Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2023 2:36 pm  #2881

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

9/20/2023 8:19 pm  #2882

Last edited by Burmy87 (9/20/2023 8:19 pm)

9/20/2023 9:41 pm  #2883

It has been a year!?!?!?!?!?

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

10/01/2023 8:04 pm  #2884

Hey everyone, long time no see! I decided to take a bit of a break from posting in the MAHL for the past couple years really as I had a lot of stuff going on in real life. The MAHL has always been incredibly important to me and I never meant to leave it for as long as I did, but know that I have been working on it despite the lack of posts. Hell, this league did more to help me graduate with a Graphic Design degree from Bemidji State University than anything or anyone ever could. But I have been absent from these threads for a long time now while I took my break from posting. This fictional league and community of fellow sports nerds that like making up their own fictional worlds has been one of the biggest blessings in my life and I have met some of the nicest, most creative people thanks to it. Now that I have finished school and found a great job doing what I love, I have decided now is the perfect time to get back into the groove. My goal is to make at least one post a week and I'll try my best to keep to that so I don't end up going another year without a post lol. Well anyways, the MAHL is back and thank you all for all of the support!

1988/89 Regular Season - North Region

The Moose are still loose in the Iron Range with Grand Rapids claiming back to back IRHL titles in 88 & 89. The Moose are just as much a Cup Contender as ever with many even consider them better than their Cup winning team from two years ago. The Iron Range was an utter bloodbath this season with incredible parity across the league. Tower-Soudan and Virginia come second and third, both making their playoff returns after failing to reach last season as well as sweeping their rivalry series'. Hibbing extends their playoff streak to three years as they manage to hold off a pesky Ely team by one win. The aforementioned Black Bears drew the short straw this year, failing to make the playoffs despite having a very good hockey team. There wasn't much separating Keewatin, Chisholm, Mountain Iron, Eveleth, Babbitt, & Coleraine who made up the middle of the pack. Aurora, Deer River, and Hoyt Lakes were the bottom three, finishing well below .500 on the year.

The Itasca Association runs through Bemidji. Not only are the IHA headquarters in the home of Paul and Babe, but the Bemidji Blue Ox showed they were once again the class of the league and it wasn't really close. Bemidji finished undefeated (though they did finish with 5 ties) on the season. Despite this, analysts are skeptical about whether they really are this good or if they are being propped up by being in a rather weak league? Blackduck built off the success of qualifying for their first playoffs a season ago and came through with their best season in franchise history, finishing in second. It was a fight in the middle of the pack for those final playoff spots with Park Rapids and Detroit Lakes clinching at regular seasons end. Those on the outside looking in include Pelican Rapids, Red Lake, & Wadena. Barnesville did about as well as expected for an expansion team, finishing one spot from the bottom where we have Perham who will likely try to hide in their shells and forget this season as soon as possible, winning an embarrassing 3 games all year.

It's time to party like it's 1954! For the first time in 35 years, the Duluth Hornets have won the Iron Range Hockey League. The Hornets were propelled in large part to their explosive pp unit that led the MAHL in powerplay goals this season with a staggering 53 goals a man up. Superior and the other guys from Duluth finished second and third, both also having very good hockey teams capable of making deep runs this post season. The biggest story of the season in the LSHL has to be Grand Marais who came out of nowhere to finish in the top four and clinch their first playoff birth in 7 years. It was a disappointing season for a couple of Lake Superior blue bloods in Two Harbors and Thunder Bay who both miss out on the playoffs after long streaks, 5 Years for the Wolfpack & 8 years for the Giants. Neebing, Hermantown, & Cloquet all had mediocre seasons but had moments of greatness that offer their fans hope for the future. There really isn't much to say about Silver Bay, Proctor, or Lutsen who were all pretty stinky and never really were in contention for a playoff slot.

Roseau claims their second Northland crown in the past three seasons, their 12th all time. The Stars were once again helped in large part to the intimidating atmosphere created by the Green Army at games played in Roseau. The Stars had a perfect season at home this year, winning every single match inside historic Roseau Memorial Arena. International Falls finishes in second and makes their 4th trip to the playoffs in the last 5 years. Rounding out the top four are the bitter rivals from Winnipeg with the Monarchs coming third and St. James Stags clinching the four spot over another of the Monarchs biggest rivals in Steinbach who finished 5th. Baudette, Fort Frances, & Warroad all had very good hockey teams that just weren't good enough in what is arguably the best league in the MAHL this season. There really were no bad hockey teams in the NLHL this year, but Morden, Winkler, Kenora, & Dryden all finished well outside the playoff hunt and at the bottom of the table.

