Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2021 5:00 pm  #521

Re: National Dashball League

Overall, I like the new look! It seems to be a good compromise between the classic look and the modern look. Not sure how to feel about the blue, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Looking at the logo, the shading feels a little off on the back of the sea lion. It's hard to describe, but it feels like there's just a little too much shading in a couple parts and it feels off. I also think a more aggressive expression wouldn't be a bad idea. The jerseys are great, no big complaints. That script is gorgeous, I only wish there was a jersey that said "California" instead of having all three with a script say "Sea Lions". I also wonder what white socks would look like with the white jersey, it might have a little more balance. 

Overall a nice look, I'd call it an upgrade over the previous, just a couple tweaks I'd make. Looking forward to the NDDL!

4/11/2021 5:14 pm  #522

I really like the new look for California! They belong in pinstripes for sure. Nice work!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/11/2021 5:23 pm  #523

I really dig the new set.

I like the blue, it makes the team have a bit more of an ocean feel that fits California and I like how it contrasts with the dark purple. 
I will agree with QCS that the shading, just a minor adjustment might be the best for the logo. I do like the secondary logo a lot with the blue now, and just in general really nice design. 
Good job!

4/11/2021 6:51 pm  #524

HUGE fan of the new color scheme for California, that shade of purple goes great with blue. I'm gonna go ahead and say that the new secondary logo for the Sea Lions is the best logo in the whole set and I think is primary level. I'm always a sucker for scripts, so I of course love that addition as well.

4/11/2021 8:27 pm  #525

Huge fan of our new look. I was always a bit weary of the double purple, the uniform stripe design, and the CSL logo of the last set. But you did a really good job at upgrading it here. The addition of blue first off is a great addition and is a great shade that works really well with the purple. The tweaked secondary now looks much cleaner and the addition of the baseball script gives us what may be our best uniforms ever. 
I'm still not a huge fan of the number font, and I don't think there needs to be numbers on the sleeves, and I'll agree with the others that the shading could be tweaked a bit. But overall it's definitely one of my favorite looks in the league. The blue jersey looks great with the California script and I would actually consider buying that if it were on the shelves.

4/11/2021 8:48 pm  #526

QCS wrote:

Overall, I like the new look! It seems to be a good compromise between the classic look and the modern look. Not sure how to feel about the blue, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Looking at the logo, the shading feels a little off on the back of the sea lion. It's hard to describe, but it feels like there's just a little too much shading in a couple parts and it feels off. I also think a more aggressive expression wouldn't be a bad idea. The jerseys are great, no big complaints. That script is gorgeous, I only wish there was a jersey that said "California" instead of having all three with a script say "Sea Lions". I also wonder what white socks would look like with the white jersey, it might have a little more balance. 

Overall a nice look, I'd call it an upgrade over the previous, just a couple tweaks I'd make. Looking forward to the NDDL!

Wallflower wrote:

I really dig the new set.

I like the blue, it makes the team have a bit more of an ocean feel that fits California and I like how it contrasts with the dark purple. 
I will agree with QCS that the shading, just a minor adjustment might be the best for the logo. I do like the secondary logo a lot with the blue now, and just in general really nice design. 
Good job!

Thanks Fly Guys! I took a hack at all of your suggestions. I think the logo is definitely improved. I like the California script too; I originally had Sea Lions on all three jerseys because (believe it or not) the Lions have never actually worn California on a jersey, but then again, there's no precedent for a blue jersey either, so what the hell. I'm not a huge fan of the white socks, but I also don't think they're worse than the purple socks. I've updated the original post with the changes, but here are the highlights:

Section30 wrote:

HUGE fan of the new color scheme for California, that shade of purple goes great with blue. I'm gonna go ahead and say that the new secondary logo for the Sea Lions is the best logo in the whole set and I think is primary level. I'm always a sucker for scripts, so I of course love that addition as well.

Thanks! I really like the secondary logo too; I'd probably make it the primary if not for the fact that they've had the sea lion on its own as the primary logo the whole time.

