Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2020 8:46 pm  #391

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

CaliforniaGlowin wrote:

I'm all over this because I'm a fan of all these teams.
The Charlotte Hornets have a bright teal, which looks like San Antonio.
The San Jose Sharks have a darker teal, which could work for Tennessee.
The Miami Heat blue is not teal, it is electric blue.

I'm not sure where the idea that the Hornets have a bright teal comes from, because they really don't. In fact, out of context, it's a pretty ugly color in my opinion. 

Compare them:
If anything, the Hornets and Sharks are the closest here. In fact, the Sharks' original teal is literally the exact same color as the Hornets' teal. They've since darkened it, but it's still very close.

5/19/2020 9:19 pm  #392

QCS wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

South logo thoughts from Dan O'Mac

*snipped for space*

I love hearing other's opinions on the logos! I'd like to ask you a couple questions for my own improvement as well as to see your logic a little more. 

Birmingham: I designed C because I didn't want to use a "V" in the way the real Birmingham Vulcans did. I was originally going to use an anvil as well, but the whole thing felt off and the burst looked great behind the hammer alone. Do you think this was the right call or do you think an anvil would have made it a stronger logo? (Also, technically Vulcan isn't an Olympian because he's Roman, not Greek, but that's being pedantic.)

Dallas: I was behind B, I agree it could use a little work, I just wanted to get something out there. What color do you would've made it pop more? I had originally thought red but as I worked it seemed just black and white worked best. 

Orlando: D was mine, glad to see you liked it! The font is called Alien Encounters (fitting, huh?) and the colors come from a picture of the Milky Way I was able to find online. Do you have any suggestions for improvement? 

Gritty, thanks for the response. That's what I assumed, I just wanted to confirm.

For Birmingham, I really liked the entire look you had, especially the colors. That bright yellow would've been awesome. But I felt the V-Flame logo was just a nice clean logo, paid homage to the original Vulcans, but was well updated.

On Dallas, I really liked the simplicity of the logo, and picked up some strong Umbrella Academy vibes with the domino mask. I think with it just black and white, the lines could've been a bit bolder to make it stand out. It's hard, it was a great minimalist look, so adding another color to it would've changed that aesthetic.

Orlando was so tough for me, I thought that the top three logos (in my opinion) were all great, and any of them could've been chosen easily. Much like Birmingham, I felt like this would've been an easy logo to select if I hadn't just really liked one of the other logos (A had, what I felt, a great logo).

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/19/2020 9:23 pm  #393

I have to say that it is a good sign when everyone is repeating the phrase, "this one was really difficult to decide".  

5/19/2020 10:33 pm  #394

QCS wrote:

CaliforniaGlowin wrote:

I'm all over this because I'm a fan of all these teams.
The Charlotte Hornets have a bright teal, which looks like San Antonio.
The San Jose Sharks have a darker teal, which could work for Tennessee.
The Miami Heat blue is not teal, it is electric blue.

I'm not sure where the idea that the Hornets have a bright teal comes from, because they really don't. In fact, out of context, it's a pretty ugly color in my opinion. 

Compare them:
If anything, the Hornets and Sharks are the closest here. In fact, the Sharks' original teal is literally the exact same color as the Hornets' teal. They've since darkened it, but it's still very close.

Yea it's close, but the color values I've seen the Hornets is a little brighter, especially under the lights.  The Hornets fabric seems to have slightly more blue to it, despite what the color values show.
[img]https://images2.minutemediacdn.com/image/fetch/w_736,h_485,c_fill,g_auto,f_auto/https%3A%2F%2Fswarmandsting.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1211180003-850x560.jpeg[/img]

5/19/2020 10:56 pm  #395

Dan O'Mac wrote:

QCS wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

South logo thoughts from Dan O'Mac

*snipped for space*

I love hearing other's opinions on the logos! I'd like to ask you a couple questions for my own improvement as well as to see your logic a little more. 

Birmingham: I designed C because I didn't want to use a "V" in the way the real Birmingham Vulcans did. I was originally going to use an anvil as well, but the whole thing felt off and the burst looked great behind the hammer alone. Do you think this was the right call or do you think an anvil would have made it a stronger logo? (Also, technically Vulcan isn't an Olympian because he's Roman, not Greek, but that's being pedantic.)

Dallas: I was behind B, I agree it could use a little work, I just wanted to get something out there. What color do you would've made it pop more? I had originally thought red but as I worked it seemed just black and white worked best. 

