Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



9/14/2019 3:22 pm  #11


Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Stickman wrote:

I've actually got a question with an idea that I've got for a fictional league.  I've been toying around with the idea of a community based story where the community will choose all the teams cities, names colors, even the league format. I know that's like what an expansion council generally does, but the idea would be to do this from the very beginning of the league's birth. 

Anyway, the point out what I'm asking about is this.  I know the rules say we have to have all team identities announced within the first week of the first post.  Not to mention that we have to start releasing team identities within the first 5 posts.

Could we make a minor exception to that rule given that I would ideally like to give the community some time to discuss which cities, team names, and colors they want in this league?.  I would be requesting a week to allow the community time to select cities, a week for them to vote on team names, and maybe a third week to determine team colors, league name and division/playoff formats. 

I know technically people could just send me PMs to cast votes to abide by the rules, but I feel that the banter and discussions could prove valuable and allow everyone to see where everyone else is coming from with their reasons for their selections. I believe that would better for such a community based league.  

Any thoughts?

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you do make the concepts.

That's where it get interesting. I have absolutely no idea how to design, what programs to use, even what templates to get.  If anything, after the team colors and names were announced, I really could only describe what the uniforms would look like, not actually put them together, at least if I started this soon.  But if I could knew where to go to get those programs and uniform templates, yes of course I would totally make them up myself!

Don't get me wrong, I would be writing the stories and simulating the seasons myself.  I already have some story-line ideas come up and those story-lines would not go by a committee basis.  So I certainly will be doing most of the work here. I just would have more community involvement for some things.

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but since we're on the topic, does anybody have a good recommendation for a baseball uniform template?  I'd be starting from the 1870s (yep the very beginning of pro baseball) to hopefully present-day.  And for that matter, does anyone have any recommendations for what programs to use to design said uniforms?


https://i.imgur.com/bOOcjXB.png
https://i.imgur.com/aIJKWUl.png
https://i.imgur.com/pJ1hVEY.png
https://i.imgur.com/QccrpJP.png
 

9/14/2019 7:12 pm  #12


Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

Hey Stickman, I really like the community aspect of your project idea. I think that would be certainly fall under the forum guidelines but the sticky part will be design or lack thereof. If you had a primary designer I think it would work as a co-project where you and the designer would be the project owners and the community would simply offer input.

Something I mentioned to the other mods, is that you could easily circumvent the rule and need for a full project / designs at the moment and start a thread in the Names or Writing Workshop forums that would be the precursor to the project launch to get the community involved and ideas flowing.

And we can certainly offer design resources to get you started on the right track. Do you have any experience at all in graphic programs? I personally use Adobe products, primarily Photoshop, so most of my templates would be PSD (Photoshop Document) files. If you've seen my Torland Star League on the mothership you would know the template (designed by RSaline I believe) and style that I use.


Creator of the Torland Hockey League
https://i.imgur.com/cVJG2mo.png 
https://i.imgur.com/671KwUD.png
https://i.imgur.com/6tcOfwY.png
 

9/14/2019 10:36 pm  #13


Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

Steelman wrote:

Hey Stickman, I really like the community aspect of your project idea. I think that would be certainly fall under the forum guidelines but the sticky part will be design or lack thereof. If you had a primary designer I think it would work as a co-project where you and the designer would be the project owners and the community would simply offer input.

Something I mentioned to the other mods, is that you could easily circumvent the rule and need for a full project / designs at the moment and start a thread in the Names or Writing Workshop forums that would be the precursor to the project launch to get the community involved and ideas flowing.

And we can certainly offer design resources to get you started on the right track. Do you have any experience at all in graphic programs? I personally use Adobe products, primarily Photoshop, so most of my templates would be PSD (Photoshop Document) files. If you've seen my Torland Star League on the mothership you would know the template (designed by RSaline I believe) and style that I use.

And I use Gimp, a free software that's pretty easy to learn. I'm pretty sure Hawkfan used it to make the PHL back on the CCSLC. 

