Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2022 10:43 pm  #91

Re: Welcome to PUCH

Megildur wrote:

Here to support Narwhal HC! I'm impressed with the Fan Center spreadsheet, all of this looks great.

I missed out on adding some prospects for this draft, but if I add some now, will they be included in the next one?

Welcome to the series! Narwhal is one of the more popular teams so far. You can send over prospects at any time, I'll be adding and collating them into the prospect pipeline for future drafts. (just choose an alliterative scout name when you do so!)

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/02/2022 1:12 am  #92

While I am working on finishing the draft recap and setting up my internal rosters for simulation, I thought it would be fun to get some community input on establishing club traditions. If you have any ideas or input on potential club traditions for any club, please PM or DM me here or on Discord. You may submit as many ideas for as many clubs as you like.

These could range anywhere from things like the Red Wings' octopus, throwing fake rats on the ice in Florida, Seattle salmon toss, fun mascots like Gritty, the Columbus cannon, Dallas' "STARS" chant, Amalie Arena's actual lightning through Tesla coils for goal scoring, etc. Anything that resembles any kind of weird, fun, serious or normal tradition, superstition, ritual, or event is fair game.

All of your suggestions will be collected and put up for vote for each club for the community to decide upon. Each fan group will have an opportunity to choose a tradition for their club. Some things only come through actually playing games and developing stories and rivalries, but I think we can add some unique brands of fun to each club to make them stand out even more.

This submission opportunity will be open for 1 week until April 8th. Please feel free to send me ideas at any time but for purposes of this voting opportunity, we'll do a week on this. Let me know if you need more time.

Can't wait to hear your ideas!

4/02/2022 2:00 am  #93

If I had a nickel for every time someone honked the horn of their own car in this thread, I’d be able to buy Metro NYC. Who I despise. The Cuban lover is relatable tho.

4/04/2022 6:18 pm  #94

I've gotten some great ideas for team traditions from some of y'all. Please keep 'em coming for all the teams!

Meanwhile, here is the draft recap for community scouted players. The Fan Center has been fully updated!

1982 INAUGURAL DRAFT RECAP

Round 9

01 – Toronto Fox – RW Fergus Finnegan
Age: 22 | Dorchester, MA | Scouted by Kieran Kavanagh (Darknes)

05 – District United – LW Peter Church
Age: 20 | Knockemstiff, OH | Scouted by Ashton Alex Arnoldson (Edge)

10 – Howler-Hawkins – D Malcolm Moody
Age: 25 | Philadelphia, PA | Scouted by Dwight Derby-Darby (Dire)

Round 10

03 – Metropolitan NYC – D Joseph Inca
Age: 22 | Newark, NJ | Scouted by Walter Warsawski (TIF)

Round 11

09 – Ohio Republic – RW Stefan Ferraro
Age: 23 | Hackensack, NJ | Scouted by Aloysius Allspice (Jam)

Round 12

04 – Empire City – LW Domanic Strongblossom
Age: 19 | Barry's Bay, ON | Scouted by Wally D. Wayne-Johnson (Wallflower)

07 – Monarques de Montreal – LW Rob Zilinik
Age: 20 | New Glarus, WI | Scouted by John Joyland (Topolino)

10 – Howler-Hawkins – LW Rasmus Mahla
Age: 24 | New Rochelle, NY | Scouted by Walter Warsawski (TIF)

Round 13

02 – Liberty Athletic – D Ben Clemons
Age: 19 | New York, NY | Scouted by Aloysius Allspice (Jam)

03 – Metropolitan NYC – D Jean Lemieux
Age: 25 | Montreal, QC | Scouted by Laurent Leclair (KF11)

04 – Empire City – D Matthew Saller
Age: 22 | Beaufort, N | Scouted by Shane Walter Sheringham (MacBeth)

05 – District United – Alexsandr Morozov
Age: 23 | Magnitogorsk, USSR | Scouted by Kieran Kavanagh (Dark)

07 – Monarques de Montreal – D Cole Lyde
Age: 19 | Guelph, ON | Scouted by Wally D. Wayne-Johnson (Wallflower)

09 – Ohio Republic – Mort McTavish
Age: 21 | Hanover, MD | Scouted by Ashton Alex Arnoldson (Edge)

10 – Howler-Hawkins – RW Archie Alleyway
Age: 23 | New York, NY | Scouted by Wally D. Wayne-Johnson (Wallflower)

