Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2021 9:09 pm  #1

Schism in Soccer. What could the new game variant look like?

Imagine a situation where a group of rich people decides to create their own global governing body as a rival to FIFA, but they decided also make own version of Soccer. What do you think this new version of Soccer could look like?

8/08/2021 7:36 am  #2

Re: Schism in Soccer. What could the new game variant look like?

CubsOrSoxs wrote:

A Version of Gaelic football on Steroids.

Can you explain what do you mean exactly?

8/08/2021 7:52 pm  #3

Different scoring systems, as have been tried sometimes in the past.  Points for corners, points for making the goalkeeper touch the ball.  Perhaps points for shots outside the penalty area.  No offsides.  Unlimited substitution.

1/14/2022 8:10 pm  #4

A modified version of soccer with less players per team (seven versus eleven), a smaller field (70 yards x 35 yards), no heading of the ball, a hockey-like offside rule and smaller (2m x 4m) goals.
The offside rule, which is the major difference, is a modified version of ice hockey’s offside rule. If the ball is inside the attacking team’s offensive zone (25 yards), players can be anywhere on the field. If the ball is outside the offensive zone, players must have at least one defensive player (not including the goaltender) between the goal line and themselves. The ball does not have to precede the players into the offensive zone.
There is also a D-shaped crease which can only be occupied by the goaltender of the defending team.
I have been toying with this concept for quite some time. I will be trying to convince some local soccer teams to play by these rules and see what happens. In my mind, even with smaller goals, I think scores will be in the 5-2, 4-3 range, as opposed to 1-0, 1-1 etc. as is currently seen in soccer at the higher levels.

1/28/2022 10:05 am  #5

their will also be designated 3-pt (and\or 5-pt) area where players can score from 

Board footera