Steelman wrote:

I really like the new look for California! They belong in pinstripes for sure. Nice work!

Sevsdast wrote:

NDDL is next, if I'm not mistaken?

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Huge fan of our new look. I was always a bit weary of the double purple, the uniform stripe design, and the CSL logo of the last set. But you did a really good job at upgrading it here. The addition of blue first off is a great addition and is a great shade that works really well with the purple. The tweaked secondary now looks much cleaner and the addition of the baseball script gives us what may be our best uniforms ever. 
I'm still not a huge fan of the number font, and I don't think there needs to be numbers on the sleeves, and I'll agree with the others that the shading could be tweaked a bit. But overall it's definitely one of my favorite looks in the league. The blue jersey looks great with the California script and I would actually consider buying that if it were on the shelves.

Thanks y'all!

Last edited by ItDoesntMatter (4/11/2021 8:48 pm)

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

4/11/2021 9:06 pm  #527

Every update is perfect! This is a very good-looking team. There are so many teams I like, it's hard to know who to support!

4/12/2021 12:12 pm  #528

A little late here, but that is a beautiful identity. Love those colours.

4/12/2021 12:21 pm  #529

Great update for the Sea Lions! As someone who never really liked this team, they shoot up my rankings for sure! Looking forward to the NDDL. 

4/13/2021 10:13 am  #530

Well, it's been a long time coming, but it's finally time for the single thing y'all have been the most excited about for the past two months and change: the 2031 regular season.

---------------------------------------------

In 2031, the Texas Redbacks and Philadelphia Row both somehow went 0-66, in what many are calling an epic prank lmao

---------------------------------------------

Just kidding, it's obviously the NDDL. A couple things before we start:

- I'm only doing primary logos for these teams. This offseason was long enough as it was, so if you really want to see a secondary logo or a uniform set, I can do that, but you won't see it until July. I'm really only doing primary logos at all because I thought it would be fun to make some goofier, minor-league-ier logos.
- I'll be presenting four teams at a time. The teams are in two divisions of eight, but throwing eight logos at y'all and expecting you to give feedback on all of them seems like it might not be the best idea. (This also gives me a bit more time to get the regular season wrapped up and written.)
- Don't expect the NDDL to be a huge part of the story going forward. I'll mention it every so often, but think of it this way: if you were reading a book about the NBA and then it spent half the time talking about the G-League, you'd probably be confused.

Anyway, now that you've skipped all that, here's the first half of the NDDL West:

​
Colorado Silver Kings
Affiliated with: Seattle Sawyers

I chose Colorado as Seattle’s farm team partially due to the fact that the Sawyers’ color scheme fits in well with Colorado, and I knew I could make an identity around the state’s silver industry. The Silver Kings name comes from Horace Tabor, the Silver King of Colorado back in the 1880s. The crown is a bit basic, but fits with the saw look of their parent club.

Fort Worth Redbacks
Affiliated with: Texas Redbacks

Texas felt like a team that would want, and could afford, to keep its minor league team pretty close to the vest, so I went ahead and put the team in Fort Worth and reused the Redbacks name. Similarly, the logo is more or less the same as Texas’s, but with an FtW monogram in place of the Redbacks’ R.

Fresno Grapes
Affiliated with: California Sea Lions

Grapes seems like a very minor-league name, it fits in with Fresno, and it has the advantage of letting me use purple. I started out with a bunch of grapes in a circle, decided I wanted to make a Sea Lions-esque script, and then noticed I had coincidentally put six grapes across the widest part of the bunch. I threw FRESNO across them and voila.

Las Vegas Bombshells
Affiliated with: Los Angeles Sabertooths

I really like the Bombshells name, because it connects the city’s atomic testing industry with the city’s, erm, hot babes industry. The logo works in both, with a pair of lips doubling as a mushroom cloud, and uses a slightly redder orange than the Tooths.

Well, there you go. Hopefully it was worth the wait. C&C appreciated as always!

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

Board footera