Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2023 8:43 pm  #1

The Major Lacrosse Association

Hello everyone! It is I, Jayhawk. After plenty of consideration, I decided that I want back into the game. However, this won't be like any of my other previous disasters. We... we're just gonna brush those under the rug ok? I hope the other disasters won't put a damper on this. This one is actually good. Before I fully introduce everything I wanna say that Lacrosse is a cool sport. Like throwing a ball with a stick, pretty neat. Alright I'll stop dillydallying, my french bread pizza is done anyways.

PLAYER FORM

ORIGNS OF THE MLA
It was a freezing cold day in January, 1969. Entrepreneur Simon Griebel was thinking about turning his amateur lacrosse club into a professional club. The only problem was that there were no professional leagues around.  

Simon thought to himself and knew that this was a huge opportunity for a professional lacrosse league. Simon sprung up and immediately called the owner of his rival team, Brenton Kellan. Brenton said he “sprung up like a spring” (this could not be proven). Along with this he said he could bring in a multitude of other owners in the United States and Canada. Simon and Brenton each left their leagues at the time and decided to make the full commitment.

Simon's team said farewell to the Eastern Lacrosse League and Brenton's team left the Midwest Lacrosse Circuit. Soon after talk after talk, they finally struck 8 other members for the inaugural season. The league would be divided into two divisions.

When the news came out, the media gave Simon a ton of flack. It was lacrosse, who would be willing to sit down and watch lacrosse? Not to mention, this wasn't Simon's first swing at a league like this. However, Simon knew what he was doing (or so he claimed). He knew the market and knew it would all work out. Simon spoke to the reporters and just told them to sit and watch as he grew and marketed the sport across North America. 

The 10 team league will begin in spring of 1970. Welcome to North America’s Newest Pro Sports League, the MAJOR LACROSSE ASSOCIATION! 

Last edited by Jayhawk (1/09/2023 2:03 pm)

1/06/2023 11:53 pm  #2

Re: The Major Lacrosse Association

Our first team up is Simon's own team. Manhattan Lacrosse Club. They were a fantastic team in the Eastern Lacrosse League. The team has been a dominant force ever since their founding in 1877. The team is known for having money and big name players because of their checkbook. Simon prides himself with the strength of his team.

The team plays at the old Blue Jay Park which is a 3,000 seat venue in downtown Manhattan. The field has been owned by the Griebel family since it was built and it is a perfect place to catch a game. It is common for passerbys to stop and watch outside the gates.

Why no Away Jerseys?
Ever since the foundation, Manhattan has always had one uniform. Simon refuses to add an away uniform. During league meetings it was agreed upon that teams would have away uniforms. However, Simon being one of the original founders decided not to add any new uniforms. 

Last edited by Jayhawk (1/07/2023 12:47 pm)

1/07/2023 1:23 am  #3

always good to have company in the "other" section! hopefully you can stick around a while this time 😝

this looks like it's off to a pretty good start! the league logo is a bit basic but it works, and I like that canada and the us are given equal footing. can we expect that to also be the case in terms of number of teams in each country?

manhattan is definitely a fun one, and I love the story of them refusing to have an away jersey, especially with the one jersey they do have. they definitely seem like an annoying team, which will make it all the more fun to root against them lol

good work so far, and looking forward to what else is coming!

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

1/07/2023 12:50 pm  #4

ItDoesntMatter wrote:

always good to have company in the "other" section! hopefully you can stick around a while this time 😝

this looks like it's off to a pretty good start! the league logo is a bit basic but it works, and I like that canada and the us are given equal footing. can we expect that to also be the case in terms of number of teams in each country?

manhattan is definitely a fun one, and I love the story of them refusing to have an away jersey, especially with the one jersey they do have. they definitely seem like an annoying team, which will make it all the more fun to root against them lol

good work so far, and looking forward to what else is coming!

The goal was to have Manhattan be disliked and it worked. Mission successful I guess. As for equal teams in the US and Canada, I cannot answer at this time.

