Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2020 3:18 pm  #11

Re: The NHL Draft Riggi- I mean Lottery.

QCS wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Gritty wrote:

If I remember correctly the Cavs got the top pick 3 out of the 4 years. (Kyrie, Wiggins, Bennett) Another bad example was Ewing to the Knicks.  Also Anthony Davis to the Pelicans when they were going to leave New Orleans and somehow they got the top pick. 

Exactly. I 100% feel the NBA has no compunction rigging their lottery.

Oh, absolutely. Look at 2012: a team owned by the league looking for a new owner to take it off their hands somehow gets the number one pick for an all-time generational talent while the team who was quite literally the worst ever gets number two. Yes, I'm still bitter, why do you ask?

I feel that the NBA feels like the fans of the Charlotte Hornets/Bobcats/Hornets are supposed to just be happy they have a team, but that team shouldn't succeed.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/27/2020 4:50 pm  #12

To be honest, the more I look at it, the more I realize that any way to determine pick order in a draft is basically a lose-lose situation.

If you go by standings only, then that just encourages tanking and makes the tail end of a season a lost cause. You either try and win at the risk of not getting a top pick or you intentionally lose to the dismay of the fans.

If you go for a lottery system, then everyone’s going to call it rigged and have bad teams be unable to get a star player out of sheer luck. And in this case, the team that gets the top pick could become even better thanks to the modified playoff system.

There’s just no perfect format. Either way, someone’s going to be angry.

6/27/2020 5:38 pm  #13

Gritty wrote:

If I remember correctly the Cavs got the top pick 3 out of the 4 years. (Kyrie, Wiggins, Bennett) Another bad example was Ewing to the Knicks.  Also Anthony Davis to the Pelicans when they were going to leave New Orleans and somehow they got the top pick. 

The Cavs traded Wiggins and Bennett to the Wolves as part of the Kevin Love trade. The Wolves also had the #1 overall pick that year and took KAT. Yes, the Wolves had 3 consecutive 1st overall picks on the roster, on rookie deals, and only made the playoffs once, with the help of a ringer and that was only after Bennett got cut.

Sidenote: Apparently all 3 guys are from other countries. Bennett and Wiggins are from Canada and KAT was raised in America but plays for the Dominican Republic National Team. Though that was kinda interesting.

6/27/2020 5:49 pm  #14

Dan O'Mac wrote:

QCS wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Exactly. I 100% feel the NBA has no compunction rigging their lottery.

Oh, absolutely. Look at 2012: a team owned by the league looking for a new owner to take it off their hands somehow gets the number one pick for an all-time generational talent while the team who was quite literally the worst ever gets number two. Yes, I'm still bitter, why do you ask?

I feel that the NBA feels like the fans of the Charlotte Hornets/Bobcats/Hornets are supposed to just be happy they have a team, but that team shouldn't succeed.

I will say it'd be much easier to be happy if we didn't consistently get screwed over by the league. We lost our team and our name because the owner was a piece of human garbage and Charlotteans rightfully wanted nothing to do with him (he hasn't set foot in Charlotte since leaving in '02), then got a consolation team that sucked and was named after another terrible owner, before MJ buying the team and acting like he's the savior of Charlotte because he did the obvious thing and brought back the name, even if the jerseys and brand are soulless husks of the original set. He then never does anything to actually improve the team while talking smack about our players and involving himself in front office moves despite it being proven (quite effectively, might I add) in Washington that he is awful at FO moves. 

All while that's going on, our team goes 7-51 in 2011, but there's a bright spot: we could get Anthony Davis, and come on, we were the worst team ever, we have to get number 1, right? Apparently not, because who else but the goddamn New Orleans Hornets takes number one overall and is gifted a generational talent that they did nothing with (this is what will happen with Zion as well, by the way). They take our team, they take our player, what else could they take? Our All-Star Game, apparently, which was moved in 2017 from Charlotte to ****ing New Orleans. Not just that, but the success they had in OKC after Katrina bodied NOLA was the catalyst for the Sonics moving, meaning not only is New Orleans responsible for the mess Charlotte is in, but also had a major role in ripping the Sonics out of Seattle. So if you wonder why I hate New Orleans, this is why. 

Last edited by QCS (6/27/2020 5:50 pm)

Board footera