Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2020 5:08 pm  #1161

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

More LOVELY sets!

1. Gold is meant to be my Brew Crew's primary color...especially because any stains from our celebratory Old Styles won't show on them!
2. Neat new wordmark for the Jacks too, something truly memorable.
3. Nice to know we can make out the Bulldog in the purple circle...hope this is the look that sees 'em FINALLY go to the playoffs.
4. "Well, the names have all changed since you've been around...but those dreams have remained and they've turned around..." (Sorry, that show's not going to premiere for another two years).  Still, welcome back, Miners...hopefully you're here to stay!
5. The Trout is a VERY well-done identity, as are the Kellys and Cougars.  Nice to see the league with the most Kelly Cups get a boost in teams.
6. I love EVERYTHING about the Owls, from the color scheme to the Owl head to the shoulder eyes (different on dark and white).  I have a feeling they'll be a future powerhouse with plenty of fan support, leading folks to refer to the city as "Owl City." (Maybe a future son of that city can use that name for his music, even)
7. As always, you know where to send the looks.

4/02/2020 9:20 pm  #1162

Thinking about finding a new team to also be a fan of, along with the Redbirds and Saints (why not am i right?) I really like the Kelleys identity, but i like all of the brands, got anything that will help me decide?

4/03/2020 10:09 am  #1163

So when I first saw the Owls, I thought the "O" secondaries were meant to be eyes, and had to double check the primary to make sure they weren't from the logo.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/03/2020 10:21 am  #1164

Called it!!! Great to see now Tower-Soudan returning. I’m loving the other designs as well, but none will take me away from my Railers. ALL ABOARD!

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

4/03/2020 11:22 am  #1165

I love that Kelly Green!

4/03/2020 11:53 am  #1166

I like the updates to Fargo and Brainerd, and Colerain's color scheme is up there with Hastings and Silver Bay. I like the new T-S set. All around good job.

4/03/2020 12:44 pm  #1167

Oh those Owls are awesome! Nice work. I also really like what you did with Coleraine. Snazzy logo and a fantastic color scheme.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/03/2020 2:33 pm  #1168

Burmy87 wrote:

More LOVELY sets!

1. Gold is meant to be my Brew Crew's primary color...especially because any stains from our celebratory Old Styles won't show on them!
2. Neat new wordmark for the Jacks too, something truly memorable.
3. Nice to know we can make out the Bulldog in the purple circle...hope this is the look that sees 'em FINALLY go to the playoffs.
4. "Well, the names have all changed since you've been around...but those dreams have remained and they've turned around..." (Sorry, that show's not going to premiere for another two years).  Still, welcome back, Miners...hopefully you're here to stay!
5. The Trout is a VERY well-done identity, as are the Kellys and Cougars.  Nice to see the league with the most Kelly Cups get a boost in teams.
6. I love EVERYTHING about the Owls, from the color scheme to the Owl head to the shoulder eyes (different on dark and white).  I have a feeling they'll be a future powerhouse with plenty of fan support, leading folks to refer to the city as "Owl City." (Maybe a future son of that city can use that name for his music, even)
7. As always, you know where to send the looks.

1. The more I saw of the Brewers gold in the playoffs the more I thought that it just fit too good not to make it their primary.
2. Thanks, I'm glad you like it!
3. Haha I'm not sure when they'll finally make it through, but I have a feeling that this look is something that will stick for a while.
4. After combining with Tower, they have a population about the same size as Keewatin and Coleraine so I expect them to be able to support a team in the years to come.
5. Thank you, glad you like them!
6. Thank you! And Owl City may or may not have played a part in the reason they are called the Owls... I definitely expect them to be a top team in the BEHL, up there with Mankato and New Ulm.

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Thinking about finding a new team to also be a fan of, along with the Redbirds and Saints (why not am i right?) I really like the Kelleys identity, but i like all of the brands, got anything that will help me decide?

Burmy has been helping me with a MAHL Wiki for a while now, it has information about every team in the league and gives a little history for all of them. I would suggest checking that out, he's done a great job on it. Here's the link

Dan O'Mac wrote:

So when I first saw the Owls, I thought the "O" secondaries were meant to be eyes, and had to double check the primary to make sure they weren't from the logo.

The O logos were meant to look like eyes so I guess it worked! The other idea was to have it split into two O's for Owatonna Owls.

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Called it!!! Great to see now Tower-Soudan returning. I’m loving the other designs as well, but none will take me away from my Railers. ALL ABOARD!

Haha, good call, I'm glad you like the designs!

HWULA wrote:

I love that Kelly Green!

Thank you, it's definitely one of my favorite colors and I feel like it's underused so I thought why not build a team around it lol.

JamHeronArk wrote:

I like the updates to Fargo and Brainerd, and Colerain's color scheme is up there with Hastings and Silver Bay. I like the new T-S set. All around good job.

Thank you!

Steelman wrote:

Oh those Owls are awesome! Nice work. I also really like what you did with Coleraine. Snazzy logo and a fantastic color scheme.

Thanks Steel, glad you like them!

