Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/27/2022 7:22 pm  #2271

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

3 - Long Island Raiders

The Raiders continued to be one of the top teams in the NAAF to start the decade with their 3rd straight West Division title. Unfortunately, they would fall short in overtime to the Tigers in the West Division Final. After the strong stretch, the Raiders fell into a rough patch that saw the team go 6-18 over the next two seasons. Fans called on a change, and Owner/GM Wayne Tillman complied by trading away their former 1st overall pick, QB Lyle Painter, and bringing in QB Stanley Troyer. The Raiders showed improvement with a 5-7 season before they made the move over to the East Division.  In their new division, the Raiders quickly rose back to dominance. They would go on a 4-year run, which saw the team win the East Division 3 times and make the McCallister Cup 3 times as well. They would earn their second title in the NAAF with a win over the Louisville Thunder in 1965. In the last couple of seasons, the Raiders have slowly fallen back down to Earth with the defence aging and QB Stanley Troyer moving on.

The Raiders were one of the most consistent teams throughout the bulk of the decade. Unfortunately, their strongest years also coincided with Buffalo’s strongest years where they won 3 of 4, the Raiders being the only other team to win in those 4 seasons. The defence was easily the team’s biggest strength as they had the lowest point allowed per game of the decade with 19.98. 

All-Decade Team

While the defence was the key to a lot of the Raiders’ success, you cannot deny that one of the biggest stars was their running back in Dareion Fields, who has been one of the league’s best RBs throughout the last decade. He’s joined by another player that was one of the best at his position in K Henderson Schumacher. Shifting over to that sturdy defence, DB Rutherford Winters joins the group as a stellar lockdown corner. Next to him is the 1965 and 1967 Defensive Player of the Year, LB William Washington II. On the D-line, a pair of players make it with the former Captain DL Vernon Spears and the powerful DL Pionk Bjorkkstand. DB Alexander Bradley rounds out the defensive group, being the only player to make 2 different All-Decade teams after he was an All-Star in 3 of the 4 seasons he spent with the Raiders. The rest of the offensive talent is headlined by 7-time All-Stars OL Elliot Winterbottom, who is then accompanied by QB Stanley Troyer who maned the ship through the best years of the decade and a star WR in Casey Coleman, who managed to make an impact despite the run-heavy offence.

Last edited by Wallflower (12/27/2022 10:46 pm)

12/28/2022 5:48 pm  #2272

2 - London Tigers

The 1960s started with the Tigers at the top of the league as they would get back to their second straight McCallister Cup in 1960, and get their first title with a revenge win over the Royals, who had beaten them in the previous McCallister Cup. The next season, they made their 3rd appearance in a row but fell to the Independents. While they missed out on the McCallister Cup in 1962, they would make a return to the game in 1963, which resulted in a 34-31 win over the Gold Stars and their second championship. Between 1961 and 1963, the Tigers would top the West Division, joining the Raiders as the only teams to win a division in 3 straight seasons. They also had 3 MVPs between 1960 and 1963 with WR Max Sutton winning in 1960, and QB Riley Kiernan winning in 61 and 63. After the height of their success, the Tigers slowly slipped into being a mid-tier team hovering around .500 for most of the decade. They would make the playoff a couple of more times but were unable to get wins. This past season, they fell to 4-8 as they are clearly heading towards a rebuild as star QB Riley Kiernan is expected to call it quits soon.

Overall in the decade, the Tigers were dominant winning the most games in the regular season out of anyone with 71. They were one of 2 teams to take home multiple McCallister Cups, and their 3 appearances were tied for second most with Long Island. London was one of the best teams from the decade and certainly earned this #2 spot despite their success being a little while ago.

All-Decade Team

The Tigers had plenty of strong players throughout the decade, but none more important than their star QB, Riley Kiernan, who won 2 MVPs in the Decade. His top weapon and 1960 MVP, WR Max Sutton, joins the list along with a pair of consistent All-Stars in OL Magnus Gunnersson and OL Emil Jennings. Of course, the big name many will be excited to see on the list is star K Nimrod Handsworth, who won 5 Special Teams Player of the Year awards in the decade. Defensively, there were many important pieces throughout the decade, starting with the local kids in DB Jackson Miles and DL Richard Blunt who easily became fan favourites. 5-time All-Star, DL Olympus Heights, joins his D-line partner on the team. Finally, the team’s old captain and Hall of Fame LB, Aengus Lynch, makes the team along with his successor at his position in LB Dallas Dillard who was a 6-time All-Star.

12/28/2022 8:48 pm  #2273

Cool to see my Tigers as the second best. Hopefully Le'Darius can make the all decade team for Louisville next decade

12/29/2022 5:24 pm  #2274

1 - Buffalo Blue Wings

The 1960s was the decade of the Blue Wings which dominated the decade, especially in the second half. In the early years of the decade, the Blue Wings slowly built their team behind star QB Charles Lemieux and RB Jimmy Golden. They did make a playoff appearance in 1961, but the team was far from ready. By the 1964 season, the Blue Wings were ready to make their mark on the league with RB Jimmy Golden winning the MVP and leading the Blue Wings to a West Division title and eventually the McCallister Cup. While they would miss out the next season, the Blue Wings bounced back with back-to-back McCallister Cup wins in 1966 and 1967, the first since the Royals in the mid-50s. They would miss out on the McCallister Cup in 1968 but bounced right back to win their 4th title in 6 years to close out the decade. 

Buffalo’s 4 titles were the most for any team in the decade and equalled the number Ottawa won in the 1950s. Those 4 wins also give Buffalo the most appearances in the McCallister Cups in the whole decade. They had the second most regular season wins with 67, and second most ties with 3. They also tied the Raiders for the most division titles in the decade. Buffalo also had the most points scored in the decade out of any team and was the only team to break 3000 points. Their playoff record was also the league’s best with an 8-2 record. Overall, the Blue Wings were easily the best team in the decade being very dominant and still look to be poised to continue their winning ways as we head into the 1970s.

All-Decade Team

Stars galore for the Blue Wings’ All-Decade team, highlighted, of course, by the team’s captain and 1966 MVP winner, QB Charles Lemieux. Next to him is a fellow 1960 draftee and 1964 MVP winner, RB Jimmy Golden. Rounding out the offence are a pair of All-Star wideouts in WR Julius Drake and WR Zachariah Pembroke, and 3-time All-Stars OL Georgio Stephan and TE Paul Arturberry. Defensively the team has some excellent talent as well. The DL duo of Lonnie Vincent and William Sanderson are there. Sanderson also joins Alexander Bradley as the only 2 players to appear on multiple All-Decade teams. Then, there is 1962 Rookie of the Year LB Orion Carter and 4-time All-Star DB Ezra Power to round out the team.

1/03/2023 6:40 pm  #2275

1960s Decade In Review: Rate the Looks

Well, now we can move on to the next part of this Decade in Review. A long while ago I asked the community to rank each team’s looks over the last decade to find which are the communities favourite and least favourite looks. I received 13 responses, and here are the results.

These first few designs appeared to be some of the most divisive with several of them receiving scores of 8, and obviously lower scores as well.

21 - Montreal Rouge (1958-1963)
Score: 48
Average: 3.7
# of 8’s given: 1
Most Common Score: 3

20 - Montreal Rouge (1964)
Score: 49
Average: 3.8
# of 8’s given: 0
Most Common Score: 4

Not too surprised the Rouge’s old looks were low ranked, though I thought the update with silver pants for both would give it a boost, but nope, only a single point separates them. 

19 - Worcester Athletics/The Athletics (1958-1961/1962)
Score: 54
Average: 4.2
Most Common Score: 3

I was never satisfied with the Athletics look, maybe it was the black pants feeling a bit out of the era, but I’m glad some people still like the look. 

18 - Pittsburgh Blacksmiths (1965-Present)
Score: 55
Average: 4.2
# of 8’s given: 2

I’m quite surprised that there were some higher votes for the Blacksmiths as I know that it’s not the most popular look, or maybe that’s my own head not loving the look, but I’m glad some like it.

17 - Halifax Mariners (1963-1965)
Score: 56
Average: 4.3
Most Common Score: 5

The switch to blue over black certainly helped this look a lot, but yea it was always just okay for me. 

16 - Toronto Steelheads (1964-1967)
Score: 57
Average: 4.4

I had one comment saying this was the better Steelheads look, but that’s just a hot take I guess. Overall, the look is fine, again one I didn’t love initially, but that was somewhat intentional.

15 - Long Island Raiders (1958-1968)
Score: 59
Average: 4.5

I still find it funny whenever someone realizes that the Raiders are dark green and maroon and not black and maroon. It’s a solid look, I think it might be a bit low personally, but still good.

As we break into the teams with a score of at least 60, we get to some of the honourable mentions for the top 10. 

14 - Providence Gold Stars (1958-1963 (without logo on helmet) and 1964-Present (with logo on helmet)
Score: 62
Average: 4.8
Most Common Score: 7

The Gold Stars have made their way to 14. They have always had the more “wacky” looks in the league and well I love them for that. Still not sure I would put them above the Raiders, but they are close. 

13 - Indiana Victors (1957-1966)
Score: 64
Average: 4.9

Indiana’s original look was also not a favourite of mine. It slowly got worse with time, being busy, but I can see why some like it due to its inspiration being da Bears and that striping being something that people like. 

12 - Boston Independents (1958-Present)
Score: 67
Average: 5.2

Boston comes just short of the top 10 with their classic, 3-gold look. (yes, the helmet, pants and striping are all different shades of gold). It’s a classy look that I think still looks good.

11 - Halifax Mariners (1966-Present)
Score: 69
Average: 5.3
Most Common Score: 6

I very much liked the improved Jets-inspired jersey design for the Mariners, just fit better and looked bolder and that clearly came through with it being 6 spots higher than its predecessor. 

Now to jump into the top 10!

10 - Long Island Raiders (1969-Present)
Score: 69
Average: 5.3

Starting it off we have the recent Raiders update, which saw the road pants change from green to white, and a throwback alternate jersey added to the mix, among other minor changes. I’m kinda surprised to see it that much higher than the other look since it’s not dramatically different, but I guess some like the alternate or just having white pants more.

9 - Louisville Thunder (1958-1961)
Score: 71
Average: 5.5

Louisville appears on the list for the first time with its original design. It’s a classic look that works, kind of hard to argue. 

8 - Minnesota Serpents (1969-Present)
Score: 74
Average: 5.7
# of 8’s given: 4

Okay next is… Minnesota? I made these to be a little off and unbalanced on purpose, but it’s up here. Yea I expected Minnesota’s random silver stripe and no blue on the lower half of the jersey to be a bigger problem, but I was wrong! I’m glad this look has been well received with the 4 scores of 8 given. 

7 - London Tigers (1958-Present)
Score: 78
Average: 6.0
# of 8’s given: 2

Tigers! Yea this one still remains one of my favourite looks and I’m glad people still love it. I wonder if the orange pants are a bit much sometimes, but It’s a classic look.

6 - Indiana Victors (1967-Present)
Score: 79
Average: 6.1
# of 8’s given: 3

I was very very happy with the Victors' update in 1967 and I’m glad the community seems to agree. This is one of the biggest upgrades in my opinion and I am very proud of the look and new logo.

5 - Buffalo Blue Wings (1958-Present)
Score: 80
Average: 6.2
# of 8’s given: 5
Most Common Score: 8

On to the top 5, we got the champs of the 1960s, the Buffalo Blue Wings. It’s a classic, and I am not surprised it tied for the most 8 scores out of anyone.

4 - Toronto Steelheads (1968-Present)
Score: 82
Average: 6.3

Another big upgrade came out of Toronto in 1968. It was only simple additions like adding a hint of red and more white and it just makes the look just that much better. Sometimes it’s the small details that make the biggest difference. Another look I am proud of.

3 - Louisville Thunder (1962-Present)
Score: 82
Average: 6.3
# of 8’s given: 5
Most Common Score: 8

The only team to make it into the top 10 with 2 looks, is the Louisville Thunder. Of course, it’s not too fair considering their looks aren’t that much different, but the addition of gold pants on the road seems to have made all the difference in getting this look to the top 3, and being the other team to get 5 scores of 8.

2 - Ottawa Royals (1958-Present)
Score: 83
Average: 6.4
# of 8’s given: 3

Now down to the last two looks, we have the Royals. This is one of my favourite looks in the league and I think has continued to stand the test of time for me. Ottawa was the only team that had no scores lower than a 5, so most agree that it is a solid look overall.

1 - Montreal Rouge (1965-Present)
Score: 85
Average: 6.5
# of 8’s given: 4

Finally, we have the top design, which is Montreal’s new update, and I agree heavily with this. I think the Rouge update is one of my favourites I have done, from logo to uniform, it just works so well for me and I love it. 

Anyways, thanks to everyone who voted this was fun, feel free to leave thoughts or discuss below! Also, any questions are certainly welcome.

Last edited by Wallflower (1/03/2023 6:41 pm)

1/03/2023 7:58 pm  #2276

Overall rankings that I mostly agree with, my biggest complaint would be the Steelheads' original look and the Raiders' original look being too low. The new Toronto look with red doesn't work as well for me (too much red, especially on the helmet) and the heavy amount of maroon without green on the new Raiders is also a no-go in my book. Of course I think Louisville has the best look but I can't really argue with the top three. Some great looks across the board for the NAAF and I can't wait to see what's next!

1/08/2023 5:46 pm  #2277

1960s Decade In Review: Scouting!

The last decade slowly saw the rosters of the NAAF go from being all players/names that I built to now a league primarily made up of players that the community has submitted. I’m sure many of you have loved seeing how your players have fared in the last decade. Some have produced MVPs, many All-Stars, and of course many champions, and some have only gotten started with players just starting their journey through the NAAF. Either way, whether you have produced stars or produced role players, I greatly appreciate the creativity and fun that the scouting reports have produced, and thank you all for helping me. 

So, while looking back at the decade I thought I would go over all the players that entered the league over the last decade. There were 607 total players who entered the league through the draft over the last decade, below is a breakdown of all the people who got prospects into the league and how many players they contributed. 

Idm - 77
Darknes - 71
Dan O’Mac - 61
Kingsfan11 - 55
Wallflower - 42
JamHeronArk - 38
Stickman - 36
ZO82 - 36
DireBear - 35
QCS - 32
Rugrat - 22
Scratch - 16
Captain Mort 3D - 14
Jayhawk - 14
NoE38 - 9
Sevsdast - 8
Enigmajones (TheEnigmaticOne) - 6
TigersFan93 - 6
ThisIsFine - 6
Edgeworth - 6
Ostheg - 4
Vladee - 3
H-Town1141 - 2
AJHFTW - 2
RaysUp - 2
NeoPrankster - 1
TargetToad - 1
CubsorSoxs - 1
ANDY! - 1

I also made up a couple of other lists with how many #1 picks and 1st rounders people had.

1st Overall Picks
DireBear - 3
Darknes - 2
QCS - 2
Kingsfan11 - 1
Wallflower - 1
Stickman - 1

1st Round Picks
Darknes - 18
Dan O’Mac - 13
DireBear - 12
Kingsfan11 - 9
Wallflower - 8
Stickman - 8
QCS - 8
Captain Mort 3D - 7
idm - 6
ZO82 - 5
JamHeronArk - 3
Rugrat - 3
Enigmajones (TheEnigmaticOne) - 3
Scratch - 2
Jayhawk - 2
NoE38 - 2
Sevsdast - 1
TigersFan93 - 1

Thanks again to the long list of members who have contributed players, and excited to see all the new ones to come. 

Now, is a perfect time to announce the less-than-exciting changes to the Scouting Report. I mentioned in my state of the NAAF post, that I would be adding “archetypes” to players in my sheet and I have completed that. However, the one thing I felt throughout is it is difficult to narrow down all the unique players into a fixed set of archetypes. So I decided not to include the archetypes in the “updated” scouting report. I did make a minor change, but I will also go over an updated guideline to the scouting report below. 

The first 3 questions are self-explanatory, name, position, and preferred number. Of course, all of these are subject to change by my own judgment or needs. 

Hometown: Okay I have pretty much always maintained that the players should come from NAAF regions, but I will loosen this up a bit, as the NAAF grows in popularity there are going to be more players from around other locations. Now, this comes with the stipulation that most players should still come from the NAAF region, so keep that in mind. Of course, I may also just change where guys are from to maintain consistency, so don’t worry too much if you are unsure. 

Path to the NAAF: Below this, I have added a question inspired by the one and only DireBear and asked what path that player has taken to get to the NAAF. 

Local D2 School - A lesser-known player that will play at the closest D2 school; likely to be a late-round pick/undrafted.

Top D2 School - Same as before but goes to a stronger school in D2

Local D1 School - Goes to one of the closest D1 schools to their hometown; this is typically where I have sent players to this point; draft spot changes based on where they are from.

Local D1 Conference - Goes to a school in the conference that is closest to them, may go to a better school in the conference; may have higher draft potential.

Hybrid Football School - Prioritizes Hybrid School of any location; more likely to get drafted higher in the NAAF draft; wants to get into the NAAF over any other league.

American Football School - Goes to an American Football School of any location; Didn’t plan on going to the NAAF; Likely goes later in the NAAF draft due to less scouting knowledge.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for options of where they could come from, feel free to suggest them, I am expecting to add options over time.

Personality and Playstyle remain the same.

Personality is all about who they are off the field, and who are they as a human outside of the game. This also includes upbringing or past, if you wish to give the player a backstory.

Playstyle - This is all about how they play on the field. The best way to go about this is to give me a few strengths, I will take the first (unless otherwise specified) as their biggest strength which will likely determine their archetype, and then at least some weakness because no one is perfect. 

Let me know if there are any questions. The report remains linked on the title page for the NAAF, but I will also link it here for some convenience for the time being. I have also added the guidelines above to the Blogspot so this is easily accessible for everyone at later dates.

SCOUTING REPORT

1/21/2023 5:55 pm  #2278

1960s Decade In Review: Top 25 Games of the Decade - 25-11

In the last decade, 722 games were played over 10 seasons. I have managed to put together a list of the best games of the decade. While these games are ranked, some are so close it is hard to say which one is the best, but I tried my best and there is only so much tinkering you can do with the list before it becomes too much. Overall, going through the games I was looking for 3 criteria: 1 - how close of a game it was, 2 - The stakes of the game, (ie playoffs), and 3 - The Story/emotion. 

#25 - 1965 Week 1: Montreal Rouge - 41, Boston Independents - 34 - OT - Mount Royal Stadium - June 25, 1965 - 7 PM ET - FNF - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
7-0 MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Derek Cross
7-7 BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> WR Chester Bennett
2nd Q
14-7 MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Derek Cross
14-14 BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> TE Tobias Lindholm
21-14 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
3rd Q
28-14 MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Derek Cross
28-17 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
31-17 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
4th Q
34-17 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
34-24 BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> WR Evan Clanton
34-31 BOS - RTD RB Kendall Morgan
34-34 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
OT
41-34 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White

An absolute shootout started the 1965 season, during the first Friday Night Football game of the year.
Montreal had a 17-point lead heading into the 4th quarter, but Braddock would lead the Independents back to tie it and force over time.
A big play from WR Yahui Sun to set up the Mallard-White touchdown in OT would be the deciding score.

#24 - 1963 West Division Semi-Final: Louisville Thunder - 16, Ottawa Royals 21 - Thunder Stadium - September 22, 1963 - 7 PM ET - Weather: Mosty Cloudy
1st Q
0-7 OTT - PTD QB Lee Rogers -> WR Mackenzie Jones
2nd Q
3-7 LOU - FG K Frank Hughes
10-7 LOU - RTD RB Rodney Clark
3rd Q
13-7 LOU - FG K Frank Hughes
13-14 OTT - PTD QB Lee Rogers -> WR Chester Bennett
4th Q
16-14 LOU - FG K Frank Hughes
16-21 OTT - RTD QB Lee Rogers

This game is the only time a crossover team has won a playoff game, and it was easily the worst one by record as the Royals entered the playoffs with a 4-5-3 record to play the 7-5 and defending champion Thunder. 
To add to this, the Royals were without star QB Jean Matieau, so famed 1st overall pick bust, QB Lee Rogers would get his first NAAF playoff start.
Now, Louisville was also starting backup QB Stanislav Ovechkin who was the hot hand over QB Leonidas Dumont.
In order to get the win the Royals would take advantage of the Thunder’s mistakes and make some big plays including a bomb to WR Chester Bennett, who beat DB Oliver Langstrom.
Louisville would have the 16-14 lead late, but QB Lee Rogers would get a drive of redemption to take the Royals down to the goal line before getting into the endzone himself for the win. 

#23 - 1967 Week 6: Louisville Thunder - 41 - Indiana Victors - 34 - OT - Thunder Stadium - July 29, 1967 - 3:30 PM ET - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
0-7 IND - PTD QB Tom Applewhite -> TE Emmanuel Hines
7-7 LOU - RTD RB Rodney Clark
2nd Q
7-14 IND - PTD QB Tom Applewhite -> WR Silas Peyton
10-14 LOU - FG K Frank Hughes
10-17 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
3rd Q
17-17 LOU - PTD QB Buck Murphy -> WR Carter Henderson
17-24 IND - RTD RB Raymond Green
4th Q
24-24 LOU - PTD QB Buck Murphy -> WR Lloyd Lane
24-27 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
27-27 LOU - FG K Frank Hughes
Overtime
27-34 IND - RTD RB Raymond Green
34-34 LOU - PTD QB Buck Murphy -> WR Lloyd Lane
41-34 LOU - PTD QB Buck Murphy -> WR Lloyd Lane

Rivalry week always brings out some classic games, but one of the best from the Victors-Thunder rivalry happened in 1967.
Both teams had strong offences this season and it showed with both teams putting up 27 points in regulation, but even more so in the extra frame with the teams combining for 21 more points. 
However, the highlight was WR Lloyd Lane, who’s 3 touchdowns helped get the win for the Thunder. 

#22 - 1964 Week 6: Toronto Steelheads - 34, Louisville Thunder - 33 - Anderson Stadium - July 19, 1964 - 2 PM ET - Weather: Partly Cloudy- TV: Bob Litchfield and Eric O’Brian
1st Q
0-7 LOU - RTD RB Rodney Clark
3-7 TOR - FG K Bob Randall
3-14 LOU - RTD RB Rodney Clark
2nd Q
3-17 LOU - FG K Frank Hughes
10-17 TOR - RTD RB Max Tracy
10-24 LOU - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> WR Piers Key
13-24 TOR - FG K Bob Randall
3rd Q
13-27 LOU - FG K Frank Hughes
20-27 TOR - KRTD WR Dwayne Alexander
20-30 LOU - FG K Frank Hughes
4th Q
27-30 TOR - RTD RB Max Tracy
27-33 LOU - FG K Frank Hughes
34-33 TOR - PTD QB Todd Baker -> WR Samuel Petri

During Toronto’s first season in the NAAF, they would pull off a stellar 2nd half-comeback against the Thunder. 
The week 6 game saw the Thunder take a 13-27 lead in the 3rd quarter, only for the Steelheads, led by rookie RB Max Tracy and star QB Todd Baker to roar back and win the game on a late touchdown from WR Samuel Petri. 

#21 - 1969 Week 1: Minnesota Serpents - 33, Louisville Thunder - 29 - Midgard Stadium - June 20, 1969 - 8 PM ET - FNF - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
3-0 MIN - FG K Ray Bough
2nd Q
6-0 MIN - FG K Ray Bough
6-7 LOU - RTD RB Théodore Lemieux
6-14 LOU - PTD QB Buck Murphy -> WR Casey Coleman
12-14 MIN - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> WR Sebastian Dassler
3rd Q
19-14 MIN - RTD RB Hugo Hughes
19-21 LOU - PTD QB Buck Murphy -> WR Lloyd Lane
4th Q
26-21 MIN - RTD RB Hugo Hughes
26-27 LOU - RTD RB Théodore Lemieux
26-29 LOU - 2PT QB Buck Murphy -> WR Casey Coleman
33-29 MIN - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> WR Evan Clanton

The Serpents' first game was certainly one to remember as QB Leonidas Dumont got his revenge on his hometown team. 
The game was a slow burn early, but after K Ray Bough got the first points in Serpents' history the floodgates opened and the points rolled it.
Louisville would have a late lead after a touchdown from RB Théodore Lemieux, but Dumont got the last laugh with a game-winning drive to win over the Minnesota market.

#20 - 1968 Week 2: Toronto Steelheads - 31, Buffalo Blue Wings - 30 - Anderson Stadium - June 30, 1968 - 4 PM ET - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
0-3 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
3-3 TOR - FG K Vic Greatwood
2nd Q
3-10 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> TE Paul Arturberry
6-10 TOR - FG K Vic Greatwood
6-13 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
3rd Q
6-20 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Jimmy Jack
13-20 TOR - RTD RB Max Tracy
13-23 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
4th Q
20-23 TOR - RTD RB Max Tracy
23-23 TOR - FG K Vic Greatwood
23-30 BUF - RTD RB Jimmy Golden
29-30 TOR - PTD QB Todd Baker -> WR Al Allmendinger
31-30 TOR - 2PT QB Todd Baker -> RB Max Tracy

In the second week of the 1968 season the Steelheads and Blue Wings had an exciting tilt with the Steelheads coming back from down 6-20, then 23-30.
RB Max Tracy was an important piece scoring a pair of touchdowns and then getting the game-winning 2-point attempt as the Steelheads gambled on beating the Blue Wings. The result certainly was important for Toronto who would go on to win the West Division.

#19 - 1969 Week 11: London Tigers - 35, Long Island Raiders - 37 - Western Fair Stadium - August 29, 1969 - 7 PM ET - FNF - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
7-0 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Carter Henderson
7-3 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
7-10 LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields
2nd Q
14-10 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Cole Fletcher
14-17 LI - PTD QB Ivan Sanchez -> WR Larry Mossholder
17-17 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
3rd Q
18-17 LDN - Single K Nimrod Handsworth
25-17 LDN - RTD RB Austin Andrews
25-23 LI - PTD QB Ivan Sanchez -> WR Otto Washington
4th Q
25-30 LI - RTD RB Scott Norton
28-30 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
35-30 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Joshua Lafleur
35-37 LI - PTD QB Ivan Sanchez -> WR Frank Drysdale

As the 1969 season came to a close, a battle between two long-time rivals created some drama despite both teams having less-than-stellar seasons.
QB Riley Kiernan might have been making his final start of the season, and his career and he would leave everything out on the field, leading the Tigers to a 35-point outing. 
He had one last chance to play hero and came through with a stellar and emotional drive to score the go-ahead touchdown.
Unfortunately, the Raiders were here to spoil the fun and WR Frank Drysdale would make a big play after catching a deep throw from QB Ivan Sanchez, where he juked S Randall Green out of his shoes and took home the long touchdown to win the game.
Kiernan still left the field to a standing ovation in London.

#18 - 1969 Week 13: Minnesota Serpents - 30, Buffalo Blue Wings - 33 - Midgard Stadium - September 14, 1969 - 3:30 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
7-0 MIN - RTD RB Hugo Hughes
7-3 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
2nd Q
7-10 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Tracy Driscoll
14-10 MIN - PTD QB Martin Keller -> WR Sebastian Dassler
14-13 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
14-16 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
3rd Q
17-16 MIN - FG K Ray Bough
17-23 BUF - RTD RB Jimmy Golden
20-23 MIN - FG K Ray Bough
4th Q
27-23 MIN - RTD RB Hugo Hughes
27-30 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Julius Drake
30-30 MIN - FG K Ray Bough
30-33 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch

In just their first season the Serpents were in the running to fight for a West Division title, however, they needed to go through Buffalo who was also eying the title.
The first-ever meeting between the two teams would be a battle as no team got up by more than 1 score throughout the game. 
Buffalo had the late lead, but they almost blew it when RB Tyler Kuhn almost took back the kick for a TD.
Luckily, K Ryan Perch made the tackle but came up hurt.
Minnesota would tie, but Buffalo had enough time to get down the field again.
The game was on the foot of the hobbling Perch, but the Aussie would power through and nail the game-winner to give Buffalo the West Division.

