Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2020 9:42 pm  #701

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Whales: Well, it finally happened.  The Whales finally switched up their design, and boy did they make a huge change!  I was originally going to rip the "Smilin' Squarewhale" design because why would a professional hockey team have a smiling logo.... then I noticed the hockey puck and stick in that smile.  Heh heh, clever work, Steel, I'm impressed!  All things considered, I think this is a pretty awesome redesign of one of the most iconic teams in the league!  In particular, I really like the new inclusion of red and gray, which works really well with the navy blue the Whales are known for.  I always thought the Whales would keep their original design forever, so the fact that they did make the change (let alone that this looks awesome) is pretty ballsy.  But was it worth it, considering that once logos reach an iconic status, most teams in that position would be too scared to make a change?  In this case, I'd say yes! Excellent job here man!

Glaciers; This might well be the coolest logo you've come up with yet!  Really great idea in merging all of the Glaciers' past logos into one cohesive logo that manages to look awesome and not too cumbersome!  Also, going back to teal was absolutely the right move here!  The Glaciers never felt like a red team, so it's nice to see the change here!  

Really top notch work here Steel!

11/12/2020 10:08 pm  #702

The Whales just pulled a Chicago White Sox.

Also, I think that’s the one for Yubay. I think that’s the one that will stick around.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

11/12/2020 10:25 pm  #703

Wow, two teams I did not expect to change! Let's take a look:

Portarra: Good lord, this is a fantastic update. Take the most iconic look in the THL and completely change it? Ballsy for sure, but you pulled it off spectacularly. The addition of red somehow improves the look and the new "squarewhale" is amazing (especially that Canucks-esque stick you snuck in there). I think this will be a popular throwback down the line (THL Reverse Retro in 2020?) but I feel like eventually the team will return to the classic look and logo. I could go with either here, great work!

The Better Yubay: My pizza slice has returned! This logo is absolutely brilliant and should be around forever. This will never be improved upon, just a gorgeous piece of art. Even better, the Glaciers are back in teal! The shape may be in the shape of a dreamcatcher, but in the tradition of nicknaming Glaciers logos after food items, I dub this one the ice cream logo. It sort of resembles ice cream in a cone, which is fitting for the coldest team in the THL. I was waiting to update my sig to the new script style because I liked the pizza slice logo, but now I can proudly rep the newest Niko Side duds, just outstanding work!

11/12/2020 10:28 pm  #704

Please let that Glaciers look stick around till the end of the world steel!

11/13/2020 12:06 am  #705

Love the square whale for Portarra, it's a nice mix of Vineyard Vines and Hartford's old Pucky the Whale logo. I was just as surprised as everyone else to see the Whales change their classic look, but their new look is really nice. I think the grey is a bit unnecessary, but it doesn't harm anything by being there.

I'll echo the love for the new Glaciers logo, it just works all of their history together so nicely, the script Y in the mountain is the cherry on top for me. I'm also a big fan of promoting teal to primary, I think that the Glaciers could really own that color if they want to. With all that being said, I still look forward to my Falcons whooping the Glaciers in the future

11/13/2020 8:57 am  #706

Both of those changes are fantastic, but that Whales update is incredible. Just a killer look.

[/url][url=https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=190]
www.yorkland.tk <--- Official home of the fictional country of Yorkland

11/13/2020 2:52 pm  #707

Wow, thanks for all the love on these two identities. I spent quite a few months on these. I've been sitting on the Squarewhale for awhile (since May I believe) because it's definitely tough to change up an iconic look and I wasn't sure how their franchise would go. The Whales went to the playoffs a bunch of times in the 70's with nothing to show for it and then weathered an intense rebuild. With younger ownership now in play in Steve Duval and the team on the cusp of breaking through, I felt like it was a good time for it, also being the 80's and all.

S30 touched on it, I was inspired a bit by Vineyard Vines and Pucky, but I also have this little back pillow that's usually in my sitting chair and it has a very similar whale on it so I thought it would work as a movement away from the tail look. The gray was actually a lot darker when I first designed it but I felt it was too muted so I changed it to that really light gray/silver color. I agree it's arbitrary and you'll probably see them switch it back to white at some point. It's funny how iconic looks that are bad are viewed as good. I always thought the Whales had the worst set of uniforms in the league. I think they'll eventually return to their iconic look, perhaps play on both looks in the 90's.

