Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2021 7:55 pm  #341

Re: The AltHL Season 2020

Alaska Ursas (Ursa means bear and the constellation on the Alaskan flag is of Ursa Major)
Edmonton Drillers (oil)
Ottawa Dominion (for the Dominion of Canada)
Motor City Muscle (a Euro flair to the "exquisite" car manufacturing history in Detroit)
Saskatchewan Lake Monsters (a nod to the Turtle Lake Monster and the facts that Sask has 100,000 lakes)
Milwaukee Bridge Trolls (history time, a few years before Milwaukee was created there were 3 towns in the area, each of the cities had their own bridges that connected over the Milwaukee River but due to different layouts and laws there were a ton of hostilities between them and eventually it broke out into a "war" that even included a cannon being aimed at a mayors house. It ended with the formation of Milwaukee, and even today bridges often run at an angle due to the different road layouts on either sides of the river.)

Last edited by master BDoof (CodeG) (5/04/2021 7:57 pm)

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

5/04/2021 8:00 pm  #342

Michigan Milkmen - The farmers of Michigan churn out 5% of the nation’s milk and 80% of the nation’s great alliteration (citation needed).
Edmonton Moose - Thars moose in them thar woods.
Saskatchewan Lakers - If you thought Minnesota’s 10,000 lakes were impressive, Saskatchewan has 10x as many, so be … more impressed, I guess?
Alaska Fishermen - The ocean provides for these hardy northerners. Also has a great rhythm.
Ottawa Traders - Ottawa comes from the Algonquin Odawa, meaning "to trade".
Wisconsin Knights - A chivalrous name for a chivalrous state. Also the demonym is Wisconsinite, a homophone.

5/04/2021 8:11 pm  #343

ANDY! wrote:

Anchorage: Alaska Snappers- The Pacific Red Snapper can be found in waters near Anchorage
Saskatoon: Saskatchewan Jive- Saskatchewan is home to a famous jazz music festival.
Edmonton Miners- Haha almost oil I'm creative
Detroit Nighthawks- Kinda showing the darker side of the city
Milwaukee Bobcats- Wildlife fits I guess
Ottawa- I give up. I'm sure Osgiliath has a better idea than me

Why thank you, my friend. Perhaps, but I still struggle with names because I want to try and steer away from my militaristic tendencies.

ANCHROAGE TIGERS after snowy tigers which thrive in the arctic tundra like Alaska, plus the logos and the colours would be cool.

SASKATCHEWAN LEGENDS due to the many legendary players that come from the province. I imagine almost a VGK colour scheme, or at least gold and silver.

EDMONTON CHINOOKS after the chinooks that populate the prairies, or after the choppers that share the name.

DETROIT PUGILIISTS after the many boxers that hail from the city.

MILWAKEE---I'll pass on this one, with all due respect.

OTTAWA THESPIANS after the National Arts Center that calls Ottawa home.
OTTAWA ARCHIVISTS since Ottawa hosts multiple national museums including the War, Science and Technology, Art, and one more I can't remember....

Hope I can nominate two names for Ottawa, but if not, flip a coin. Heads is Thespians and tails is Archivists. With this batch of names, I desperately tried to avoid my normal militaristic names. 

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

5/04/2021 8:33 pm  #344

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

As a college theatre major, this makes me very happy to see a theatre related name

Owner of the AltHL's Alaska Auroras, AltLB's Kansas City Colts, AltFL's Kentucky Stallions,  AltCAA's University of Kansas City Cosmos (2001 Legacy Champions)

5/04/2021 8:44 pm  #345

Magical_Kittenz wrote:

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

As a college theatre major, this makes me very happy to see a theatre related name

<tips cap>

5/04/2021 8:46 pm  #346

Anchorage Pilots - Boat or Airplane
Detroit Muskrats - After the Muskrat French
Edmonton Eddies - Similar to the Phillies
Milwaukee Deutschlanders - Another spin on the city's German heritage
Ottawa Otters - Not a bad alliteration
Saskatchewan Siblings - Saskatoon & Regina

5/04/2021 9:14 pm  #347

Anchorage Constellations - After the star on the mountain in Anchorage

Detroit Pines - Official state tree is the White Pine Tree

Edmonton Mounties - RCMP are in Alberta

Milwaukee Lakers - They are on Lake Michigan

Ottawa Parliament - A parliament is a group of owls and Parliament Hill is where the Government of Canada is.

Saskatchewan Farmers - Heart of the farmland in Canada.

Last edited by 3pointtally (5/05/2021 7:52 am)

[/url][url=https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=190]
www.yorkland.tk <--- Official home of the fictional country of Yorkland

5/04/2021 9:20 pm  #348

For those that don't want to repeat names, I've got a list right here for ya:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HrOHnqXKSspT3SOG_pK3_5FTqHF4ZE8j_JjtKySyOUI/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: Along with a list of all current Alt League names:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10e2kBDilGcxS86w31ZE3idDAslBfpTosS-VnUVHrsMQ/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by QCS (5/04/2021 9:20 pm)

5/04/2021 9:24 pm  #349

3pointtally wrote:

Anchorage Stars - After the star on the mountain in Anchorage

Detroit Pines - Official state tree is the White Pine Tree

Edmonton Mounties - RCMP are in Alberta

Milwaukee Lakers - They are on Lake Michigan

Ottawa Parliament - A parliament is a group of owls and Parliament Hill is where the Government of Canada is.

Saskatchewan Farmers - Heart of the farmland in Canada.

Three problems. Stars is an NHL name for one.

Second, the RCMP actually cooperates all across Canada. Originally it was more limited to the West and Northwest (formerly was know as the Royal Northwest Mounted Police or something very close) so I find that is a bit of a foul. Would be like saying the FBI only cooperates in Washington or New York.

Third, in Canada, parliament refers to provincial government as well. Up here, we have MPPs and MPs, which stands for Member of Provincial Parliament and Member of Parliament, respectively.

If this comes off a little strong, I apologize, just wanted to point a couple of things.

Last edited by Osgiliath Guard (5/04/2021 9:25 pm)

5/04/2021 9:31 pm  #350

Anchorage Huskies - since sled dogs are huskies!
Detroit Gorillas - as a play off of the Grease Monkey nickname for a mechanic
Edmonton Polar Bears - no reason other than... north and snow
Milwaukee Crushers - Famed wrestler "The Crusher" has a statue in the city
Ottawa Foresters - Because fur trading, and Traders was taken
Saskatoon Moose- double up on the double O, and moose and Canada? Yes please!

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera