Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2021 2:09 pm  #1291

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

Enigmajones wrote:

Dont know where Worcester will land by next season, but I would try for Portland, Maine. Its a medium sized city and would be retain the Athletics in New England. The only problem I can think of is lack of a appropriate venue.

New England Athletics, has a nice ring to it.

3/08/2021 2:23 pm  #1292

ZO82 wrote:

Enigmajones wrote:

Dont know where Worcester will land by next season, but I would try for Portland, Maine. Its a medium sized city and would be retain the Athletics in New England. The only problem I can think of is lack of a appropriate venue.

For once, me and ZO82 agree! I actully like the name New England Athletics a lot! Portland, ME is a good spot. Same with Manchester, NH, Springfield, MA and Burlington, VT. I'm sure the A's will find a home eventually. 

3/08/2021 2:52 pm  #1293

No chance that the league will return to Hartford, CT?

3/08/2021 5:13 pm  #1294

Based on the expansions to Indiana and Louisville on the last expansions, it feels like the league is more likely to push the boundaries of the league into new markets (again, I would expect a team in Ohio or Pennsylvania) instead of return to a previous market. But nothing would surprise me. Except way out of the footprint (West Coast, for example)

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

3/08/2021 5:52 pm  #1295

Worcester, more like Worstcester... Am I right??? 

... honestly though, the A's moving to Philadelphia would be an amazingly hilarious twist of fate and fiction.

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

3/08/2021 6:38 pm  #1296

There appear to be loads of different ideas about where the Athletics may end up in the future. I'm liking some of the predictions and even team name ideas as well.

To respond to ZO82, I suppose #savetheathletics would be used if... well... Twitter existed in 1961, haha

For others who, I know, are super curious about where the team will end up or are asking some questions about it, I don't want to say anything until I reveal it in the story. It won't be long, so stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1961 Week 10

Ottawa Royals - 24, Providence Gold Stars - 25 - Royals Stadium at Brewer Park - August 24, 1961 - 7 PM ET - TNF - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
0-7 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Cedric Peterson
7-7 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Chester Bennett
2nd Q
7-10 PRO - FG K Ira Foster
7-13 PRO - FG K Ira Foster
14-13 OTT - RTD RB Alexei Volkov
3rd Q
14-19 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Cedric Peterson
17-19 OTT - FG K Maurice Lafayette
4th Q
24-19 OTT - PTD QB Jean Matieau -> WR Mackenzie Jones
24-25 PRO - PTD QB Connor O’Rourke -> WR Sammy Moss 

The Gold Stars pulled off their third straight win narrowly topping the Ottawa Royals on a late touchdown from Connor O’Rourke.
DB Jared Francis grabbed a pick and LB Daevion Shelton and DL Craig White had a forced fumble in the win.
Ottawa had some help from DL Olaf Viktorsson on a forced fumble as well, but it is clear they have just not been themselves this season at all.
The win would clinch the Gold Stars a return to the playoffs. 

Montreal Rouge - 26, Louisville Thunder - 29 - Mount Royal Stadium - August 25, 1961 - 7 PM ET - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
3-0 MTL - FG K Arthur Kettinger
3-7 LOU - RTD RB Stavros Black
10-7 MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Ray Lopez
2nd Q
10-13 LOU - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> WR Piers Key
17-13 MTL - RTD RB Scott Mallard-White
3rd Q
18-13 MTL - Single K Arthur Kettinger
18-16 LOU - FG K Theodore Provost
4th Q
18-23 LOU - PTD QB Leonidas Dumont -> WR Ben Roland
18-26 LOU - FG K Theodore Provost
24-26 MTL - PTD QB Gene Bishop -> WR Derek Cross
26-26 MTL - 2PT QB Gene Bishop -> WR Taylor Karis
26-29 LOU - FG K Theodore Provost

A final quarter filled with fireworks ended with the Thunder narrowly coming out on top to stick in the race with the Tigers in the West division.
Leonidas Dumont continued his super-strong season with another 2-touchdown performance.
Gene Bishop matched Dumont’s 2 TDs including one that pulled the team back into a tie with just over a minute left in the game.
Louisville’s secondary still showed up with S Johnny Berger grabbing a pick on Bishop, which should be matched by Montreal's S, Garet deVale, who had the lone pick for the Rouge. 

London Tigers - 24, Indiana Victors - 20 - Western Fair Stadium - August 26, 1961 - 3 PM ET - Weather: Cloudy
1st Q
0-7 IND - RTD RB Johnnie Stafford
2nd Q
3-7 LDN - FG K Nimrod Handsworth
3-10 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
10-10 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Jack Duncan
3rd Q
17-10 LDN - RTD RB Eric Sydney
17-17 IND - PTD QB Stanley Troyer -> WR Alexei Dubois
4th Q
17-20 IND - FG K Ross Poindexter
24-20 LDN - PTD QB Riley Kiernan -> WR Max Sutton 

The Victors seemed to be able to find the Tigers’ weaknesses in both games this season against them, but it wasn’t enough to stop them.
The Tigers lost RB Clifford Russell for what looks to be a long-term injury and that affected their ability to move the ball consistently.
They would get some help from the defence with DB Ricardo Salvador getting a pick and a DL Olympus Heights forced fumble.
The win keeps the Tigers ahead of the Thunder in the divisional race.  