#17 - 1966 East Division Semi-Final: Montreal Rouge 24, Halifax Mariners - 20 - Mount Royal Stadium - September 18, 1966 - 3 PM ET - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
7-0 MTL - PTD QB Mike Key -> WR Taylor Karis
14-0 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
2nd Q
14-3 HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
14-6 HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
17-6 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
3rd Q
17-13 HFX - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Sam Nash
4th Q
17-20 HFX - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Shane Steadman
24-20 MTL - PTD QB Mike Key -> WR Yahui Sun

The East Division Semi-Final was part 2 of a back-to-back set of games between the Rouge and Mariners who had played in the final game of the season.
Montreal entered the playoffs starting backup QB Mike Key and he would get the offence rolling early with a 14-0 lead.
Halifax would eventually work their way back into the game with QB Lyle Painter throwing a pair of touchdowns in the 2nd half to take the lead.
The defining moment of the game came late in the 4th when Halifax was held to a 3rd down by the Rouge and had to punt out of their own end. 
A mistake on the snap would slow down K Albert Wickerweaver’s punt and S Garet deVale would get there and block the punt which would set up WR Yahui Sun’s eventual game-winning touchdown.

#16 - 51st McCallister Cup: Buffalo Blue Wings - 16, Ottawa Royals - 15 - Victory Stadium - October 5, 1969 - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
3-0 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
2nd Q
6-0 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
3rd Q
6-7 OTT - RTD RB Corbyn Knight
13-7 BUF - RTD RB Jimmy Golden
4th Q
13-14 OTT - PTD QB Drake Young -> WR Piers Key
13-15 OTT - Single K Ira Foster
16-15 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch

There weren’t many fireworks in the most recent McCallister Cup, but the defence and the storyline give this showdown a lot of stock as a great game.
Buffalo entered the game with backup QB Travis Jackson making his first career start, while Ottawa made their first appearance in the big game since 1960. 
Both defences were the story of the game throughout the first half with only 6 points being scored.
The touchdowns would come in the second half with Ottawa grabbing a pair and Buffalo the other major. 
Ottawa would have a chance to take a 4-point lead in the 4th, but K Ira Foster would miss the 46-yard kick giving Buffalo a chance to still take the lead with a field goal. 
RB Jasper Dickerson would have a huge kick return before QB Travis Jackson would step up and make a couple of throws to set up the game-winning field goal.
Jackson became the first player to make his first career start in the big game and then win it.

#15 - 1966 Week 1: Halifax Mariners - 38, Indiana Victors - 33 - Atlantic Stadium - June 24, 1966 - 6 PM ET - Weather: Mostly Cloudy
1st Q
0-7 IND - RTD RB Raymond Green
7-7 HFX - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Shane Steadman
10-7 HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
2nd Q
17-7 HFX - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> RB Ronald O’Sullivan
17-10 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
23-10 HFX - RTD RB Ronald O’Sullivan
3rd Q
23-13 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
26-13 HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
26-20 IND - PTD QB Tom Applewhite -> WR Silas Peyton
29-20 HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
4th Q
29-23 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
29-30 IND - PTD QB Tom Applewhite -> WR Ed Edwards
32-30 HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
32-33 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
38-33 HFX - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Jav Kerrigan

The Mariners and Victors kicked off the 1966 season with a game full of fireworks as QB Lyle Painter, who had won MVP with Indiana in the previous season, got revenge on the team he left in the offseason.
Halifax would be the ones with the advantage early going up 23-10 at halftime, but the Victors were able to creep back into the contest in the second half.
Indiana would eventually take the lead late, but WR Jav Kerrigan would play hero, scoring a huge touchdown following a DB Cameron Taylor missed tackle, starting the “JAV! JAV! JAV!” chant in Halifax.

#14 - 1960 Week 12: Montreal Rouge - 34, Boston Independents - 31 - Mount Royal Stadium - September 11, 1960 - 4 PM ET - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
7-0 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
7-3 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
7-10 BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> WR Clyde McIntosh
2nd Q
14-10 MTL - PTD QB Stanislav Ovechkin -> WR Derek Cross
21-10 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
3rd Q
21-17 BOS - RTD RB Kendall Morgan
24-17 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
24-24 BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> WR Ellis Lindholm
4th Q
31-24 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
31-31 BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> WR Paul Franklin
34-31 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger 

In the final week of the 1960 season, the Rouge and Independents would have quite the clash. 
Montreal, who was looking to clinch their first playoff appearance since 1954, had the lead by halftime up 21-10.
Unfortunately, they were going up against QB Nathaniel Braddock and Boston bounced right back to leave the game tied heading into the final frame.
Montreal managed to get another lead off of RB Scott Mallard-White’s 3rd touchdown to go along with his 187 rushing yards.
But once again Boston tied it right back up, leaving QB Stanislav Ovechkin to come up clutch for the Rouge.
Ovechkin would do just that leading the Rouge down to the redzone to set up K Arthur Kettinger for the game-winning and playoff-clinching kick.

#13 - 1965 Week 11: Toronto Steelheads - 35, Buffalo Blue Wings - 34 - Anderson Stadium - September 6, 1965 - 2 PM ET - Labour Day - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
3-0 TOR - FG K Bob Randall
3-7 BUF - RTD RB Jimmy Golden
10-7 TOR - PTD QB Todd Baker -> TE Paul McDowell
2nd Q
10-14 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Zachariah Pembroke
13-14 TOR - FG K Bob Randall
20-14 TOR - RTD RB Max Tracy
20-21 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Daniel Irons
3rd Q
23-21 TOR - FG K Bob Randall
23-28 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Julius Drake
26-28 TOR - FG K Bob Randall
4th Q
26-31 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
32-31 TOR - PTD QB Todd Baker -> WR Edmund Landry
32-34 BUF - FG K Ryan Perch
35-34 TOR - FG K Bob Randall

This late-season battle between the Steelheads and Blue Wings had many important playoff implications, mainly that both teams had a chance to clinch a playoff spot with a win, and potentially knock out the other in the tightly contested West Division. 
The game was close throughout with Buffalo having only a 1-point lead at halftime.
Toronto would keep pace and with a WR Edmund Landry touchdown in the 4th, they would take the lead.
Buffalo managed to get back the lead on the next drive, but Toronto had one last drive in them to get the game-winning kick that clinched a playoff spot for themselves, Indiana, and London and made the now 6-5 Blue Wings’ path to the postseason very hard.
Ultimately, Toronto would go on to win the West and Buffalo would miss the playoffs by a hair.

#12 - 1961 Week 6: London Tigers - 27, Buffalo Blue Wings - 28 - Western Fair Stadium - August 6, 1961 - 4 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
0-7 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR LeRoy Krueger
7-7 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Benedict Spencer
2nd Q
14-7 LDN - RTD RB Clifford Russell
17-7 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
3rd Q
20-7 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
20-14 BUF - RTD RB Jimmy Golden
4th Q
27-14 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton
27-21 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR LeRoy Krueger
27-28 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Daniel Irons 

QB Charles Lemieux’s second career start was one to remember against the Blue Wings’ arch-rivals, the London Tigers.
The Blue Wings elected to see what their 2nd year QB had while the team sat at 1-5 taking on the 6-0 Tigers.
While Buffalo did score the first points of the game, but it London would eventually pull away to a 20-7 and 27-14 lead, but Lemieux showed the potential he had and managed a stunning comeback.
The QB would throw 3 touchdowns including 2 late in the 4th to pull off the shocking, 1-point win on the road in London and begin a new era in Buffalo.

#11 - 1966 Week 12: Montreal Rouge - 24, Halifax Mariners - 23 - Mount Royal Stadium - September 10, 1966 - 3:30 PM ET - Weather: Mostly Cloudy
1st Q
0-3 HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
2nd Q
7-3 MTL - RTD RB Hugo Hughes
7-10 HFX - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Jav Kerrigan
14-10 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
3rd Q
14-13 HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
17-13 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
4th Q
17-20 HFX - RTD RB Wally Morton
17-23 HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
24-23 MTL - PTD QB Mike Key -> WR Derek Cross

The Montreal Miracle.
The Rouge pretty much needed to find a way to beat the Halifax Mariners if they wanted to make it to the postseason, as the Gold Stars were going to be going up against the Raiders’ backups and would get in with a win and a Montreal loss.
The odds were against the Rouge, who were starting backup QB Mike Key due to QB Gene Bishop’s injury.
Montreal managed to come out of the first half with a 14-10 lead, but Halifax would climb back in the second half to eventually take a 17-23 lead in the 4th.
In the dying seconds of the game, QB Mike Key would take a shot at WR Derek Cross, and the deep threat WR would manage to get the ball and then escape to the endzone to give Montreal the stunning win and clinch them a playoff spot and a rematch with the Mariners the following week which was the #17 game on the list. 

Last edited by Wallflower (1/21/2023 7:56 pm)

1/23/2023 5:47 pm  #2279

1960s Decade in Review: Games of the Decade Top 10

#10 - 1962 Week 12: Louisville Thunder - 29, London Tigers - 30 - Thunder Stadium - September 8, 1962 - 7 PM ET - SNF - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
0-3 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
7-3 LOU - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> WR Piers Key
2nd Q
7-6 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
14-6 LOU - RTD RB Rodney Clark
14-12 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Russell Wilcox
3rd Q
17-12 LOU - FG K Donald Brewer
17-15 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
17-22 LDN - RTD RB Clifford Russell
23-22 LOU - RTD RB Rodney Clark 
4th Q
26-22 LOU - FG K Donald Brewer
29-22 LOU - FG K Donald Brewer
29-28 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Jack Duncan
29-30 LDN - 2PT QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Russell Wilcox

For the final Saturday Night battle of the season, the Tigers and Thunder would battle for the West Division, as the winner of the game would get the bye to the West Division Final.
It was a back-and-forth affair with each team trading blows heading into the final quarter with Louisville holding onto the 1-point lead. 
The Thunder defence would hold the Tigers back while the offence would get a couple of field goals to hold onto a 7-point lead.
The Tigers would have one last push in the tank and QB Riley Kiernan would lead them down the field for a touchdown to make it a 1-point game. 
Now, if the game ended in a tie, the Thunder would get the division so the Tigers gambled and went for 2 points.
Kiernan would roll out and find WR Russell Wilcox in the endzone to get the 2-point attempt and give the Tigers the lead and eventually the West Division.

#9 - Long Island Raiders 34, London Tigers - 37 - OT - Long Island Stadium - September 24, 1960 - 7 PM ET - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
0-7 LDN - PTD QB Christian Stewart -> TE Paul McDowell
3-7 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
2nd Q
6-7 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
13-7 LI - RTD RB Johnnie Stafford
20-7 LI - RTD RB Johnnie Stafford
20-10 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
3rd Q
20-17 LDN - RTD RB Clifford Russell
20-24 LDN - PTD QB Christian Stewart -> WR Max Sutton
4th Q
27-24 LI - RTD RB Johnnie Stafford
27-27 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
Overtime
34-27 LI - DTD PNT BLK DB Slay Mitchell
34-34 LDN - RTD RB Clifford Russell
34-37 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth

The Raiders beat the Tigers in the final game of the 1960 season to win the West Division, but the biggest impact from that contest was that both QB Lyle Painter of the Raiders and QB Riley Kiernan of the Tigers left that game with injuries. 
Two weeks later QB Brian Meadows, LI, and QB Christian Stewart, LDN, would face off in the West Division Final.
RB Johnnie Stafford was also having his best season and would make an impact in the first half for the Raiders with a pair of touchdowns to give the team a 20-10 lead at the break.
In the second half, the Tigers would storm back with a pair of touchdowns in the 3rd.
The Raiders would get back in front with Johnnie Stafford’s 3rd touchdown of the game, but the Tigers would get a last-minute field goal to send the game to overtime.
A blocked punt from DB Slay Mitchell would give the Raiders the lead in OT, but the Tigers bounced back and QB Christian Stewart would lead the Tigers' offence to a touchdown to tie it yet again.
The Tigers would get a stop and would go down and get the game-winning kick to send the team to their 2nd straight McCallister Cup.

#8 - 43rd McCallister Cup: London Tigers - 24, Boston Independents - 25 - Royals Stadium at Brewer Park - October 1, 1961 - 6 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
0-3 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
7-3 LDN - QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton
2nd Q
10-3 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
10-6 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
11-6 LDN - Single K Nimrod Handsworth
3rd Q
11-12 BOS - RTD RB Kendall Morgan
18-12 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Benedict Spencer
4th Q
18-19 BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> WR Ellis Lindholm
24-19 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton
24-25 BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> WR Clyde McIntosh

The Tigers returned to the McCallister Cup for the 3rd straight season and Boston made their first since 1954.
The first half would be a bit slow as both defences were managing to hold their own and make some big plays.
Both teams would score touchdowns in the 3rd to start up the more offensive 2nd half.
In the end, the game would come down to a clutch drive, led by QB Nathaniel Braddock, who had gotten the team in position to take the lead.
The game-deciding play would be a pass to veteran WR Clyde McIntosh, who would hurdle over DB Bob Ellis and then dive into the endzone.

#7 - 1969 West Division Semi-Final: Indiana Victors - 24, Pittsburgh Blacksmiths - 38 - OT - Victory Stadium - September 21, 1969 - 6 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
0-3 PIT - FG K Al Highlander
7-3 IND - PTD QB Tom Applewhite -> WR Ed Edwards
2nd Q
14-3 IND - PTD QB Tom Applewhite -> TE Eric Peterson
17-3 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
3rd Q
17-10 PIT - RTD RB Tresean Jones
17-17 PIT - PTD QB Louis Vaughn -> WR Orlando Barrack
4th Q
24-17 IND - RTD RB Raymond Green
24-24 PIT - PTD QB Louis Vaughn -> WR Justin Dubuque
OT
24-31 PIT - RTD RB Ronald O’Sullivan
21-38 PIT - DTD INT DB Zed McLaughlin

Pittsburgh’s first playoff game was one to remember.
It was an ugly start for the Blacksmiths, as the Indiana Victors took off with a 17-3 lead in the first half.
However, the Blacksmiths bounced back in the second half with a pair of touchdowns in the 3rd to suddenly tie the game.
Indy would go back up by a touchdown to start the 4th, but 1969 MVP, QB Louis Vaughn, would pull it together and find a way to score a touchdown with less than 30 seconds left in the game.
Pittsburgh would keep the momentum into the extra frame and take their first lead of the game.
They would then clinch the game with a big interception by LB Quinn Masters and then pitch to DB Zed McLaughlin who took it into the endzone for a touchdown.

#6 - 1962 East Division Semi-Final: Ottawa Royals - 34, Montreal Rouge - 38 - OT - Royals Stadium at Brewer Park - September 16, 1962 - 3 PM ET - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
0-7 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
2nd Q
0-14 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
7-14 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Mackenzie Jones
3rd Q
10-14 OTT - FG K Maurice Lafayette
10-21 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
17-21 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Chester Bennett
4th Q
17-28 MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Taylor Karis
23-28 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Mackenzie Jones
29-28 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> TE Jervonte Howell
31-28 OTT - 2PT QB Jean Matieau -> WR Mackenzie Jones
31-31 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
OT
34-31 OTT - FG K Maurice Lafayette
34-38 MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Taylor Karis

The classic Royals-Rouge rivalry would have one of its best installments in the 1962 East Division Semi-Final.
Montreal jumped out to a 0-14 lead in the first half, but Ottawa would answer back with the next 10 points. 
Montreal would eventually take an 11-point lead early in the 4th quarter, but QB Jean Matieau and the Royals would not go down without a fight and they would rally with a pair of 4th quarter touchdowns to take the lead.
Luckily for Montreal, they would be able to recover from the blown lead and get a field goal to send the game to overtime.
Ottawa would strike first to take a 34–31 lead in the extra frame, but a big play from WR Derek Cross would set up WR Taylor Karis for the game-winning score to give Montreal their first playoff win since the 1953 McCallister Cup.

#5 - 50th McCallister Cup: Halifax Mariners - 24, Indiana Victors - 20 - Richardson Stadium - October 6, 1968 - 6 PM ET - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
0-7 IND - PTD QB Tom Applewhite -> WR Ed Edwards
0-14 IND - PTD QB Tom Applewhite -> WR Evan Clanton
2nd Q
7-14 HFX - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> RB Ronald O’Sullivan
7-17 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
10-17 HFX - FG K Albert Wickerweaver
3rd Q
10-20 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
17-20 HFX - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Shane Steadman
4th Q
24-20 HFX - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Jav Kerrigan

For the 50th McCallister Cup, two franchises that had gone through many tough years in the early 60s met in Boston.
The Victors would come out swinging with a pair of touchdowns in the opening quarter while their defence held off the Mariners.
The Mariners would bounce back in the 2nd quarter with 10 points of their own, but they were still down by 7 going into the 2nd half.
Indiana would take a 10-point lead early in the 3rd, but eventually, Halifax would pull to within 3 points heading into the final quarter.
Indiana would pin the Mariners down on their own 14 late in the game, but they were able to get up to midfield before being forced to a 3rd down.
On the play, Painter would lose the football on a hit from DL Ron Prumple, but the play was called back for offside on Prumple.
Halifax would take advantage and soon enough Lyle Painter would find WR Jav Kerrigan for the game-winning score to clinch them their first title in the NAAF.

#4 - 1964 East Division Final: Montreal Rouge - 26, Long Island Raiders - 30 - Mount Royal Stadium - September 27, 1964 - 3 PM ET - Weather: Cloudy/Windy
1st Q
3-0 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
10-0 MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Taylor Karis
10-3 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
2nd Q
17-3 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
17-6 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
3rd Q
23-6 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
23-13 LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields
4th Q
23-20 LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields
23-23 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
26-23 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
26-30 LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields

Next, we have another epic comeback as the Montreal Rouge would control the game throughout the first half taking a 17-6 lead into the break. 
Montreal would add to their lead early in the end half to go up by 17, but the Raiders would finally answer with a touchdown from RB Dareion Fields.
The tide continued to turn in the favour of the Raiders as Dareion Fields would get his second of the game, to help the Raiders pull within 3 and then tie the game shortly after.
Montreal would get a score back to regain the lead and would hope to hold off the Raiders on their final drive.
Montreal would hold the Raiders to 3rd and 1 around midfield and, of course, the Raiders would go for it.
The Raiders put faith into their RB in Dareion Fields and the star back would find a hole and explode right into the open field.
Fields ran 52 yards to the endzone to give the Raiders their first lead of the game and send them to the McCallister Cup.

#3 - 45th McCallister Cup: London Tigers - 34, Providence Gold Stars - 31 - Long Island Stadium - October 6, 1963 - 6 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
7-0 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton
14-0 LDN - RTD QB Rigobert St-Hilaire
2nd Q
14-7 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Cedric Peterson
14-14 PRO - RTD RB Marcus Devonshire
17-14 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
3rd Q
17-21 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Owen Paisley
17-24 PRO - FG K Ira Foster
24-24 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Jack Duncan
4th Q
24-31 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Cedric Peterson
31-31 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Russell Wilcox
34-31 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth

Long Island was treated to an offensive duel for the 45th McCallister Cup.
The Tigers brought the pressure early with a pair of touchdowns in the opening quarter.
The Gold Stars rebounded in the 2nd and tied it up before the Tigers retook the lead just before the break.
The close contest would continue throughout the 3rd quarter with both teams getting a touchdown, while Providence would add a field goal to tie the game going into the final quarter.
An amazing throw from Connor O’Rourke would give the Gold Stars the lead in the 4th quarter, but the Tigers would not go away quietly.
After WR Russell Wilcox tied the game up, the Tigers' defence would stall the Gold Stars and allow the Tigers one last shot before the clock ran out.
QB Riley Kiernan led the Tigers down the field to set up K Nimrod Handsworth for the game-winning kick with no time on the clock.

#2 - 1962 East Division Final: Providence Gold Stars - 24, Montreal Rouge - 29 - September 23, 1962 - 3 PM ET - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
0-3 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
7-3 PRO - RTD RB Marcus Devonshire
2nd Q
7-10 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
14-10 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Cedric Peterson
3rd Q
14-13 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
21-13 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Cedric Peterson
21-19 MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Derek Cross
4th Q
21-22 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
24-22 PRO - FG K Ira Foster
24-29 MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Derek Cross

Providence is once again featured in one of the best games of the decade, but once again it comes with heartbreak.
Providence had the early advantage, coming away with the 7-3 lead after the first quarter.
In the second Montreal would gain the lead, but Providence took it right back with a 2nd touchdown.
Providence would start the 2nd half off on the wrong foot, with Montreal getting a pick, but they managed to hold them to just a field goal.
After Providence added to their lead with a touchdown pass, the Rouge would find the endzone with WR Derek Cross to cut the lead to 2.
Montreal would take the lead early in the 4th, but Providence would take it back on the ensuing drive.
QB Gene Bishop was leading the Rouge down the field late and was threatening to score, but the QB got a little too aggressive and would overthrow his target and into the arms of S Shawn Jensen of the Gold Stars.
The crowd in Providence thought the game was certainly over and they would be heading to their 1st McCallister Cup since 1953.
However, one of the craziest turn of events would occur as Providence attempted to get a first down on 2nd and short, but there was an issue with the snap and O’Rourke would fumble with the ball before giving it to RB Marcus Devonshire, but the exchange was interfered with by S Garet deVale, forcing a fumble and giving Montreal another chance.
They would take the field and score a touchdown to give them the lead and the win.

#1 - 42nd McCallister Cup: London Tigers - 38, Ottawa Royals 33 - Western Fair Stadium - October 2, 1960 - 6 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
7-0 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Benedict Spencer
14-0 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton
14-7 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Mackenzie Jones
2nd Q
17-7 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
24-7 LDN - RTD RB Clifford Russell
24-14 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Truman Harry
3rd Q
24-21 OTT - KRTD RB Alexei Volkov
24-28 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Chester Bennett
31-28 LDN - RTD RB Clifford Russell
4th Q
38-28 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton
38-31 OTT - FG K Maurice Lafayette
38-33 OTT - Safety (WR Max Sutton kneel)

The best game of the decade would end up being the finale of the first season of the decade as QB Riley Kiernan and the Tigers looked to finally get over the hump against QB Jean Matieau and the Ottawa Royals who had beaten them in the big game the previous season.
The Tigers came to play on home field, taking a 14-0 lead in the opening quarter, but the Royals bounced back with a touchdown themselves before the end of the quarter.
The Tigers’ offence kept on rolling in the second, going up 24-7.
Near the end of the half, the Royals would pull out their famous trick play that won them the 1956 McCallister Cup and get on the board late to make it 24-14.
Ottawa continued to pull tricks, by throwing their starting RB, Alexei Volkov, out for the kick, to which he promptly took it to the house to cut the lead down to 3.
Ottawa would eventually grab their first lead of the game, but at a cost with WR Mackenzie Jones being taken out of the game.
The Tigers would respond near the end of the quarter, before then extending their lead to 10 early in the 4th.
Ottawa would cut the lead down to 7 with a field goal, but they still needed a touchdown.
QB Jean Matieau would get the ball one last time and would lead a lengthy drive down to the Tigers’ 7-yard line, where the Tigers made an electrifying stand that had the crowd buzzing.
After the Tigers got the stop they would run the clock, before letting WR Max Sutton take the snap on the punt and run around the endzone until the time ran and he gave up the safety to seal the win for London.

Last edited by Wallflower (1/23/2023 5:49 pm)

1/27/2023 12:29 pm  #2280

1960s Decade In Review: The Decade Overview
Hey everyone, this is the final post for the decade in review, I am chomping at the bit to get back to the simulation, but I wanted to have at least 1 post that looks back on each season in the league and highlights some of the biggest events and storylines from each season. I have summarized what happened in each of the seasons in terms of the overarching story under the events. Then I have also looked at some of the biggest acquisitions and draft picks in the decade. finally the results both on the field and with the season's awards. It's a bit of a nerdy post, but it was fun to look back on the decade especially when it comes to trades and seeing who may have come out on top in certain deals. I also hope this is a post to help refresh everyone on what has happened recently, and maybe those who wish for a faster way to catch up.

1960 Season

Events:
NAAF makes a partnership with The Gains Report to be official public Scouting Department for the League.
GLFL adds Columbus as 7th team.

1st Overall Pick: WR Alexei Dubois - St-Laurent - Indiana Victors
Mr. Irrelevant: RB Wally Morton - Massachusetts Commonwealth - Ottawa Royals
Best Player of the Class (so far): QB Charles Lemieux - Round 2, Pick 13

Biggest Free Agency Move: RB Marcus Devonshire - WOR -> PRO - 3Y, $24,000

Biggest Trade:
To MTL
PRO 1960 1st Round Pick (6th) -> OL Kurt Booker -> 1.5 Seasons with MTL -> Traded to WOR.
DL Zakary Turbide -> 3 Seasons with MTL, 1 All-Star -> Retired
PRO 1961 Conditional 3rd Round Pick -> Conditions not met, pick returned.

To PRO
MTL 1960 1st Round Pick (4th) -> DL Craig White -> 10+ Seasons with PRO, 6 All-Stars
DL Xander Devereaux -> 3 Seasons with PRO -> Signed with LI
S Jumon Cobb -> 3 Seasons with PRO -> Retired.

Each Team’s Top Rated Player
BOS: LB Brent Harper - 86 OVR
BUF: S Frazier Brooks - 84 OVR
IND: DL William Sanderson - 89 OVR
LDN: QB Riley Kiernan - 87 OVR
LI: QB Lyle Painter - 85 OVR
LOU: S Johnny Berger - 92 OVR
MTL: WR Derek Cross - 85 OVR
OTT: QB Jean Matieau - 88 OVR
PRO: QB Connor O’Rourke - 86 OVR
WOR: LB Scotty Williams - 92 OVR

Awards
MVP: WR Max Sutton - LDN
Offensive Player of the Year: RB Johnnie Stafford - BUF/LI
Defensive Player of the Year: LB Scotty Williams - WOR
Special Teams Player of the Year: K Nimrod Handsworth - LDN
Coach of the Year: Dean Reed - MTL
Rookie of the Year: RB Jimmy Golden - BUF\
Breakout Player of the Year: RB Johnnie Stafford - BUF/LI
Playoff MVP: DL Olaf Viktorsson - OTT
McCallister Cup MVP: WR Max Sutton - LDN

1961 Season

Events:
NAAF implements a salary cap
Trade Deadlines moved to Week 8
An investigation is begun into Worcester Athletics' mismanagement
Buffalo begins talks to build a new stadium
ACFL rumoured expansion
OFU aims at Halifax for 5th team.
Worcester Stadium is burned during the season causing the schedule to be reworked
Athletics’ Owner, Chester Paul, is arrested for arson and insurance fraud after burning the stadium.

1st Overall Pick (also the best player): DB Neville Falkner - Allegheny - Providence Gold Stars
Mr. Irrelevant: DL Chuck Charleston III - Rhode Island State - London Tigers

Biggest Free Agency Move: QB Gene Bishop WOR -> MTL 6Y, $31,500-$34,000

Biggest Trade: 
Deadline Trade

To MTL
OL Cliff Strautzenberger -> Finished Season with MTL -> Signed with LOU
DL Brayden Mills -> Finished Season with MTL -> Retired

To WOR
OL Kurt Booker -> 5.5 Seasons with WOR/HFX -> Signed with LOU
MTL 1962 1st Round Pick (8th Overall) -> QB Michael Benedict -> 4.5 Season with WOR/HFX -> Traded to OTT
MTL 1963 3rd Round Pick (29th Overall) -> OL Millard Streety -> 6 Seasons with HFX, 2 All-Stars
DL Angus MacTavish -> Finished Season with WOR -> Signed with PRO

BOS: QB Nathaniel Braddock - 88 OVR
BUF: DL Lonnie Vincent - 83 OVR
IND: DL William Sanderson - 92 OVR
LI: QB Lyle Painter - 85 OVR
MTL: S Garet deVale - 86 OVR
OTT: QB Jean Matieau - 87 OVR
PRO: DL Calias McDonough - 85 OVR
WOR: LB Scotty Williams - 92 OVR

Awards
MVP: QB Riley Kiernan LDN
Offensive Player of the Year: WR Max Sutton LDN
Defensive Player of the Year: LB Brent Harper BOS
Special Teams Player of the Year: K Nimrod Handsworth LDN
Coach of the Year: Roy Aguirre LDN
Rookie of the Year: DB Neville Falkner PRO
Breakout Player of the Year: QB Charles Lemieux BUF
Playoff MVP: QB Nathaniel Braddock BOS
McCallister Cup MVP: QB Nathaniel Braddock BOS

The 1962 Season

Events:
A new home for the Athletics begins, League takes ownership and Larry Larson is put in charge
Trade Deadline moved back one more week
ACFL introduces Steven Van Fossen as commissioner and adds Boston and Rochester as expansion teams.
OFU’s bid to Halifax is put on hold
The Athletics are purchased by a new owner in Halifax, NS, but will play the 1962 season as a traveling team known as The Athletics.

