Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2022 5:05 pm  #11

Re: AltLB Discussion 2023

Yeah, I definitely would prefer OBP to AVG. It's a bit more of a reward for those players that take walks and get on base.

I've been messing with the points based scoring, so it would generate a total score similar to how it works for hockey/football/basketball. The upside with that is that it's more synergistic with the other leagues we have. I've picked 4 games so far that were ties or close games, and they either remained close, or the teams that won categories by a little and lost by a lot moved to losses. It also seemed that the teams that faced ownerless/ambivalent owned teams were more likely to score better in pitching, where the teams that weren't getting lineup updates may have fewer earned runs, so weren't winning ERA/WHIP by having their couple pitchers pitch 12 innings of good baseball and drawing those matchups closer and creating more ties. I'm going to pull a larger sample size (perhaps the entire season) and share those results.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

9/24/2022 9:18 am  #12

I'm just gonna throw one more suggestion out there for when this does get discussed.   I wouldn't mind seeing a penalty added to the Stolen Bases stat for when you're caught stealing, like literally a -1 for every base you're caught stealing.   Currently, if you steal 1 base and get caught 2 times in one week, the score is 1, but it really should be -1 because you're still hurting your team by getting caught so much.

Like I said, I know stat changes will be discussed later, but wanted to throw this out for when that conversation occurs.

10/04/2022 9:20 pm  #13

I'd like to get this out there now as well because I believe next year's draft will be the next one where a fixed draft should happen: we should switch to fixed draft from snake draft. To echo what I said in the AltHL thread, a snake draft makes sense for the first draft where we're trying to get balanced teams but it doesn't for future drafts where we want the bad teams to improve.

10/04/2022 9:27 pm  #14

QCS wrote:

I'd like to get this out there now as well because I believe next year's draft will be the next one where a fixed draft should happen: we should switch to fixed draft from snake draft. To echo what I said in the AltHL thread, a snake draft makes sense for the first draft where we're trying to get balanced teams but it doesn't for future drafts where we want the bad teams to improve.

I agree with the sentiment of a fixed draft for sports like hockey and baseball. But in sports like football and basketball (eventually) where we have rookie drafts - we will be compensating the weaker teams multiple times if move to fix drafts. I am open to how we can figure this out though. 

10/04/2022 9:34 pm  #15

Gritty wrote:

QCS wrote:

I agree with the sentiment of a fixed draft for sports like hockey and baseball. But in sports like football and basketball (eventually) where we have rookie drafts - we will be compensating the weaker teams multiple times if move to fix drafts. I am open to how we can figure this out though. 

Yeah for sure, I just think the drafts that we have that are explicitly to improve weaker teams - like the only draft in hockey and baseball, or the rookie drafts in football or basketball, should be done like a real draft, where weaker teams are rewarded with objectively better picks (instead of a balance) so that they can improve. The free agency draft in football, for example, which has a random order, I think should be a snake draft, because the order wasn't determined by placement.

Ultimately, my sentiment is that it should be possible for bad teams to improve (somewhat) quickly, because right now it can feel like if you have a team that can't compete, there doesn't seem to be a good way to improve. I think a fixed draft helps alleviate these issues as the weaker teams get access to better players.

Board footera