Boston Independents - 23, Long Island Raiders - 20 - Richardson Stadium - August 26, 1961 - 7 PM ET - SNF - Weather: Partly Cloudy
1st Q
0-3 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
3-3 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
2nd Q
10-3 BOS - RTD RB Kendall Morgan
10-6 LI - FG K Henderson Schumacher
3rd Q
10-13 LI - RTD RB Dareion Fields
13-13 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
20-13 BOS - PTD QB Nathaniel Braddock -> WR Ellis Lindholm
4th Q
23-13 BOS - FG K Johnnie Berg
23-20 LI - PTD QB Lyle Painter -> WR Darryl Duke

The Independents grabbed a close win over the Raiders who have now dropped back-to-back games as the season is coming to a close opening the door for Buffalo and Ottawa to be able to make late pushes for the playoffs. 
QB Nathaniel Braddock was able to get back to the endzone through the air after being shutout in the last two games. 

Worcester Athletics - 13, Buffalo Blue Wings - 33 - Richardson Stadium - August 27, 1961 - 4 PM ET - Weather: Clear
1st Q
0-3 BUF - FG K Donald Brewer
2nd Q
3-3 WOR - FG K Elvis Franklin
3-9 BUF - RTD RB Jimmy Golden
3-16 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR LeRoy Krueger
3rd Q
10-16 WOR - RTD RB Lawrence Sharp
10-23 BUF - PTD QB Charles Lemieux -> WR Daniel Irons
10-26 BUF - FG K Donald Brewer
4th Q
13-26 WOR - FG K Elvis Franklin
13-33 BUF - RTD RB Cody Barnes 

It was not a pretty game for the Athletics in their first pseudo-home-game in Richardson Stadium. The Charles Lemieux-led Blue Wings steamrolled the Athletics defence with a consistently strong offensive attack.
Buffalo, seeing the Raiders lose the day before, seemed to have a little more fight in them and were able to turn that into their 4th win of the season.DB Lou Lake and S Frazier Brooks both had a pick in the game after QB Terry Bourbon took over for the injured Caldwell Higgins III in the second. 

Injury Report
TE Paul McDowell LDN - 12 Weeks
RB Clifford Russell LDN - 6 Weeks
OL Bruce Wesley LI - 1 Week
LB Sam Fitzroy MTL - 7 Weeks
OL Bravon Covington OTT - 11 Weeks
LB Douglas MacDougall OTT - 3 Weeks
QB Caldwell Higgins III WOR - Day-to-Day

Player of the Week 

OFF: WR Cedric Peterson PRO - 2 Receiving Touchdowns, 114 Receiving Yards 

DEF: S Frazier Brooks BUF - 1 Interception, 1 Forced Fumble, 6 Tackles, 2 Passes Defended 

Standings
WEST
London 9-1 -x
Louisville 8-2 -x
Long Island 4-6
Buffalo 4-6
Indiana 1-9 

EAST
Boston 8-2 -x
Montreal 7-3 -x
Providence 6-4 -x
Ottawa 2-7
Worcester 0-9

Power Rankings
1 - London -
2 - Louisville -
3 - Boston -
4 - Providence +1
5 - Montreal -1
6 - Buffalo -
7 - Long Island -
8 - Ottawa -
9 - Indiana -
10 - Worcester - 

Week 11 Games
OTT (2-7) @ WOR (0-9) - AUG 31 - 7 PM ET - Thursday Night Football @ Richardson Stadium
BOS (8-2) @ MTL (7-3) - SEP 1 - 7 PM ET - Friday Night Football
*BOS clinches East Division with Win or Tie + PRO Loss
LDN (9-1) @ LI (4-6) - SEP 2 - 7 PM ET - Saturday Night Football
*LDN Clinches West Division with Win + LOU Loss
PRO (6-4) @ BUF (4-6) - SEP 4 - 2 PM ET - Labour Day
LOU (8-2) @ IND (1-9) - SEP 4 - 5 PM ET - Labour Day
WOR (0-9*) @ OTT (2-7*) - SEP 4 - 8 PM ET - Labour Day 
*Both records will change with their first game.

3/08/2021 7:41 pm  #1297

Alright, it's playoff time in Providence! With wins over both Boston and Louisville, I'm filling pretty good about the odds of the team when the games are played barring any major injuries.

3/09/2021 2:15 am  #1298

Rugrat wrote:

ZO82 wrote:

Enigmajones wrote:

For once, me and ZO82 agree! I actully like the name New England Athletics a lot! Portland, ME is a good spot. Same with Manchester, NH, Springfield, MA and Burlington, VT. I'm sure the A's will find a home eventually. 

They could potentially spend next season testing some markets as the New England Athletics ( I would say 2 games each in three markets). That way they can see if the markets have the feasible support.

Owner of the Texas Jackalopes 
2008-2009 AltBA Champions

3/09/2021 12:14 pm  #1299

Other cities that could land the A's

Allentown, PA 
Albany, NY 
Toledo, OH
Windsor, ON
Trenton, NJ
Rochester, NY
Syracuse, NY
Binghamton, NY
Scranton, PA
Wilmington, DE
Grand Rappids, MI
Charlotte, NC (May be a longshot but would still expand the league south. QCS correct me if i'm wrong, but Charlotte is close enough to Louisville for it to work)
Erie, PA
Fort Wayne, IN
Peoria, IL

3/09/2021 1:39 pm  #1300

Cities I think could become the new hosts of the Athletics:

Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Egg Harbor, WI
Egg Harbor City, NJ

No, really. The destination of the A's has already been decided (as are most things). Let the story play out, let the news be revealed in due time, and enjoy the ride. It is great to be excited, but keep in mind that history has already been written.

Board footera