Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2021 6:43 pm  #311

Re: The AltHL Season 2020

I’m for the 1 league with all the teams if we can get PIMs on the scorecard. My team was kinda built around the idea of having them, but I forgot that we went hits instead. Gosh, the EK9 / Kopitar / Tkachuk line could have terrorized this league if they were allowed PIMs.

5/02/2021 6:50 pm  #312

What we'll do is put the winning alignment from today's poll into a second poll against the one league option. We figured this would be brought up so we do have ideas to accommodate it. We can look to add points for more checking style points for the players that you guys are talking about, but PIM hurt real teams so making them a positive doesn't make sense. 

If you haven't voted on today's poll please do so we can move forward tomorrow. 

5/02/2021 7:19 pm  #313

Gritty wrote:

What we'll do is put the winning alignment from today's poll into a second poll against the one league option. We figured this would be brought up so we do have ideas to accommodate it. We can look to add points for more checking style points for the players that you guys are talking about, but PIM hurt real teams so making them a positive doesn't make sense. 

PIMs are very common in fantasy hockey. I get your point, but they give more ways to approach a team build and would make lower line guys much more useful. It is actually a more logical point category than hits due to the inconsistency of what is considered a hit. I do not see why real life consequences really matter when it comes to the category, but I guess I can make a counter case. Fighting is 5 penalty minutes, yet it can change the momentum instantly. In most cases I'd take a desperate defender drawing a 2 minute interference penalty over that same defender getting burned because he was out of position / off balance / outclassed. Penalties are very strategic in hockey and we know that because the term "good penalty" is a thing.

5/02/2021 8:02 pm  #314

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Gritty wrote:

PIMs are very common in fantasy hockey. I get your point, but they give more ways to approach a team build and would make lower line guys much more useful. It is actually a more logical point category than hits due to the inconsistency of what is considered a hit. I do not see why real life consequences really matter when it comes to the category, but I guess I can make a counter case. Fighting is 5 penalty minutes, yet it can change the momentum instantly. In most cases I'd take a desperate defender drawing a 2 minute interference penalty over that same defender getting burned because he was out of position / off balance / outclassed. Penalties are very strategic in hockey and we know that because the term "good penalty" is a thing.

I get what you're saying. That's why I'd advocate to find other categories that scratch that itch. I'm just saying that no team wants to take penalties. Guys who take penalties are liabilities to their team. People aren't signed to teams because they take penalties. They usually do something else that brings value. I do agree that fighting does change the momentum of a game (maybe there is just a category for fighting that we could take a look at). And people are signed to be fighters (less and less but still). There are definitely 'good penalties' and you give that guy a stick tap for it. But at the end of the day the team goes shorthanded which is still not a good thing. That's all I was saying. 

And your line is still pretty loaded with those guys. 

5/02/2021 8:51 pm  #315

Welcome to the new owners! Can't wait to get the craziness of expansion started up!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/02/2021 9:57 pm  #316

Welcome aboard new owners! I’m excited for the future of the league!

5/03/2021 3:59 pm  #317

I am excited that we have arrived at our first ever Alt Cup Final. The 7th seeded Calgary Wranglers will take on the 4th seeded Halifax Kingfishers. Will the Wranglers play straight up for the final? Either way it should be a competitive final round. 

Thank you AltHL owners for participating in our poll yesterday. The overwhelming winner was the option of the Premier League with relegation. 

Yesterday, we also heard the idea of creating one 24-team league. We suspected that this would be suggested by someone. In order for this option to work we will have to tinker our league a little bit to make sure we can strike a competitive balance.

While the details aren't yet finalized here are the things we will be considering if we choose this option. 
-We will be reducing the keeper budget slightly. 
-The roster size will be trimmed slightly. 
-There will also be rules to discourage the roster churn (six teams will naturally make this harder as well)
-This will be to make sure that the six teams are able to field a competitive roster. 

So...we have another poll. This time is is between PREMIER LEAGUE STYLE and ONE LEAGUE. Please make sure you include your handle so I can mark down your vote. 

https://forms.gle/WgQWNWPqNfGUe3xi6

For fun I just wanted to dig up this oldie. I am excited to add six new sets to this graphic. I also wanted to post this so you can see the color combos that are already in use. 

Finally, since either league format is not dependent on team locations we can move forward with our city selection. This go around we are going to submit our cities via this form. This is to keep things nice and organized. It also helps people make the choices that they really want and not be swayed by others. For transparency purposes I'll post the results after it's over. 

The following are the cities that I posted (minus the ones that are used) last year when we started this whole project. Feel free to write in a city if it is not listed below: 

https://forms.gle/t8JzdN2PE9nMy8g48

Albuquerque, NM
Anchorage, AK
Atlanta, GA
Baltimore, MD
Boise, ID
Buffalo, NY
Cincinnati, OH
Cleveland, OH
Columbus, OH
Dallas, TX
Detroit, MI
Edmonton, AB
Fargo, ND
Grand Forks, ND
Hamilton, ON
Hartford, CT
Honolulu, HI
Houston, TX
Indianapolis, IN
Kansas City, MO
Las Vegas, NV
Memphis, TN
Miami, FL
Milwaukee, WI
Nashville, TN
New Orleans, LA
Newark, NJ
Norfolk, VA
Oklahoma City, OK
Omaha, NE
Orlando, FL
Ottawa, ON
Phoenix, AZ
Pittsburgh, PA
Providence, RI
Saint John, NB
Salt Lake City, UT
San Antonio, TX
San Diego, CA
Saskatoon, SK
St. Louis, MO 
Tampa, FL
Washington, DC
Wichita, KS

I am really excited to get this going with all of you again! 

Last edited by Gritty (5/03/2021 5:06 pm)

5/03/2021 4:52 pm  #318

Cant wait for the Anchorage Anchormen

edit oh and uh go Halifax

Last edited by master BDoof (CodeG) (5/03/2021 4:53 pm)

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

5/03/2021 6:01 pm  #319

Rooting for either Calgary (the first team to beat me and thus helped cost me a playoff run) or Halifax (the last team to beat me and thus cost me a playoff run) ... WWHSD?  (What Would Hockey Stickman Do?)

Actually, I know the answer.  He'd preform a rain dance to try and cause a rain delay.... forgetting that would do nothing.

5/03/2021 7:21 pm  #320

Pulling for Halifax here, even though they were the only team that beat me left...

They just look too good. That cream cannot be denied.

Board footera