Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2021 9:06 pm  #41

Re: NASCAR Alcada Series (Hand Drawn)

Congrats to Norman, and that color scheme is absolutely gorgeous.

1/12/2021 7:33 pm  #42

QCS wrote:

Congrats to Norman, and that color scheme is absolutely gorgeous.

On that note, I do have to shout out the designer of that scheme: my sister. I wasn’t happy with how the original turned out, so I actually just redid that drawing a few days ago. It was initially going to be the usual JNR templated design in white with purple bottom stripes and none of the teal, but my sister was bored and decided to help out and came up with the purple->black-> teal gradient, so I went with it lol.

1/22/2021 9:46 pm  #43

Race 8. Rayleigh Speedway. 307 Laps, 399 Miles

Race Summary
    While the season to this point had seen multiple great battles and nail biting races, the visit to Rayleigh would be a bit of a letdown in that department. From the unloading of cars on Friday morning through the checkered flag on Sunday afternoon, passing would be extremely difficult with many drivers complaining that their car simply couldn’t navigate through traffic. The Rayleigh Speedway is the newest track on the schedule, being completed in 2014 and hosting its first major race in 2016, but many feel that it was just poorly designed with its extremely flat turns making passing difficult. As a result, this event would turn into a track position battle, with the majority of passing occurring during pitstops and clean air being king. The most notable example of this would occur after the first round of pitstops. Second place starter Caleb Jordan would jump out front for the first 26 laps, but after a spin by James Chambers, who collected Nick Andrews, brought out the first yellow of the day, William Hayes’ number 18 team would make a two-tire call to jump from 6th in the running order to the lead. Hayes would hold this for the next 74 laps, but was never able to get too far away from Jordan’s number 90. Caleb Jordan quite clearly had the better car, but every time he got within range to make a move, Hayes would jut take away his line and he’d fall off again. Eventually he would use the bumper to move Hayes up the track and work around him, and soon he’d pull back away to a big lead. Hayes, on the other hand, would start to fall like a rock. While passing was difficult, Hayes’ call of two tires did lead to him slipping and sliding a bit more than others, so eventually he couldn’t just take away their line, as he couldn’t hold it. Unfortunately though, this would essentially be it for action. A couple of cautions for small incidents would occur, but nothing major would take place throughout the rest of the event, with the only lead changes taking place during green flag pit stops with Pete Tucker and Tommy Cunningham each inheriting it for a handful of laps. Tucker would continually get close to Jordan's bumper, but never had the opportunity to make the pass he needed and would have to settle for second. But while the race was not exactly notable, the winner would be, as rookie Caleb Jordan would bring home his first career win in dominating fashion, leading 213 of the race’s 307 laps.

Caleb Jordan does burnouts after capturing his first career victory

After the race, however, several drivers would take to social media to address the lack of passing:

When asked his opinions about the passing in his post-race media session, race winner Caleb Jordan was, understandably, mixed in his opinions:
“I think today was great, but then again, I do have a trophy with my name on it that may be causing some bias. Those complaints are from James [Norman], right? He’s just jealous I led more laps today than he has all season [laughs]. No, but seriously, I do think we had a big issue with passing today. Hell, a car that couldn’t even hold on to a top ten spot held us off for more than 70 laps on two tires, so yeah, it was hard to make moves. Obviously as a driver it would be nice to have a viable second groove to make passes, but sometimes that’s how things go. I can’t complain though, I’m going home with this thing [holds up trophy].”

Results:
1. 90, Caleb Jordan
2. 00, Pete Tucker
3. 52, Stan Gordon
4. 0, Tommy Cunningham
5. 01, Jared Tyler
6. 45, Clay Harris
7. 1, Johnny Jennings
8. 91, Tony Clark
9. 80, Natalie Reid
10. 7, Marshall Thorton
11. 16, Tom Johnston
12. 18, William Hayes
13. 99, Denny Bryan
14. 9, Thomas Copland
15. 10 Seth Nichols
16. 60, Carlton Clark
17. 8, James Norman
18. 40, Greg Peterson
19. 71, Keller Burns
20. 55, Lucas Morris
21. 15, Darren Cannon
22. 22, Corey Mason
23. 13, Lance Williams
24. 20, Jason Faulk
25. 5, Ray Kelly
26. 31, Ross Gill
27. 08, James Chambers
28. 21, Nick Andrews
29. 34, Taylor Patterson

