Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2023 7:04 am  #2481

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

Personally, I'm fine about not needing to have the ethnicities listed in the scouting reports.  I can't say I've never brought it up with a prospect before, (forget who it was) so it wouldn't bother me at all if we did include this, just don't think we necessarily HAVE to in order to continue enjoying this story.

6/30/2023 9:57 am  #2482

Stickman wrote:

Personally, I'm fine about not needing to have the ethnicities listed in the scouting reports.  I can't say I've never brought it up with a prospect before, (forget who it was) so it wouldn't bother me at all if we did include this, just don't think we necessarily HAVE to in order to continue enjoying this story.

Yea, I think I'm on the same page. I have never really felt the need to include it. If a character's ethnicity is important to the character, then people have specified that to me. I think overall, I think I like leaving it up to interpretation, because as you say, it doesn't change the enjoyment, and it doesn't change who the characters are in a very inclusive league. I at least wanted to ask the community for their thoughts, and if that was something I should/could add.

6/30/2023 4:53 pm  #2483

I don't think ethnicity is needed. most of the names you can tell if they are black, Asian, European, or any other.

7/08/2023 4:26 pm  #2484

1971 Re-Sign Stage

BIG NAME QBs LOCK UP BIG CONTRACTS
Rumours were swirling around QB Nathaniel Braddock on whether he would remain in Boston after the team's 4th playoff miss in 5 seasons. However, the veteran QB would give it one more shot with the Independents, inking a 2-year deal worth $92,000 over two seasons. The pressure will be on the Independents to make the most of the next two seasons. 

Elsewhere, the Royals would commit $202,000 to QB Drake Young in a 5-year deal that sets up the UHamilton alumni as the team’s franchise cornerstone. The Royals have been fortunate enough to not have to pay very high for QBs in recent years following the retirement of QB Jean Matieau, but the bill came due at some point and the team is happy to keep building around Young. 

Following their 3rd championship, the Raiders finally committed to QB Ivan Sanchez, signing the young QB to a 3-year deal worth $105,000. The Mariners and Rangers are both bringing back their veteran QBs on 1-year deals with Lyle Painter signing on for $30,000 and Blair Collins at $35,500. 

Finally, the Wolves would ink up QB Kevin Westwood to a big deal that keeps him with the team over the next 4-years at $45,000 a season ($180,000 in total). 

TRACY HEADED TO MARKET DESPITE CHANGE AT GM
The hiring of GM Reginald McMahon may have saved the Steelheads as a team. It was expected that the team could lose a lot of the young talent that they had on the roster with several key pieces due for an extension. However, with McMahon now at the helm, players appear to be ready to get back on the horse in Toronto. WR Sterling Underhill inked a 2-year extension, worth $60,000 in total. OL Alan Farquharson also returned for a pair of seasons, as did LB Lincoln Webster. The biggest name to return was former 1st overall pick, LB Judge Barrett, who inked a 3-year deal worth $112,500. However, they were still unable to get Max Tracy to change his mind about his decision to go elsewhere. Tracy did have a little interest initially in a return, he ultimately was already settled on moving on, so he continued with his original plan. 

Overall, there are going to be many RBs available this offseason. Fellow MVP winner, RB Jimmy Golden will also be moving on from Buffalo after they extended RB Jasper Dickerson. RB Hugo Hughes did not come to an agreement with Minnesota. Indiana is wiping their backfield clean by letting go of both RB Tresean Jones and RB Shannon West. RB George Seahorse and RB Théodore Lemieux will also be available for teams to target. 

VETS LOOKING TO WIN
RB Max Tracy wasn’t the only veteran looking to take a stab at a McCallister Cup. With the struggles in Montreal continuing into a new regime, 1967 MVP, S Garet deVale and DL Lucas Kipling are hitting free agency and looking for an opportunity to win. Those two should make a strong impact for any team looking to go all-in. They will also be joined by OL Emil Jennings out of London and DB Oliver Langstrom from Toronto, as well as DB Cameron Taylor and OL Taylor Forbes. 