Orlando: D was mine, glad to see you liked it! The font is called Alien Encounters (fitting, huh?) and the colors come from a picture of the Milky Way I was able to find online. Do you have any suggestions for improvement? 

Gritty, thanks for the response. That's what I assumed, I just wanted to confirm.

For Birmingham, I really liked the entire look you had, especially the colors. That bright yellow would've been awesome. But I felt the V-Flame logo was just a nice clean logo, paid homage to the original Vulcans, but was well updated.

On Dallas, I really liked the simplicity of the logo, and picked up some strong Umbrella Academy vibes with the domino mask. I think with it just black and white, the lines could've been a bit bolder to make it stand out. It's hard, it was a great minimalist look, so adding another color to it would've changed that aesthetic.

Orlando was so tough for me, I thought that the top three logos (in my opinion) were all great, and any of them could've been chosen easily. Much like Birmingham, I felt like this would've been an easy logo to select if I hadn't just really liked one of the other logos (A had, what I felt, a great logo).

Gotcha. I'm really glad you liked my logos so much, and I hope with the next division I'll be able to be the one behind the logos you think are just too good!

Gritty wrote:

I have to say that it is a good sign when everyone is repeating the phrase, "this one was really difficult to decide".  

Yeah, it's great to see that we have a ton of great concepts. Excited for tomorrow and the North's logo poll!

CaliforniaGlowin wrote:

Yea it's close, but the color values I've seen the Hornets is a little brighter, especially under the lights.  The Hornets fabric seems to have slightly more blue to it, despite what the color values show.

The Sharks did deepen their teal after their original set, but the Hornets and Sharks are still quite close. The Hornets look bright under the lights but the color itself isn't all that bright. It looks even worse paired with the awful dark purple the Hornets currently use. 

5/20/2020 9:36 am  #396

To the NORTH! 

Here is the poll for the AltFL NORTH...

https://forms.gle/CidaKosPhMW8AY118

I have enjoyed the feedback on logos during the South Division.  I just ask holding off on comments for the first day so we do not sway anyone's vote.  I will close the poll once the votes slow down...at that point I will send a warning as to when I will close it for good.  Anyway, once again good work everyone.  Remember the AltFL WEST is due on Saturday.  

5/20/2020 10:24 am  #397

Sorry I didn't read the part about no comments!

Last edited by ANDY! (5/20/2020 10:35 am)

5/20/2020 6:17 pm  #398

Hey everyone I have to own up to a mistake.  Through the pile of emailed submissions I missed one for Buffalo.  So I have made a new poll for the Bolts.  I apologize for making you vote twice on them but it's only fair.  

https://forms.gle/VCk4iga8X2KDweP66

**With that said I think it is safe to share your thoughts on the submissions.  Let's keep it positive and productive but I am interested to hear what you think.  

5/20/2020 6:35 pm  #399

So as the local Townie regarding Boston, I'm gonna offer my critiques.

I ended voting for A since I think it's the best looking logo of the bunch, I vastly prefer C's wordmark but I've got something in my mind that isn't digging the lantern logo. B's colors don't seem "right" for the name, the bright teal in particular plus with the white makes it almost illegible 

5/20/2020 7:36 pm  #400

I'll go through these real quick for now then offer a deeper analysis after the logos have been revealed. 

Boston - I think A looks the best, but I'll echo that I think the wordmark for C is better. I think the lantern idea is strong but it could use some better execution. 

Buffalo - I think both B and C have good ideas, but they could use a little better execution and I don't care for A's wordmark. E, F, and G are all good, but I think G has an edge given it wouldn't need to be reversed on helmets.

Carolina - A has I think a better idea, but the C within it is a little hard to read and I don't really like the wordmark. B's green is better and again it gets points for not needing to be messed with to reverse on a helmet properly.

New York - D needs some execution and F seems uninspired. I'm not super sold on E's concept and A is a touch basic, in my opinion. I really like C's idea of a Chinese-inspired identity, but the wordmark is not good. B's "emperor penguin" idea is also awesome.

Philadelphia - I'll be honest, I didn't like any of the three logos presented. A's "fist in P" doesn't appeal to me, since I wanted a Rocky/boxing style identity. I like C's colors, but B got the nod because of the wordmark.

Toronto - Again, this one wasn't as strong as previous cities. B is hard to read as a beaver immediately, A is a little basic and I think it would work well as a secondary, and C is a clean, if slightly bland, take on the "angry animal football logo".

Overall I'm a little down on this group. There are some really good ones in here, but not as many of them "clicked" with me as some previous groups have.

Board footera