Lap Leaders: C Jordan (213), W Hayes (74), P Tucker (14), T Cunningham (6)

Up Next: We turn right! The series heads to the road course at Road Alcada. For several drivers, this will be their first time on a road course as the NSCa hadn't featured a road course on its schedule since the 1970s, therefore the drivers who focused entirely on that series never got a chance to drive one. Until then though, thanks to all for reading and I hope you stop by again for more!

1/23/2021 10:48 am  #44

Even if this course was a bit of a disappointment, you found a way to make this a good read with the fake Twitter posts!  Very creative idea!

1/23/2021 12:20 pm  #45

NASCAR looks fantastic! I love the write ups and the story is really good!

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

1/28/2021 3:10 pm  #46

Historian’s Corner
Episode IV: An Unprecedented Event

In the years since his brother’s departure, Carlton Clark had continued to find success. While he’d fail to bring home a championship in 2001 and 2003, he’d continue his winning ways with 9 total wins in ’01 an 10 total in ’03. The 2002 season would be his best of this short stretch with 10 wins and the ASCRA championship. However, everyone’s biggest question was if he was better than Ty Norman, or vice versa. For years, the two would find themselves competing for championships, but never in the same series as Norman focused on the ARL while Clark focused on the NSCA and ASCRA. While Norman would occasionally compete in the ASCRA, he never ran enough races to satisfy the wishes of the fans. But all of that would change in 2004. The two, who had become good friends behind the scenes, would hold a joint press conference announcing that for the first time since 1987 and only the forth and fifth time in history, a driver would attempt a run at all three championships in the top series of motorsports. The hype was, understandably, massive, as the undoubted two best drivers in the sport at the time would be going head-to-head on a regular basis and challenging each other for the title. The challenge would be immense, as the two would be competing every weekend from the beginning of March through the middle of November, often multiple times in a weekend and sometimes even multiple times in a day. In addition, some races would conflict with each other, so it would be impossible to run every race in every series, increasing the ability for the rest of the field to get points while they weren’t there. The two were up to the challenge though, and through the first few months, things were exactly as exciting as everyone had hoped. Through the first 8 NSCA races and first 6 ARL races, the two had finished 1-2 in 5 races, with Norman having a 3-2 edge, though Clark had the overall advantage 4-3. At this point, everything was going outstandingly, with everyone getting what they had wished for. Soon, however, things would change. With the ASCRA kicking off, the schedule would get that much more brutal, and it began to show in performance. Hitting the middle of the summer, the wear was beginning to show. In July, while Clark had won 9 races to Norman’s 7, Norman held a slim points lead in the ARL, but they had dropped to positions 2 and 4 in the NSCA and 2 and 3 in the ASCRA. This fade would continue, and mental mistakes became common occurrences between the two, with several mistakes being made that were simply not usual for drivers of their caliber to be making.

By the time the NSCA and ARL seasons wrapped up in September, the two had DNFed more than anyone else, and they had failed to win since Ty’s 8th win of the season in the last weekend of July. Norman would bring home points finishes of 5th in the ARL and 7th in the NSCA, while Carlton’s finishes would be 6th and 5th. Over in the ASCRA, the season would continue for a few more weeks, and this time saw Ty Norman snag another two wins to take the overall lead between the two 10-9, but they’d still struggle home to finishes of 5th (Norman) and 7th (Clark) in points. Following the season, Clark immediately called the experiment a complete failure. “I stretched myself too thin. There’s just too many races to run and it wore me out. I don’t think you’ll be seeing me do the triple again.” On the other hand, Norman was optimistic. “No, I think it’s just a learning curve. I’m not used to this kind of demand on my body and mind, but give me an offseason to work and I’ll be fine. Now I know what I have to prepare for.

Board footera