Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2020 6:37 pm  #601

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

It's always a pleasure reading through your updates Steel! You've got a way with character creation with some real remarkable characters. Dead Ned is the next on that list. The whole Blackwood Motorsports ownership story is really charming in a whole way, I can imagine before games a gang of motor cyclists just come out on the ice and hype the fans up. It's quirky in a way only hockey can pull off. As for the updated identity, while I'm not a huge fan of the idea on paper, you pulled it off, just like the ownership. Although I think the Neptunes really need to lean into a trident based identity some time down the road. 

I really like the Whales being ambitious this offseason, hopefully jumping up to the second pick for Parrino will be worth it in the long run.

Thanks, DP! Much appreciated. I was definitely imagining almost like a Bills Mafia-esque type of fan group with the motorcycle clubs between Kirlow and Narva. With all celebrity-based identities, there's no telling how long it will last or what kind of staying power it will have. I definitely think a trident-based mark is still on the table. Most of the THL teams haven't gone deep into secondary logos but I believe that will change as we progress into the 80's and especially in the 90's when marketing and media power explodes.

Don O'Donnell, the GM in Portarra, is doing a great job so far with shedding veterans and adding young talent. Young d-man Eli Priestley and now Ray Parrino are both high-ceiling guys still with room to grow. The Whales might suck for a few years but O'Donnell seems to have a clear vision and plan.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/24/2020 7:30 pm  #602

1981 THL REGULAR SEASON

Willard Division: As expected, the rebuilding Whales joined the Killers in the basement as both teams were plain bad. Kurohara allowed an historic amount of goals but found a light of hope in rookie F Alex Kirkland. The Whales were stronger but looked lost without Cal Capezzio and Elton Savell, although rookie F Ray Parrino provides a look at the future. The stubborn Anchors kept themselves in the thick of it as best they could but F Dimitri Ranko could only shoulder so much as Ferdy Haight finally showed his age in goal. A reinvigorated Rockets squad showed their championship mettle again as defenseman Pat Ossola nearly carried the team at times and punched his ticket to an MVP trophy as Fort Bevin secured a playoff berth. The Pioneers continued where they left off, leading the way in the division as they focused on being more defensively-minded behind clutch shooting from F Jonathan Walker.

Hatch Division: The pundits expected the Neptunes to show some age but instead Kris Kotulak and Co were not to be denied as they cruised to 130 points atop the division in a good showing for their new ownership. Their rivals in Kirlow had a less exciting season for their new owners, however, as the team desperately missed the steady leadership of Sam Bennett at the helm. An offensive spark late in the season gave them enough to surge ahead of the Herons. The kids in Trowburgh played good hockey but saw their offense disappear through a rash of injuries as Mozzy Turk missed most of the season. The Swans improved dramatically with Cal Capezzio leading the way as they added nearly 30 points from last season. The Blazers also saw some improvement offensively as rookie F Eric Jorgensen infused some life into the top line.

Elam Division: The defending champs continued their dominance as Gian Guiliano cooly collected a Best Forward and guided the Heralds to another division title. Nipping at their heels for much of the season was a Barbarians squad that suddenly remembered how to score as John Jurski and Lorenz Laduca led the revival, notching a playoff berth. Just behind Guilden, the Captains played good hockey, switching back to their classic heavy style that kept them in the playoff hunt and landed a wildcard berth. Keenan Draper doesn't have much left in the tank but Lauri Rikard and the blue line carried the team. The Saints had big plans but injuries derailed them as F Jack Kovak didn't play more than 8 games in a row at any point in the season, in a microcosm of their year. The Crusaders, excited about their new offensive talent, changed their style to focus on forwards Joel Ecklund and rookie Marcel Luksik and it backfired as defensive ace Bram Vandergert was banged up and the team couldn't compensate.

Rankin Division: Geno Pasternak is 38 but he doesn't care as the Falcons soared to the top of the league and a Louis Trophy behind stellar team play. It seemed like everyone took a turn as defenseman Malcolm Jackson was a breakout player and 33-year-old goalie Claude Dohms had a 5-week stretch of being nearly impenetrable in the net which won him Best Goalie. The division was strong as even the Bucks and Kings were tough to beat as both teams were fundamentally sound. The Bucks weathered some injury bugs and growing pains that hampered their progress but a bright spot was rookie goaltender Vassily Wuopio who showed lots of mental fortitude. Bancana's mess in the net solidified a bit while rookie D Filip Korcz helped the blue line dramatically. The Electrics' offensive volume tapered off a little outside of Leo Stendahl, but the defense strengthened with a fully healthy Darren Cain and Frank Lambrou on the blue line. Kavalos locked in a quarterfinal playoff berth as they edged past an inconsistent Glaciers squad who still managed to grab a wildcard. The Niko Side had a roller-coaster year as Pekka Jokinen's penchant for scoring droughts manifested between bouts of injuries to the net and blue line.