Round 14

02 – Liberty Athletic – RW Kirby Carr

03 – Metropolitan NYC – G Harold Grundmeyer
Age: 26 | Saginaw, MI | Scouted by Aloysius Allspice (Jam)

07 – Monarques de Montreal – C Kevin Raines
Age: 26 | Plainville, MA | Scouted by Walter Warsawski (TIF)

Round 17

01 – Toronto Fox – RW Travis Wennington
Age: 18 | Montreal, QC | Scouted by Laurent Leclair (KF11)

02 – Liberty Athletic – C Jimmy Cottee
Age: 18 | Burnaby, BC | Scouted by Shane Walter Sheringham (MacBeth)

03 – Metropolitan NYC – RW Kraig Judas
Age: 24 | Greenwich, CT | Scouted by Ashton Alex Arnoldson (Edge)

04 – Empire City – RW Quinnton Harley
Age: 18 | Harlem, NY | Scouted by Ezekigul Eagle (Scratch)

05 – District United – LW Terrell Wallace
Age: 18 | Hamilton, ON | Scouted by Ashton Alex Arnoldson (Edge)

It was labor intensive but I wanted to make sure everyone knew where their prospects went. If you don't see them here, they've been automatically rolled into the next prospect pool. I didn't have time to post details about every player but if you have questions about any player or team roster, always feel free to ask. In the future the drafts will be shorter and I will do my best to give scouting reports on everyone. I am always accepting new prospects as well.

I also wanted to remind the community that you can join the series and select a PUCH club at any time. If you've been on the fence or worried about participating when things have already started, don't fear! The more the merrier. 

4/06/2022 11:06 pm  #95

Just heard Henry Ford II retired and the next guy to take over wants nothing to do with the new “entertainment venture” that Ford left behind.

4/13/2022 8:12 pm  #96

And team traditions are up! Every team form has been updated with user submitted options.

Vote ONLY on your own club. If you have not yet selected a club, please go to the original post and hit up the new club form to get started! You may join the series at any time.

PUCH Fan Center

I'll give everyone a week to vote on their new team traditions. We will do this again in a few seasons so feel free to send me any ideas for future traditions and I will make note of them. I will do up a post with what each club selected after the voting is over.

Looking forward to seeing which direction every club goes with their traditions. If there are some that I really like that aren't voted on, I may decide to add them in manually or keep them for a later vote so don't worry if your selection doesn't make it. Get voting! The first month of the season will be dropping soon.

4/14/2022 6:18 pm  #97

PUCH's lead news and rumor reporter Merle "Merman" Miller dropped his first power rankings today. Merman is known to be a little loopy at times when he forgets to take all his meds, so take his rankings with a grain or box of salt. Merman definitely has the best of intentions but he's become somewhat senile even at an early age. He doesn't like to talk about how he acquired his nickname but it stuck and he's had it most of his life. He has rocky relationships with pretty much every owner in the league except for Mr. Emerson, which is how he got the job. Merman isn't afraid to throw a little shade in lieu of actual reporting so expect some rumor bombs to drop periodically depending on which medications he forgot to take that week.

Merman has a junior reporter named Penn Pressor who will also be following in his footsteps after getting fired from every major network for "malicious reporting." Pressor will look to redeem himself but will probably be the one to crank the rumor mill and then be the one to "break" the news. Pressor has very few scruples and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty to track down a story or make one up.

Either way, PUCH is in very dirty hands for reliable and accurate reporting. They both have reported that the first season is dropping soon, so that's probably mostly true.

4/14/2022 6:52 pm  #98

Metro above EC? Certainly no medication was taken there. Excited to see the Empire take on their first season!

4/14/2022 8:51 pm  #99

With New Year's Eve finally arrived, the first-ever official PUCH game kicked off in style in a new league tradition as the countdown to the new year coincided with the annual Midnight Madness game where the puck was dropped at exactly midnight. Nobody had played a game so late before but it was a massive hit and the arena was packed out. As the whole city counted down from 10 to midnight, the puck was dropped and the game between Empire City and Metropolitan NYC was underway.

