Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2019 9:54 pm  #51

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

The vote as of now; 
Chicago- 5
Detroit- 2
Cleveland- 1
Minneapolis- 1
Milwaukee-1 
St. Louis- 0

(seeing as though Chicago is the runaway winner right now, and I'm being pulled in several directions as to how I want their identity to be)
The Barber brothers, astounded by the support found for their expansion bid, has opened up a Name the Team Contest, as of now they have their top 3 choices, but hopefully everyone comes out and votes or suggests new names to help with the naming process.

As of now their top 3 choices are;
Chicago Mustangs: Being the owners of one of the biggest Ford manufacturing plants, so the name Mustangs, after one of their sports cars, comes as a big player.

Chicago Zephyrs: Named for the city's nickname, the Windy City, and for the trains that run the streets, the Zephyrs provide several connections to the city.

Chicago Meatpackers: Being one of the meatpacking capitals of the world, the name could help connect with a lot of the fans of the team and represent the city well.

I'm excited to hear what you guys have to say about this new contest!

9/29/2019 9:59 pm  #52

I vote for Zephyrs, I think that Meatpackers would be weird just because it'd be shortened to Packers by fans and a team from Chicago called the Packers just doesn't seem right to me lol.6.2.6

Last edited by Section30 (9/29/2019 9:59 pm)

9/29/2019 10:10 pm  #53

Section30 wrote:

I vote for Zephyrs, I think that Meatpackers would be weird just because it'd be shortened to Packers by fans and a team from Chicago called the Packers just doesn't seem right to me lol.6.2.6

Got any suggestions outside of those 3? As of right now Zephyrs is looking to be the name but I had some other ideas regarding the name Zephyr. I'm kind of stumped

9/29/2019 10:34 pm  #54

=16pxName: Merrick Washington
Bio: Owner of Georgia Mutual Life Insurance based in Atlanta, GA, a graduate of Spelman College, and a World War II veteran.  A Brooklyn native, he's a Cannons fan out of loyalty to his hometown, but doesn't feel a personal connection to the team. 
Favorite Team: New York Cannons
Choices For Expansion:  Cleveland, Chicago
Team Identity Ideas: Cleveland : bring back the Lions in simple Maroon and White! 
Chicago: Enforcers or Blues, something police related. (This is right around the drop in the more violent Chicago Outfit activity in the city). 

Only the written records of his travels survive.

9/30/2019 9:29 am  #55

It can't be the Mustangs because Ford wouldn't start producing that car until the 60s. So let's go with Zephyrs.

9/30/2019 12:36 pm  #56

If you want to go with the meatpacking theme, Butchers or Cleavers could be a good alternative6.2.6

9/30/2019 3:13 pm  #57

RightGuard wrote:

It can't be the Mustangs because Ford wouldn't start producing that car until the 60s. So let's go with Zephyrs.

Oops, for some reason I thought it was the 50's, I even googled it, well, I guess its down to Zephyrs.

Section30 wrote:

If you want to go with the meatpacking theme, Butchers or Cleavers could be a good alternative6.2.6

I love the name Butchers, but it is the name for Veras' old league's Chicago team. Would it be okay if I borrowed it? At this point I think I'm going to go with Zephyrs. 

In 2nd place is a tie between Cleveland and Detroit. So there's 2 more days for some other people to vote, (and hopefully get us a winner)

9/30/2019 3:27 pm  #58

Could go with Cleavers for Chicago? I put together a package for a team with the same identity once and I loved the sound of Chicago Cleavers and the logo opportunities. I’ll probably dream up a fictional voter tonight and stir the pot for this expansion team race.

9/30/2019 3:37 pm  #59

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Could go with Cleavers for Chicago? I put together a package for a team with the same identity once and I loved the sound of Chicago Cleavers and the logo opportunities. I’ll probably dream up a fictional voter tonight and stir the pot for this expansion team race.

Cleavers is interesting, but I don’t feel like there’s that many opportunities with the name, crossing knives would be one, but any others I feel like would be something surrounding the letter c, which feels too bears. I don’t really want to have any similarities to the NFL

10/01/2019 4:47 am  #60

Why isn't 'Chicago Blazers' or 'Chicago Inferno' part of the name-the-team contest? Sure, MLS already had the Chicago Fire but I liked the two names better than the three suggested.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

Board footera