Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2021 9:47 am  #101

Re: AltLB Design Thread

I can confidently say that San Francisco's submission of Emperors are used in the Alt Universe.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/14/2021 9:55 am  #102

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I can confidently say that San Francisco's submission of Emperors are used in the Alt Universe.

Good call. I DQ'd it in the official excel file but accidentally included it. It's off the poll now. 

8/14/2021 10:00 am  #103

If you wonder where the Disney Reference came from, it’s that the Walt Disney Company was founded in Kansas City. Also, when will we start naming the 1970s teams.

8/14/2021 10:22 am  #104

Hmmm, so to add more to the San Francisco Quakers name. My submission included a bit of history that they originally were from Philadelphia but moved to SF (ala Giants, Dodgers, A's) but decided to keep the name as it ties in perfectly with SF due to the seismic activity in the area.

But all around really good names by everything this time around. I was really impressed by the Cincy and LA, as I usually struggle with those cities for my own leagues.

Also wanted to point out. Hollywood Stars and Kansas City Cowboys were real life team, while I love both names (use them in a lot of sims) not sure if this was intentional or not. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Stars https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Cowboys_(American_Association) KC Cowboys were actually a name used 3 different times, though all before 1900

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

8/14/2021 10:57 am  #105

I'd think Senators would be DQ'd (they were the name of Washington's teams of yesteryear)...Pilots is a bit of a grey area (they were an MLB team, but only for one season).

Also, Wranglers is an existing AltSports name (Calgary's AltHL team)...

Last edited by Burmy87 (8/14/2021 10:58 am)

8/14/2021 11:21 am  #106

Yeah, Most of these are alredy used and are not really unique. Besides that, some really good ideas!

8/14/2021 2:12 pm  #107

Wranglers should be out if we disqualify Alt League teams with the same name, (Calgary Wranglers of the AltHL).

Curious why my Hornets submission wasn't included for Pittsburgh?   Did it get DQ'ed?

8/14/2021 5:20 pm  #108

Some of the aquatic suggestions for Los Angeles could still be good options for San Diego if neither of them make the cut.

8/14/2021 6:45 pm  #109

Burmy87 wrote:

2. I like how the name Masons works as well for Boston's stonemason history...whether or not designers will want to include Freemasonry aspects in it is up to them (Keep in mind, Boston also has a heavy Catholic heritage, where membership in Freemasonry is strictly forbidden)

Yeah, this was why I kept voting against Masons. The name is good in a vacuum, but problematic in such a heavily Catholic city like Boston

8/14/2021 6:54 pm  #110

sportsfan7 wrote:

Burmy87 wrote:

2. I like how the name Masons works as well for Boston's stonemason history...whether or not designers will want to include Freemasonry aspects in it is up to them (Keep in mind, Boston also has a heavy Catholic heritage, where membership in Freemasonry is strictly forbidden)

Yeah, this was why I kept voting against Masons. The name is good in a vacuum, but problematic in such a heavily Catholic city like Boston

I like bricks. Especially gold ones. 

This next batch of names is tough. None especially stood out to me, including my own. I'll be curious to see how Group B shakes out.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera