Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2020 11:47 am  #1321

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

We're 5 years from the NHL mandating helmets, how does the MAHL look in regards to helmets?

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/28/2020 3:49 pm  #1322

Dan O'Mac wrote:

We're 5 years from the NHL mandating helmets, how does the MAHL look in regards to helmets?

Well Masterton died in MN in 68, so I'm kinda surprised the MAHL didn't make them mandatory then

4/28/2020 7:41 pm  #1323

Dan O'Mac wrote:

sportsfan7 wrote:

Well Masterton died in MN in 68, so I'm kinda surprised the MAHL didn't make them mandatory then

My thinking was that since this is an amateur league and all the players had to buy their own equipment and such that it would take a bit for the league to mandate it, some players have been wearing helmets based on their own wants, but the vast majority still don't. 

I expect the league to make a push for it in the next couple years though as it becomes a bigger deal with things like the NHL mandating it.6.9.1

4/28/2020 7:56 pm  #1324

1974 Kellogg Cup Final

1st Period
BEM - 3
WBL - 0

The puck dropped for the Kellogg Cup Final in Met Center. The Blue Ox won the draw, going d to d and up ice into the Braves zone. The center carried it into the high slot and ripped a shot high blocker side that rang off the pipe and in. Half of the arena lost their minds, the other half was trying to figure out what just happened. Before they could come to grips with the goal 6 seconds into the game, the Babes went in on offense right after. A winger muscled his way into the slot where he dished a pass to his center who one timed a blast into the top corner, adding to their lead still less than a minute into the game. Things began to get out of control when a White Bear pass was blocked and picked up by the Ox who head manned a teammate on a breakaway to extend their lead to 3.

2nd Period
BEM - 3
WBL - 1

After a disastrous first, the Braves managed to collect themselves and regroup in the second, outshooting Bemidji 11-8 and finding themselves on the scoreboard on a rocket from the point.

3rd Period
BEM - 4
WBL - 2

Bemidji came out in the third looking like the better team once again, pushing the tempo for the opening minutes but coming up just short. It wasn't until White Bear got called for slashing that the Blue Ox finally got back on the scoreboard, setting up an easy tap in on the corner of the crease to give themselves a 4-1 lead. The Braves became recklessly aggressive in the final 5 minutes or so, getting some chances, but also allowing chances against which were all luckily stopped by the Braves goalkeeper. The Braves put a shot on net with 3 minutes left and put home the rebound to pull within two, but that would be all they could muster as the horn sounded and Bemidji swarmed over the boards in celebration. The Bemidji Blue Ox are your 1974 Kellogg Cup Champions, this is the Babes first Kellogg Cup in their 35 year history.

The Tschida Trophy was awarded to Edina's Cole Nanne for his incredible season with the Cake Eaters, leading them in goals and taking them to a West Metro Championship and a Semi Final appearance in the Super Series. This is his first time recieving the award, joining teammate Ben Hankinson who has 2 of his own.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

4/28/2020 9:27 pm  #1325

So the MAHL has the Tschida Trophy, does each league have it's own top player award as well (not that we need to know who wins them or even what they're named)?

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/28/2020 9:31 pm  #1326

WAY TO GO BABES!!!!!  What an EXTRAORDINARY year it's been for 'em, becoming only the seventh team ever (and the first team in 36 years-since the '38 Thunder Bay Giants) to win their first league title and their first Kellogg Cup in the same season, and the first team to ever win their first league title, reach their first Super Series and win their first Kellogg Cup in the same sesaon!  Let's hope this is the beginning of a dynasty...savor this moment, Babes fans!

In major hockey news:

NHL: The Philadelphia Flyers won the Stanley Cup this year, making the "Broad Street Bullies" as they're known the first of the expansion teams to win the Cup. 

In the coming 1974-75 season, the Washington Capitals and Kansas City Scouts will join the NHL, inspiring a massive realignment into two conferences with two divisions each, the Prince of Wales Conference (with the Adams and Norris Divisions) and the Clarence Campbell Conference (with the Patrick and Smythe Divisions).

WHA: The Houston Aeros won the second Avco Cup this year, led by the legendary Gordie Howe, who came out of retirement to play alongside his two sons Mark and Matty.  Bolstered by Mr. Hockey's 100-point season, the Aeros finished atop the regular season standings, then swept the Winnipeg Jets, beat the Minnesota Fighting Saints (4-2) and finally swept the Chicago Cougars to win the Cup.  (Speaking of the Fighting Saints, they hosted the 1974 WHA All-Star Game at the St. Paul Civic Center, drawing more and more eyes on their team and their lovely new arena).

The WHA will be expanding by two teams in 1974-75, adding the Indianapolis Racers and the Phoenix Roadrunners.  The former New York Raiders/New York Golden Blades/Jersey Knights are moving to Southern California to become the San Diego Mariners, with SoCal's previous team, the Los Angeles Sharks, moving to Detroit to play as the Michigan Stags (but later in the season they will move again to Maryland to play as the Baltimore Blades).  In addition, the New England Whalers are moving south, from Boston to Hartford.  To accomodate these changes, the WHA has realigned, adding a Canadian Division in addition to their East and West Divisions.

All in all, there will be 32 major pro hockey teams in North America this year (a number which will not be equaled again until 2021, when Seattle's NHL team begins play).

This has been "In Major Hockey News" for this year...I'm Michael Burmy, bidding you good night, and looking forward to the offseason! (Make it Four, perhaps?  I'm not in any rush this time...but I'll be ready when it happens)

4/28/2020 10:57 pm  #1327

Congrats Bemidji Blue Ox you guys deserve it!

4/28/2020 10:57 pm  #1328

Dang it... Bummer Edina couldn’t pull it off! With a dynamic duo like Nanne and Hankinson, I have no doubt the Cake Eaters will be a top contender again next season. Hopefully they can get over the hump and “take the cake”.

Congrats to the Blue Ox on a fantastic season and first championship. Well deserved!

4/29/2020 1:14 pm  #1329

The blue team curse has begun once again! I will now root for ANY* teams that dont wear blue in the playoffs

*-excluding Edina

4/29/2020 4:31 pm  #1330

Dan O'Mac wrote:

So the MAHL has the Tschida Trophy, does each league have it's own top player award as well (not that we need to know who wins them or even what they're named)?

I don't personally keep track of play of the year for each league, but I could see there being one for each that just goes unmentioned similar to the All-Star game which still happens every year without me mentioning it.

Last edited by Section30 (4/29/2020 4:32 pm)

Board footera