Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2023 4:26 pm  #41

Re: Eastern Canada Hockey Organization

1947 ECHO Rookie Recruitment

The Montreal Beavers have strengthened their offensive lineup by adding skilled winger John Peters and talented centers Henry Potvin and Robert Johnston.

The Montréal Métros have brought in a rookie defenseman in Gabriel Bolduc and skilled wingers Georges Héroux and Benoit Archambault to bolster their offence.

The Ottawa Knights have added to their defence by promoting Gerald Mulder and Jay Clark. They have also improved their offence with the addition of winger Gary Levesque.

Quebec has signed up three centers - Andy Boudreau, James Mulder, and Edward Gagnon, adding depth to their attack.

Charlottetown has made notable additions to their roster with winger Jean-Marie Ryan, goaltender Stanley Fraser, and center Albert Leclerc

Halifax has recruited strong winger Erik Smith and defensemen Bryan Jack-Kurdyla and William Paquette

Moncton has focused on their defence, bringing in skilled defenseman Paul Girard. They have also added promising wingers Mark Ndahiro and Steve Wetherell to their developing offence.

Lastly, Saint John has promoted a young but talented center in Glen Ouellette while adding wingers Robert Gill and Mitchell Noel to their attack. 

Up Next: 1947 ECHO Re-sign Phase

Last edited by Kingsfan11 (6/25/2023 4:33 pm)

6/27/2023 4:36 pm  #42

1947 ECHO Re-sign Phase

The Beavers announced they would offer a new 3-year contract to their talented winger, Victor Noel

Meanwhile, the Métros have also been busy with contract negotiations, as they re-signed winger Gaëtan Patenaude to a new 4-year deal worth 253k annually. In addition, the team has decided to re-sign center Yvan Roy to a deal worth 63k/year until 1950, as well as winger Marc-Antoine Lacroix until 1951.

Over in Ottawa, the Knights secured the services of the 1947 DPOY, David Demers, by offering him a lucrative 5-year extension worth 367k/year. 

Meanwhile, Quebec has been busy re-signing some key players, including defenseman Richard Pereira, who will stay with the Reds under a deal worth 64k annually until 1951. Winger Andrew Powell will also sign a 3-year extension to remain with the team.

Charlottetown has been working hard to retain their star players, including goaltender Peter Chiasson, who will sign a new contract worth 801k annually until 1952. The Monarchs have also decided to re-sign defenseman Dennis Pellerin to a contract worth 820k/year until 1952 and winger Ken Chang, who will stay with Charlottetown under a 97k/year deal until 1951. Finally, the Monarchs decided to bring back winger Kain Marshall until 1950.

Halifax has also been busy with contract negotiations, as they re-signed goalie Tristan Campbell to a 4-year contract extension worth 350k/year. Winger Jamie MacKenzie will be returned on a 3-year deal worth 86k annually. The Highlanders have also secured the services of the 1946 DFOY, Gavin Scott, by signing him to a 4-year extension worth 119k annually. Finally, winger Steven Martin will be re-signed to a deal worth 70k annually until 1950.

Finally, Moncton has decided to only offer a new contract to one player, defenseman Christian Tang, who will be signing a 4-year extension worth 98k annually. 

Top 5 Free Agents
1. G Alex Davis, QUE
2. D Kevin McMillan, OTT
3. C Jermaine Thompson, CHA
4. C Michael Fraser, HFX
5. D Jayden Ross, HFX

Last edited by Kingsfan11 (6/27/2023 7:02 pm)

6/28/2023 2:19 pm  #43

1947 ECHO Free Agency

In Montreal, the Beavers signed former Halifax center Michael Fraser for a five-year contract that would pay him 288k annually.

The Métros would shock their in-city rivals and the league by signing star Anglophone defenseman Kevin McMillan for a contract worth 614k annually until 1952.

Ottawa signed Kevin Kathalay, a former defenseman for Charlottetown, to a four-year contract worth $91,000 per year.

