Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2019 9:40 am  #1

North American Markball League: INDEFINITE HIATUS

Hey y'all, I'm the same NoE38 from the CCSLC, and I'm back with Markball!

Note: This series will also be continued on my markball blog! you can check it out at namarkball. blogspot. com. (can't include a link yet since I don't have sufficient posts)

Now, here's a refresher for you guys, just so I can get things rolling again! 

Markball (a fictional sport inspired by Australian Rules Football) is a full contact sport played on a rectangular field with round ends by teams of 15 people. The goal like it is in most sports, to score more points than the other team. To score, a player must kick or hit an oval ball (which is around the size of a Size 1 soccer ball) into a closed net which is 9 meters tall by 5 meters wide. Goals are worth 4 points. There are two posts flanking the goal where if the ball goes between one of them and a goal post, the player has scored a point, which is worth one point. 

The Field
The field is usually 153 m long and 100m wide (502 x 328 ft), so quite larger than a football field. 

Here are the different markings on the field and what they mean. 

Penalty Arc: An arc that stretches 30 meters away from the net. Any fouls committed by a defensive player in the arc will result in a penalty kick for the offense. 

Goal Square: Where kickoffs after single points take place by the team that got scored on. 

Outer Circle: Main area where jump-ball takes place, only the two players competing for the ball are allowed to be in the area at the time of the jump-ball. 

The Ball
The ball is oval-shaped, and much smaller than a football or rugby ball, with a long diameter of 14.8 cm (5.8 inches) and a short diameter of 11.9 cm (4.7 inches) 

The Net
The net consists of one main "net" and two outside posts. The main net has a width of 5 m (16 ft) and a height of 9 m (29.6 ft). This makes scoring fairly easy. the two outer posts are 3.2 m away from the main net (10.5 ft). Because of the huge net, it isn't uncommon for goalies to rush way out to attacking players to block their shots. In the net is a silhouette of a 6 ft player if he was standing directly on the goal line. 

Gameplay 
Play begins when one player from each team take part in a jump-ball. Players then can run up to 10 meters with the ball, then either pass the ball or bounce it every 3 steps. If the ball goes out of bounds on the sides, play resumes with a kick-in, if it goes out of bounds on the ends, then similar to soccer, either a goal or corner kick is taken. If a player is fouled outside the arc, then a free kick is awarded. A player cannot score from a free kick. If a player is fouled inside the arc, then a penalty kick is awarded and a player can try and score. Players can pass by either punting the ball to a teammate or by hitting it with an open hand. There are goalkeepers in Markball, as opposed to none in Aussie Rules. 

Positions
There are 4 main positions in Markball, and 10 sub-positions: Forwards (Red): 

• Full Forward (FF): A team's main scorer. Usually very fast and have lethal shots.
  • Wing Forwards (WF): Two players that attack from the two sides of the field. Usually have accurate kicks and crosses.
  • Flanks (F): A team's "garbagemen" who usually kick long shots and clean up mistakes made by the other forwards.

Followers/Midfielders (Purple): 

• Rover (R): The workhorse on the team, who patrols both ends of the field to contribute in any way. Almost always have insane stamina.
  • Wings (W): Two players to play mainly along the edge of the field, helping to stop rushes and create chances.
  • Center (C): The player that does the jump-ball. Besides that, they are mainly a central midfielder.

Defenders (Light Blue): 

• Wingbacks (WB): A team's first line of defense, Usually are fast so they can quickly start counter-attacks.
  • Centerback (CB): Usually a team's best defender and leader at the back, they are usually matched up against full-forwards.
  • Fullbacks (FB): The last line of defense before the goalie, usually are big, strong players.

Goalkeeper (Yellow): 

• Goalkeeper (GK): The player who attempts to save all the shots, always incredibly athletic, usually tall.

Other Rules  

• Goalies are not allowed to catch a shot, the ball must have hit the goalie and the field before they can pick it up.
  • Offside is called if an attacking player enters the arc before the ball when the attacking team has possession.
  • If a member of the defending team kicks or hits the ball out of play in the arc, a corner kick is awarded.
  • If the ball goes out of bounds, play commences with a player kicking the ball in.
  • Players can only pass by punting the ball, or hitting the ball with their palm.

Now that we've got the basics of markball down, here's how the league, the NAML, was formed!  