Game of the Month: Empire City 3-5 Metropolitan NYC

1st Period 0-2
MNYC: Ken Yewdokimova (Lemieux, Etibridge)
MNYC: Aaron Cladd (Hayes, Overbay)
2nd Period 2-3
ECHC: Bo Schaffer (Jacobs-Warren, Aberdeen)
MNYC: Aaron Cladd (Yewdokimova, Klusman)
ECHC: Quinnton Harley (Minnemeyer, Aberdeen)
3rd Period 3-5
ECHC: Alex Bonds (Minnemeyer, Jacobs-Warren)
MNYC: Russell Cox (Ratnam, Zigich)
MNYC: Charlie Williams (Yewdokimova, Klusman)

Win: G Eddie Baugh | Loss: G Reggie Gisser

The game was a raucous affair with a packed house in Manhattan at the Macy's Center and both teams playing hard from the start. Young Metropolitan winger Ken Yewdokimova scored the first goal of the league and new season on a quick shot from the top of the slot to beat Empire goalie Reggie Gisser. Empire would tie the game up early in the third period but Metro took over after that and scored twice more to salt it away.

1982 REGULAR SEASON: January

EASTERN DIVISION:

District United surprised many with a more potent offense than expected, led by young center Fred Hellerstein who has become something of a sensation. District's defense is tough and tenacious and very difficult to play against, led by Ivan Taranov and Norm Hitchcock. The Ducks' weaknesses of goaltending and forward depth haven't been an issue yet but it could be problematic later in the season.

Metropolitan NYC started hot, cooled off midway through January, and then picked it back up again. Winger Ken Yewdokimova has been consistent and steady as the league's top scorer. Metro has a solid defense with excellent goaltending from Eddie Baugh but the team has had trouble finishing in close games.

Narwhal has played solidly but not spectacularly. Veteran winger Jimmy Jugo has carried the offense while the defense has been below average, even with Anthony Gumfunk playing well as the primary quarterback from the blue line. Al Bender, 19, has been good and bad which is to be expected for such a young goalie.

Empire City has struggled offensively but has found a knack for staying in close games along with a few clutch goals from Vince Aberdeen who has been phenomenal for EC. Goalie Reggie Gisser has found his footing and if the forward group can figure some things out, Empire can compete.

Liberty Athletic has suffered some bad luck combined with shaky goaltending. Todd Guerin has been good but had a pair of terrible games and backup Teddy Luciano hasn't been effective. Young center Geoff Ficociello has looked fantastic, however, in leading the Libby offense.

WESTERN DIVISION:

Howler-Hawkins has been one of the biggest surprises with goalie Stan Blackwood lighting up the league with his stellar play in the net. A team that wasn't expected to compete, the Dashers have found their groove behind Blackwood with Tony LaRue and Reggie Finland anchoring the blue line and just enough offense behind veteran winger Roman Harrison.

Ohio Republic leads the division in scoring behind a steady Gary Dunlap on the wing and key scoring and playmaking from defenseman Connor Greathouse who has looked very comfortable quarterbacking the power play. The Orcs have been solid defensively and are a difficult team to play against.

Monarques de Montreal have been up and down throughout the month but have been led by great games from playmaking winger Morgan Blair. Coach Francouz has gone with a goalie split with Kohler and Shiggs which has proved effective and kept the tandem fresh. The depth on both sides has been a work in progress but Monarques has been very competitive.

Toronto Fox is the biggest story as the league favorite coming into the season but struggled mightily before finally notching a couple of wins late in the month. Top pick Ruben Thornhill has carried the scoring but has been banged up and the rest of the roster hasn't picked up the slack. The defense has been decent with some notable lapses but the goaltending is a mess with neither Gillen or Shore very sharp. Toronto looks to turn it around in February.

Motown Chrome has been hampered by poor coaching from the start, so badly incompetent at times that Merman Miller reported owner Quincy Quarles was already ready to fire the whole staff. Motown has been allergic to scoring outside of Stan Oldham's best efforts but with goalie Rey Betz banged up and defenseman Louis Brooksfield dealing with a lingering illness, the prognosis looks grim.

Game of the Month: Howler-Hawkins 2-1 Monarques (OT)

1st Period 0-0
2nd Period 0-0
3rd Period 1-1
HHHC: Silas Silver (Finland, Harrison)
MDM: Eddie Frederick (Blair, Cook)
Overtime 2-1
HHHC: Roman Harrison (LaRue)

Win: G Stan Blackwood | Loss: G Abe Kohler

The late-month matchup between Howler-Hawkins and Monarques was a fantastic game, tightly-played and officiated, and capped off with a gorgeous finish on a Harrison goal in overtime to push Howler-Hawkins to the top of the division.

And the first month is in the books! How are you feeling about your club so far? Let me know what you think about the write-up and if there's anything more you want to know about your club. C&C appreciated!

4/14/2022 8:56 pm  #100

I'm quite happy with DUHC leading the league in points. Hopefully they can keep the puck away from the goalie so they can keep their lead.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera