Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2020 8:35 pm  #2121

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

1981 Kellogg Cup Playoffs: Second Round - South

Mankato Moose vs Winona Wildcats
Winona got off to a great start, scoring twice in before Mankato could respond. The Moose were quick to tie things up in the second and from there they never looked back. Mankato would light the lamp 3 more times in the second to take a commanding 5-2 lead after 2 periods of play. A 2 on 1 gave the Moose their sixth and it was all but over after that. The Wildcats did get a shot to squeak under the Mankato goalies arm for their third of the game, but it would not be nearly enough. Mankato cruises to their 4th Super Series appearance with a 6-3 win over Winona.

Burnsville Bucks vs Luverne Flying Dutchmen
Burnsville seemed to have woken up a bit after a close call against Rochester in the first round. The Bucks came out flying, buzzing the offensive zone for most of the first and leading 2-0 after 1. Burnsville popped home a rebound to extend their lead to 3 midway through the second. The Dutchmen were finally able to get something going on their second powerplay of the game, setting up a one timer to get on the board and make it 3-1. Any momentum Luverne gained form their goal was quickly taken away with Burnsville rifling a shot post and in to extend the Bucks lead back to 3. That would be all she wrote as Burnsville holds on to return to the Super Series for the third time in team history with a 4-1 win over Luverne.

Rochester Mustangs vs Austin Mavericks
The Rochester Recreation Center was filled with nearly 2,700 fans to witness the Austin-Rochester rivalry with a trip to St. Paul on the line. It was a physical first period with both teams letting their presence be felt, finishing off checks and chirping back and forth. The first ended scoreless, and the second was about the end the same way. Rochester had just killed off a penalty and the man coming out of the box was still in the neutral zone when the Mustangs gained control. The Mustangs were able to hit the man up ice with the homerun pass, sending him in all alone on a breakaway that he buried to give Rochester a 1-0 lead with 56 seconds left in the second. The momentum from the late goal was prevalent at the beginning of the third with Rochester coming out flying. The Austin goaltender was on top of his game, keeping all of the Mustang shots out and keeping his team alive. Austin was finally able to get some sustained pressure later in the period and it paid off with a shot from the point getting through a screen to tie the game at 1-1. That would be it for regulation with neither team able to take the lead, so it was off to overtime. Overtime was much more like the first period with both teams playing a bit more conservative and physical. 20 minutes passed and still no winner so we went to double overtime. The same thing happened in the second ot, although there were a couple chances for both teams. It wasn't until midway through overtime 3 that we finally had a winner. Austin was controlling the puck in the offensive zone and a shot was fired from the right faceoff circle. It was hard and low but was easily stopped by the keeper, but the rebound off the leg pad went to the far side where a Maverick was there to put it home. The Maverick players flooded the ice and mobbed the goal scorer. It took over 110 minutes to decide it, but the Austin Mavericks are heading back to the Super Series for the 5th year in a row, beating the Rochester Mustangs by a final score of 2-1.

Brookings Buffaloes vs Sioux Falls Packers
Back and forth, back and forth... that is how this one went. These Southwest Association rivals kept one upping each other on the scoreboard. Brookings was in the lead first, then Sioux Falls scored two to take the lead. Brookings tied it 2-2 late in the second, then took the lead early in the third. The Packers scored two quick goals to make back the lead, but once again they couldn't hold on as the Buffs tied the game at 4 with 3:22 left in regulation, sending the fans on hand into mayhem. Overtime was needed and it was all Brookings. The "Lets Go Buffaloes!" and "Go Buffs Go" chants rang out even through the resurface after regulation. The momentum was all with the Buffs and despite the best efforts of the Sioux Falls goaltender, were able to find the back of the net on a shot from the slot. Brookings Memorial Arena exploded in cheers and Buffaloes flooded over the boards. Brookings is heading to the Super Series at long last, taking down their rivals from Sioux Falls by a final score of 5-4.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

11/27/2020 8:57 pm  #2122

1981 Kellogg Cup Super Series Bracket

Playdowns Preview

Brookings Buffaloes vs Burnsville Bucks
The Buffaloes are making their long awaited debut on the big stage, but standing in their way are the South Metro Champions from Burnsville. Brookings has won their league for the last 3 years and have shown this year that they can win when it matters, taking down their rivals and perennial contender Sioux Falls to get here. Burnsville has been a fringe contender for years now and a win here could help cement them as one of the top teams in not only the South, but the MAHL. Will the #17 Buffaloes keep their playoff run going? Or will #21 Burnsville win their first Super Series game?