For the Glaciers, I was never super happy with the big triangular bear face logo, as were several fans, but I had a really hard time coming up with a better concept. The Pizza Slice is ever-popular but I felt it had run its course and should only be used in throwback situations. A glacier isn't an easy thing to make a cool logo for, and Kirlow also uses a bear head mascot. I've had a sort of Coca-Cola type of polar bear in the back of my mind for awhile but didn't want to do a California style walking bear. I was in a deep dive of polar bear images and finally found inspiration just a few weeks ago. After ditching so many concepts and ideas, I'm really happy with how it turned out and it's definitely a lesson in continuing to work on something until you get it right.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

11/13/2020 10:00 pm  #708

Both Whales and Glaciers got the best logo update, and the jerseys are spot on to my taste. I can see these last longer than their previous sets.

11/14/2020 6:38 pm  #709

Well well well (or should I say whale? Lol)

First off congrats to Trowburgh, through all the teams they've had they finally got a winner.

Secondly, I knew something with the whales was coming when I saw how you finished off that post, I'm always a fan of a good pun.

So the whales had a pretty big offseason it seems. I'm excited to see what Bronko has to bring to the table for us, hopefully a playoff appearance(s) and more is in our future.
The new look was definitely unexpected, but I can appreciate wanting to change it up, it was definitely a turning of the tides for us and a new look for a new era is definitely excited.
I'm a fan of the look though! That previous uniform will always have a special place in my heart, it's such a timeless and classy look that hopefully will be back one day. But I do really like the new spin on the identity. While I do think the whale tail is a stronger look, I can't hate this universe's Pucky, or the Squarewhale, as they're callin it. It's a really cute logo and I think it would make a wonderful secondary if or when the whale tail comes back. The red is a bit curious, considering our biggest rival wears red and our Division rivals just adopted a Red and Blue color scheme, also we were unique in our color scheme in the whole league, while red and blue is a bit common, but it works really well together so I think it can slide. The grey though is the only thing I can't say I like. I really like your use of off-whites for a lot of your teams but I think this light grey just dulls down the Navy and red. I think a white would look a lot better.

The Glaciers is a look I really love. That logo is a bit busy but it combines both the pizza slice and bear logos nicely and I hope it stay around forever. The return to a teal uniform is long awaited as well.

11/16/2020 4:32 pm  #710

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Well well well (or should I say whale? Lol)

First off congrats to Trowburgh, through all the teams they've had they finally got a winner.

Secondly, I knew something with the whales was coming when I saw how you finished off that post, I'm always a fan of a good pun.

So the whales had a pretty big offseason it seems. I'm excited to see what Bronko has to bring to the table for us, hopefully a playoff appearance(s) and more is in our future.
The new look was definitely unexpected, but I can appreciate wanting to change it up, it was definitely a turning of the tides for us and a new look for a new era is definitely excited.
I'm a fan of the look though! That previous uniform will always have a special place in my heart, it's such a timeless and classy look that hopefully will be back one day. But I do really like the new spin on the identity. While I do think the whale tail is a stronger look, I can't hate this universe's Pucky, or the Squarewhale, as they're callin it. It's a really cute logo and I think it would make a wonderful secondary if or when the whale tail comes back. The red is a bit curious, considering our biggest rival wears red and our Division rivals just adopted a Red and Blue color scheme, also we were unique in our color scheme in the whole league, while red and blue is a bit common, but it works really well together so I think it can slide. The grey though is the only thing I can't say I like. I really like your use of off-whites for a lot of your teams but I think this light grey just dulls down the Navy and red. I think a white would look a lot better.

The Glaciers is a look I really love. That logo is a bit busy but it combines both the pizza slice and bear logos nicely and I hope it stay around forever. The return to a teal uniform is long awaited as well.

I was hoping to hear from one of our resident Whales fans, I was worried it wouldn't be received well but I'm glad to hear otherwise. From a designer perspective, the red was actually an accident while I was messing around with the color swatch. I was really surprised how much I liked it so I decided to go with it. I tried to keep it as much of a secondary color as possible to keep the focus on the navy blue.

The classic Whales look will also always have a special place in my heart too, and we'll definitely see it return in the future.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera