Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/07/2020 8:12 pm  #21

Re: NASCAR Alcada Series (Hand Drawn)

Interesting! Carlton's dominance reminds me of Jeff Gordon's mid-90s success, Hopefully Tony will get his chance to shine at Moorison. I'm really impressed by your drawings, they convey a real sense of motion, like they were pictures, which is incredible.

12/09/2020 10:41 pm  #22

What's the current year for this series right now?

12/10/2020 12:46 am  #23

QCS wrote:

Interesting! Carlton's dominance reminds me of Jeff Gordon's mid-90s success, Hopefully Tony will get his chance to shine at Moorison. I'm really impressed by your drawings, they convey a real sense of motion, like they were pictures, which is incredible.

I appreciate the kind words! Jeff Gordon is definitely a fair comparison and was undoubtedly a subconscious inspiration lol. As for Tony, his part will (unfortunately) get put off to the side for a little while, but I promise we'll circle back around and get to see some positive storylines out of him before too long.

12/10/2020 12:49 am  #24

NeoPrankster wrote:

What's the current year for this series right now?

Currently we're looking at the year 2018. I think I mentioned it in the initial post, but that's the year I've committed to, even though a few aspects like logos and car bodies may be from 2019 or 2020. Reasoning: I needed a year to tie it down on, but I didn't want it to be 2020, so I just went with the year the ground levels of this project started.

12/10/2020 1:01 am  #25

Race 4. Winston Superspeedway. 202 Laps, 400 Miles

Race Summary
    As we headed into the first super speedway race of the year, the natural expectation was for chaos, especially since the ASCRA had never featured a super speedway on their schedule and drivers who focused entirely on the ASCRA had little experience pack racing, but despite an early crash giving minor damage to Peter Miles, James Chambers, Corey Mason, Jake Leonard, and a couple others, things would remain fairly calm..... errr, clean. Things definitely were not calm. The lead would be exchanged many times among 17 drivers with tons of shuffling in the running order via the nature of pack racing. Cautions would fly a handful of times for a few spins and minor accidents, like the one mentioned above, but it seemed like the first super speedway race of the year would actually manage to pass without any major crashes. As the night moved on, it had become clear that the fastest cars were the 99 of Denny Bryan, the 7 of Marshall Thorton, and the 00 of Pete Tucker. Despite the incredible amount of mixing up of the running order, these three would still manage to combine to spend 138 laps in the lead, and with around 25 to go, these three would find themselves in positions 1, 3, and 4, with Nick Andrews sliding into second. Instead of fighting it out and risking either a crash or major loss in positions, the four cars would stay single-file and begin to create a bit of a gap back to the rest of the pack, with the intentions of making the move for the win late in the race. They would continue to ride it out, with announcers and fans alike making references to “the calm before the storm,” and that’s exactly what it would be. With 4 to go, the group had pulled away by a little over a second from fifth, and Nick Andrews had a massive run on leader Denny Bryan. Andrews would make a move low, but when he jumped out of line, Marshall Thorton and Pete Tucker would stay high. Bryan would move low to block the run from Andrews, but he would be just a bit late, sending the 21 spinning down the track and himself moving back up the track right into the path of the Thorton-Tucker tandem, resulting in a massive crash among those three. For a second, it almost looked like Nick Andrews would be able to make the save, but right as he was about to have it straightened out, his car would swing back up the track into the oncoming pack, resulting in the collection of several others into the crash.

The leaders crash fighting for the win, setting up a Green-White-Checkered finish

After a red flag to clean up the track, the race would resume with Tommy Cunningham in the number 0 leading over teammate James Norman, Lucas Morris, Stan Gordon, and Jason Faulk. The race would come down to a green-white-checkered finish, bumping up the total laps to 205. On the ensuing restart, Cunningham would get a major shove from Morris, though Norman would struggle to get up to speed and fall back in the running order. Lucas Morris would continue to push, and the tandem would jump out by a decent margin, but Stan Gordon, back in 6th after a poor restart, would get a push from Caleb Jordan. The two would have a massive run down the backstretch on the final lap, with Gordon managing to pull alongside Lucas Morris, but Cunningham would drop low to make the block, holding on to take his first win of the season, followed by Stan Gordon in second and Lucas Morris in third.

Tommy Cunningham holds on to take his first win of the season. Sponsor: Valvoline

Results
1. 0, Tommy Cunningham
2. 52, Stan Gordon
3. 55, Lucas Morris
4. 90, Caleb Jordan
5. 16, Tom Johnston
6. 20, Jason Faulk
7. 8, James Norman
8. 34, Taylor Patterson
9. 71, Keller Burns
10. 01, Jared Tyler
11. 18, William Hayes
12. 15, Darren Cannon
13. 10, Seth Nichols
14. 1, Johnny Jennings
15. 60, Carlton Clark
16. 91, Tony Clark
17. 65, Jaime Reed
18. 40, Greg Peterson
19. 66, Peter Miles
20. 08, James Chambers
21. 22, Corey Mason
22. 77, Jake Leonard
23. 99, Denny Bryan
24. 9, Thomas Copeland
25. 45, Clay Harris
26. 5, Ray Kelly
27. 00, Pete Tucker
28. 21, Nick Andrews
29. 95, Rick Cross
30. 7, Marshall Thorton
DNQ: 31, Ross Gill

Lap Leaders: D Bryan (59), M Thorton (41), P Tucker (38),T Clark (13), J Chambers (9), J Jennings (8), S Nichols (6), D Cannon (6), J Tyler (6), J Norman (5), T Johnston (4), C Jordan (3), L Morris (2), S Gordon (2), P Miles (1), G Peterson (1), K Burns (1)

12/11/2020 9:14 am  #26

That's a nasty crash. Glad that everyone walked away from that.

12/11/2020 11:14 am  #27

Oof that is one bad crash. Happy that no one got seriously hurt there. 

12/11/2020 2:01 pm  #28

Does Lucas Morris not have a car sponsor?

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

12/11/2020 3:30 pm  #29

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Does Lucas Morris not have a car sponsor?

Yes and no. His team, Nance Motorsports, is more of a mid-pack team and doesn't have a ton of funding or sponsorship. They've managed to pull together roughly two thirds of a season's worth of sponsorship, primarily from a (fictional) sea food chain restaurant in Cap'n Mike's Bar, but the remaining races are run unsponsored. That is a big part of why Nance's other full time car and part time car are notably off of where Lucas Morris runs, as his 55 is considered the "primary" car and the other two simply run to collect prize money to support his effort. It's an unfortunate situation to be in, but not every car on every team can be championship caliber.

12/11/2020 5:43 pm  #30

Not a big NASCAR fan, but the art work is phenomenal.

Owner of the Texas Jackalopes 
2008-2009 AltBA Champions

Board footera