CLEAN SLATE AT QB FOR THE TIGERS
After electing to hold onto their current QB room of Emmitt Jackson, Magnus Torrensen, and Gilles Doucet last season and passing on a QB in the draft, the Tigers have elected to start fresh by releasing all 3 QBs this season. Torrensen struggled in his 5 starts at the beginning of the season, Jackson struggled to stay healthy all year, and Doucet played pretty well all things considered, but was never looked at as a franchise option long-term. Many expect the Tigers will look at QB with the 2nd overall pick in the 1971 draft, but they may also be targeting some of the top QB options in free agency to gain some stability in the short term.

Top 25 Free Agents
1 - RB Max Tracy - TOR
2 - S Garet deVale - MTL
3 - RB Jimmy Golden - BUF
4 - OL Emil Jennings - LDN
5 - DB Oliver Langstrom - TOR
6 - DL Lucas Kipling - MTL
7 - OL Shane Willis - MTL
8 - QB David Simmons - LI
9 - DB Lawrence Ralph - BOS
10 - QB Tyrion Gainsborough - OTT
11 - QB Landon Ross - PRO
12 - DB Corey Ross - MIN
13 - S Mathieu Cazenave - BUF
14 - OL Taylor Forbes - LOU
15 - OL Clifford Pratt - HFX
16 - WR Alex Browne Sr. - EDM
17 - RB Shannon West - IND
18 - WR Edward Webb - PRO
19 - QB Emmitt Jackson - LDN
20 - RB Hugo Hughes - MIN
21 - S Wesley Jones - BUF
22 - RB George Seahorse - PRO
23 - DB Cameron Taylor - IND
24 - S Jay Shepherd - HFX
25 - LB Brian O’Flaherty - LOU

Also, for those who are interested, here is a full list of extensions and players being released. I wanted to keep track better myself and I thought maybe some would be interested in seeing what some of their players may be up to. If your player is not listed, that simply means they are already locked into a contract.
NAAF FREE AGENCY

7/09/2023 6:36 pm  #2485

Good to see Sterling Underhill get an extension. I know he had a good season in 1970, so here is hoping he can improve on last season.

7/09/2023 8:57 pm  #2486

Kinda surprised that Tracy still decided to leave. If I’m   Toronto, I take that as kind of a slap in the face, they made the change he wanted and he still left… I’d say maybe HFX could pick him up, but what would keep him from repeating those antics somewhere else…..

7/09/2023 10:49 pm  #2487

RaysUp wrote:

Kinda surprised that Tracy still decided to leave. If I’m Toronto, I take that as kind of a slap in the face, they made the change he wanted and he still left… I’d say maybe HFX could pick him up, but what would keep him from repeating those antics somewhere else…..

Yea, the situation was more of Tracy wanting to move on and compete with his prime coming to a close. However, he still had a good relationship with Jerry Anderson, the owner, and wanted to be honest about why he was deciding to leave. It was a wake up call for Anderson, who made the move to hire McMahon which was THE best move he could have made, but Tracy still wanted to contend for a cup and not go through what looked like a potentially lengthy rebuild. So, it wasn't like Tracy was like "If you fire the GM, I'll stay or might stay.", more of a "Hey, I am going to move on to a new team, but this is why I am leaving.", hence leading to Anderson's decision to change the GM. 

As for Halifax, I do think a couple of factors works against them. A) They are kind of an aging team that isn't getting closer to a Cup, and B) they are not looking to spend big, being in a smaller market with less revenue coming in, and Tracy very well could be in the realm of the highest paid RB in the league after this is all said and done. 

7/09/2023 10:53 pm  #2488

TheEnigmaticOne wrote:

Good to see Sterling Underhill get an extension. I know he had a good season in 1970, so here is hoping he can improve on last season.

Underhill had a fine season last year, nothing groundbreaking, but the Steelheads are likely going to see a big shift to the passing game with Tracy now gone, so the Steelheads invested in Underhill to be the headliner in the new offence.

7/10/2023 3:37 am  #2489

Wallflower wrote:

TheEnigmaticOne wrote:

Underhill had a fine season last year, nothing groundbreaking, but the Steelheads are likely going to see a big shift to the passing game with Tracy now gone, so the Steelheads invested in Underhill to be the headliner in the new offence.

Cool, appreciate the info.

7/13/2023 6:01 pm  #2490

Just another question related to the Steelheads, what is the QB situation in Toronto? IIRC Todd Baker retired, so what's the depth chart like currently? Are they looking to draft a quarterback?

Board footera