Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2020 5:21 pm  #21

Re: Seattle NHL Team Name Announcement?!? Finally?!?

I wanna hate this so bad but they enter into the league with a top 10 identity and one of the best expansion looking teams that I can remember. The name is awful, but it really has grown on me since releasing everything. The colors are gorgeous, the logos are phenomenal and the uniforms are great too. I'm frustrated that they proved me wrong, they managed to make a good brand out of Kraken.

7/23/2020 5:47 pm  #22

Honestly it's a super solid identity! I really like the look of the new brand. I'm still a little iffy on the name but they definitely elevated it with a pair of great logos, a nice color scheme and some sharp sweaters.

Not sure if this is official, but shows the away sweater is greater detail.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/23/2020 5:51 pm  #23

What I really appreciate with this (not that there's a huge problem with it in NHL) is that there are no pucks or sticks in the logo. I hate that so many NBA teams have a ball in their logo, roughly a third of MLB's teams have a bat or ball in their logo.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

7/23/2020 5:59 pm  #24

Dan O'Mac wrote:

What I really appreciate with this (not that there's a huge problem with it in NHL) is that there are no pucks or sticks in the logo. I hate that so many NBA teams have a ball in their logo, roughly a third of MLB's teams have a bat or ball in their logo.

The NBA actually has a rule about that. Your primary or secondary logo has to have a basketball in it. Only a couple grandfather teams don't have one. All new logo's need a basketball in your primary or secondary and your location has to be in primary.

7/23/2020 6:06 pm  #25

Darknes wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

The NBA actually has a rule about that. Your primary or secondary logo has to have a basketball in it. Only a couple grandfather teams don't have one. All new logo's need a basketball in your primary or secondary and your location has to be in primary.

That's not true. Looking at the NBA today, 6 teams don't have a basketball or basketball shape in their logo: the Hawks, Bulls, Cavs, Grizzlies, Trail Blazers, and Spurs. You could argue that the Bulls, Spurs, and Blazers have been "grandfathered" in, but with how recent the Hawks, Cavs, and Grizzlies' logos are I doubt it's an actual rule that the NBA has.

As for the sweaters, literally the only thing I'd change is removing the red hem stripe on the away. It's necessary on the navy sweater because the rest of that stripe gets hidden by the base color, but on the road it doesn't break up the color quite as effectively. However, I love how the striping is exactly the same on both sweaters and they didn't try to mess around with it with color switching.

7/23/2020 6:24 pm  #26

QCS wrote:

Darknes wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

That's not true. Looking at the NBA today, 6 teams don't have a basketball or basketball shape in their logo: the Hawks, Bulls, Cavs, Grizzlies, Trail Blazers, and Spurs. You could argue that the Bulls, Spurs, and Blazers have been "grandfathered" in, but with how recent the Hawks, Cavs, and Grizzlies' logos are I doubt it's an actual rule that the NBA has..

I believe that it is actually a thing, it just doesn't necessarily need to be on the primary logo. I found logos for the Hawks, Cavs, and Grizzlies that include a basketball in some form

7/23/2020 6:27 pm  #27

As for the actual Seattle news, I am very disappointed in the name (it sounds like an ECHL name, not NHL) but I think that they made up for it with the actual designs.

Big fan of the colors and the logos are great as well, I'm happy they emphasized the S instead of the Kraken name. Their secondary anchor logo with the Space Needle is the best part of the new identity though IMO, that thing is awesome.

7/23/2020 11:24 pm  #28

Let’s see how this logo compares to the rest of the NHL.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

7/24/2020 8:59 am  #29

Section30 wrote:

As for the actual Seattle news, I am very disappointed in the name (it sounds like an ECHL name, not NHL) but I think that they made up for it with the actual designs.

Big fan of the colors and the logos are great as well, I'm happy they emphasized the S instead of the Kraken name. Their secondary anchor logo with the Space Needle is the best part of the new identity though IMO, that thing is awesome.

I think they made the right move by not having a logo with a full kraken in it. They used an eye and a single tentacle. That gets the point across, but eliminates the risk of the logo looking corny or too minor league.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera