Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2021 1:58 pm  #2671

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Should I be working? Yes... but I am also a MAHL journalist from a small town in Wisconsin, so I believe getting this to the PRESS ASAP holds more value.

Mankato - Look at these guys getting bold. Hopefully this crazy, modern change doesn't upset the traditionalists. Like, dark red? Gasp! Jokes aside, the silver is a lot on the home and I really liked when the striping matched the logo, but I don’t hate the change.

La Crosse – Think they could have left the white out of the home jersey, but they are overall upgrades. The yellow buckets on the away are to die for. That yeehaw number selection still kills me! Haha

Brooklyn Center – I am going to miss the script and heavy use of white, a lot.

Inver Grove Heights – The “IGH” looks a bit like an afterthought. Reminds me of a college conference logo. I am also curious about how they fit the “C” somewhere in there. Solid refresh for the uniforms.

Coleraine – Usually I don’t like the change from logo to block font, but the Trout look good! Their new three stripe balances all the unique colors very well. I think their green jersey would break my top 25 list for the league.

Bloomington – The only thing that feels off about this is that Benji’s ears look like they are facing the wrong way. Everything else feels so so right. With the boy back on the chest, Bloomington can’t be stopped. This was such an unexpected treat! Think that Bloomington should have taken this opportunity to secretly modify the numbers to be a little rounder, but that’s such a small critique.

Kenora – I live for this musky guy. Somehow has an intimidating charm. Biggest upgrade would be dropping the random inner fill on the numbers.

Minneapolis – My baby, all grown up and looking gorgeous! I will miss the script, but this baker’s hat M is stunning and fits the club perfectly. The only reason I am upset is because the logo doesn’t get to shine on the chest. They could have even stayed somewhat unique by using their script, but they picked to go safe and generic with the diagonal lettering. Interesting pick for the font, though.

Yankton - …interesting.

Grafton – Love the G and the chest stripe.

Red Lake Falls Rebels – Reminds me of the Red Deer Rebels… and I am starting to think that was the very intentional inspiration. These Rebs look sharp.
St. Joseph – This logo is gorgeous, and I am so happy it made the chest. The gold lace in the collar is an eye catching touch.

Buffalo – The fish looks a bit like a nuke, but I love this junior-esque take on the Rangers!

Robinsdale – Another sharp looking purple team? Yes, please. Solid logo, clean jerseys and gothic inspiration = seal of approval. Only thing stopping me from loving them is their number font.

Ellsworth – One of my favorite logos in the league. One of my least favorite color combos in the league. I’m just so in the weeds with these Curds!

St. Paul Park – Classic logo that will most likely last! “PARK” looks bold and proud on the jerseys. I am interested to see what it would look like if they just used the SPP from their logo (without the shamrock) on the chest with the same positioning, if that makes sense.

Stewartville – I really like this primary and I kind of wish they carried the font over to the “SCARLETS” on the chest instead of the college block. I also adore  the name they went with.

12/02/2021 2:47 pm  #2672

Having now read this entire thread, I've gotta say that the detail is mind-boggling. With the banners, retired numbers, pathways to pro deals, mascots, and rivalries, it's like the NHL Be a Pro, College Hockey, and the Frozen Four, and the NHL and the hunt for the Stanley Cup all rolled into one. All that's missing is stuff about team and fan traditions and "fan culture" and I think you could make something like a book, movie, comic, or TV show about the MAHL. I am blown away. 

12/03/2021 12:08 am  #2673

Crazy Rider wrote:

Having now read this entire thread, I've gotta say that the detail is mind-boggling. With the banners, retired numbers, pathways to pro deals, mascots, and rivalries, it's like the NHL Be a Pro, College Hockey, and the Frozen Four, and the NHL and the hunt for the Stanley Cup all rolled into one. All that's missing is stuff about team and fan traditions and "fan culture" and I think you could make something like a book, movie, comic, or TV show about the MAHL. I am blown away. 

Thank you, I'm seriously flattered and just happy you enjoy it

It's funny that you mention stuff about fan culture and whatnot, I have recently been working on that kind of thing behind the scenes. I'm trying to figure out what the best way to show that kind of thing would be, but stuff like chants, supporters clubs/sections, toughest places to play, and biggest rivalries could be kind of interesting.

12/03/2021 6:20 am  #2674

Section30 wrote:

Crazy Rider wrote:

Thank you, I'm seriously flattered and just happy you enjoy it

It's funny that you mention stuff about fan culture and whatnot, I have recently been working on that kind of thing behind the scenes. I'm trying to figure out what the best way to show that kind of thing would be, but stuff like chants, supporters clubs/sections, toughest places to play, and biggest rivalries could be kind of interesting.

Seeing the following the MAHL has at this point in time, my thought would be that it could be shown by having the newspapers talking about it in the press, or something like a MAHL segment on evening news....or some really cheap PSA show a la Wayne's World. And someone will probably get it recorded on VHS. That's just off the top of my head, but it's up to you, man. 

12/10/2021 11:48 pm  #2675

Just wanna make some league champion predictions that are sure to be wrong: 
Iron Range: Chisolm Flames
Lake Superior: Proctor Spikes
Northland: Warroad Lakers
Red River: East Grand Forks Pointers

12/15/2021 2:04 pm  #2676

Reports from The HWUspaper are indicating that the hot chocolate is sweeter, the skates are sharper, and the fans are rowdier now than ever down in good ol' Winona! We're excited for the hockey season!

12/15/2021 2:21 pm  #2677

Crazy Rider wrote:

Proctor isn't in the bottom 10 of the league for once, but I don't think they have ever left the bottom two spots in their own conference. This is the hottest take I have seen in MAHL history.

12/15/2021 5:19 pm  #2678

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Crazy Rider wrote:

Proctor isn't in the bottom 10 of the league for once, but I don't think they have ever left the bottom two spots in their own conference. This is the hottest take I have seen in MAHL history.

I’m just looking at his Proctor take and I’m like, “You know what, I don’t agree. Midtier at best, but they won’t win the league.”

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

12/15/2021 8:26 pm  #2679

Crazy Rider wrote:

Maybe, but I DID say they're sure to be wrong. 

12/15/2021 8:28 pm  #2680

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Crazy Rider wrote:

I’m just looking at his Proctor take and I’m like, “You know what, I don’t agree. Midtier at best, but they won’t win the league.”

Noted. I'll be sure to change how I do my predictions. Maybe top 4 to show who gets the playoffs? If anything, It'll warm up the land of 10,000 lakes.

Board footera