Meanwhile, in Quebec, former Beavers goalie Patrick Bell signed on with the Reds for a salary of 211k annually until 1951. The Reds also secured the services of Gary Fleming, a former Moncton winger, on a three-year deal, and Étienne Tremblay, a former Métros defenseman, for a contract worth 210k annually until 1951. Finally, a former Saint John winger, John Bender, signed a 3-year deal with the Reds.

Charlottetown signed Jayden Ross, a former Halifax winger, to a 120k/year deal until 1951.

Halifax brought in star goaltender and top free agent Alex Davis on a 676k/year contract until 1952. The Highlanders also secured the services of Jermaine Thompson, a former Charlottetown center, on a 5-year deal worth 400k annually, Sean Fontana, a former Quebec center, on a 4-year deal worth 249k annually, and David Grenier, a former Quebec defenseman, on a 3-year deal worth 78k annually.

Moncton also made some key moves, re-signing goaltender Matthew Phillips on a 4-year deal after letting him test free agency and signing Benjamin Bernier, a former Métros goalie, on a 2-year deal to give Phillips some help in net. The Generals also re-signed defenseman John Taylor on a 4-year deal and secured the services of William Johnson, a former Charlottetown center, on a 4-year deal worth 68k annually.

Finally, in Saint John, the Admirals brought in Roy Milson, a former Quebec winger, on a 3-year deal worth 67k annually while re-signing defenseman Marvin Harvey on a 3-year deal worth 83k per year. The Admirals also secured the services of Lucien Dubois, a former Métros defenseman, on a 4-year deal worth 124k annually, and Jean-Francois Doyle, a former Ottawa defenseman, on a 3-year deal.

Top 5 Free Agents 
1. G Alex Davis, QUE -> HFX
2. D Kevin McMillan, OTT -> MTM
3. C Jermaine Thompson, CHA -> HFX
4. C Michael Fraser, HFX -> MTB
5. D Jayden Ross, HFX -> CHA

6/29/2023 12:09 pm  #44

Kingsfan11 wrote:

1947 ECHO Offseason

Design Changes
Quebec Reds

The Reds have revealed their new logo, featuring a red Q with a white fleur-de-lis on top of it. The rationale behind the updated design is to promote unity between the French and English communities in the city by incorporating the French symbol, the Fleur-de-lis, for a team with an English name.

On both sets, the Reds have replaced the diagonal text with their new logo (which is colour swapped on the home set) and widened the hem stripe and also changed the number font.

C&C is appreciated, as always.

I like the new logo as a primary mark but I did really enjoy the diagonal text on their jerseys. Looked very vintage with the thin line striping they use. The only other feedback I have would be to make the hem stripe on their jerseys the same width as the arm stripes. I know filling that space makes sense but I always favor stripe consistency throughout uniforms.

6/29/2023 6:52 pm  #45

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I like the new logo as a primary mark but I did really enjoy the diagonal text on their jerseys. Looked very vintage with the thin line striping they use. The only other feedback I have would be to make the hem stripe on their jerseys the same width as the arm stripes. I know filling that space makes sense but I always favor stripe consistency throughout uniforms.

I think a double stripe at the hem could solve both spacing and consistency

6/30/2023 10:44 am  #46

These player names are extremely anachronistic. Why is there a player named Jayden in the 1940s? I don't want to criticize too harshly because it's great and it especially looks great, but Jayden Ross playing in the 1940s just doesn't look right. There are others too, like Sean, but Jayden is the most egregious. Jermaine too.

6/30/2023 4:26 pm  #47

1947/48 Preseason Power Rankings

Bernard King has released his highly anticipated power rankings for the upcoming ECHO season.

