Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2020 9:15 pm  #71

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

Birmingham Blasters - well, instead of Blazers, we get Blasters. Hello 6th grade me, you'd love this one.
Boston Night Riders - (Dr.Pepper beat me to Rebels, so I'll go back to my HL nomination with the Night Riders)
Buffalo Lightning - I prefer S-ending names but I'll nominate it for posterity
Carolina Hawks - a nod to the Wright Brothers and Kittyhawk (if this goes against the Seahawks, I'll change it to Flyers)
Chicago Monsters - a nod to the Monsters of Midway and a name not typical for Chi-Town
Texas Wildcats - To unite the greater DFW metroplex, I'll go with the Texas location name. Wildcatters are part of the oil industry. Fort Worth is also called Panther City so it combines both cities

Last edited by Steelman (4/29/2020 9:23 pm)

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/29/2020 9:19 pm  #72

Steelman wrote:

Birmingham Blazers - fits with the iron and steel industry in the area

Just a heads up...UAB's sports program is called the Blazers, and Rule #3 says no area college nicknames.

Last edited by Burmy87 (4/29/2020 9:21 pm)

4/29/2020 9:22 pm  #73

Burmy87 wrote:

Steelman wrote:

Birmingham Blazers - fits with the iron and steel industry in the area

Just a heads up...UAB's sports program is called the Blazers, and Rule #3 says no area college nicknames.

Honestly thought their college football program was still shut down. Ha! Whoops.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/29/2020 9:23 pm  #74

Birmingham Ironmen: Taking advantage of Birmingham's rich iron/steel working roots.
Boston Shamrocks: My suggestion from the AltHL, it nearly won last time, soooooo take 2!
Buffalo Chieftains: I personally don't have a real issue with native themed teams myself, (with the exception of the Redskins, I don't particularly care for the name.  And I never liked Chief Wahoo of the Indians).   I think this could work if designed respectfully, which I believe this website could handle.  
Charlotte Sharks: Just something to avoid the aviation and royalty themes.  Plus, sharks are "tough" animals and they do live in the coastal area of north carolina.
Chicago Gales: While not tough, it is a potentially unique play on the Windy City theme, also Dr. Pepper took my original idea ;)
Dallas Bullets: Guns are big in Texas and Bullets is one of my all time favorite team name ever.

EDITED TO CHANGE BUFFALO AND CHARLOTTE NAMES

Last edited by Stickman (4/30/2020 6:13 am)

4/29/2020 9:23 pm  #75

Birmingham Kings (MLK wrote Letter from a Birmingham Jail)
Boston Highlanders (City on a Hill/Battle of Bunker Hill)
Buffalo Buffs (Self explanatory)
Carolina Reapers (Hot peppers)
Chicago St Patricks (Famous St Patty's day parade)
Dallas Pegasus (Famous statue in the area)

4/29/2020 9:26 pm  #76

Stickman wrote:

Buffalo Bisons: Perhaps a bit too obvious, but it's a great name. (Gritty, let me know if this one is fair to use.  There is a minor league baseball team called the Buffalo Bison, wasn't sure if minor league teams are excluded for use.  I'll change it if need be).
Charlotte Knights: Another royalty theme idea.  

If the Bisons name is excluded, then so is Charlotte Knights (both are teams in the AAA International League).

4/29/2020 9:30 pm  #77

Burmy87 wrote:

Stickman wrote:

Buffalo Bisons: Perhaps a bit too obvious, but it's a great name. (Gritty, let me know if this one is fair to use.  There is a minor league baseball team called the Buffalo Bison, wasn't sure if minor league teams are excluded for use.  I'll change it if need be).
Charlotte Knights: Another royalty theme idea.  

If the Bisons name is excluded, then so is Charlotte Knights (both are teams in the AAA International League).

Forgot about them, good catch. 

4/29/2020 9:32 pm  #78

Alabama Armadillos - Did you know that the nine-banded armadillo can be found all over Alabama? Also, great alliteration.
Boston Siege - Named after the siege of Boston, won by the American militia.
Buffalo Nickels - Buffalo is the Nickel City. Because of the bison on the back of the Indian head nickels.
Charlotte Regents - The best of the Queen City nicknames.
Chicago Shoulders - A fitting name for the team from the City of Big Shoulders in a sport involving large shoulder pads. Also, audible alliteration.
Dallas Remuda - The remuda was the group of spare horses watched over by the wrangler on a cattle drive. Whenever a horse tired, its replacement would come forth from the remuda brimming with vim and vigor.

4/29/2020 9:42 pm  #79

Birmingham Blast: Although I don't like singular names, this references blast furnaces used in the iron working process (wanted to go with the Blazers but UAB has that name ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
Boston Beacons: References the "City upon a Hill" sermon made in Boston
Buffalo Cascades: References the falling waters of the nearby Niagara Falls
Charlotte Kings: Typical royal themed name based on its "Queen City" nickname
Chicago Cyclones: References the city's nickname of the "Windy City"
Dallas Marshalls: Marshalls were the peacekeepers of the Old West (hopefully this isn't too similar to the Texas Rangers)

Last edited by DireBear (4/29/2020 9:43 pm)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

4/29/2020 10:09 pm  #80

DireBear wrote:

Boston Beacons: References the "City upon a Hill" sermon made in Boston

Beacons is the nickname of UMass Boston's teams...but they dropped football back in Y2K, so it's up to Gritty...

Board footera