Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2020 4:01 pm  #611

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Awesome write up as always Steel!  Definitely excited to see if the Heralds can repeat!  Looks like it'll be tough this year though, with as good as the Falcons are this year, that teams will be tough to stop!

Also, man the Killers stink.  They'd better rebuild quick, even considering how weak the old UHA have generally been in the THL so far they've lagged far behind the rest of the league these last 2 years!  That can't be good for their finances!

9/05/2020 2:57 am  #612

dvdbubba27 wrote:

Look out, Guilden - here we come! I'm glad to see Pasta still killin' it at 38 but I feel really bad for Pete Lentini, since he hasn't accomplished anything yet in the THL. I really wanna see him do something here in the 80s.

That was a surprise for me too-- seeing Lentini struggle as much as he has in the THL so far. He's easily the most talented player in the league by a long mile but it hasn't translated into much yet in a better league. I honestly thought he might be my Wayne Gretzky after dominating the UHA. There's still time for him to adjust. He's young and the roster is growing.

Stickman wrote:

Awesome write up as always Steel!  Definitely excited to see if the Heralds can repeat!  Looks like it'll be tough this year though, with as good as the Falcons are this year, that teams will be tough to stop!

Also, man the Killers stink.  They'd better rebuild quick, even considering how weak the old UHA have generally been in the THL so far they've lagged far behind the rest of the league these last 2 years!  That can't be good for their finances!

Thanks, Stickman! The two things going for the Killers are owner Edward Zook is very patient and very invested in making this hockey thing work in Kurohara. And secondly, GM JD McCurdy and head coach John Otto are very focused on best player available mentality, which landed them Alex Kirkland, and just let the rest of the pieces work themselves out. They've got some holes on the roster but they believe in their young guns.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

9/05/2020 3:03 am  #613

1981 THL PLAYOFFS

WILDCARD ROUND

7 Guilden Barbarians vs 10 Kirkenport Captains
Guilden opened the round by dropping a 10-spot on the Kirk Boys, who recovered to play well but it wasn't enough to hold off the sweep. [GLD wins 3-0]

8 Kirlow Kodiaks vs 9 Yubay Glaciers
The Kodiaks blanked the Niko Side 5-0 to start but the Glaciers roared back with 3 wins to take it.

QUARTERFINALS

1 Yubay Falcons vs 9 Yubay Glaciers
The Sides collided again as the Nikos upset the Savas in Game 1. The Falcons, however, came back strong and put the Glaciers on the ropes. An OT win by the Glaciers extended the series but Geno was clutch in a decisive Game 6. [YUB wins 4-2]

2 Chasonne Heralds vs 7 Guilden Barbarians
The Barbarians fought as hard as they could but they were no match for a focused Heralds team that systematically dissected Guilden defenses for a clean sweep. [CHA wins 4-0]

3 Narva Neptunes vs 6 Fort Bevin Rockets
Narva ran into a buzzsaw against the Rockets who proceeded to chew them up en route to a 5-game thrashing behind a scoring outburst from Kevin Korycki and Nigel Flood. [FTB wins 4-1]

4 Portarra Pioneers vs 5 Kavalos Electrics
In a classic series, these teams traded back and forth for seven games as both teams had huge goals, huge hits and tons of energy. Jonathan Walker scored late in Game 7 to take the series. [PTP wins 4-3]

SEMI-FINALS

1 Yubay Falcons vs 6 Fort Bevin Rockets
The Rockets rolled into Sava Side and stole two games from Yubay but then the Falcons took them right back and evened the series at the LPA. The teams battled tightly all the way to a Game 7 where Geno Pasternak unloaded a hat trick on Fort Bevin and the Falcons violently ended a great series. [YUB wins 4-3]

2 Chasonne Heralds vs 4 Portarra Pioneers
The rematch came early and started off with a pair of 2-1 OT finishes that saw highlight game-winning goals from Gian Guiliano and Robert Bertucci. The brutal losses were too much for Portarra to overcome as the champs continued the sweep to stay undefeated in the playoffs. [CHA wins 4-0]

Up next: 1981 Marcotte Cup - Falcons vs Heralds

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

9/05/2020 8:23 am  #614

Dang...we really can’t get past the Heralds

9/05/2020 9:13 am  #615

Cmon Kirlow. Gonna have to root for the Falcons since I hate the Heralds for some reason

9/05/2020 9:58 am  #616

Anyone but the Falcons! Let's go Chasonne, do us all a favor!

9/05/2020 10:05 am  #617

WOOHOO!  Keep it up Heralds!  1 more series for the repeat!

9/05/2020 1:04 pm  #618

Boo hockey! Kirk embarrassed, Walker swept, Narva... buzzsawed? Ow. Not a great time for my relationship with Torland sports as a whole. 

9/05/2020 2:40 pm  #619

- Send the Glaciers crying back to Niko Side? Check
- Geno defying father time himself, blessing us mere mortals with his presence as he carries us to the Finals? Check
- Bring the Cup back to Sava Side? TBD

Go Birds!

9/05/2020 3:00 pm  #620

Wow an exciting postseason, and we've ended up with a classic matchup of the Falcons and Heralds. I'll root for Yubay since it's been about a decade since their last championship.

Board footera