QCS (2/29/2020 10:45 pm)

2/29/2020 5:38 pm  #43

Dallas
Charlotte
Phoenix
Cleveland

2/29/2020 6:09 pm  #44

St. Louis
Seattle
Kansas City
Denver

Last edited by Section30 (3/01/2020 3:23 pm)

2/29/2020 6:54 pm  #45

St. Louis
Seattle
Phoenix
Denver

3/01/2020 1:00 am  #46

Dallas
St. Louis
Cleveland
Charlotte

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

3/01/2020 10:23 am  #47

I should add that I'm only counting votes for the ten cities I listed in the expansion post, and I won't be counting anything suggested outside of that. That said, if you want to change your vote, Section30, that's totally fine with me.

3/01/2020 1:18 pm  #48

Miami
Cleveland
Seattle 
Denver

3/01/2020 3:20 pm  #49

QCS wrote:

I should add that I'm only counting votes for the ten cities I listed in the expansion post, and I won't be counting anything suggested outside of that. That said, if you want to change your vote, Section30, that's totally fine with me.

Oh my bad I somehow didn't see the list, I updated it!

Last edited by Section30 (3/01/2020 3:21 pm)

3/03/2020 10:12 pm  #50

Cleveland
St. Louis
Dallas 
Charlotte

Board footera