Twin Cities Vulcans vs Chisholm Flames
The Vulcans look to be back, but this will be the true test of whether the St. Anthony curse is truly gone. Chisholm is the closest thing to a Cinderella run we have this year, but I wouldn't call them Cinderella. The Flames have earned their spot here, upsetting East Grand Forks and Winnipeg as well as beating Little Falls just to get here. Will the Vulcans live up to their #9 ranking and advance? Or will unranked Chisholm keep their Kellogg Cup dreams alive?

Maplewood Retrievers vs Superior Lakers
The Retrievers are coming off a huge win over the defending champions to get here after a long 7 year drought. Superior is also coming off a drought, theirs of 5 years, but the Lakers are far more concerned with bringing the cup back to the Badger State. Will #16 Maplewood be able to shut down the Lakers? Or will #25 Superior reign supreme and advance?

Brainerd Lumberjacks vs Austin Mavericks
A couple Super Series mainstays facing off for the second time, the Mavericks won their first meeting in the 1977 Playdowns. Brainerd is a legit contender, winning the Granite Hockey League and rolling over Grand Rapids and St. Cloud to get here. Austin is looking to bring the Cup back to SPAM-land for the first time since 56 and it's getting to now or never time with this group. Will Brainerd avenge their loss from 5 years ago? Or will Austin keep their season alive and advance?

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

11/28/2020 2:19 am  #2123

Playdown Predictions

Chisholm over Twin Cities
A late goal by the Flames brings back memories of St Anthony

Brainerd over Austin
The Lumberjacks chop down the Mavericks

Superior over Maplewood
The Lakers retrieve a win from Minnesota

Brookings over Burnsville
The Buffaloes win the Battle of the BBs

11/28/2020 10:45 am  #2124

I'm gonna laugh so hard if the Vulcans actually win this championship so soon after dropping that accursed St. Anthony name and went back to Twin Cities!   

In fact, for no particular logical reason other than I want to see it happen, I'm picking them to win it all, beating the Waves in the final!

11/28/2020 7:40 pm  #2125

My hope is that the Bucks make a run, but I also always support Moose 2 when Moose 1 are figuring things out. Wouldn't mind seeing the Waves grab a ship either.

As for the updates, I love the River Bats brand. They will be joining my collection of favored teams. The Bluegills are also a charming club.

Thinking about it, my list is getting lengthy. What does everyone else's group of favorite teams look like? Is it fair to say we are allowed to cheer for two teams per division at this point? Maybe one in the smaller divisions.

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (11/28/2020 7:52 pm)

11/29/2020 3:15 pm  #2126

Go Vulcans! People might hate us, but we're just trying to put St.Anthony to shame, just as we're gonna do to the Flames!

Texans.Astros.Rockets.Lighting. 

11/29/2020 3:24 pm  #2127

The hate is real for St. Anthony, I see...now I really hope they get an expansion team soon to get outside that shadow (and form a strong rivalry too)

11/30/2020 2:31 am  #2128

Yoooo Lets Go Goldies All The Way Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Speaking of Goldies, could I get a color updated banner of Maplewood?

Last edited by TourneyEarnie (11/30/2020 2:31 am)

11/30/2020 4:37 pm  #2129

TourneyEarnie wrote:

Yoooo Lets Go Goldies All The Way Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Speaking of Goldies, could I get a color updated banner of Maplewood?

Here you go!

11/30/2020 5:00 pm  #2130

Even though I am never active on this thread (due to my little knowledge about Hockey and all I know about Minnesota is that is has the opposite climate of Arizona and that is was where George Floyd was murdered) how do you simulate this Section30?

Board footera