Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2019 2:03 am  #11

Re: The United Leagues of Baseball - First LA Team!

I've always liked your choices of team names, some very unique ones. I especially like the heart on the "Wistah" uniforms. I'm curious about why the heart is not on the same side on both uniforms though.

I'm going to cast my allegiance with the Millers until Pittsburgh gains a team.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/21/2019 11:05 am  #12

In the 1887 Offseason we had some big moves, news, expansion teams and some teams changing looks. So lets get right into it!  
First there was an important announcement made by the Generals not long after they got swept by Hamilton. Owner and coach Jack Henry had died of the deadly tuberculosis. He was 52 years old. With the passing of Henry, Covington intended on putting his brother, who had been the interim coach for the last game, in Jack's position. But he declined. So they looked for Jack's son. Who reluctantly agreed. Rumors are he'll fold the team or relocate it to his home, Cincinnati. 
Speaking of Cincinnati, the Rivermen Owner has decided 1887 will be the teams final season. "For undisclosed reasons"- said Owner deKorte. It wasn't much of a mystery however. Only 2 days after that announcement he filed for bankruptcy, spending team earnings whilst gambling and betting on his teams games. 
The drama also continues in the NEBL with the selling of the Springfield Deacons, the team however will stay in Springfield. But the team plans on renaming themselves and rebranding. Any changes would happen next offseason. 

Now for some player moves or pickups. Brandon Nutt made headlines as he was the first player to transfer leagues. After playing for Worcester the past 2 seasons, hes packed up and decided to play for Covington. This news shocked other teams in the NEBL. In fear of losing their players to other leagues they demanded for a rule to be implemented. However the Commissioner has yet to comment on the issue. There were 2 other big moves made this offseason, the Louisville Stallions picked up two players; P Trevor Schlagel and CF Adam Brock, both from a minor league team in Louisville. The other big move came from Manchester, who traded for SS Jim Files in order to boost their roster to make a push for the championship. 

Next up we had one team joining each league! Welcome to the USBL the Evansville Railers, and Welcome the Brooklyn Dutch Lions to the NEBL!Here are their looks: The Lions look is simple. They join their neighbors; the Bulldogs, as some of the only teams to have two colors. The adorn blue and orange for the dutch heritage of NewYork City.
 Next the Railers. Who have an E for Evansville as their primary. The crowning feature is their hats (get it?) which have 4 horizontal stripes.

Lastly we have some teams changing their looks up.In the USBL, the reigning champion Hamilton AC make another change to their uniform. Replacing their H logo and adding it to their jerseys.
In the NEBL we have Providence make a slight change to their uniforms adding their P logo to the front of the jerseys.

And that's the 1887 offseason! C&C and comments highly appreciated. 1887 season should be up soon 

5/21/2019 11:21 am  #13

The 1887 season is here!
Let’s jump right into it, but first, these aren't as long as the previous two. I didn't have as much time to write these so I rushed them a bit to make sure to get them posted. Now, onto the recap!

Well they sure did seem to! In the 1887 season the Stallions jumped from last place to second place. Led by CF Adam Brock and 2B Dan Hagar, the new look Stallions took the league by storm. P Trevor Schlagel made his impact immediately known, winning his first 6 appearances. Speaking of pitching, Klingel lit it up for the AC, leading the league in strikeouts and was a top pitcher in the league. Hamilton, who had the highest recorded win pct of any team in history, was led by league MVP Winston Reynolds, who has started to seem like he may be the best baseball player ever! The last big thing that happened in the 1887 was the fall of the Generals, who looked completely deflated throughout the season. Maybe it was the coaching and ownership changes, or chemistry issues, but the Covington looked especially primed to make another championship run with the addition of Brandon Nutt. The failed to even having a winning record, finishing at .500.

Over in the NEBL, the Boston Sugarmen once again took the regular season crown, with Worcester right behind them for the 3rd straight season. Worcester who looked unphased by the loss of Nutt. Boston looked as good as ever, Irvine and Lozano both followed up with great seasons, and Till had a bit of a bounce back season.Outside of the top 2 teams, we had Manchester almost slip in for the 2nd straight season. New addition of SS Jim Files played good for them as their younger core improved, Dissatisfied by not making the championship, the Millers may really pursue a final piece for next season. To round out the bottom of the teams, we had New York and Hartford, again, as Brooklyn surprised many and actually finished 5th. 
 Championship Predictions:
I say Worcester actually comes out and upsets the Sugarmen. The Valentines look the best they’ve ever looked and this might be their year. It’ll be a long grueling battle though. But in game 7 Worcester wins a close one in Boston to take the chip. Worcester wins 4-3.

I say Hamilton comes out and sweeps Louisville. The AC have put themselves clearly above every other team and that includes Louisville. I expect a big series from Reynolds specifically. Hamilton wins it 4-0

Hopefully your team did well! 
I do have an update, I'm posing the question whether you like the shorter season and championship write ups, like the one above, or longer like the previous 2. If I were to write them shorter I think i'd be able to get more seasons out a bit quicker and post more content. If not then i'll continue writing the longer recaps with more detail in them. Although with the ever expanding leagues, it might be further and further apart between uploads. If I shortened them now I would like to get back to writing some longer ones in the future. But its up in the air now, so what do y'all prefer?
C&C appreciated, share your championship predictions aswell!  

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (5/21/2019 11:40 am)

5/21/2019 11:38 am  #14

Now for the 1887 Championships! 
In the NEBL we had the second rematch of the Valentines vs the Sugarmen, it was a bit more exciting than the first. Game 1 was a close one that ended in a Sugarmen walk off. Boston went into the 9th inning down 1. With a man on first. Irvine knocked one right up the middle, through the pitchers legs. And as CF Bobby Ralph botched the grounder for Worcester, he overthrew the third basemen, allowing Irvine to advance to second and advancing the runner to third from first. Cleanup hitter CF Steve Lemon socked one down the right field line. Getting two home in a walk off fashion.Game 2 ended just as exciting as the first, P Jalen Herrod shut down the Valentines offense in the clutch and another walk off thanks to an RBI double by C Joe Rehkopf gave the Sugarmen a 2-0 lead heading to Worcester. Game 3 was again another walk off. This game was stuck in extras, tied at 4 after 9. The top of the 10th was a quick three and out by Stephens and crew for the Valentines. With two outs and everybody preparing for another inning. Thomas sent one over the leftfield wall. “The hit heard ‘round the world” as the fans in Worcester called it. It gave them the win as the looked to even things up 2-2 in game 4. They wouldn't do that however. Game four played the same tune as the previous games. Both teams taking shots at each other and following it up with some pretty well rounded pitching. As the Valentines walked into the ninth, it looked as though they had it in the bag. Until Irvine blasted the first one he saw to the outfield to give him a triple. A sac fly later and the game is tied up. After Till closed the ninth for Boston they came out and scored quickly in the 10th. The lead held and they took a 3-1 series lead.After choking the lead in game 4, the Valentines came out determined and had the first real convincing win of the series, winning 5-2 after denying Boston a hit until the 7th inning. This momentum didn't carry over though, as the traveled back to Boston to lose 5-2 in an uninspiring performance.
In the USBL and Louisville’s first ever championship appearance they failed to realize they were even playing in the championship. Or at least it seemed like that. After the AC won the first 3 in convincing fashion, with phenomenal performances by the likes of Klingel, Bracewell, Winston and crew. It looks as Hamilton would sweep the championship again. Then the Stallions finally woke up. In game 4 Schlagel had one of his best pitching performances. Stopping the AC offense that had scorched them all series. Shutting out Hamilton in front of the Louisville Crowd at Churchill Park. A 2 run homerun by Brock in the 7th sealed the deal in a game where Louisville started actually looking like Louisville. Game 6 followed suit, Stallions pitcher Justin Swanson pitched almost as good as Schlagel did the night before. Holding the Hamilton offense to 2 runs off 3 hits. The only mistake was that they pulled him in the 7th. With a 2 run lead Louisville got comfortable. Too comfortable. Hamilton rallied and came back to tie it in the 9th. It looked to go into extras. Until a sac fly and an error sent Brock all the way from first to home, winning the Stallions the game! Looking to continue the comeback, Louisville made a valiant effort but couldn’t keep up with Winston Reynolds and the AC offense. Who had 13 hits in the game. The 3 runs scored in the 1st had the Stallions playing catch up all game. They win the series 4-2. Hopefully your guys’ teams did good! Hopefully i’ll have the 1887-88 offseason out sooner then my last few posts! C&C wanted!

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (5/21/2019 11:45 am)

5/21/2019 4:07 pm  #15

Great start to this story!  I've actually been following this league since this was on the other site, so I do have an idea on how the next couple seasons go.  I'm definitely interested to see how things go with the 2 league format,whether they eventually merge or one of them eventually fails while the other become the MLB of this story.  Keep up the great work man!

5/21/2019 4:52 pm  #16

Stickman wrote:

Great start to this story!  I've actually been following this league since this was on the other site, so I do have an idea on how the next couple seasons go.  I'm definitely interested to see how things go with the 2 league format,whether they eventually merge or one of them eventually fails while the other become the MLB of this story.  Keep up the great work man!

You're really gonna be surprised with the outcome. Neither of your ideas will actually happen, well sort of.

5/21/2019 5:33 pm  #17

The 1887-88 offseason is here with some big news, and team shakeups! 
First, we heard that the Covington Generals are up for sale again. Although there have yet to be any buyers, its suspected that the ownership doesn't change, we'll have to see if they fold soon or not.
Next, after an ownership change in Springfield last December, it was suspected they'd rebrand. This isn't happening, the owners got cold feet about losing the already lacking attendance and fanbase. So they rejected the idea.
In other news, the Cincinnati Rivermen held a ceremony at Riverside Park thanking the fans who'd supported the team over the past 3 years and officially folded the team. With the opening in the biggest market of the league, there should be a scramble to relocate or expand. Covington is obviously in the mix, but with Dayton's lack of success, they're the second most likely team to relocate.In player news!

We had one big move this offseason. LF Tony McNees of the Louisville Stallions has packed his bags for Evansville. He'd led the league in stolen bases the past few years and contributed to the Stallions recent success this past season. Manchester traded for P Matt Williams to continue their push for the championship. If last season wasn't their season to make it, this season sure is.  

And finally we have an expansion team! Joining the USBL, we have the St. Louis Crusaders. Cherry red caps and socks are the highlights of the uniforms and branding.

C&C appreciated! I'll have the 1888 season up soon!

5/21/2019 5:35 pm  #18

Out of curiosity, will you still be enlisting Balu for help for this series?

5/21/2019 5:41 pm  #19

In the 1888 season we saw a big shift in power. The Sugarmen not finishing in the top 2 in the first time in league history! Irvine missing part of the season with illness and injury dragged Boston down, who barely finished outside of the championship series. One game behind a Valentines who looked like the best team in the League, even if the standings don’t show it. On top were the Millers. Who, after pursuing it for what seems like forever, finally reaching the championship. The rest of the league were one step behind the top 3. Springfield coming the closest. 13 games behind Boston. The Deacons who have been forgettable for most of their existence, are starting to get weary of how much longer they’ll be around. Under new ownership, a dwindling fanbase and less money coming in each year, the next might be their last in Springfield if they don’t turn things around. Finally the bottom three stayed the same. Hartford, New York, and Brooklyn, who, might also be weary of the existence if they don’t start to win.

Over in the USBL’s 1888 season we saw Hamilton and Louisville keep their dominance, and the Generals saga hit an all-time low. Covington who posted their first losing record in team history. Looking to bounce back after a disappointing season, things only got worse. With a roster strong enough to make the championship, they slipped under .500. If that wasn’t bad enough, the owner threatened to relocated to Cincinnati if things don’t improve. In other news, the Crusaders, the new kids on the block, after playing their first season, might already be folding. Supported financially by a local church, who also provide a playing field. Have decided to not support the team any longer. Separating themselves from the team after the they allowed the play of African-American; Thomas Jones. Rounding out the rest of the league is Dayton and Evansville, Dayton, who posted the highest increase in wins this season, are looking to possibly make a championship. The Eagles who have been pretty forgettable so far, are finally getting things together. The Railers however aren’t, having not done much winning at all find themselves in the basement again. 
Now for my championship predictions.In the NEBL i think Worcester while not clinching the one seed will finish this off pretty easily in 4 or 5 games. Manchester making their first appearance, don’t have near the experience that the Valentines have which will play crucial to this series. Next year should be more interesting, should they make it back.
The USBL is a different story. Louisville is back after making it last year. And in this rematch i think they might even have the upper hand. Hamilton was as dominant as ever. And with a big series by Reynolds, they could win. But i think Louisville could win a couple clutch ones on the road and win in 7. 
C&C highly appreciated, share your predictions for the Championship Series' and how your team did! I might also look into some sigs if anyone is interested, it might be a bit early though.

5/21/2019 6:02 pm  #20

The Championship Series are here! Lets see what went down.
In the NEBL we had the Millers, in making their first appearance, they played pretty well. Holding Worcester under 6 runs for the entire series. Whilst their defense was good, led by P Matt Williams, who won their only two wins, their offense couldn’t keep up. Only scoring over 2 runs once, in a 9-2 rout of Worcester in game 5. The Valentines, who played great, were lead by their own pitcher,  Jamie Brady. Who went 3-0 in the championship, shutting out the Millers twice. This incredible performance was backed by Thomas who also had a great series. Having had 9 hits in 25 appearances. The best of either team. In the end Worcester came out on top 4-2 to claim their first ever title.
In the USBL we had a rematch of last year's championship, it was a very familiar series of events. Much to the dismay of the fans, Louisville once again started off slowly, giving up 16 runs in the first 2 games. Schlagel giving up 10 of those in his first ever championship appearance. Schlagel in general put out a very uninspiring series, losing both his games. But he wasn’t the only one who played poorly. Brock only had 3 hits in 15 appearances. The Stallions were actually led by 2B Dan Hagar. Who knocked two homeruns in his 13 hits. This was a completely different story for Hamilton, who came out on fire. Reynolds and Trevino played their part, but the player to watch was Bracewell, who had 11 hits and 8 RBIs and played fantastic on the field. Helping the AC quickly jump to a 3-1 lead with his best performances in game 1 and 3 where he hit at everyone of his 4 at bats both games. The AC wins the series easily, 4-2.
C&C Appreciated, let me know how your team did, don’t be afraid to comment. 

Board footera