Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/16/2022 1:02 pm  #1

Womens Pro Fastpitch Softball

I am currently creating seasons for women's professional fastpitch softball. My inspiration is the movie, "A League of Their Own." At this time I have three separate leagues that will one day "get together" to form a league that will cover most of the United States and Canada. That won't happen until a fourth league has formed - the Southern Softball Association. In creating the other leagues I have borrowed nicknames from the All-American Girls Baseball League and other sources, and after naming the current 24 teams I am struggling to come up with more, and quite frankly, I'm not that thrilled with some of the current nicknames, but they will suffice. I am now looking for names for the Southern teams. The cities that will populate the Southern Association are:

Atlanta
Birmingham
Dallas
Houston
Memphis
Nashville
New Orleans
Oklahoma City

Some ground rules - the nicknames I prefer would lean to the feminine side, but that isn't necessarily a hard and fast rule. It would be great if the nicknames were representative of the city they are attached to, but again, not a deal breaker if they are not. Lastly, and this is absolutely a must (because I'm a little bit goofy about this) - nicknames must end with an "s", so no Storm or Reign or Thunder. The only other possibility is an "x" as in Sox, but I already have enough of those, unless someone wows me with another. I thank you in advance and look forward to your suggestions. At some point all of this will be brought to life on these pages, hopefully prior to the start of the 2023 season. That reminds me, this league is set in the current day.

12/16/2022 10:37 pm  #2

Re: Womens Pro Fastpitch Softball

New Orleans VooDoo Dolls
Memphis Queens
Houston Cosmos
Oklahoma City Travelers or Baronesses
Atlanta Peaches
Nashville B's (Named after the famous RCA Studio B) or Rockers
Birmingham Vulcans or Railcats
Dallas Bandettes or Belles

Last edited by ZO82 (12/16/2022 11:00 pm)

12/18/2022 12:56 am  #3

Atlanta Acceleration.
Birmingham Belles
Dallas Divas
Houston Hurlers
Memphis Madames
Nashville Nailers
New Orleans Opossums
Oklahoma City Slickers

12/22/2022 6:32 pm  #4

Here are my ideas:

Atlanta Firecrackers
Birmingham Blacksmiths
Dallas Cowgirls
Houston Heroines
Memphis Cleopatras
Nashville Notes
New Orleans Voodoo Dolls
Oklahoma City Oilettes

Would you mind sharing the names you have for the other leagues or do want to keep those secret?

12/23/2022 1:50 pm  #5

Mathemortician wrote:

Here are my ideas:

Atlanta Firecrackers
Birmingham Blacksmiths
Dallas Cowgirls
Houston Heroines
Memphis Cleopatras
Nashville Notes
New Orleans Voodoo Dolls
Oklahoma City Oilettes

Would you mind sharing the names you have for the other leagues or do want to keep those secret?

Here are the other teams. As I said in my first post, some names come from the All-American Girls Baseball League (the movie League of Their Own), and also, the National Girls Baseball League, a pro league which ran at the same time as the All-American League and was based in Chicago. The AAGBL started as fastpitch and gradually converted to baseball over a number of years. The NGBL was always fastpitch. Some of the other names come from other sports and still others are personal preferences of mine.

All-American Softball League
Chicago Blue Sox
Cincinnati Monarchs
Cleveland Comets
Columbus Aviators
Detroit Gems
Milwaukee Robins
Pittsburgh Keystones
St. Louis Redbirds

West Coast Softball League
Hollywood Stars
Los Angeles Angels
Oakland Oaks
Portland Crows
San Diego Sandpipers
San Francisco Bay Sox
Seattle Emeralds
Vancouver Pacifics

East Coast Softball League
Baltimore Bays
Boston Carolines
Brooklyn EM's
Montreal Olympics
New York Bluebirds
New York Hickories
Philadelphia Daisies
Toronto Maple Leafs

It is very likely that some of these nicknames will change over the years, as will some of the cities. For instance, a name like the Maple Leafs will likely change as it is the name of the NHL team and is also the name of a semi-pro baseball team in Ontario, as well as being the nickname of the International League team before the Blue Jays. Conversely, a name like the Oaks will likely stay, even though the Oakland Oaks were a Pacific Coast League team when the PCL was trying to attain Major League status, because I just love that nickname. Stay tuned, I'm going to post the nicknames of the Southern teams after Christmas.

12/26/2022 6:21 pm  #6

As promised, here are the names for the Southern Association, the fourth league that will join three others (All-American, West Coast and East Coast) to form the National Fastpitch Alliance (NFA) beginning in June 2023.

Atlanta Peaches
Birmingham Belles
Dallas Redwings
Houston Magnolias
Memphis Queens
Nashville B's
New Orleans Crescents
Oklahoma City Tornadoes
Thank you to those who participated in the search for nicknames. Some of the suggestions re-affirmed names I was contemplating, others were a direct influence in their own right, and still others helped me to dig deeper to come to a final decision.

Board footera