4/03/2020 5:58 pm  #1169

1972/73 Regular Season - North

The Granite was pretty par for the course with the Lumberjacks running away with the league title, their 14th in a row. The biggest story of the season was the blooming cross town rivalry in St. Cloud. For years the Bearcats have owned the Granite City, bullying their neighbors and never finishing behind them in the standings. This year was different though, with the Storm putting together arguably their best season to date and fighting with the Cats for the second spot in the GHL which they ultimately clinched. After the top three there was a bit of a drop and it was a three team battle for the final playoff spot with the Cyclones earning the spot in the end ahead of Little Falls and Alexandria. Once again the Bulldogs finished in last, although they did get 3 more wins than the year before so that's something.

The new look Iron Range was a bloodbath with 7 or 8 teams that could likely fight for a playoff spot in other leagues. The big dogs this season were the Grand Rapids Moose who pulled away from the pack in the second half of the season, being ranked 4th in the MAHL at the end of the season. Hibbing reclaimed the Quad City Trophy, edging out a fiery Eveleth squad in third. Ely is back in the playoffs after a 3 year hiatus, beating out Coleraine by 2 games and Mountain Iron by 3. Virginia had a disappointing season by their standards, coming in seventh. The Flames and Miners may have finished near the bottom of the league but they are by no means bad, inconsistent play is what ultimately did them in as they couldn't string enough wins together. Keewatin finished in last in their first season, looking much slower than the other teams in the league. It was a rough first season for the Kellys but they showed improvement as the season progressed so there is hope in the future.

The odd season kings have done it again, winning their third league title in the last 5 years, beating out a very good Thunder Bay squad in second. The Hornets put together another solid season, coasting to their eighth straight playoffs. The Explorers, Voyageurs and Wolfpack went back and forth all season long, ending with Grand Marais punching their ticket to their first playoff appearance with Duluth and Two Harbors on the outside looking in. Silver bay had a better season than the year prior but still finished near the bottom of the table, only beating out Cloquet who just looked lost this season.

The Green Army was rolling this season, earning the top ranking in all of the MAHL. Bemidji had their best season in a long time this year, moving up to second in the Northland. The Ox and Lakers both finished ranked, looking like serious threats come playoffs. In the bubble area it was the Battle of Manitoba between the Monarchs and Barbarians and despite Steinbach winning the season series and reclaiming the Maple Leaf Trophy, it is Winnipeg who will be playing on, earning the 4 seed ahead of the Barbs. After Steinbach it was a bit of a drop before the next four teams who all finished relatively close to one another, but not really in playoff contention. The Ice improved a bit this season, moving up to seventh and reclaiming the Can-Am Cup for the first time since 1968. The Mallards once again brought up the rear, but they too had a better season than the last couple.

We have a new champion in the Red River Hockey League with Fargo becoming the fourth champion the league has seen. The Titans had their best season to date, finishing ranked 12th in the MAHL. Grand Forks came in second, taking back the Fork from the Pointers who dropped to fourth this year. Thief River rounds out the playoff teams, coming in third. The aging Railers looked good this year, but there are questions as to how much longer their core will be able to perform, rumors are flying that this may be the Smith twins last rodeo. Missing the cut were once again Crookston and Moorhead who were punching bags for the bigger teams for much of the season.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Last edited by Section30 (4/03/2020 5:59 pm)

4/04/2020 2:30 pm  #1170

1972/73 Regular Season - Twin Cities

It was a two horse race in the East between the Braves and Retrievers. A fierce rivalry appears to be forming between these two with the White Bear Press stating "These squads just don't like one another, they both roll out the barrel when squaring off". The Braves ultimately came out on top in the end, winning their first league title. Both teams were ranked in the top 20 at the end of the season with White Bear coming in 16th and Maplewood in 18th. Stillwater pulled away from the pack in third late in the season. Fighting for the final playoff spot were Little Canada and Roseville with the Canucks slipping into the playoffs by 1 game. Fridley improved quite a bit this season, moving up to sixth. New Brighton and Mounds View both had sub par seasons, finishing at the bottom of the table.

Golden Valley came out of the gates flying this season, keeping it going throughout the season to go from missing the playoffs a year ago to clinching their first league title. Osseo and Coon Rapids followed closely in second and third with Brooklyn Park rounding out the playoff teams. This left Anoka on the outside looking in with Blaine also in the chase but coming short. At the bottom of the table were the Militia and Raiders.

The Twin Cities Hockey League was stacked this season with 5 teams finishing the season ranked in the top 20. South St. Paul claimed their tenth league title, barely beating out the defending champions who claimed both the Veterans Cup and the Milk Jug for the first time since 1962. Coming in third were the Vulcans who had a breakout season, led by a young core. The Mighty Millers came fourth, dropping a bit from last year, but still putting together a very good hockey team that could make some noise in the playoffs. The St. Paul Saints finished in fifth, missing the playoffs despite finishing ranked 20th in the MAHL. After the Saints there was a considerable drop in the standings with Falcon Heights having their best season in a while, finishing in sixth. The Bakers and Waves both had seasons to forget, finishing in the basement.

Edina claimed their second West Metro crown, finishing comfortably ahead of the competition. Coming off their incredible playoff run a year ago, Bloomington West continued to impress, finishing in second and being ranked 19th. St. Louis Park improved from a year ago to punch their ticket to the playoffs, coming in third. Richfield took a bit of a step back this year, but still were a team to be reckoned with, coming ahead of the Bears to clinch a playoff birth. Hopkins had a great start to the season, but began to fall apart as the season progressed, dropping to sixth. Tonka and EP didn't do much this season, finishing in 7th and 8th.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Last edited by Section30 (4/04/2020 2:30 pm)

Board footera