Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2019 11:35 pm  #51

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Yubay just became my favorite team! The logo is sick and those jerseys just look mean. I love the background of the city as well, I guess I can relate to cold places that love hockey  

Go Falcons!

7/16/2019 11:25 am  #52

Completely overshadowed by Yubay, but I like the start for Zeal. Heralds look like they were cleaned up with that brush of Columbia blue and I think it real gives them their own personality in a league that’s dominated by blue. I also am guessing Zeal is your personal company in this universe because I see you have reverted back to the darker brick color you originally planned for the Anchors, and I’m guessing you vastly prefer it for the history haha!

7/17/2019 10:48 pm  #53

Section30 wrote:

Yubay just became my favorite team! The logo is sick and those jerseys just look mean. I love the background of the city as well, I guess I can relate to cold places that love hockey  

Go Falcons!

Thanks man! It's one of my favorite logos I've ever made, turned out just how I imagined it in my head. (THAT doesn't happen often! Ha.) I know I'm not supposed to play favorites, but your new young captain of the team, F Geno Pasternak is one of my favorite THL players.

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Completely overshadowed by Yubay, but I like the start for Zeal. Heralds look like they were cleaned up with that brush of Columbia blue and I think it real gives them their own personality in a league that’s dominated by blue. I also am guessing Zeal is your personal company in this universe because I see you have reverted back to the darker brick color you originally planned for the Anchors, and I’m guessing you vastly prefer it for the history haha!

Thanks! I think Zeal represents a base line for design for the league. I actually liked the more orange-y shade of brick for PA but consensus was that it was a bit odd for brick so using a uniform provider as the basis for a change in the color seemed natural. Zeal will keep more traditional styling for the league.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/17/2019 10:53 pm  #54

I did these for fun, kind of just a one-off for some of the young stars in the THL. I used ThisPersonDoesNotExist for the face images and based the design on similar cards from that era. Hope you enjoy 'em!

What do you think?

7/17/2019 11:27 pm  #55

The cards are really cool

7/18/2019 10:38 am  #56

Man, ThisPersonDoesNotExist is really messing with me, lol. I will say the cards look really good, and I'm digging the new uniforms too!

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

7/20/2019 7:07 pm  #57

Those cards look great! I also love it when people design stuff such as this. Gives more of that "real" feeling to the series. Great job!

7/20/2019 11:36 pm  #58

Thanks all for the nice comments on the cards. I'll probably do another round of them in a few seasons when some new faces emerge.

ItDoesntMatter wrote:

Man, ThisPersonDoesNotExist is really messing with me

I shoulda given a warning about that haha, I must have spent hours refreshing my browser when I first found it. So weird and freaky and fascinating at the same time!

7/21/2019 3:25 pm  #59

Yeah, I must have spent at least half an hour looking at it before I realized I was still in class and I should probably stop haha

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

7/22/2019 1:10 am  #60

1962 REGULAR SEASON

While the Lecayne Saints and new Yubay Falcons again struggled to keep up in the standings, scoring was up league-wide as both teams were more competitive. Midway through the season, with Portarra squarly in 4th place, the Whales considered making the first mid-season trade for some top line help with Marlin Parr slow to return to the ice with a lower leg injury, but with their lead on 5th place Yubay, the Whales elected to stay with their roster and look to squeak into the playoffs with a healthier unit. The gamble paid off as the Whales climbed past the Captains into 3rd place.

With more competition from the Saints and Falcons, overall wins were down from '61 but Chasonne still led the way with 36 wins and 120 points and an uncanny ability to win games. Port Alrene outclassed the league in scoring and defense but a total of 118 points left them in second place. Star forward Gary Wisniewski again led the league's top-ranking scoring, helping the Anchors as a true two-way team. Behind him, goalie Ferdy Haight took home top goalie honors.

The newly-founded Yubay Falcons showed some instant moxie with young Russian winger Geno Pasternak now at the helm. The ardent fans in Yubay quickly adopted him as their own, Yubay being populated with many of Russian descent, and “Geno” immediately became a household name. The Falcons weren't as good as their 14 wins and 5th place finish suggested, but the perception was better than reality after the struggles in Trowburgh. With Yubay being such an instant hit for the league, talks began of potentially adding a second team in the city as well as one in Portarra. The Saints posted a more respectable showing in their second season in Lecayne as young Polish forward Stefan Ostrowski started to come into own as a player and leader. The net is still an issue as rookie netminder Alan-Edgar Fortier was shaky backing up Reed Darling, but the team showed much more resolve under coach Merle Sharpe.

Portarra's coach Cyrus Street was awarded his second Best Coach for his masterful job in guiding the Whales through a roller-coaster season. Over in the Isle of Kirk, Captains' coach Al Weatherford had a mini stroke midseason and the Captains fell apart down the stretch as some of the abrasive personalities began to chafe without his leadership. Weatherford returned to the team just before season's end and the team had a closed-door team meeting to address the issues before the playoffs.

Standout star defenseman Paul Kauffman won his second League MVP award for his stellar two-way play in leading the Heralds to a second-straight season best record. With a better overall season stat line though, Portarra's Anton O'Reilly won Best Defenseman in an unusual situation. Both men were happy with the conclusion though, and a precedent was set for league awards with the MVP trophy winner not necessarily being the best at his position.

A note of encouragement for the fledgling league was the more competitive teams in Lecayne and Yubay also helped drive much higher attendance league-wide and provided an instant jolt to the league's cash flow to stabilize league finances.

The top four playoff qualifiers remained the same, with bitter rivals Port Alrene and Portarra meeting in a playoff series for the second time.

Playoff Preview

Heralds vs Captains

The Captains slipped late in the season after a strong start with the health of their coach but had a come-to-Jesus talk by season's end. Chasonne has continued its regular season dominance and notched another League MVP trophy. Can the Captains score a major upset or will the Heralds march toward another Marcotte Cup appearance?

Anchors vs Whales
The bitter rivals meet again, this time in a vicious Semi-Finals that will surely be a bloodbath. The Whales have the momentum but the Anchors have a potent offense. What happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object?

Board footera