Playoff Preview

Barbarians vs Captains
These division rivals played closely down the stretch. Guilden has a better offensive while the Kirk Boys have returned to heavy defensive hockey.

Kodiaks vs Glaciers
Both teams want to prove they're better than their season struggles and a wildcard round is the perfect tune-up. The Niko Side has the edge but Kirlow is always tough.

Neptunes vs Rockets
These teams have never met in the playoffs. Both have championship DNA. The Rockets are leaning on defense and the Neptunes have the always dangerous Kris Kotulak leading the scoring.

Pioneers vs Electrics
The Pioneers are eager to return to the finals but have a tough first draw against a potent Electrics squad. These two teams have very similar styles.

Up next: 1981 Playoffs

C&C appreciated! What are your thoughts on the new awards graphic?

8/24/2020 7:43 pm  #603

Those damn Falcons are at it again! I'm hoping the Glaciers can finally do something with their squad and make a deep playoff run, hopefully taking out the other side along the way. Aside from Niko Side, I'll be pulling for the Barbarians. 

8/24/2020 9:36 pm  #604

WE LOVE YOU GENO!
WE DO!
WE LOVE YOU GENO!
WE DO!
​Oooooooooooooh Geno we love you!

Was not expecting to see the Falcons at the top of the league, but I love to see it. Love seeing a couple vets in Pasternak and Dohms having great seasons, hopefully we can keep it going in the playoffs

8/25/2020 9:30 am  #605

Wow, my Blazers are... not good.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/25/2020 9:48 am  #606

Happy to see the Bucks improve but Kirlow please break that damn curse this year

8/25/2020 11:20 am  #607

Wasn't expecting much this season Whales, but it sounds like we're developing good, which is what I hoped. Congrats to the Falcons on coming out of nowhere. However I'm going to pull for a team that hasn't won a Marcotte Cup yet this postseason. 

8/25/2020 11:38 am  #608

I am officially on board with the Swans. Rough year, but hopefully things can turn around.

[/url][url=https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=190]
www.yorkland.tk <--- Official home of the fictional country of Yorkland

8/25/2020 3:03 pm  #609

QCS wrote:

Those damn Falcons are at it again! I'm hoping the Glaciers can finally do something with their squad and make a deep playoff run, hopefully taking out the other side along the way. Aside from Niko Side, I'll be pulling for the Barbarians. 

Section30 wrote:

WE LOVE YOU GENO!
WE DO!
WE LOVE YOU GENO!
WE DO!
​Oooooooooooooh Geno we love you!

Was not expecting to see the Falcons at the top of the league, but I love to see it. Love seeing a couple vets in Pasternak and Dohms having great seasons, hopefully we can keep it going in the playoffs

One of my favorite things in this series is that the rivalry I created within Yubay has spilled over to its fans. It makes it seem all the more real.

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Wow, my Blazers are... not good.

They're not good right now, but they're improving. Their offense jumped by more than 20 goals from their 1980 campaign. 2nd-year defenseman Jan Mikulec is really good already, with a nice scoring stick for a blue liner. Rookie forward Eric Jorgensen looks like he is going to be very good so there is reason for optimism.

Rugrat wrote:

Happy to see the Bucks improve but Kirlow please break that damn curse this year

The Kodiaks have a good offense but the blue line is a mess with Jerry O'Reilly having a down year. But they've gone on underdog playoff runs before so it's definitely possible.

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Wasn't expecting much this season Whales, but it sounds like we're developing good, which is what I hoped. Congrats to the Falcons on coming out of nowhere. However I'm going to pull for a team that hasn't won a Marcotte Cup yet this postseason.

They're really high on 28th pick G Zeke Frand who surprised in training camp and made the team.

The Falcons have made the playoffs every year since Pasternak returned in 1977 but they definitely made a more team-oriented splash this season after Pasternak carried the team on his back for a couple of years.

3pointtally wrote:

I am officially on board with the Swans. Rough year, but hopefully things can turn around.

Glad to see a Swans fan. Much like their rival sibling in Prestonburg, the Swans are also improving. Young 2nd-year goalie Andre Kabbani is the real deal and their defense and goaltending improved dramatically by a whopping almost 100 goals, especially after drafting Foster Sherwood with the swapped pick from Portarra after acquiring Cal Capezzio.

8/25/2020 3:10 pm  #610

Look out, Guilden - here we come! I'm glad to see Pasta still killin' it at 38 but I feel really bad for Pete Lentini, since he hasn't accomplished anything yet in the THL. I really wanna see him do something here in the 80s.

Inmate of the AHSylum
Athletic Director, Semiahmoo University

Board footera