Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2020 8:59 pm  #21

Re: Your worst moments as a sports fan

This March was pretty bad.

6/11/2020 9:03 pm  #22

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Stickman wrote:

MLB: 1996 Atlanta Braves blowing a 2-0 World Series lead against the New York Yankees after winning the first two in New York.  Had we closed that series out, who knows?  Maybe the Braves would have had that dynasty run that the Yankees enjoyed in the late 90s.  Also, nearly every 90's post-season when we suddenly forgot to show up.

NFL: The 3 consecutive NFC championship losses that the Philadelphia Eagles experienced.  The worst by far, (and my overall worst sports memory ever) was the 2003 NFC Championship game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the final game of Veteran Stadium's life.....freaking Ronde Barber, man!

MMA: Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar.  I had recently become a MMA fan, and Randy Couture was one of my favorites right out the gate. A 40 something year old guy somehow the UFC Heavyweight Champion despite his age and smaller size.  Enter Brock Lesnar, former pro wrestler that somehow got a title fight with a 2-1 record.  Watching him dismantle Couture sucked big time.

Personal:  While I know this is about moments as a sports fan, I felt that I had to include my own heartbreak as an "athlete".  After all, we are our own biggest fans in sports, right?  This is about my final baseball game in Little League.  I already was terrible at baseball (yep, I was that kid you'd put in the outfield when he wasn't benched).  Out team actually won the city championship that year, but all I've ever remembered was the last out we needed to get. 

I had been made fun of all year long by the whole team, (never was the most popular guy, small wonder) and the crappy experience actually made me quit baseball after this game, and I'm sure it's why baseball is no longer my favorite sport (it sure was when I was young though!).  But with one out to go, I just wanted one chance to make a nice play to end my baseball run.  One chance to make up for all the crud I'd been put through.  One chance to finally be the sports hero I always envisioned myself someday being.

Somehow, the batter hit a fly ball right to me.  This was it!  I ran up, held up my glove in anticipation.  Buuuuuut, the ball hit off my glove, rolled to the ground, and I had missed my chance to be the hero despite it literally being the most routine fly ball ever.  I was so upset that I literally prayed to God that I'd get another chance to make it up.  Just. One. More. Chance.   The next batter went to the plate.  Unbelievably, he ALSO hit a fly ball almost right to me!  Holy crap!  I can't believe that actually worked!  I run right up to where I needed to be, held up my glove....... and watched it hit right off the glove and onto the ground the EXACT same way the previous ball did...............and they say lightning doesn't strike twice.

Luckily, we got the next batter out (by strikeout), but I'll never, ever, forget the one chance I had to be the hero......and failed miserably.  So, yeah, that has to be the worst moment for me as a sports fan/athlete.

I got beat wide in overtime of an amateur hockey national semifinals game when I was 13. Then I followed that by watching a future NHL player make our goalie look dumb, ending the season and our 75 game run to a national title (Which is ludicrous for a 12/13u team). I don’t hold onto it quite like you due to the fact that I was just a forward covering for 2 pinching D, so what was I going to do? Your story brought this memory back though, and I don’t appreciate it.

My worst personal memory was during a 14U game I got beat from center ice on a dump-in. I had it backed up and it just deceived me in how fast it was going, so when it hit me, I ended up stumbling back a bit and it trickled in 5-hole. Luckily, I made up for it in the 3rd with absolute left handed larceny, but it still was embarrassing.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/11/2020 9:48 pm  #23

Rugrat wrote:

Yeah you Minnesotans have it rough. You probably don’t remember the last time the T-Wolves we’re good

The Wolves have really only been relevent for one season and it was back when I was young when KG took us to the Conference Finals. I've personally never been a basketball fan and the Wolves being trash my whole life really hasn't helped me get interested lol

6/11/2020 9:51 pm  #24

Section30 wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

Yeah you Minnesotans have it rough. You probably don’t remember the last time the T-Wolves we’re good

The Wolves have really only been relevent for one season and it was back when I was young when KG took us to the Conference Finals. I've personally never been a basketball fan and the Wolves being trash my whole life really hasn't helped me get interested lol

When the Lakers were in MN, they were good but only your grandparents will probably remember them

6/11/2020 10:29 pm  #25

Rugrat wrote:

Section30 wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

When the Lakers were in MN, they were good but only your grandparents will probably remember them

Haha yeah, my grandpa actually grew up in Edina and his he's told me about how his dad would take him and his brother to a lot of Lakers and Millers games back in the day

6/12/2020 10:36 am  #26

Section30 wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

Section30 wrote:

Haha yeah, my grandpa actually grew up in Edina and his he's told me about how his dad would take him and his brother to a lot of Lakers and Millers games back in the day

Kinda simple to your story with the Wolves with the Coyotes being terrible I’ve never really been a Hockey fan

6/12/2020 9:43 pm  #27

NHL: 2007 Stanley Cup finals. I was young, bit watching Ottawa lose, I remember balling my eyes out.

2016 Eastern Conference Final. Again seeing Ottawa lose, I was pissed for a week.

CFL: 2017 Eastern Final, hurt watching Ottawa lose right after a Grey Cup win over the monster Stampeders.

Peraonal: 2019 YBC Senior Boys Doubles Zone Round. Fell apart and bowled two horrible games when the heat was on. Devastated as it was the last shot for the four of us to move on as two of us are retiring. Blew the shots that counted..

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

6/13/2020 10:07 pm  #28

As a Masshole, I don't have many of these, and Darknes already hit most of mine, but Eli Manning, David Tyree, and Mario Manningham all have a special place in my personal hell for their transgressions. The "chicken and beer" September of 2011 was also a bad time as a Sox fan.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

6/14/2020 10:40 pm  #29

Okay, actual worst moment time: Game 7 of the Stars/Blues WC semifinals. This was sad just because of how disappointing the ending was; I didn't watch it on TV (so I didn't see the winning goal right away), but I was listening to it on the NHL.com radio while I was finishing homework.

I just remember being so frustrated after hearing Razor call that last goal.

6/15/2020 12:53 pm  #30

Okay I was born in Washington state, so I cheer for Seattle. 
Seahawks- I don't even have to say it, you already know. I was at a Super Bowl party and I was so excited to see my team win back to back Super Bowls, so I was crushed.
Mariners- Literally any point in our franchise history as the ALCS is as far as we have ever gone.
Personal- I'm still in High School, but my football team Freshman year went 0-9 after being a game away from state the year before.

Board footera