Grand Forks won a lot of silverware this season. Not only did the Jets sweep their rivalry trophies by taking home both the Giant Fork and the Nodak Cup, but they also finished atop the league to win their 8th Red River Hockey League title. There were a few familiar faces joining Grand Forks in the top four such as the defending league champs from West Fargo and the boys across the river in East Grand Forks in third. There was one new face in the four spot though... well not new, but a face we haven't seen in a while. The Crookston Kings finally broke back into the post season after a 9 year hiatus where they never really even got close, things just finally seemed to click for the Kings this year. Fargo, Thief River Falls, & Moorhead fell just short after coming into the season with playoff aspirations, though they did all have respectable seasons. At the bottom of the league we have Red Lake Falls, Dilworth, & Grafton.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

10/01/2023 8:13 pm  #2885

It's gonna take more than a year long hiatus to stop Grand Rapids because the Moose are still loose!

10/02/2023 3:42 pm  #2886

Please let the train in Thief River stop running into issues, I want another deep run like it’s 1963.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

10/07/2023 10:35 pm  #2887

1988/89 Regular Season - Central Region

Alexandria swapped places with their arch rivals from Fergus Falls to win their first CHA Title along with the Bronze Otter, winning the season series over the second place Cyclones. There was a steep drop off in talent after the top two with Sauk Centre and Morris clinching playoff births despite being average at best in the grand scheme of the MAHL. Benson, Long Prairie, & Breckenridge-Wahpeton round out the table with relatively weak squads.

Maplewood is back on top of the East Metro for the 4th time in the past 5 years after a "disappointing" second place finish a season ago. The Goldies earned the top slot in the league over a couple very good hockey teams from Roseville & White Bear who finished second and third respectively. The final playoff spot was up for grabs until the very last game of the regular season with Mahtomedi punching their ticket to their first ever playoffs while pushing out the defending EMHL champs from Little Canada. Stillwater also was in the fight for that four slot for most of the season, but injuries did them in and they fell 4 games out by seasons end. North St. Paul & Woodbury finished in the basement, though neither team was really that bad.

Sauk Rapids are your 1989 Granite Hockey League champions, clinching their 4th league title in the past 6 years. The defending Kellogg Cup champs from St. Cloud took second and finished with a few more losses than last year, but they are still a very good hockey team and with their experience last year, could be poised for a deep playoff run. Guess who's back? After a 5 year hiatus the Brainerd Lumberjacks will be playing post season hockey. (The last 5 years are the only years the Jacks have missed the playoffs since the franchise began in 1956.) Finishing in the four spot and making their post season debut this offseason are the Sartell Spiders who beat out the competition in a very even and competitive league. There were a few teams on the outside looking in that could be argued as being "playoff caliber" teams, such as Little Falls, Mora, & the St. Cloud Storm. St. Joseph and Princeton had years to forget. Cold Spring finished with only 3 wins in their inaugural campaign, finishing in last as everyone expected coming in.

The winningest team in North Metro history adds to their record, winning their 5th NMHL crown in team history and extending their playoff streak to 14 years. The rest of the top four contained two other familiar faces in second and third with Osseo and Coon Rapids, along with a first timer in Ramsey. The Rams came out of nowhere to clinch their first ever playoff birth after finishing either in 8th or 9th in all six of their previous seasons. Brooklyn Park was the first team out with nobody but themselves to blame, losing 9 of their last 15 to fall from 3rd to where they finished in 5th. Plymouth, Brooklyn Center, & Elk River also had good squads that just couldn't put it all together and finish at the top of the league, settling around the middle of the pack. There weren't any bottom feeders per se, but there was a group of teams that finished a bit below the others. Maple Grove, Champlin, Buffalo, & Dayton were those teams.

Lino Lakes took last year personally and made it a point this offseason that they were going to make the changes necessary to get back into the playoffs after missing for the first time in franchise history last year, and boy did they. The Herons were the class of the league, jumping from 5th to 1st in one year to clinch their second NEHA title in team history. Blaine dropped one spot but the Spartans look just as good as their title team from a year ago. Ham Lake and East Bethel both return to the playoffs after falling out last year, finishing 3rd and 4th respectively. Columbia Heights was one of the teams that fell outside of the top four with the other guys getting back in, finishing in the first spot out in 5th. Shoreview was middle of the pack and ended in 6th, but for the Pike, this season was a great success. For the first time EVER, the Shoreview Pike finished ahead of their arena-mates and arch rivals, Mounds View, who suffered a monumental fall from grace this season, finishing in 7th and missing the playoffs for the first time in 7 years. The rest of the league was more or less equal, just with slightly different records. The bottom of the table reads New Brighton, Fridley, Arden Hills, Spring Lake Park, & finally North Oaks.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

10/08/2023 1:06 pm  #2888

Little Canada missed the playoffs? That sucks. At least a few teams from actual Canada made it.

10/08/2023 4:12 pm  #2889

So with the changes in your life in general over the last year, will the playoffs still be streamed on Twitch? Because I'm here for that sweet MAHLscot action to go with the hockey.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

10/09/2023 4:06 pm  #2890

Dan O'Mac wrote:

So with the changes in your life in general over the last year, will the playoffs still be streamed on Twitch? Because I'm here for that sweet MAHLscot action to go with the hockey.

Oh you betcha, I'm really excited to get back into live streaming the Super Series!

Board footera