 

9/15/2019 11:34 am  #14


Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

Stickman wrote:

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but since we're on the topic, does anybody have a good recommendation for a baseball uniform template?  I'd be starting from the 1870s (yep the very beginning of pro baseball) to hopefully present-day.  And for that matter, does anyone have any recommendations for what programs to use to design said uniforms?

I use Gravit for everything I make, which is also pretty easy to pick up. It's free, it's cloud-based, and it's even accessible from your browser.

 

9/15/2019 11:38 am  #15


Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

Thanks for the suggestions!  I have almost no experience with design to be honest.  I took a graphic design class in college about 10 years ago, but I can't say I remember anything about it other than inventing some Pineapple headed guy for a brand of pineapple flavored vitamins, lmao!

I think I'm gonna try Gimp out since it's free to use.   Now to figure out a good template to use and then I'm good to go!  I'll try out gravit as well!  Really appreciate the help!

I'll try to see if I can use RSaline's template on Gimp.  If so, I'll definitely try it out!

Last edited by Stickman (9/15/2019 11:42 am)


https://i.imgur.com/bOOcjXB.png
https://i.imgur.com/aIJKWUl.png
https://i.imgur.com/pJ1hVEY.png
https://i.imgur.com/QccrpJP.png
 

12/17/2019 2:36 pm  #16


Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

Do we have to post uniform/logos for fictional simulations? Thats been the only reason why I never posted on Sportslogos was because of that. I have a few historical simulations but am considering creating a new one to post here but I don't have the tools to make uniforms and logos. edit, i just read the other posts in the thread so i just answered my own question. 

Last edited by master BDoof (CodeG) (12/17/2019 2:49 pm)


https://boards.sportslogos.net/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=31654r
 

12/17/2019 11:58 pm  #17


Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

Stickman wrote:

I've actually got a question with an idea that I've got for a fictional league.  I've been toying around with the idea of a community based story where the community will choose all the teams cities, names colors, even the league format. I know that's like what an expansion council generally does, but the idea would be to do this from the very beginning of the league's birth. 

Anyway, the point out what I'm asking about is this.  I know the rules say we have to have all team identities announced within the first week of the first post.  Not to mention that we have to start releasing team identities within the first 5 posts.

Could we make a minor exception to that rule given that I would ideally like to give the community some time to discuss which cities, team names, and colors they want in this league?.  I would be requesting a week to allow the community time to select cities, a week for them to vote on team names, and maybe a third week to determine team colors, league name and division/playoff formats. 

I know technically people could just send me PMs to cast votes to abide by the rules, but I feel that the banter and discussions could prove valuable and allow everyone to see where everyone else is coming from with their reasons for their selections. I believe that would better for such a community based league.  

Any thoughts?

Hey, Have you heard of the ICEHL? Because that’s basically this idea.
https://www.icethetics.co/the-icehl
 


https://i.imgur.com/uMwhwYD.png
Official Owner of the Toronto Terriers (5x Canadian Shield Champs) and Toronto Beavers (2x AltBowl Champs)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8VFzHYtOARw
 

3/09/2020 10:14 pm  #18


Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

I actually had an idea recently for a league that would start in the present day and go into the future.

However, my intent was to have each team have their own logo/uniform/general history and simply start the story at the modern day. For example, assuming that the league will "start" in 2020, I want to have Team A have been founded in 1960 in that fictional universe. Would this be fine?


https://i.imgur.com/Y7bpDXP.png
https://i.imgur.com/pUDwF1O.png
 

3/11/2020 1:33 am  #19


Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

CCLXXXVII wrote:

I actually had an idea recently for a league that would start in the present day and go into the future.

However, my intent was to have each team have their own logo/uniform/general history and simply start the story at the modern day. For example, assuming that the league will "start" in 2020, I want to have Team A have been founded in 1960 in that fictional universe. Would this be fine?

I don't see a problem with this idea as long as it doesn't violate any of the other forum guidelines.


https://i.ibb.co/p2YfPnF/New-Banner.png
     Thread Starter
 

3/13/2020 4:30 pm  #20


Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

So, do 'what if?' scenario count if you create a story about it?

Because my reason for joining this site was a place to do a "what if" run of the 2020 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament but with a few twists in there.

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum