Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2020 8:58 pm  #11

Re: The North American Association of Baseball!

Steelman wrote:

I like the winged A logo. That's nice. I feel like the Atlanta wordmark needs a little more weight to it, feels a bit thin for a baseball mark. I could see the serif with an added same-color stroke around the outside edges to provide some depth and rounded corners. I would consider flipping the colorway on the cap so it pops more instead of the red inside.

The JETS font seems super arbitrary compared with the classic serif on the rest of the set. But it's an alt jersey so it works but doesn't feel as connected.

The color scheme is great but the overall package is a little less than cohesive. I think you've got plenty to work with here though.

Yeah, I feel like this one needs a little work. I was struggling for ideas a bit for them, but I think I'll go back and play around with the jerseys in particular. The JETS mark was meant to be more representative of the "Jets" part of the name, since it's the only jersey where the name appears. Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by QCS (2/23/2020 11:06 am)

1/24/2020 9:34 pm  #12

Before I get to those updates, here's the next team! Representing the nation's capital, here are... the Washington Monuments!

Taking their name from the world's tallest obelisk, the Monuments take pride in their District's heritage. Ditching the common red, white, and blue scheme most DC teams take on, the Monuments opted for a simple red and white scheme, taking cues from the DC flag. The logo takes the form of a "W" with the Washington Monument itself forming the split. The jerseys are simple, with the home and away using the wordmark with flag-themed striping on the sleeves (you can't see it, but there's a third star on the back). The Road Alt replaces the wordmark for the logo and chest numbers. The Home Alt is a little different, however. It replaces the wordmark with the flag itself, creating something uniquely DC that happens to look pretty darn good.

So, what do you think? I really like the shading on the logo and how the flag striping looks. I think this one is something unique and creative, probably in the top tier of concepts I've created.

C&C welcome!

1/26/2020 12:28 pm  #13

Holy cow, a baseball league on this site? This is actually quite promising! The identities are also pretty solid so far! My only critique is that the line on the white circle in the league logo should be more curved, to make it look a bit more like a baseball, but other than that, you have some pretty unique stuff going on so far! I also have a few questions: 

1. Will there be expansion councils by any chance? Or does that depend on how you simulate the league?
2. Who will televise games in this league? Will there be fictional or real life networks?

That's all I have for now, aside from how the Washington Monuments are my favorite team for now since I find their logo to be very appropriate for the time period you are aiming for. I can't wait to see where this goes!

1/26/2020 2:17 pm  #14

Slapshot Kirby wrote:

Holy cow, a baseball league on this site? This is actually quite promising! The identities are also pretty solid so far! My only critique is that the line on the white circle in the league logo should be more curved, to make it look a bit more like a baseball, but other than that, you have some pretty unique stuff going on so far! I also have a few questions: 

1. Will there be expansion councils by any chance? Or does that depend on how you simulate the league?
2. Who will televise games in this league? Will there be fictional or real life networks?

That's all I have for now, aside from how the Washington Monuments are my favorite team for now since I find their logo to be very appropriate for the time period you are aiming for. I can't wait to see where this goes!

I'll definitely go back and update the league logo as well as the Jets, but I'll reveal all eight starting teams before that. To answer your questions, yes, there will be expansion councils, though not every team will be decided by council. I'd like to get as much input as possible, however. The games would be televised by the same real life networks, since in this universe, not much has changed aside from the MLB not really existing. Thanks for your input!

1/26/2020 7:00 pm  #15

I really think you nailed DC. I've lived there on several different occasions and I think you captured the iconic look of the flag motif without going overboard. I like the whole set!

Will you be showing the back of the jerseys at all? Does every team have NOBs?

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

1/26/2020 7:24 pm  #16

Steelman wrote:

I really think you nailed DC. I've lived there on several different occasions and I think you captured the iconic look of the flag motif without going overboard. I like the whole set!

Will you be showing the back of the jerseys at all? Does every team have NOBs?

Thanks for your compliments! Every team does have NOBs, I just didn't make a back side to the jersey. I'll probably go back and update the template after the first eight teams have been revealed.

1/26/2020 11:31 pm  #17

Alright, we have a late-night addition: thundering in from H-Town, the... Houston Storm!
Houston has been known for its intense storms that strike the area, and this team takes no exception! They intend to take the baseball world by storm with lightning fast pitching and thundering slugging! The dual blues represent the dual power of rain: calming or powerful. The yellow is for the bright lightning found within storms. 

The uniforms are pretty retro-inspired, with shoulder yokes and a powder blue option. I tried to make the home uniform mostly light blue, with the away being mostly dark blue, with yellow accenting the set throughout. The away hat doesn't have any light blue on it, while the normal cap uses a light blue front, dark blue back, and yellow brim. The alt is light blue with the primary on the front and yellow numbers on the chest. There's not a whole lot to say about this set, I think it's just a clean, good-looking set.

(Side note: the color scheme is inspired by this album by my favorite band, so there's a little more bias here. I think the colors work really well together, so I'm pretty proud of this one!)

What do you guys think? This will take the place of a Dallas-based team I had planned (mostly due to this one being done and the Dallas one being not done), but Dallas will get a team in the future.

C&C welcome!

1/29/2020 11:01 pm  #18

Ok, I'm back! Sorry, school's picked up once again and I was struggling with concepts. But I finally cranked one out, and I'm pretty proud of it!

Without further ado, presenting, from the Windy City... the Chicago Lakers!
Obviously, the Lakers take a lot of inspiration from Chicago's famous flag. The blue and red come directly from it and so does the star. However, not wanting to just use the generic "stars" name, the ownership group turned to something a little more unique: the lake Chicago sits on! Lake Michigan serves as the inspiration behind the central icon, with a Chicago star placed near the city while maintaining balance. Flag-style stripes surround blue Chicago stars on the outer ring, with "Chicago Lakers" circling it. This primary is supplemented by just the lake and star as well. It felt wrong to portray the lake as anything other than blue and the stars as anything other than red, so the lake will never appear on a blue background and the star won't appear on red without a thick blue outline. The jerseys are pretty standard, with no striping but a script wordmark and blue numbers with red outlines on the chest and the primary on the sleeve. The alt is light blue with a "Chicago" script and the star in place of the chest numbers. The normal cap is white paneled with a red back and a blue brim. The alt cap takes out the white in place of a blue cap and red brim. 

I'm pretty proud of this one, to be honest. I know I've already used a flag theme, but I tried to only use the colors and star and not utilize the striping like I did for Washington. I tried to make a more traditional team this time, and I think I did pretty well. I promise I'll try to stay away from the flag themes, but there's one more we'll get to eventually that uses it as well (but it's not part of the original eight, so rest assured). Please feel free to comment and share criticisms, I want to improve!

Thanks for viewing! C&C welcome.

1/30/2020 1:38 am  #19

Houston looks great. It feels very 2003 for reason, not sure how to explain that, but good job.

For Chicago, I think you've got a lot to work with here. I like the roundel, the script in particular, the name and general design. Light blue and red is difficult to do, so I would darken both to be honest. But definitely the red. It's just too bright with the bright light blue. Maybe some kind of darker Bulls red with more maroon in it. I think that would help solidify the set.

I don't like the lake inside the logo. It looks...phallic. (sorry) I think you could square up the illustration or go in another direction to represent the lake. I almost didn't say it so I wouldn't cause you to see that but it bothered me. Maybe some kind of 90's squared illustration instead? Sorry. But I like everything else about it!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

1/30/2020 4:53 pm  #20

Steelman wrote:

Houston looks great. It feels very 2003 for reason, not sure how to explain that, but good job.

For Chicago, I think you've got a lot to work with here. I like the roundel, the script in particular, the name and general design. Light blue and red is difficult to do, so I would darken both to be honest. But definitely the red. It's just too bright with the bright light blue. Maybe some kind of darker Bulls red with more maroon in it. I think that would help solidify the set.

I don't like the lake inside the logo. It looks...phallic. (sorry) I think you could square up the illustration or go in another direction to represent the lake. I almost didn't say it so I wouldn't cause you to see that but it bothered me. Maybe some kind of 90's squared illustration instead? Sorry. But I like everything else about it!

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely go back and rework Chicago's red and the lake logo. I hadn't noticed yet (I could only think of Lake Michigan) but you're absolutely right. That will for sure be updated after the eight teams are posted. 

Board footera