1st Overall Pick (and Best Player): OL Jean-Baptiste Desjardins - Rideau - Indiana Victors
Mr. Irrelevant: DB Ross McCurtry - Detroit Tech - Boston Independents

Biggest Free Agency Move: OL Cliff Strautzenberger - MTL -> LOU - 2Y, $18,000

Biggest Trade: 

To LOU
LB Scotty Williams -> 4 Seasons with LOU, 1 MVP, 3 All-Stars, 1 McCallister Cup -> Retired

To ATH
RB Stavros Black -> 3 Seasons with ATH/HFX -> Expansion Draft to PIT 
LB Joe Larkin -> 3 Season with ATH/HFX -> Signed with OTT
OL Nicolas-Charles Richard -> 2 Seasons on ATH/HFX Reserve -> Signed to MTL Reserve
LOU 1963 1st Round Pick (10th) -> WR Jav Kerrigan -> 7 Seasons with HFX
LOU 1962 2nd Round Pick (17th) -> DB Ole Snurlson -> 2 Seasons with HFX -> Traded to OTT
LOU 1962 3rd Round Pick (27th) -> Traded to BUF for QB Stanislav Ovechkin and a 2nd Round Pick

ATH: OL Ward Briscoe - 87 OVR
BOS: QB Nathaniel Braddock - 90 OVR
BUF: RB Jimmy Golden - 86 OVR
LI: RB Dareion Fields - 86 OVR
MTL: S Garet deVale - 91 OVR
OTT: S Randall Green - 85 OVR
PRO: DB Neville Falkner - 90 OVR

Awards
MVP: LB Scotty Williams LOU
Offensive Player of the Year: QB Jean Matieau OTT
Defensive Player of the Year: DB Neville Falkner PRO
Coach of the Year: Emil Riddle LOU
Rookie of the Year: LB Orion Carter BUF
Breakout Player of the Year: WR Zachariah Pembroke BUF
Playoff MVP: RB Scott Mallard-White MTL
McCallister Cup MVP: LB Silas O’Brien LOU

1963 Season

Events:
NAAF expands draft to 5 rounds from 4
Buffalo moves into Milton Charles Stadium
OFU announces expected folding following the 1963 season despite compensation given from the NAAF over the Halifax situation.
ACFL’s venture into Boston and Rochester get off to rocky starts.

1st Overall Pick: DL Wayne Baxton - New England - Halifax Mariners
Mr. Irrelevant: WR Lucas Paul - West Mass State - Louisville Thunder
Best Player: LB William Washington II - Western New York - Long Island Raiders

Biggest Free Agency Move: LB Elijah Goldwater - PRO -> MTL - 2Y, $19,500 - NTC

Biggest Trade: 
To MTL
WR Darryl Duke -> 1 Season with MTL -> Signed with LOU
LI 1963 1st Round Pick -> RB Hugo Hughes -> 6 Seasons with MTL -> Signed with MIN

To LI
WR Bernard Sandeirs -> 5 Seasons with LI -> Signed with BOS reserve
MTL 1963 1st Round Pick (9th) -> WR Casey Coleman -> 4.5 Seasons with LI -> Traded to LOU
MTL 1964 Conditional 5th Round Pick -> Conditions not met

BOS: QB Nathaniel Braddock - 90 OVR
BUF: RB Jimmy Golden - 89 OVR
HFX: OL Ward Briscoe - 89 OVR
LDN: QB Riley Kiernan - 88 OVR
LI: RB Dareion Fields - 88 OVR
MTL: S Garet deVale - 89 OVR
PRO: DB Neville Falkner - 92 OVR

Awards
MVP: QB Riley Kiernan LDN
Offensive Player of the Year: RB Scott Mallard-White MTL
Defensive Player of the Year: DB Neville Falkner PRO
Coach of the Year: Roy Aguirre LDN
Rookie of the Year: DL Wayne Baxton HFX
Breakout Player of the Year: DB Lauri Hayha LI
Playoff MVP: QB Connor O’Rourke PRO
McCallister Cup MVP: QB Riley Kiernan LDN

1964 Season

Events: 
OFU-NAAF agree to merger, NAAF to absorb Toronto and Hamilton as teams, but Hamilton’s ownership pulls out leaving Toronto as the only team.
NAAF announces expansion for the 1965 season to even out the teams.
Overtime is added to games during the regular season
Montreal Rouge owner Jean Beaulieu passes away and team is taken over by Alvon Martineau
NAAF announces partnership with Semi-Professional Leagues
Pittsburgh is given expansion team for the 1965 season, narrowly beating out Minneapolis.

1st Overall Pick (and Best Player): RB Max Tracy - New England - Toronto Steelheads
Mr. Irrelevant: DB Gord Honk - Upstate - London Tigers

Biggest Free Agency Move: DB Alexander Bradley - LOU -> LI - 2Y, $28,000

Biggest Trade: 
To BOS
WR Alexei Dubois -> 4.5 Seasons with BOS, 1 All-Star -> Signed with LOU

To IND
WR Orlando Barrack -> 3.5 Seasons with IND -> Signed with PIT
BOS 1965 3rd Round Pick -> Traded to PRO

BOS: QB Nathaniel Braddock - 91 OVR
BUF: RB Jimmy Golden - 91 OVR
HFX: OL Ward Briscoe - 87 OVR
LDN: QB Riley Kiernan - 86 OVR
LI: RB Dareion Fields - 89 OVR
MTL: S Garet deVale - 91 OVR
PRO: DB Neville Falkner - 87 OVR
TOR: DL Lawrence Armstrong - 85 OVR

Awards
MVP: RB Jimmy Golden BUF
Offensive Player of the Year: RB Dareion Fields LI
Defensive Player of the Year: DL William Sanderson IND
Special Teams Player of the Year: K Arthur Kettinger MTL
Coach of the Year: Ronald Martin TOR
Rookie of the Year: RB Max Tracy TOR
Breakout Player of the Year: DB Rutherford Winters LI
Playoff MVP: RB Dareion Fields LI
McCallister Cup MVP: QB Charles Lemieux BUF

1965 Season

Events:
Pittsburgh Blacksmiths join the NAAF
GLFL begins talks to expand into Minneapolis

1st Overall Pick: OL Erik Nelson - Western New York - Pittsburgh Blacksmiths
Mr. Irrelevant: QB Ray Trace - Western New York - Buffalo Blue Wings

Biggest Free Agency Move: DB Malik Davenport - BUF -> MTL - 2Y, $18,000

Biggest Trade: 
To BUF
DL William Sanderson -> 5 Seasons with BUF, 2 Cups, 5 All-Stars

To IND
BUF 1965 1st Round Pick -> DL Brandon Hall -> 5 Seasons with IND
BUF 1966 1st Round Pick -> RB Reggie Whitehead -> 2 Seasons with IND -> Traded to BOS
DB Ike Vander Waal -> 2 Seasons with IND -> Traded to PIT
DB Lou Lake -> 1 Season with IND -> Signed with BUF
BUF 1965 3rd Round Pick -> DB Tim McGovern -> 3 Seasons with IND
BUF 1967 Conditional 5th Round Pick -> LB Ben Morstand -> 2.5 Seasons with IND Reserve ->  Traded to LI

BUF: DL William Sanderson - 91 OVR
HFX: DL Wayne Baxton - 89 OVR
IND: WR Ed Edwards - 89 OVR
LDN: QB Riley Kiernan - 86 OVR
LI: RB Dareion Fields - 89 OVR
LOU: S Johnny Berger - 91 OVR
MTL: S Garet deVale - 92 OVR
PIT: RB Stavros Black - 82 OVR
PRO: DB Neville Falkner - 93 OVR
TOR: DL Lawrence Armstrong - 84 OVR

Awards
MVP: QB Lyle Painter IND
Offensive Player of the Year: QB Nathaniel Braddock BOS
Defensive Player of the Year: LB William Washington II LI
Coach of the Year: Dannell Willis IND
Rookie of the Year: DB Aquillio Ruiz HFX
Breakout Player of the Year: WR Evan Clanton BOS
Playoff MVP: LB William Washington II LI
McCallister Cup MVP: LB William Washington II LI

1966 Season

Events:
NAAF gets logo rebrand
Pittsburgh outsells Hammers during their first season
Boston’s ACFL team continues to struggle
ACFL opens Hall of Fame excluding anyone who is connected to hybrid football and the NAAF.
GLFL adds a team in Minneapolis

1st Overall Pick: QB Louis Vaughn - New England - Pittsburgh Blacksmiths
Mr. Irrelevant: RB Rocky Newton - Northern Indiana - Indiana Victors
Best Player: DB Sergio Alvarez - Haynes - Ottawa Royals - Round 1, Pick 4

Biggest Free Agency Move: QB Lyle Painter - IND -> HFX - 3Y, $27,500-$30,000

Biggest Trade:
To HFX
RB Wally Morton -> 0.5 Seasons with HFX -> Signed with OTT
LB Douglas MacDougall -> 2.5 Seasons with HFX, 1 Cup -> Retired
QB Lee Rogers -> 1.5 Seasons with HFX -> Signed with IND
WR Sam Nash -> 0.5 Seasons with HFX -> Signed with BOS

To OTT
QB Michael Benedict -> 2.5 Seasons with OTT -> Signed with TOR
HFX 1967 1st Round Pick -> QB Martin Keller -> 2 Seasons with OTT -> Picked by MIN in Expansion Draft
LB Enzo Morello -> 2.5 Seasons with OTT, 1 All-Star -> Picked by MIN in Expansion Draft
HFX 1967 3rd Round Pick -> OL Matt Helmut -> 3 Seasons with OTT, 1 All-Star

Honestly, if you were to look at this trade, when it happened, and tell me that the last piece still on either of these teams would be the 3rd Round Pick in 1967 from Halifax, I would be baffled. Low and behold you would have been right somehow. KF11 pointed out that Minnesota may have really been the big winner of this trade.

BUF: DL William Sanderson - 90 OVR
HFX: DL Wayne Baxton - 91 OVR
IND: OL Viktor Stahl - 90 OVR
LDN: OL Emil Jennings - 87 OVR
LI: RB Dareion Fields - 90 OVR
LOU: S Johnny Berger - 89 OVR
MTL: S Garet deVale - 92 OVR
OTT: K Ira Foster - 86 OVR
PIT: OL Wally McRose - 83 OVR
TOR: RB Max Tracy - 86 OVR

Awards
MVP: QB Charles Lemieux BUF
Offensive Player of the Year: QB Lyle Painter HFX
Defensive Player of the Year: S Garet deVale MTL
Special Teams Player of the Year: K Ross Poindexter IND
Coach of the Year: Dannell Willis IND
Rookie of the Year: WR Felix Fontaine BOS
Breakout Player of the Year: WR Shane Steadman HFX
Playoff MVP: QB Charles Lemieux BUF
McCallister Cup MVP: DL William Sanderson

1967 Season

Events:
NAAF announced their own Hybrid Football Hall of Fame to be opened ahead of the 49th McCallister Cup.
NAAF supports new stadium plan in Minneapolis
Van Fossen threatens a new plan to make up for struggles in the ACFL, but other owners are leaning to remove him as the ownership

1st Overall Pick: DL Aaron Henderson - New England - Louisville Thunder
Mr. Irrelevant: QB Peter Dooling - Haynes - Buffalo Blue Wings
Best Player: DL Bernhard Hartmann - UHamilton - Ottawa Royals - Round 1, Pick 3

Biggest Free Agency Move: WR Piers Key - LOU -> OTT - 2Y, $20,000

Biggest Trade: 
To BOS
DB Oliver Langstrom -> 2 Seasons with BOS, 1 All-Star -> Signed with TOR

To LOU
LI 1967 1st Round Pick -> QB David Simmons -> 1 Season with LOU
BOS 1968 1st Round Pick -> LB Daniel Timothy -> 2 Seasons with LOU
OL Bubba Hankins -> 3 Seasons with LOU
DB Ross McCurtry -> 1.5 Seasons with LOU -> Traded to PIT
BOS 1967 3rd Round Pick -> OL Mike Normal -> 3 Seasons on LOU Reserve
BOS 1969 Conditional 5th Round Pick -> OL Gleeson Seidl -> 1 Season on LOU Reserve

BUF: DL William Sanderson - 91 OVR
IND: OL Viktor Stahl - 90 OVR
LDN: OL Emil Jennings - 87 OVR
LI: RB Dareion Fields - 88 OVR
LOU: S Johnny Berger - 87 OVR
MTL: S Garet deVale - 90 OVR
OTT: WR Marshall Leonard - 86 OVR
PIT: OL Erik Nelson - 88 OVR
TOR: RB Max Tracy - 87 OVR

Awards
MVP: S Garet deVale MTL
Offensive Player of the Year: RB Jimmy Golden BUF
Defensive Player of the Year: LB William Washington II LI
Special Teams Player of the Year: K Henderson Schumacher LI
Coach of the Year: Maurice Evanson BUF
Rookie of the Year: DL Bernhard Hartmann OTT
Breakout Player of the Year: QB Buck Murphy LOU
Playoff MVP: DB Rutherford Winters LI
McCallister Cup MVP: QB Charles Lemieux BUF

1968 Season

Events:
New Minneapolis stadium under construction
NAAF announces expansion to Minneapolis and Kansas City. 
Bye weeks are implemented and rosters expanded
Van Fossen is removed as ACFL commissioner, Don Soriano is appointed to replace him

1st Overall Pick: LB Judge Barrett - UHamilton - Toronto Steelheads
Mr. Irrelevant: TE Ben Gibson - Major Cincinnati - Buffalo Blue Wings
Best Player: DL Arthur Bradshaw - Western New York - Pittsburgh Blacksmiths - Round 1, Pick 2

Biggest Free Agency Move: WR Zachariah Pembroke - BUF -> BOS - 2Y, $26,000

Biggest Trade: 
To BOS
RB Reggie Whitehead -> 2 Seasons with BOS, 1 All-Star

To IND
WR Evan Clanton -> 1 Season with IND -> Picked by MIN in Expansion Draft
BOS 1968 2nd Round Pick -> DB Carl Odebell -> 1 Season in IND
BOS 1969 4th Round Pick -> Traded to PRO

BOS: QB Nathaniel Braddock - 92 OVR
BUF: QB Charles Lemieux - 88 OVR
IND: OL Jean-Baptiste Desjardins - 90 OVR
LDN: OL Emil Jennings - 88 OVR
LI: LB William Washington II - 89 OVR
LOU: WR Casey Coleman - 90 OVR
MTL: S Garet deVale - 87 OVR
OTT: DB Sergio Alvarez - 90 OVR
PIT: OL Erik Nelson - 88 OVR
TOR: RB Max Tracy - 89 OVR

Awards
MVP: RB Max Tracy TOR
Offensive Player of the Year: QB Nathaniel Braddock BOS
Defensive Player of the Year: DL Bernhard Hartmann OTT
Special Teams Player of the Year: K Henderson Schumacher LI
Coach of the Year: Jean Matieau OTT
Rookie of the Year: DL Arthur Bradshaw PIT
Breakout Player of the Year: QB Louis Vaughn PIT
Playoff MVP: DL Wayne Baxton HFX
McCallister Cup MVP: QB Lyle Painter HFX

1969 Season

Events:
The Minnesota Serpents officially join the NAAF
Kansas City’s stadium construction put on hold due to record drought in the summer.
No suitable location available, the team is officially delayed until further notice
Hybrid Football Conferences gain more traction.
ACFL merges Boston Shamrocks with Pittsburgh Hammers, Rochester Millers are folded.

1st Overall Pick: LB Garrett Roberts - New England - Minnesota Serpents
Mr. Irrelevant: S Mitchell Schoonhoven - Nova Scotia - London Tigers
Best Player: DL Dallas Breaker - Allegheny - Long Island Raiders - Round 1, Pick 2

Biggest Free Agency Move: DB Neville Falkner - PRO -> IND - 3Y, $40,000

Biggest Trade: 
To OTT
DL Winfield Winchester -> 1 Season with OTT
MIN 1969 2nd Round Pick -> WR Matthre de la Cruz -> 1 Season on OTT Reserve
MIN 1969 5th Round Pick -> RB Théomire Desormeaux -> 1 Season on OTT Reserve

To MIN
WR Ferdinand Matthews -> 1 Season with MIN
MTL 1969 2nd Round Pick -> S Gérard LaCroix -> 1 Season with MIN
LDN 1969 4th Round Pick -> DB Anthony Proulx -> 1 Season on MIN Reserve

BOS: QB Nathaniel Braddock - 92 OVR
BUF: QB Charles Lemieux - 87 OVR
HFX: DL Wayne Baxton - OVR
IND: DB Neville Falkner - 92 OVR
LDN: OL Emil Jennings - 88 OVR
LI: LB William Washington II - 89 OVR
LOU: WR Casey Coleman - 91 OVR
MIN: OL Elias McCarren - 89 OVR
MTL: OL Elliot Barrett - 90 OVR
OTT: DB Sergio Alvarez - 93 OVR
PIT: OL Erik Nelson - 90 OVR
PRO: LB Kurt Warlock - 89 OVR
TOR: RB Max Tracy - 87 OVR

Awards
MVP: QB Louis Vaughn PIT
Offensive Player of the Year: WR Ed Edwards IND
Defensive Player of the Year: DB Neville Falkner IND
Coach of the Year: Soni Dionne MIN
Rookie of the Year: QB Drake Young OTT
Breakout Player of the Year: RB Reggie Whitehead
Playoff MVP: RB Jimmy Golden BUF
McCallister Cup MVP: DL William Sanderson BUF

Last edited by Wallflower (1/27/2023 4:05 pm)

Board footera