Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2021 9:38 pm  #351

Re: The AltHL Season 2020

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Anchorage Huskies - since sled dogs are huskies!
Detroit Gorillas - as a play off of the Grease Monkey nickname for a mechanic
Edmonton Polar Bears - no reason other than... north and snow
Milwaukee Crushers - Famed wrestler "The Crusher" has a statue in the city
Ottawa Foresters - Because fur trading, and Traders was taken
Saskatoon Moose- double up on the double O, and moose and Canada? Yes please!

Ontario also has tons of forests. The largest national park is in or tea too, Algonquin National Park.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

5/04/2021 10:05 pm  #352

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

Third, in Canada, parliament refers to provincial government as well. Up here, we have MPPs and MPs, which stands for Member of Provincial Parliament and Member of Parliament, respectively.

Well this depends on the province, in Manitoba, it is the Legislative Assembly, and members are Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLA). In fact, after looking it up, only Ontario uses the terms you named for their provincial government. The majority refer to it as Manitoba does. 

Last edited by Wallflower (5/04/2021 10:06 pm)

5/04/2021 10:09 pm  #353

We have some good names here, looking forward to seeing what we end up with. 

Here are my submissions...

Saskatoon Snow Beasts - great for alliteration.  Saskatoon also has its fair share of snow. Every year Saskatoon has snow on the ground 130 days a year. Great snow monster possibilities. 

Ottawa Guardians - this name is general enough that our designers can take it in a number of directions. I like the sound of it but it is mainly for the Canadian National anthem lyric, "We stand on GUARD for thee". 

Edmonton Mastodons - always thought this would be a great name for a hockey team. During the Ice Age the Mastodons called North America Alberta home. Plus a bonus! Edmonton is known for oil...where does some of that oil come from? 

Alaska King Crabs - the Crustacean Sensations from state forty-nine! At first I liked the idea of Ice Dogs for the Iditarod but since someone already went that way I like the idea of new take on Alaska. Cool potential and I know some Alaskans who take their seafood seriously. Plus we can throw in royal imagery as well. 

Milwaukee Masons - Milwaukee is known as Cream City for the light colored bricks that the masons used throughout the mid 18th and 19th century. Points for alliteration. Points for two syllables. Plus you have an opportunity to use BRICK WALL ideas.  

Detroit Arsenal - During World War II, Detroit was one of our nation's capitals of what FDR referred to as the ARSENAL OF DEMOCRACY. They played a critical role in the manufacturing of the weapons and machinery that powered the allies to victory. Some good options for logos. A Tank would be cool. 

5/04/2021 10:15 pm  #354

Wallflower wrote:

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

Third, in Canada, parliament refers to provincial government as well. Up here, we have MPPs and MPs, which stands for Member of Provincial Parliament and Member of Parliament, respectively.

Well this depends on the province, in Manitoba, it is the Legislative Assembly, and members are Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLA). In fact, after looking it up, only Ontario uses the terms you named for their provincial government. The majority refer to it as Manitoba does. 

In the US, some states have state Senators in addition to the 2 that serve in DC, but I don't think anyone thought much of it when the Washington Senators existed. Similarly, there are state capitols, but nobody points that out for the Washington Capitals.

Edit bc I'm a nerd: Every state calls their upper house either Senate or State Senate, with the exception of Nebraska, which has a unicameral body called the legislature, whose members are still called Senators. 41 States call the lower house the House of Representatives; MD, VA, and WV call it the House of Delegates; WI, NY, and CA have a State Assembly, NV has an assembly, and NJ has a General Assembly.

Last edited by sportsfan7 (5/04/2021 10:22 pm)

5/04/2021 10:53 pm  #355

Alaska Walruses - Goo goo g'joob!  The waters of Alaska are full of walruses, and no other sports team has ever had that as its nickname before (a missed opportunity, as they're big, strong and tough but gentle)

Detroit Blue Collars - a tribute to Detroit's history of industry of all kinds (especially autoworkers).  Plus, we get a unique jersey feature out of it.

Edmonton Evergreens -  though one of the names in the EE football's rename-the-team contest, I figured it would work well here should it not be chosen.  It rolls off the tongue and reflects the majestic forests of the upper Alberta scenery.

Milwaukee Music - Greater Milwaukee's the home of music recording innovator Les Paul, and is the home of the world's largest music festival in Summerfest.  Also, expect plenty of "chin music" when the puck goes flying.