Forwards
1. Montréal Métros
2. Moncton
3. Ottawa
4. Halifax
5. Charlottetown
6. Montreal Beavers
7. Saint John
8. Quebec

Defence
1. Charlottetown
2. Saint John
3. Montréal Métros
4. Montreal Beavers
5. Quebec
6. Halifax
7. Ottawa
8. Moncton

Goaltending
1. Halifax
2. Charlottetown
3. Quebec
4. Saint John
5. Montréal Métros
6. Montreal Beavers
7. Moncton
8. Ottawa

Overall
1. Halifax
2. Montréal Métros
3. Charlottetown
4. Saint John
5. Moncton 
6. Montreal Beavers
7. Ottawa
8. Quebec

Top 10 Players
1. Alex Davis (G, HFX)
2. Robert Davis (C, STJ)
3. Jacques Tremblay (C, CHA)
4. Joe Djogo (W, OTT)
5. Allan Wilson (C, MON)
6. Kenneth Wright (D, STJ)
7. Evan James (D, QUE)
8. Kevin McMillan (D, MTM)
9. Bob Dezouvre (D, STJ)
10. Roy Davies (W, QUE)

Top 5 Rookies
1. Henry Potvin (C, MTB)
2. John Peters (W, MTB)
3. Robert Gill (W, STJ)
4. Erik Smith (W, HFX)
5. Georges Héroux (W, MTM)

6/30/2023 4:31 pm  #48

I remember you mentioning that the owner of the Montreal Metros is a Montreal Canadiens fan, so the question is, is the ECHO a semi pro league or a competitor to the NHL? I apologize if you already went over this, but it was something I have been wondering for awhile.

6/30/2023 8:13 pm  #49

GregTheWolf24 wrote:

These player names are extremely anachronistic. Why is there a player named Jayden in the 1940s? I don't want to criticize too harshly because it's great and it especially looks great, but Jayden Ross playing in the 1940s just doesn't look right. There are others too, like Sean, but Jayden is the most egregious. Jermaine too.

These names were not chosen by me, they were generated by the simulation engine I use, but I will make sure that from now on, players that will enter the league will have period-appropriate names. The ones that are there right now, I can't change due to the players having already played in the ECHO.

Slapshot Kirby wrote:

I remember you mentioning that the owner of the Montreal Metros is a Montreal Canadiens fan, so the question is, is the ECHO a semi pro league or a competitor to the NHL? I apologize if you already went over this, but it was something I have been wondering for awhile.

The ECHO was never meant to be a competitor to the NHL. As it stands right now, it is a standalone semi-pro league. Its status might change in the future (or not, depending on what my vision for the ECHO happens to be at that time)

Last edited by Kingsfan11 (6/30/2023 8:39 pm)

7/02/2023 6:01 pm  #50

1947/48 ECHO Regular Season

The St. Lawrence Division witnessed a significant shift in the standings as the Montreal Beavers claimed the divisional title and secured the coveted home advantage for the semi-finals. However, the order of the remaining three teams remained uncertain until the very last day of the regular season. The stakes were high heading into the last day of the regular season, with Quebec leading the pack with 51 points, followed closely by the Métros and Ottawa with 50 points each. All the matches scheduled for the day were interdivisional, with Quebec playing Saint John, the Métros battling Charlottetown, and Ottawa hosting Halifax. The Métros were the first to be eliminated when they suffered a crushing 5-1 loss at the hands of the Monarchs. Even after Quebec suffered a horrible 5-1 loss at the hands of the lowly Admirals, the Reds still had a chance to make the playoffs; they needed Ottawa to lose against Halifax. Unfortunately for the Reds, fate had other plans, and the Knights emerged victorious with a nail-biting 1-0 win over Halifax, thanks to a late 3rd-period goal from Joe Djogo. With this win, Ottawa secured their spot in the playoffs, leaving Quebec to rue their missed opportunity.

In the Maritimes division, the playoff picture was decided quickly, with Charlottetown and Halifax clinching the two playoff spots, and both teams anticipate what will surely be a great rematch of last year's first-round series. Unfortunately, Moncton finds itself on the outside looking in and missing out on the playoffs yet again. The team's hopes were dashed by injuries and an aging roster that struggled to keep pace with the competition. However, the greatest disappointment was reserved for Saint John, who had a season marred by injuries and poor performances from key players such as David Howard and ultimately finished at the bottom of the division.

The playoffs will follow the usual format, with the semifinals being Best of 3 and the Sound Cup Final being Best of 5.

Last edited by Kingsfan11 (7/03/2023 2:57 pm)

Board footera