Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2020 2:00 pm  #1

Ideas for a new sport

I have ideas for a new one-on-one sport.  These are all theoretical and have to be worked out in person.The sport is called Flit, meaning to move lightly and swiftly; fly, dart, or skim along.

Logo:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rCS62-VJYwxdVKXCLXEcpfWrBCO7W-HU

Another name I thought of is BTTW (Balls To The Wall).

Players take turns throwing or kicking a ball across a court and score points by having the ball make contact with the wall that is behind their opponent. The player who has the most points at the end of the match wins.The court would be enclosed, 36 feet long and 11.5 feet wide, separated into halves by a center line (sort of like a Jorkyball court). At both ends of the court are goal zones. Points are scored when a player throws or kicks a ball and the ball hits the wall behind a goal zone. The shot clock would be around 5-7 seconds once a player takes possession.

Court: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tpmln-qtubGwkCjp99cpsrlLhcjXO87F
Goal zones: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X7kcMCnxSYY29Yuf3kxOj_dKxsrDxUJO

Each goal zone has five parts:
Outside sections are 3 feet wide and are worth 1 point
Left-center and right-center sections are 2 feet wide and are worth 2 points
Center section is 1.5 feet wide and is worth 3 points
Height of the zones TBD.

If a ball is kicked (instead of thrown) and it hits one of these zones, those points are doubled.

The defender can catch the ball, block or deflect it with any body part, anything to stop the ball from hitting the goal zone behind them. Sports gloves can be used to protect the hands.

The ball can bounce off the side walls or floor before hitting the goal zone. A defender may choose to give up points by letting the ball hit the goal zone and picking up the rebound. This could put the defender in a good position to take their next shot. If a rebounded ball crosses the center line back to the player who initially threw it, it counts as a turnover and the attacking player can take another shot.

Players are not required to bounce the ball prior to shooting.The attacker's foot can touch the center line while taking a shot, but if any part of their foot steps over the line, it is an automatic turnover.

Balls: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61tMX3OUabL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The ball is very unique to competitive sports: a tennis ball around 2 inches in diameter. This allows for both a traditional throwing motion and an Ultimate/flying disc throwing motion. Curved throws might also be possible.

Games would be around 10 minutes in length with one or two breaks. There would be multiple games in a day. 

The game doesn’t sound like much, except:
The short distance the ball has to travel (18 feet at high speed) requiring quick defense.
Each player constantly and quickly switching between offense and defense.
Instead of having one goal always having the same amount of points, attackers have a whole wall to aim for with multiple scoring opportunities.
There are no time delays passing the ball around looking for a shot to take, and there is no waiting for other players, this game would be constant action.
This game is all about speed and trying to get the defender out of position so they cannot block the shot, like taking shots in hockey. Instead of one goal, defenders have to defend a whole 11.5 foot wide wall, almost like a soccer goalie.

Because this is a one-on-one sport, there would be no coaches or teammates for help. Each player would need to develop their own offensive and defensive strategies and playing style. Players would have their own branding, logos and uniform, kind of like a wrestler.

Feedback and other ideas are welcome.

Last edited by CaliforniaGlowin (5/20/2020 2:02 pm)

5/20/2020 3:27 pm  #2

Re: Ideas for a new sport

This definitely seems interesting. If I had one suggestion to make it would be to make it a team sport (say 3ish) and expand the court and add more balls, to keep a more constant flow of action. With only one ball, Flit may be prone to a more methodical, sharp-shooting, strategy. This way there will probably be something going on at all times, but by keeping ratio at 1 ball for 2 players, it doesn't run the risk of being organized chaos. In the name of safety, I would also increase the size of the ball by a bit (say to 3 or 4 inch diameter), because it would slow down the throws a bit and make the ball easier to kick.

Overall a great concept, just my 2 cents.

5/20/2020 3:38 pm  #3

Don’t call it “Balls to the Wall”.

Just don’t.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

5/20/2020 7:58 pm  #4

sportsfan7 wrote:

With only one ball, Flit may be prone to a more methodical, sharp-shooting, strategy.

Thanks for the input, but that's kind of the point.  I was thinking of it as a more controlled version of tennis.  Maybe if the shot clock was 4 seconds there would be more action? 

Yea the larger ball would be easier to kick, I thought of using the smaller ball to make it more unique.

And the BTTW name was kind of a joke, I didn't think that would go haha.

Board footera