Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2020 9:51 pm  #1701

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

River Falls is a town of about 9,000 in western Wisconsin and it is home to UW-River Falls. That is where the Rapids will play there home games, at Hunt Arena on the campus of UW-River Falls which can seat 1,800 fans. River Falls will also be joining the East Metro Hockey League having some wondering how many teams have to join the EMHL before a new league can be made as the league is now up to 14 members.

The team will be called the "Rapids" as a reflection of both the towns name as well as the Kinnickinnic River which flows through the city. The Rapids logo is a roundel with two "rivers" in the bottom to represent the Kinnickinnic and the South Fork of the Kinnickinnic which both run through River Falls, and it also includes the town initials inside the roundel. The Rapids went with a simple blue and white color scheme.

6/19/2020 10:01 pm  #1702

Vermillion, South Dakota, home to the University of South Dakota and now the Vermillion Trailblazers. The Blazers will temporarily play outside at Prentis Park Rink while an indoor arena is under construction. Vermillion will be joining their fellow South Dakotan's in the Southwest Hockey Association and a rivalry with Yankton is bound to form immediately based on geography alone.

They will be called the "Trailblazers" as an ode to the explorers Lewis and Clark who stopped in what is now Vermillion on their expedition. The Blazers logo is a triangle with a stylized V for Vermillion with a red triangle pointing northwest, the direction that Lewis and Clark went from Vermillion on their famous expedition. Their colors are red, black, and white.

6/19/2020 10:10 pm  #1703

Worthington is a town in southwest MN with about 10,000 residents. Residents felt that if Luverne was able to have a team, then they should be able to as well. A group got together and submit their form for entry into the Southwest Hockey Association where they will begin play in the upcoming season. They will play their games outdoors at Centennial Park Rink.

The team will be called the "Zephyrs". The team did not say exactly what a Zephyr is, but some are speculating that the name is a reference to the Rail Road that created the town. The Zephs logo is a W for Worthington with speed lines, their team colors are green and silver.

Thus concludes another MAHL Offseason, let me know your thoughts!

6/19/2020 10:41 pm  #1704

I...am OVER THE MOON right now!  Not only did you make it four, but at LONG last, we're gonna have a Wisconsin intraleague rivalry!!! *runs off to celebrate, then returns*

OK, OK, I'm good now...but seriously, I am ecstatic to see the Rapids join (even moreso because it was the ideal name I had in mind)...and of course I'd like the Rapids logo added to my Wisconsin sig whenever you can, that goes without saying!  This is gonna be AMAZING...

Anyway, on to the other new looks:

1. Nice to see the Mallards unis refreshed...and yes, I LOVE the Packers influence on there.  I hope they have a breakthrough soon-I don't want them to fold (either outright or being merged into the Blue Ox).
2. As bummed as I am to see the art deco Buck go, I understand why...that script is a nice little change of pace, and it'll serve them well for the next few years, until that Buck head inevitably returns. (Nice new color scheme BTW)
3. Really neat new look for Grand Forks!  I like the fighter jet and the "Est. 1962" addition as well...though I do hope the "GFJ" can come back as a shoulder logo at some point.
4. Nice job simplifying New Hope's look...they've been stuck in the cellar for pretty much their entire history, so hopefully this slight refresh will help inspire brighter days ahead.
5. We're about to see the 'Cats return to their early-day dominance, aren't we?  This is a sleek new look for the era to come, and the lil' financial infusion/benefit of helmets could be that little push they need to finally win their first Kellogg Cup.
6. I LOVE the Columbia Heights identity...that means at least four teams in the league are named to honor parts of my own heritage (joining Steinbach, Rosemount and St. Louis Park-Alexandria if you want to count general Norsemen as covering my Danish heritage)
7. Nice lil' look for NSP as well...as somebody who absolutely loves the QMHJL's Quebec Remparts identity, this one works as an American counterpart.
8. If Saul Bass was an MAHL logo designer, he'd probably be the one who did the Vermillion and Worthington ones...these logos are abstract enough to stand out, with a little hidden message in 'em-fitting for the heart of the '70s as we move closer to the '80s.

All in all, another FANTASTIC offseason post...as always, you know where to e-mail the new logos and trophies (and the mascots list) at.

6/19/2020 10:52 pm  #1705

Love the Worthington Zephyrs logo, reminds me of the old WFL Chicago Winds. The rest of the updates and new teams look great as well, keep it up!

6/19/2020 11:01 pm  #1706

Thanks Burmy and DP for the feedback, it's appreciated!

PS, Dan and Burmy, you're gonna like next years offseason even more than this one 
Here's an updated Wisconsin sig

6/19/2020 11:58 pm  #1707

Nice work on the new identities!

LOVE the winged Hussar shield look. I'm sad it's not on the white sweater at least. 

I like the name and logo for NStP. I think all the colors are fighting for dominance on the uniforms. My eyes don't know where to look. A simplification in the future would make this team look real sharp.

The Rapids look nice. Classy and simple.

The Trailblazers have a nice look, though definitely not exciting. The triangle-V feels more like a secondary logo to me but definitely a good start for them. I like the striping.

The Zephyrs' look is classic 70's-80's to me. Nicely done. I like the green and silver scheme.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/20/2020 10:26 am  #1708

I would consider the changes for the off-season a huge success. There was not a single change I didn't like, and I am in love with that new Jets look. If you have it ready, could I get an updated Grand Forks sig?

6/20/2020 12:21 pm  #1709

Section30 wrote:

Thanks Burmy and DP for the feedback, it's appreciated!

PS, Dan and Burmy, you're gonna like next years offseason even more than this one 
Here's an updated Wisconsin sig

Don’t tell me, is there gonna be an all Wisconsin league in the MAHL?! No way...

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/20/2020 3:32 pm  #1710

Oh no, here we go again.

St. Paul - The rebels finally conformed. 

Blackduck - Give me more of that! Now give me a mallard head, as well! Great update.

Burnsville - Nooooo, well yes, but no. I will take that navy, it is ok, a sideways move. I just wish that the new logo focused more on wine. Don't they get that is what makes them unique?! The script is great, but I think it could use a color swap. Wine and navy look so much better together on the jerseys.

Grand Forks - Man, I loved that long boy jet they previously had. Idk why, but I am one to really favor less aggressive designs just because they feel unique. That being said, it was time for the GFJ to go. I like the new logo, even with the updated jet, and the jerseys are an upgrade.

New Hope - Always thought the puck circle was unnecessary, the stick and sword looks better by themselves.  Prefer their prior Buffalo inspired jersey.

St. Cloud - All around upgrade that was much needed. The SC looks good, and their jersey has some life now. Nice buckets.

Columbia Heights - Love the name and the CH logo, but I think the jerseys fall short. A little too simple. 

North St. Paul - This is probably my favorite new team. The N with the castle looks awesome, and I much prefer Ramparts over Castles. The colors are perfect, and the striping helps show that. The numbers seem out of place, though.

River Falls - This team stands out with the jersey sleeves staying the same, all while looking completely different. I think the logo looks good, but it seems very tiny on the jersey.

Vermillion - Perfect modern logo that is also so simple. Like a modern classic for the time that could stay around for awhile. Jerseys are nice, no complaints.

Worthington - The flying W looks awesome. I was not convinced at first, but it is charming. I am not sold on the green/gray on the home, but think it looks better with the addition of white.

Board footera