Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2020 10:19 am  #1

NBA Expansion

So with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver talking NBA expansion, I would assume the move would be to 32 teams. Where would you put the 2 new teams? I have Seattle as a shoe-in to get one, but where else would you go?

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

12/22/2020 10:36 am  #2

Re: NBA Expansion

Either Louisville or Pittsburgh for the second spot with Seattle

Louisville because Kentucky is B-Ball crazy and they have an NBA ready arena. Plus they would have the city all to themselves since no other sports team plays there. 

Pittsburgh because like Louisville, they have an suitable NBA arena. Unlike Louisville,  they have 3 other pro sports teams in the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins who all draw lots of fans.

Vancouver is another option you can throw out there. The city should get another chance at a team.

12/22/2020 10:42 am  #3

Rugrat wrote:

Either Louisville or Pittsburgh for the second spot with Seattle

Louisville because Kentucky is B-Ball crazy and they have an NBA ready arena. Plus they would have the city all to themselves since no other sports team plays there.

Pittsburgh because like Louisville, they have an suitable NBA arena. Unlike Louisville, they have 3 other pro sports teams in the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins who all draw lots of fans.

Vancouver is another option you can throw out there. The city should get another chance at a team.

My first thought was Vancouver, but with Seattle seeming like a given, I didn't see the NBA putting two teams that close geographically together.

I hadn't thought of Louisville, but you make a great point about the arena ready to go. That's a huge plus on the city, and skips an entire hurdle.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

12/22/2020 11:56 am  #4

Seattle is a no-brainer for NBA expansion IMO, given how rabid of a fanbase the SuperSonics had before they became the Thunder, although I am not entirely sure that the Climate Pledge Arena will be suitable for basketball anymore due to the NHL's Seattle Kraken and the renovations to that arena. I could be wrong though. 

As for the second expansion team should this prove true, Louisville would make an interesting candidate as Rugrat pointed out, but I think Kansas City or St. Louis could also potentially work since that region is pretty barren as far as the NBA is concerned. The biggest challenge there is that the Sprint Center in KC was built in 2007-2008 or so, and may be a little outdated (Like how Tropicana Field was almost a decade old by the time the MLB Devil Rays became a thing in '98), so St. Louis I think would be a slightly better option assuming they could compete with the likes of the Blues and Cardinals. 

12/22/2020 1:26 pm  #5

Seattle's basically a lock, KeyArena will still be able to host basketball after the renovations (since the Storm are moving back in once it's done) and I assume it's more a matter of finding an ownership group.

My second choice has been Vancouver since they were done dirty by the Grizzlies and the city has grown a ton in the two decades since the team left for Memphis.

Louisville is another option, the only problem is that Louisville University owns the arena, so the NBA team wouldn't be making that sweet, sweet gate revenue. St. Louis, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh all seem like good choices on their face, but I personally have doubts about viability there.

Unfortunately, the NBA would most likely go to Las Vegas to pair with Seattle. The one good thing about that would be that Minnesota would probably be able to go to the East.

Last edited by QCS (12/22/2020 2:29 pm)

12/22/2020 2:26 pm  #6

I really hope Louisville's on whatever short list that they come down too.

12/22/2020 2:33 pm  #7

QCS wrote:

Seattle's basically a lock, KeyArena will still be able to host basketball after the renovations (since the Storm are moving back in once it's done) and I assume it's more a matter of finding an ownership group.

My second choice has been Vancouver since they were done dirty by the Grizzlies and the city has grown a ton in the two decades since the team left for Memphis.

Louisville is another option, the only problem is that Louisville University owns the arena, so the NBA team wouldn't be making that sweet, sweet gate revenue. St. Louis, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh all seem like good choices on their face, but I personally have doubts about viability there.

Unfortunately, the NBA would most likely go to Las Vegas to pair with Seattle. The one good thing about that would be that Minnesota would probably be able to go to the East.

I completely forgot about Las Vegas. They do seem like a strong option, especially with the NBA doing some All-Star stuff there.

Do you think it would be Minnesota going east? Or do you think they'd move Memphis or New Orleans?

12/22/2020 2:50 pm  #8

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I completely forgot about Las Vegas. They do seem like a strong option, especially with the NBA doing some All-Star stuff there.

Do you think it would be Minnesota going east? Or do you think they'd move Memphis or New Orleans?

I think Minnesota would be the most likely simply because Memphis and New Orleans have the Texas teams and the Thunder close by to make scheduling and travel easier, while the Wolves' closest divisional opponent is either OKC or Denver. If they shifted to the East, they'd have the Great Lakes teams to play.

12/23/2020 12:06 am  #9

I've always felt Minnesota made more sense in the Eastern Conference than in the West. And that's simply because the Bucks and Bulls are closer to the Wolves than the Thunder or Nuggets.

12/23/2020 5:14 am  #10

Everyone's moving to Vegas these days, so I'd give them the edge for a slot along with Seattle.

T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas could already hold an NBA team and makes a lot of sense with the massive influx of pro sports there with the Golden Knights and Raiders. I think that would be a draw over more established sports markets like Pittsburgh. 

Louisville would certainly be a more unique and interesting choice though.

I'm a little surprised they want to expand at all, however. Seems like an odd choice after such a difficult two seasons financially for the league. The talent level doesn't suit installing more teams as it's already top heavy enough as it is. Maybe a flashy new market like Vegas could attract an NBA star but other cities probably wouldn't. 

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera