Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2019 7:31 am  #51

Re: The United Leagues of Baseball - First LA Team!

I also agree here.  Shorter write-ups will allow for more posts and that's totally fine!

6/24/2019 11:33 am  #52

Steelman wrote:

I'm gonna recommend what I said to H-Town in his baseball thread. Since baseball histories are usually historically long, I think less detailed recaps to simulate more seasons will be the ticket. Plus, with all the moving and selling and folding teams from that era do, it's hard to get super attached to any teams yet. I think some writeups along the lines of what Section30 does for his hockey league would be appropriate and you can flesh out where needed or storylines arise. Once you get to the 1920's or so, you can probably slow it back down.

Basically, anything to beat writer's block, DO IT! As a series fan, I much prefer to have regular seasons than worry about super detailed recaps. My .02 cents. Looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Section30 wrote:

Honestly I prefer shorter write ups to threads than the more elaborate stories, if you think that it is what's best for you at this time then heck yeah go for it!

I look forward to seeing this continue soon!

Stickman wrote:

I also agree here.  Shorter write-ups will allow for more posts and that's totally fine!

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely make the write ups shorter, and hopefully Section doesn't mind if I use him as an example for some write ups. Will hopefully have the 1891 championship up soon!

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (6/24/2019 11:43 am)

6/28/2019 2:49 pm  #53

The championships are here! 

The NEBL play in games: 
Baltimore vs Boston- Boston eclipsed a championship birth after beating the Snappers in a close game, winning 5-4 after stopping Baltimore's late game rally short. 

Hartford vs Manchester- Hartford won a blowout game in which the powerful Millers looked completely out of it, giving the Colts their first Championship appearance.  

The NEBL Championship! 
Game 1- After giving up 3 runs to the Colts in the fourth, tying the game, they bit back with a three run home run that gave them a lead that wouldn’t be surpassed. 

Game 2- A much closer game in which Boston gave up a game tying run in the 9th that wouldn’t be broken until the Colts would blast one over the left field wall in the 11th for the win. 

Game 3- Another close game, but this one would swing in Boston’s favor, as Hartford gave up two runs in the top of the 9th that would give the Sugarmen the win. 

Game 4- With a no outs and bases loaded at the top of the 9th, Hartford’s 4 run lead looked as vulnerable as ever. After a pop up into a hole in left center brought two home,P Julius Flam locked up the Boston offense, striking out one, and forcing a dribbler into a double play to end the game.

Game 5- A slow sloppy game in which hitting was abundant, and strikeouts were rare. Both teams looked poised to win until a powerful 7th inning breaks the tie and gives the Sugarmen a 4 run lead that would hold on for the win. 

Game 6- Boston jumps to a 5-0 lead in the first inning that increases to a 9-2 lead by the 5th, the Colts could never recover, giving the Sugarmen their first title since ‘87.

The USBL championship: 
Game 1- Kansas City jumped to an early 3-0 lead by the top of the third and with the help of their ace, Nelson, held Philadelphia under 5 hits all game.  

Game 2- The game stayed tied 1-1 for the first 6 innings until a 2 RBI triple by Cowboys RF Perry Wilson gave KC a 3-1 lead that held until the end of the game. 

Game 3- After allowing 4 runs in the bottom of the first, Philadelphia attempts to come back to win in front of their home crowd. They do, exploding for 5 runs before the end of the night. 

Game 4- Philadelphia evens the series at 2 a piece after a convincing 12 run win. 

Game 5- After giving up game 4, Kansas City came out determined and swinging. They sprung to a 5-1 lead by the 4th inning. But as the game rounded the 8th Philadelphia came to life and Kansas City gave up 4 unanswered runs, choking their lead away. 

Game 6- And to finish the series, Philadelphia wins their fourth straight in exciting fashion. Rounding the 8th, Kansas City was down 5-1. Led by LF Justin Roberts, they executed a fantastic comeback, scoring 5 runs in the 8th inning alone. They won the game and the series, becoming the first expansion team to win the championship.

I also did an illustration of the USBL championship! Inspired by the PHL and AFA, i hope this will be a permanent feature that'll make up for the lack of writing and give some more life into the series.P Joel Nelson of the Kansas City Cowboys is pictured above.

C&C appreciated, how do you like the new formats? Need more information or is it enough? How about the art? And comment how your teams did!

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (6/28/2019 2:55 pm)

6/28/2019 3:11 pm  #54

Love the new formats and artwork, glad to see this continue!

6/28/2019 7:05 pm  #55

This is great!  The shorter recaps makes it super easy to read through, but I especially like the increased use of graphics, (in this case, the tournament bracket and of course the series picture that shows who won what game and what they wore was always a good call).  The drawing is a nice touch too.  I also really enjoyed the AFA series (would love to see that brought here some day) and I can see the influence in your work.

Keep it up!

6/30/2019 11:41 pm  #56

Ooh, illustrations!? Excellent stuff! I like the new format, really nice balance.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/02/2019 12:35 pm  #57

The 1891-92 offseason is here!
To start the offseason the Carnegies officially relocate to Syracuse, debuting as the Miners. Named after the busy salt mining industry that has been a big part of Syracuse history. The move was “forced” as Carnegies owner said, “it’s really disappointing to have worked so hard for a team just for it to be taken away from us.” Midst all the talk of the Carnegies relocation, reports came out of nowhere saying the Trappers want out of Detroit, and are looking for new ownership of the team. Hopefully more will come out from that soon. 
On a more lighter note, Dayton, Hartford and New York are changing up their looks.  First, New York lightened their colors up and change their logo.
Hartford changed their logo and replace their uniforms.
Finally, Dayton touches their logo up and adjusts their uniforms, debuting a new script for the home uniforms.

Next an update about the race tensions in the USBL, On December 2nd 1891 Commissioner Armstrong finally caves in and after years of debate, the ban finally comes down on colored players. Although the effect at this point is little as most teams have already banned such players. This banning surprisingly came with backlash, from Chicago Maroons owner Fred Brown. Who originally refused to comply. 

Finally there were some player moves, specifically in the NEBL, Philadelphia picked up P James Cousins from Baltimore and SS Frank Ubina from Brooklyn. Next Providence make some moves, shedding younger, less valuable guys for some veterans in hope of making a big jump in next years standings.
C&C appreciated!

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (7/02/2019 12:36 pm)

7/08/2019 12:33 pm  #58

For the 1892 season (and continuing seasons) I have completely shortened the writeups, only including the bigger news, the standings and the art. Hopefully you guys will like it!

The biggest news stories of the 1892 season was;
-The USBL's first season whilst banning colored players came with criticism in Detroit, Philadelphia and Chicago, resulting in a drop in performance and attendance.
-The rise of the Eagles and Railers, who both improved by 13 and 14 wins respectively.
-Arguably the best pitcher in NEBL history, Ben Till announces his retirement after the last game of the season. At age 36 he played 5 seasons for the Sugarmen where he won 3 championships, he also played 2 seasons for Brooklyn and played his final season for Cincinnati. His peak season was 1886 where he pitched an incredible 22 and 7 record with a mind breaking 0.87 ERA. Only allowing one HR all season.
-The USBL adopted a play in game for the championship series, inspired by the NEBL. The top four teams clinch, just like in the NEBL.
-The Valentines return to the postseason, where they will play Baltimore in the play in game. The Snappers and Valentines have become one of the bigger rivalries in the league. After Baltimore edged them out of a postseason appearance last year.
(A mid season plate appearance between Snappers LF Joe Davidson and Hearts C Stephen Brown)

Now the standings:

C&C appreciated, will have championships up soon!

7/11/2019 12:56 am  #59

Quick note: On the KC-Philly graphic, the games won listed at the bottom of the scores doesn't change after "PHI: 1 KC: 2" I hadn't seen anyone point that out yet. 
I am really loving the addition of the illustrations and look forward to seeing more of them! 
Also dig Hartford and Dayton's new look! 

Only the written records of his travels survive.

7/14/2019 7:05 pm  #60

Balu the Bare wrote:

Quick note: On the KC-Philly graphic, the games won listed at the bottom of the scores doesn't change after "PHI: 1 KC: 2" I hadn't seen anyone point that out yet. 
I am really loving the addition of the illustrations and look forward to seeing more of them! 
Also dig Hartford and Dayton's new look! 

Thanks for the heads up, not quite sure what happened there on the graphic. I'll get it updated. I'm glad your liking the illustrations!

Any one else got some C&C?

Board footera