1/08/2023 8:14 pm  #5

Our next team being unveiled in Brenton's team the Chicago Cardinals Lacrosse Club. Founded in 1910, the club embraces the Cardinal nickname, their fans dub them as the "Cardinal Reds". They were a power in the Midwestern Lacrosse Circuit as well as the so-called "National Tournament" which was an invitational lacrosse event for certain teams.

The team plays at the historic Cardinal Grounds. The venue can fit up to 5,000 spectators and is in the heart of Chicago. The stadium is known for packing out its attendance and hitting more than 5,000 people. Lacrosse fans always look forward to taking a trip to this stadium.

Red Away Jerseys?
Unlike Manhattan, Chicago actually looks to add white to their away jerseys. It was agreed that they can keep the Reds because they are technically away jerseys. Brenton looks to change these up in a season or two.

Last edited by Jayhawk (1/08/2023 8:15 pm)

1/09/2023 1:57 pm  #6

Our next club is the Boston Seawolves Lacrosse Club. The owner is Jacob McLellan. McLellan is looked upon as one of the classiest owners in the league and a very respectable person. The club was founded in 1970 as a professional club of an amateur team. Jacob wanted to keep the old Boston Ironsides Lacrosse Club as an amateur club and start a new pro club. Though the Seawolves have a lot of the old Ironsides players.

The team plays at beautiful City Stadium in Boston. The stadium was used for many years as a multi-purpose stadium, hosting baseball and football. The stadium seats just about 20,000 people, which is a bit larger for the MLA. Regardless of the capacity difference, they except to draw some large crowds. 

1/09/2023 11:05 pm  #7

Jayhawk wrote:

Our next team being unveiled in Brenton's team the Chicago Cardinals Lacrosse Club. Founded in 1910, the club embraces the Cardinal nickname, their fans dub them as the "Cardinal Reds". They were a power in the Midwestern Lacrosse Circuit as well as the so-called "National Tournament" which was an invitational lacrosse event for certain teams.

The team plays at the historic Cardinal Grounds. The venue can fit up to 5,000 spectators and is in the heart of Chicago. The stadium is known for packing out its attendance and hitting more than 5,000 people. Lacrosse fans always look forward to taking a trip to this stadium.

Red Away Jerseys?
Unlike Manhattan, Chicago actually looks to add white to their away jerseys. It was agreed that they can keep the Reds because they are technically away jerseys. Brenton looks to change these up in a season or two.

What if instead of going "color home, white away", you just... don't do that. Draw inspiration from soccer and go with a primary set and a clash set, so the Cardinals could go with a black and red and it would be fine!

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

1/09/2023 11:08 pm  #8

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Jayhawk wrote:

Red Away Jerseys?

What if instead of going "color home, white away", you just... don't do that. Draw inspiration from soccer and go with a primary set and a clash set, so the Cardinals could go with a black and red and it would be fine!

White is not technically required but a lot of teams like to run with white for aways. Clash kits may or may not be coming at later dates *wink wink*

1/10/2023 1:37 pm  #9

Our next team is the Cleveland Thunderbirds Lacrosse Club. The Thunderbirds are owned by local businessman Adrian Barnaba. Founded in 1957, they are relatively newer but are very competitive. The Thunderbirds have even competed in a couple National Tournaments.

The name Thunderbirds is inspired from the Burke Stadium. Burke Stadium is located near Burke Lakefront Airport and Aviation High School. 

You can catch a Thunderbirds game at Burke Stadium which is a newly built 15,000 seat venue. The stadium parking lot also plays host to the local Air Shows. If you like aviation and lacrosse, this is your stop!

1/10/2023 8:52 pm  #10

some good stuff lately! I really like chicago and cleveland. they each have a really solid logo and a unique uniform set. I like the sash on the cards as something they can own, and I dig the red aways but it might be tough to keep around with a lot of people still watching tv in black and white. cleveland is also really solid but I don't think they need the black. it's used so sparingly and I think the brown and silver is a strong enough color scheme without it. boston looks a little bit ... dull by comparison, although with them being a brand new team that might make some sense. I do like the colors, though, and I'll definitely be rooting for them because I am an insufferable masshole baby go wolves

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

Board footera