Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/29/2020 10:35 pm  #871

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

Associated Press
Nashville, Tennessee

SportsFan7 was announced as the owner of the Tennessee Copperheads in the AltFL today, during a media event that was open to the public and viewed by fans of the team. Broadcasting from an undisclosed location and wearing a Copperheads hat and a Texas Longhorns polo, claiming that “It looks like the Volunteers from a distance” and that he ordered a Copperheads polo, but couldn’t get it to ship in time for the event, he took a limited number of questions from the media after a short break for him to get his pizza rolls out of the oven, inadvertently revealing that he wasn’t wearing pants. When pressed on how an 18 year old got enough money to buy a professional football team, he said “I … think you’re … brea … king … up.” while waving his arms like a robot (When AltFL Commissioner Gritty was asked to comment he said, “I too was skeptical of SportsFan7’s bid, but I assure you, this kid is legit. I think he will do great things for the franchise”. Gritty, however, declined to comment on the source of SportsFan7’s wealth, saying that he doesn’t like to discuss the financial business of individual owners, but added that it is “mostly legal”). After dodging the question about his money he answered other questions, saying “I am excited for the future of Copperheads football” and “I picked Tennessee because I have never been to Nashville before and it seemed like a nice place to visit. I look forward to getting down there soon and checking out Graceland ” and “I love the AltFL and I think Gritty is the right person to lead it. I am a little concerned about AltFLShop.com, however. I mean, is it really that hard to get a man a polo shirt in less than a week. C’mon guys”.  He also declined to comment on specifics about what the team would look like both on and off the field, but said that he could talk more about that in the near future. The interview was abruptly cut off because SportsFan7 only had the free version of Zoom and his 40 minutes were up. Attempts to reach him afterwards were limited to a string of group texts saying “Sorry we got cut off, I look 4ward 2 talking 2 u next week 4 a big announcement”, followed by “Can you pick me up some more medicine. I think the rash is only getting worse”, and then “Sorry, Wrong Number”. SportsFan7 definitely brings the energy and excitement to Tennessee that Copperheads fans will enjoy, but one has to wonder about the financial well-being of the franchise.

6/29/2020 10:54 pm  #872

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 29th, 2020

Throughout the entire process of setting up the AltFL, people were wondering who this mysterious n00bthtpwnz was and why he remained nearly silent up until his pick in the Owner Draft.

"It's about time that you hear from me. I know that I rarely engage in conversations with the other owners, but as an acquaintance once told me, I am like a silent assassin, striking when you least expect it. Well now that silence is over and with the 20th pick in the Owner's Draft, I am proud to announce that I will take over ownership roles for the Birmingham Vulcans". Stated a confident n00bthtpwnz.

"I've got a good amount of Fantasy Football experience under my belt, including winning three straight championships in one league. Granted that league had only four teams, but I couldn't care less about that. Championships are still championships. Now, will that experience help me in the AltFL, well that's for fate to decide, but I will say this, this is not the last time that you will hear from me. My hope is that you won't stop hearing my name as I rack up title after title".

6/29/2020 11:01 pm  #873

For Immediate Release:

St. Louis, Missouri

After purchasing the Charlotte Racers of the AltHL, world renowned prosecutor Miles Edgeworth has made another purchase in the sports world, this time in St. Louis, by purchasing the St. Louis Explorers football team. In a press conference at the foot of the Gateway Arch, wearing his signature red jacket with an Explorers patch, and he announced, “This is another community I want to get involved with. The Gateway to the West is such a beautiful city that will have many successful years of football to come.”

The now 28 year old is more well known than his fellow owners, as his global law career seems to follow him everywhere, plus he holds a slightly more professional demeanor than all of the others. When asked about his fellow owners, he shrugged and said, “They’re characters, that’s for sure. Stickman does tend to annoy me a lot with all these cases. I blocked his personal number after he used it to call me asking about an incident involving seagulls, the USS Midway, and a dozen bottles of scotch.”

When asked about his push for an AltHL team in Kansas City, he stated, “I’m working on a few things and getting a couple deals in place, hopefully come expansion we will have a squad in KC. Plus I’ve got some deals in ownership changes to get the team. Do not worry, though, Racers fans. I have full dedication to bringing a championship to Charlotte. Plus, while the Scarecrows were my first pick, I’m close enough to them in St. Louis to be able to travel back and forth for the teams.”

When asked about his knowledge of football itself, he answered, “In my travels and analysis, I believe I can put together a championship team immediately. I may have not had as much time with the sport, but I’ve studied the contracts and the do’s and don’ts of building a championship caliber team. I want to thank Gritty for making this possible, and giving us the leverage to start a second league, in football this time, and giving me a chance to shape a team into a true champion. I simply cannot wait to start this season. We will carve a new frontier of success!”

