Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2020 6:10 pm  #1841

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Burmy87 wrote:

($1 says Winona's winning the Valley)

For it to truly be the year of the 'dogs Cannon Falls would win it.

7/17/2020 6:19 pm  #1842

sportsfan7 wrote:

Burmy87 wrote:

($1 says Winona's winning the Valley)

For it to truly be the year of the 'dogs Cannon Falls would win it.

I like how you think, but the real underdog story would be Yankton winning the SHA.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

7/17/2020 7:36 pm  #1843

Burmy87 wrote:

5. Who won the inaugural Bone?  Did the Terriers pick it up, or did the Bears win it despite their lower standing?

Thanks for pointing that out, it is fixed now, the Terriers took it home

7/17/2020 9:00 pm  #1844

Burmy87 wrote:

4. Yup, at this point the "Twin Cities" return is inevitable (the aforementioned tradition, plus the fact that the Vulcans don't even play in St. Paul, let alone the St. Anthony neighborhood).  Nonetheless, I wouldn't be surprised if St. Anthony got a new expansion team in the not-too-distant future (though after next Sunday, AD)

St. Anthony Servos or CROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS?

7/17/2020 9:28 pm  #1845

Rube Dali, the DodoHorse wrote:

Burmy87 wrote:

4. Yup, at this point the "Twin Cities" return is inevitable (the aforementioned tradition, plus the fact that the Vulcans don't even play in St. Paul, let alone the St. Anthony neighborhood).  Nonetheless, I wouldn't be surprised if St. Anthony got a new expansion team in the not-too-distant future (though after next Sunday, AD)

St. Anthony Servos or CROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS?

I get the reference - and do you guys realize that MST3K was filmed in the Twin Cities (the KTMA episodes were filmed in Hopkins, and the Comedy Central/Sci-Fi Channel episodes were filmed in Eden Prairie) during its original run?

Inmate of the AHSylum
Athletic Director, Semiahmoo University

7/19/2020 9:34 pm  #1846

1978/79 Regular Season - South

Mankato moves up to a tie with New Ulm for the most titles in Blue Earth Hockey League history with the Moose claiming their 5th this season. Mankato was the class of the league, finishing with a comfortable lead over the other playoffs teams Faribault, Owatonna, and Le Sueur. The league overall was fairly even with any team capable of winning on any given night. Just missing the playoffs were the Musicians, Bavarians, and Governors who all had fairly solid teams overall. Albert Lea continues to be a one man team with their star goalie being left to fend for himself if the Dragoons are to have a chance at winning. Coming in last are the Fairmont Hawks who make it 6 straight years at the bottom of the BEHL.

Can you say Four-pete?  The Apple Valley Cardinals continue their domination over the South Metro as they claim their 4th consecutive league crown. Moving into second is Inver Grove who is making their first playoff appearance in team history. The Lions went on a few winning streaks, including one after Thanksgiving where IGH won 7 of 8 games heading into Christmas break. Burnsville didn't quite live up to the hype that many expected them to, but the Bucks are still a very capable hockey team who has shown that they have what it takes to win in the playoffs. Shakopee just barely holds onto the final playoff spot, coming out on top of a back and forth battle up and down between the Six and Oaks. There was a bit of a drop to the bottom two of Rosemount and Lakeville who both had sub 10 win seasons.

We have a new Champ in the Southwest with the Brookings Buffaloes coming out of nowhere to claim their first Association crown. The SWHA as a whole was a bloodbath, with every team finishing relatively close to one another all the way through, with the exception of Yankton and Vermillion who are widely considered to be among the worst teams in all of the MAHL, winning a combined 2 games against the rest of the league. When the dust settled and the season came to an end, it saw Marshall, Sioux City, and Sioux Falls following the Buffs into the playoffs. This left Luverne, Spirit Lake, and Worthington on the outside looking in, followed by the aforementioned Paddlefish and Trailblazers.

It was only a matter of time before Austin would find themselves back on top of the Valley, and after 22 years of waiting, the Mavericks are VHL champions once more. Last years champions from Red Wing were not far behind, actually dropping to second with 5 games left in the season. In third place, for the first time in their 28 year history, are the Winona Wildcats. Winona has always been known as nothing but the butt end of jokes, eventually embracing the suck and becoming a fan favorite as far as visiting fans are concerned, but things have slowly been changing the past couple seasons with the Cats slowly clawing their way out of the basement and into contention and now, finally, a playoff birth. Rounding out the playoff teams are the Mustangs keeping their streak alive, still having not missed the playoffs since their inaugural season. La Crosse put up a good fight, doing better than expected with the aging squad they had, just missing the playoffs in 5th. Northfield struggled compared to recent years, losing their top 2 forwards to injuries for most of the season. The Robins were next, followed by a bit of a gap and then the bottom three. Wabasha was the first loser, followed by their arch rivals from Lake City and then Cannon Falls.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

7/19/2020 9:37 pm  #1847

Now that all of the regular season recaps have been posted, it is up to our MAHL Analysts to fill out their rankings. I will then take the results and post the results along with the playoff brackets.

I decided that each league ought to have their own logos so I spent a bit of time making them. Some of them are a bit too modern for it to fit in for the time period we are currently in, but I didn't really want to keep changing them so it will have to do.

7/19/2020 9:57 pm  #1848

Yankton, we need to have a talk...

Plus, we’re getting closer and closer to the wildstyles of the ‘80s and ‘90s. Cooperalls, wild colors and striping, gradients, etc. I can’t wait for it!

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (7/19/2020 10:00 pm)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

7/19/2020 11:55 pm  #1849

Wait, Winona is a typo right? Holy mackerel. I don't believe it!

The league logos all look great. Definitely adds an extra flair for the leagues.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/21/2020 12:39 pm  #1850

Maybe next year for the Oaks.

Board footera