Ottawa Enforcers - If "Mounties" won't work as a name, then Enforcers is the next best thing...also, it's everybody's favorite role in hockey

Saskatoon Power - Saskatoon's power is in its POW (potash, oil and wheat) industries, lending to its nickname of the "POW City." (And yes, as owner of SF for now, I would be OK with it using Oakland's nickname)

5/04/2021 10:55 pm  #356

sportsfan7 wrote:

Wallflower wrote:

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

In the US, some states have state Senators in addition to the 2 that serve in DC, but I don't think anyone thought much of it when the Washington Senators existed. Similarly, there are state capitols, but nobody points that out for the Washington Capitals.

Edit bc I'm a nerd: Every state calls their upper house either Senate or State Senate, with the exception of Nebraska, which has a unicameral body called the legislature, whose members are still called Senators. 41 States call the lower house the House of Representatives; MD, VA, and WV call it the House of Delegates; WI, NY, and CA have a State Assembly, NV has an assembly, and NJ has a General Assembly.

North Carolina's legislature is called the General Assembly, as opposed to Congress. Within that, we have a Senate and a House of Representatives (apparently called the House of Commons before 1868).

5/05/2021 6:05 am  #357

QCS wrote:

sportsfan7 wrote:

Wallflower wrote:

North Carolina's legislature is called the General Assembly, as opposed to Congress. Within that, we have a Senate and a House of Representatives (apparently called the House of Commons before 1868).

There's two assemblies within parliament with different roles, power, authority, and means of election, I believe. I'm not saying it can't work, just throwing it out there as food for thought.

Burmy, Mounties works but again, food for thought. It isn't like Provincial Police, the Mounties are our national force.

5/05/2021 8:05 am  #358

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

3pointtally wrote:

Anchorage Stars - After the star on the mountain in Anchorage

Detroit Pines - Official state tree is the White Pine Tree

Edmonton Mounties - RCMP are in Alberta

Milwaukee Lakers - They are on Lake Michigan

Ottawa Parliament - A parliament is a group of owls and Parliament Hill is where the Government of Canada is.

Saskatchewan Farmers - Heart of the farmland in Canada.

Three problems. Stars is an NHL name for one.

Second, the RCMP actually cooperates all across Canada. Originally it was more limited to the West and Northwest (formerly was know as the Royal Northwest Mounted Police or something very close) so I find that is a bit of a foul. Would be like saying the FBI only cooperates in Washington or New York.

If this comes off a little strong, I apologize, just wanted to point a couple of things.

Thanks for the Stars heads up. I always forget that its NO NHL names and not NHL names as long as it's a different market.

As for the other 2, I'm from Ontario. I know what the RCMP is. The RCMP are active in Edmonton though where-as they are not active in cities like Toronto. It wasn't suppose to be that deep anyways, it was just a name with Canadian symbolism that fit with the city as the Mounties are actively in the city.

The Parliament one is literally just a play on words. Parliament Hill. Members of Parliament. Parliament keeps coming up in Ottawa, a Parliament is a group of Owls, it was just a play on words to give us something else to work with.

[/url][url=https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=190]
www.yorkland.tk <--- Official home of the fictional country of Yorkland

5/05/2021 9:32 am  #359

3pointtally wrote:

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

3pointtally wrote:

Anchorage Stars - After the star on the mountain in Anchorage

Detroit Pines - Official state tree is the White Pine Tree

Edmonton Mounties - RCMP are in Alberta

Milwaukee Lakers - They are on Lake Michigan

Ottawa Parliament - A parliament is a group of owls and Parliament Hill is where the Government of Canada is.

Saskatchewan Farmers - Heart of the farmland in Canada.

Second, the RCMP actually cooperates all across Canada. Originally it was more limited to the West and Northwest (formerly was know as the Royal Northwest Mounted Police or something very close) so I find that is a bit of a foul. Would be like saying the FBI only cooperates in Washington or New York.

If this comes off a little strong, I apologize, just wanted to point a couple of things.

Thanks for the Stars heads up. I always forget that its NO NHL names and not NHL names as long as it's a different market.

As for the other 2, I'm from Ontario. I know what the RCMP is. The RCMP are active in Edmonton though where-as they are not active in cities like Toronto. It wasn't suppose to be that deep anyways, it was just a name with Canadian symbolism that fit with the city as the Mounties are actively in the city.

The Parliament one is literally just a play on words. Parliament Hill. Members of Parliament. Parliament keeps coming up in Ottawa, a Parliament is a group of Owls, it was just a play on words to give us something else to work with.

It was just food for thought, mate, that's all.

5/05/2021 9:43 am  #360

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

3pointtally wrote:

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

It was just food for thought, mate, that's all.

It's all good man, no hard feelings, just trying to add more context to my submissions. 

[/url][url=https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=190]
www.yorkland.tk <--- Official home of the fictional country of Yorkland

Board footera