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/29/2020 11:21 pm  #874

FOR RELEASE IN 37 SECONDS:

Springfield, MN (AP) - In a barn near Springfield, MN, Midwestern(?) businessman(?) J. H. Ark delivered a press conference to the sole Springfield affiliate of the Associated Press. After a soulful twenty-four-minute accordion performance by a JHA Holdings employee and a hip-hop mime trio, the big man(?) himself appeared.
Mr. Ark began with a rousing performance of Macbeth Act 4, Scene 2, wherein he stabbed a scarecrow with the valiant cry of “What, you egg?” Having committed dramatic pseudohomicide, he quickly whirled around and said, “The Dallas Bandits are now in my domain. Welcome to the winner’s circle.”

J. H. Ark then disappeared in a puff of smoke, quickly replaced by a haggard press secretary who indicated the end of the press conference.

JHA Holdings is a small investment group founded in 2017 and currently owns the Calgary Wranglers and Dallas Bandits.

(Edited for formatting. I really should preview first.)

Last edited by JamHeronArk (6/29/2020 11:22 pm)

6/30/2020 1:52 am  #875

Barely There Sports Management announces purchase of AtlFL’s Kentucky Stallions.

In a statement strategically taped to a statue of a nude man made of polished steel, BTSM’s elusive and alleged founder officially announced the management’s acquisition of Stallions instead of the Arizona Scorpions who were the only other team available for purchase.

“We felt a connection to this brand since it’s unveiling,” the message went on to say, “we were pleasantly surprised that the Stallions were available at this point in the draft.”

Balu could not be reached for further comment.

Only the written records of his travels survive.

6/30/2020 7:23 am  #876

The league has taken control over the Arizona Scorpions with the 24th and final pick of the Owner Draft.  I must say it was great to wake up to a completed draft.  Good work everyone!   Here is a look at how the draft worked out...

Now that the Owner Draft is completed we are moving on to the development and building of our teams.  The first fun assignments of the week are hiring head coaches and building stadiums.  

1.) HIRE A COACH - It is first come first serve.  You must select a coach from on of the following categories. (They must be living).  They must be a current or former NFL head coach. An NFL coordinator. A college football coach.  Or a former NFL player.  

2.) BUILD YOUR STADIUM - Last time most owners only built one stadium but now I am urging you to build two.  Build one for the Legacy Project and one for Modern Day.  If you'd like them to be the same for both (Lambeau/Soldier etc) go right ahead.

3.) TRAINING CAMP COLLEGE - although most NFL teams are hosting training camps in their own complexes now and are no longer making trips to colleges I though it would be fun if we did. 

***A little later I will have a big post regarding the fantasy league itself including the impending Rookie Draft.

6/30/2020 7:28 am  #877

Flashback to 2000:

The Dallas Bandits have announced the hiring of Bill Belichek, former assistant head coach of the now-defunct New York Jets. We believe that with Bill, we can have a dynasty of sorts for decades to come.

6/30/2020 7:45 am  #878

Th St. Louis Explorers are proud to announce the signing of Head Coach Sean McVay. His coaching talents have been shown to be exceedingly excellent, and his knowledge and football IQ will lead the Explorers on the warpath. Owner Edgeworth said in an interview, “This man is younger than most coaches yet is probably one of the brightest. I’m expecting great things from him.”

In an agreement made with the University of Missouri, the Explorers will be using the Mizzou campus in Columbia, Missouri and Faurot Field for training camps.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (6/30/2020 10:01 am)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/30/2020 7:57 am  #879

The Milwaukee Mallards are pleased to hire Milwaukee native and former Boston College head coach Jeff Jagodzinski as their head coach.

"When I took ownership of this team, I wanted to make it a true hometown team in every respect," Mallards owner Michael Burmy stated.  "As such, I wanted to make sure our head coach was someone from right here in Milwaukee, with a strong, proven track record, and was pleased to see how long the list was of coaches who fit these criteria.  Unfortunately, the vast majority of them were dead, and many did their coaching back when players still wore leather helmets, so the name which stood out on this considerably smaller list was Jeff's."

"Jeff was born in Milwaukee is an alumnus of West Allis Central High School and UW-Whitewater, and his coaching experience is as stellar as they come, most notably serving for two years as Boston College's head coach.  He will bring a high-flying offensive style which will not only make us contenders on the field, but make the games downright fun for all the Quackheads in the stands."

Announcements regarding the Mallards' stadium plans and training camp college are pending.

6/30/2020 8:07 am  #880

Destroyers announce the signing of Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll. Training camps will be held at Balboa Stadium.

Board footera