Graham Urquhart was a Scottish-born, Australian raised businessman who had a love for sport. He played newly-created Aussie Rules football, rugby, and cricket in his spare time.  Graham also loved creating ideas for new sports, but nobody seemed to be interested. But then, one day, he came up with an ambitious idea. His idea was that he could create a sport similar to Aussie rules, then go to North America and introduce the sport to them, and create a new pastime. Unfortunately for him, nobody took him seriously so he found himself all alone. He took a big gamble and continued anyway.  After a long, miserable boat ride to London, then another to New York City, he finally found himself where he planned. Wanting to show his new sport off in a smaller city, Graham traveled to Washington D.C, where he offered sessions for the men there to learn this sport. It turned out to be a great success, and in 1879, the world's first ever markball team was created. The game would spread throughout the years, and eventually, in the 1920's, there were regional leagues across both the USA and Canada. 1946, on the 20th anniversary of Graham's death, his son Patrick announced that the following year, the top 6 teams from the Central and East Coast Leagues would form the first major markball league, the North American Markball League, or NAML. The League's logo was unveiled the following month. The logo consists of the league's acronym inside a shield, with four lines at the top symbolising the four posts of the net. There's all the basics of the sport and the league, now I'll ask y'all what you want me to do from here. Since I've simulated every season from 1947 to 1971, I can post each season/playoffs/offseason individually, or would you rather that I just give quick summaries of each season by decade? (Ex. A short paragraph of for each season, complied into a decade megapost) Leave your thoughts on this in the comments below, and I'll start off with that, then continue the history with the 1971 Urquhart Cup Final replay! 

That's all for now, hope you enjoyed the post!

Urquhart Cup History:
1947: Washington 42-35 Philadelphia
1948: Michigan 61-51 Washington
1949: Washington 47-25 St. Louis

1950: Toronto 50-42 Chicago
1951: Michigan 33-32 Chicago
1952: Michigan 32-25 Washington
1953: Chicago 34-33 Michigan
1954: Philadelphia 38-29 Michigan
1955: Boston 28-19 Philadelphia
1956: Chicago 54-22 Montreal
1957: Philadelphia 51-23 Washington
1958: St. Louis 37-25 Montreal
1959: Philadelphia 51-38 Michigan

1960: Philadelphia 31-9 Toronto
1961: Chicago 44-21 Toronto
1962: Chicago 34-25 Boston
1963: Michigan 42-22 Washington
1964: Michigan 51-26 Toronto
1965: Michigan 51-28 Toronto
1966: Michigan 37-33 Philadelphia
1967: Washington 33-31 Chicago
1968: Michigan 31-19 Toronto
1969: Chicago 43-30 Montreal

1970: Minnesota 49-37 Washington
1971: Minnesota 33-33 Philadelphia
1971 Replay: Minnesota 52-49 Philadelphia
1972: Milwaukee 31-30 Montreal
1973: Michigan 46-35 Philadelphia

Last edited by NoE38 (5/28/2020 10:06 am)

5/18/2019 9:45 am  #2

Re: North American Markball League: INDEFINITE HIATUS

I was a lurker on the CCSLC, and I'm so glad to see this be brought back! 

As for images, I'd try uploading them to Imgur and copying the URL (not the BBcode). That might help.

As for the seasons, I'd try and do something between both options. A slightly detailed summary of each season and playoffs, but individual to each post.

Excited to see where this continues!

5/18/2019 9:58 am  #3

You should be able to post images, I don't think I set a limit on that yet. Like CCLXXXVII said you'll have to upload them to a image hosting site and then link them from there.
Glad to see this continue! 

Only the written records of his travels survive.

5/18/2019 8:53 pm  #4

The prosecution is ready to reconvene! Great to see this back! RedfieldNick is back under his rightful ego.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

5/18/2019 9:09 pm  #5

I'm back to ensure the Hounds have proper support

5/19/2019 6:13 am  #6

Darknes wrote:

I'm back to ensure the Hounds have proper support

As am I.  Let's go Hounds!

5/19/2019 8:01 am  #7

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

The prosecution is ready to reconvene! Great to see this back! RedfieldNick is back under his rightful ego.

Oh hey, someone else likes Ace Attorney! Cool!

While I never followed this league on the CCSLC (after a bunch of low-quality threads popped up, I simply decided to only follow the AFA and PHL), I’ll give it a try this time! Will previous history be filled in, or will it just start where it left off?

Check out my Continental Basketball League here!
https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=22

5/19/2019 8:15 am  #8

Magic Dynasty wrote:

While I never followed this league on the CCSLC (after a bunch of low-quality threads popped up, I simply decided to only follow the AFA and PHL), I’ll give it a try this time! Will previous history be filled in, or will it just start where it left off?

I will be doing 4 decade-long megaposts with medium summaries of what happened each year first, then my first full-length post will be the 1971 Urquhart Cup Final Replay.

Last edited by NoE38 (5/19/2019 8:21 am)

5/19/2019 12:38 pm  #9

One last question before I start, for my megaposts, would you guys want to see the graphics with each year's posts, or just the summaries?

5/19/2019 1:06 pm  #10

NoE38 wrote:

One last question before I start, for my megaposts, would you guys want to see the graphics with each year's posts, or just the summaries?

Definitely post the graphics with the summaries.

Board footera